Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 3:31:52 AM EDT
Does anyone know of any further training after the basic NRA course, that can be taken without a permit. And gives certification.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of any further training after the basic NRA course, that can be taken without a permit. And gives certification.
View Quote

Training for what? , for what certification , without which permit?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you know glock is perfection without having a permit.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

XDm > M&P > glock

Try muzzlefront or king33.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#3]
To get your permit in CT you must complete the basic pistol course, whether you think you know how to handle a firearm or not you still must take it. All of us have been there and done that. You must learn the basics before you can become "tier 1". I'm sure most advanced classes won't even let you touch a gun until you have that permit. So suck it up pay the $100 for the basic class, learn safety and get your permit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How do you know glock is perfection without having a permit.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

H&K > XDm > M&P > glock

Try muzzlefront or king33.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the OP has taken the basic NRA course and wants to get a jump start on some shooting while waiting on the permit. Unfortunately I don't believe that there are any classes that don't require at least a permit. Also, most "certifications" will just be a piece of paper from whatever private outfit teaches you a class. I'd wait for the permit, buy a gun and shoot it first. I think you will get more if you take your time. Think about it like this, your 16 and waiting to get your drivers license but want to take some NASCAR classes. They probably wouldn't let you drive the car without the DL and what would you even get from the class.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are willing to travel to NH, Sig rents handguns for many of their courses.

What type of certification are you looking for? If you are trying to get a certification for permit purposes, you are going to need to take a course approved by DESPP for that purpose.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a number of places across the state where you can get additional training, beyond the state required course to obtain a pistol permit. Most if not all places require you to hold a valid pistol permit as a pre-requisite to enrolling in their courses.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Glock #1
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Master Vance is that you?

I've got some bad habits and I was thinking of king33 for some training in the spring/summer.

Eventually I'd like to try that shoot house.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I apologize again I'm usually not this much of an ass. It's a phase... I think.

I was really hoping he would report back with the butt chewing or laughing at he got from King33 or Muzzlefront.

I agree with as posted above. I know it's exciting, but just patient and follow the process. It will be more rewarding in the end.

This would have also been easier if you gave a few more details. Are you of age to get a pistol permit, are you a restricted person? Have you submitted you application to carry already?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Specter Tactical located in southeast CT.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
King 33, there new indoor range will be opening soon. its badass to say the least
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, I was working 3rd shift. Sorry, I should have gave more information. I have already taken the NRA course. I just wanted to further my training and knowledge as I wait. A friend of mine is going to start taking defensive pistol in Bridgeport but he told me to look for one I can take as well. JohnsMyName, I loved your simile, however I look at not like NASCAR. I actual did get my license at 16 and after I took the basic drug and alcohol class. I enrolled in an addition driving course to better prepare myself.  I'm not looking to learn how to clear houses or take head shots at a "bad guy" with a hostage or anything. Just more firearm handing, drawing from concealment, etc.

Edit: 21 years old, No restriction, and yes application has been submitted.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry, I was working 3rd shift. Sorry, I should have gave more information. I have already taken the NRA course. I just wanted to further my training and knowledge as I wait. A friend of mine is going to start taking defensive pistol in Bridgeport but he told me to look for one I can take as well. JohnsMyName, I loved your simile, however I look at not like NASCAR. I actual did get my license at 16 and after I took the basic drug and alcohol class. I enrolled in an addition driving course to better prepare myself.  I'm not looking to learn how to clear houses or take head shots at a "bad guy" with a hostage or anything. Just more firearm handing, drawing from concealment, etc.

Edit: 21 years old, No restriction, and yes application has been submitted.
View Quote

where are you located
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in Watertown but I can travel.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm in Watertown but I can travel.
View Quote

I commend your trying to get familiar pre carrying. Too many people get a license and carry guns with zero knowlefge of how to handle littlelone use their firearm. Once the snow melts and depending on your availability, I'd be willing to give you some pointers in Andover on a weekend. Sorry no certificates though.

PM me if your interested.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top