Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 6:19:41 PM EDT
Discovered for the first time in about 15 years, I am below 10,000 rounds of .22

Also of note, over 60% of my 5.56 stock is M855

to

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The group of guys I hand out with always joke "he who dies with the most guns wins", so we just keep on collecting, also "he who passes with the most ammo gets second place".

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I try to keep a log, but discipline slacks off here and there. Gives you something to do beside shovel.

Debating whether to get some more green tip or accept it as gone and just hold the stash.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Keeping the running log is the tough part. I always have issues with how much I shot and through which gun. I come pretty close though. Every spring I do a complete inventory of rounds, mags, and guns. The guns don't change too much, mags don't change much, but they do..., and bullets. This year I was only off by 432 rounds. Not too bad in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I too do a yearly round and mag count .
I keep it on a excel spreadsheet . I usually pack the night before I go to the range so I put a predetermind amount of ammo in my range bags. It's fairly easy to maintain but there are some discrepancies sometimes
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I keep a running inventory in my computer and simply print it off to verify quantities.  Back when I was owing dozens of calibers to feed my large flock of C&R rifles, it was impossible to keep what I owned in my head.  I'd end up buying 1000 round of this or that not realizing that I needed another caliber, not the one that just arrived.

Then I bought an entire pallet of 30cal ammo cans.  It was easy to make a nice shelf for them to live on all properly labeled.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you feel you need 10 thousand rounds of 22 for anyway?  A massive plinking day?  I'm not concerned about my 22.  I'm more concerned about keeping a good supply of primers, powder and bullets for everything I reload.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you feel you need 10 thousand rounds of 22 for anyway?  A massive plinking day?  I'm not concerned about my 22.  I'm more concerned about keeping a good supply of primers, powder and bullets for everything I reload.
View Quote

What do you feel you need a good supply of primers, powder and bullets for?

That 10,000 rounds probably cost him $200 15 years ago when he first got it up there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought it cause it's "my" money, that's why!- when we get into justification games then we fall into the strategy of those that want to ban what we enjoy!
Why do you need this...
Why do you need that...
Why? Cause at this moment it's my money and I will buy whatever I want! That's why!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#9]
The real problem with buying ammo is keeping it fresh.  Even if it comes in a spam can, there's no guarantee that it hasn't been contaminated.  I store every round I own in sealed ammo cans.  A flood or fire or tornado could hit and all of my stuff will still be usable.

A number of years back I had a sealed spam can of Korean 30.06.  Sealed.  I opened it up only to find that there were droplets of bright blue copper salts everywhere in that can. Bright robin-egg blue. The ammo sucked to high-heaven.  I had at least 50% "click-bangs" which was really dangerous.

It took a while to figure out what had happened.  Turns out that what did happen was the little Korean fella who packed my ammo can before it was soldered shut was sweating.....sweating a lot.  His sweat dripped into the can and, after 4 decades, that salt water began to bother the ammo sealed inside.  I ended up giving it away as components.  Even the primers were affected.

Rome
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The real problem with buying ammo is keeping it fresh.  Even if it comes in a spam can, there's no guarantee that it hasn't been contaminated.  I store every round I own in sealed ammo cans.  A flood or fire or tornado could hit and all of my stuff will still be usable.

A number of years back I had a sealed spam can of Korean 30.06.  Sealed.  I opened it up only to find that there were droplets of bright blue copper salts everywhere in that can. Bright robin-egg blue. The ammo sucked to high-heaven.  I had at least 50% "click-bangs" which was really dangerous.

It took a while to figure out what had happened.  Turns out that what did happen was the little Korean fella who packed my ammo can before it was soldered shut was sweating.....sweating a lot.  His sweat dripped into the can and, after 4 decades, that salt water began to bother the ammo sealed inside.  I ended up giving it away as components.  Even the primers were affected.

Rome
View Quote

I don't doubt what you say is true, however I have fortunately never experienced that- I have ammo sealed in Tina from the late 40's early 50's and it's all been click/bang good shit!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I spent last night 'converting' m193 > m855.  I ran out of green paint after 5000.  Neckbeard time.  Who needs some green tip? :D
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

So I don't run out. Can't reload .22, as far as I know. Just about all the stuff I have been shooting was purchased 10-12 years ago. Makes me sad when I see a price tag on a 100 pack of $2.99. Should have bought more...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top