Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2015 11:45:19 AM EDT
When M855 hits $1.25 a round I will Neckbeard my stash. Not much only 2.5k... money is money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm painting the tip of all my wolf ammo green

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

thats a true neckbeard
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just the tip....
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When M855 hits $1.25 a round I will Neckbeard my stash. Not much only 2.5k... money is money.
View Quote

a yup- I'm gonna do the same thing
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the lowest you would take. I'm thinking $1 a round I should sell.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would be surprised if you ever got called out on it. The type of person panic buying 855 for over a dollar a round likely has no idea what a head stamp or magnet check is.

And you could list it as "green tipped ammo"
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Forget about green...go for black!

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Forget about green...go for black!

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#11]
What's it selling for right now?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#12]
.77 a round shipped
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is the lowest you would take. I'm thinking $1 a round I should sell.
View Quote

In my opinion the longer you hold it the more it will be worth. Check gunbroker, it's just the beginning.

Neckbeard or Bust

I'm painting green tips on my m193 right now With nail polish

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget to glue the round to the magnetic to show it is true ss109.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I stopped buying green tip when I realized just how shitty an anti personnel round it really is.  Now I have just enough. Maybe a little I could part with for the right price.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Tgs outdoors in Branford has a bunch of green tip. Neck beard it while you can . I would have bought some if I didn't just spend 2k on a rifle
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Just necked 300 rounds today, Ill beard them at a later date.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I might pick up more. I am not a huge fan of the stuff. Not a very accurate round for target. Obviously against a man sized target you will score a hit.

Rather have the 77gr match ammo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#20]
A few days ago, when the news of BATFs plans came out, I ordered a couple cases of 1000 loose rounds from SGAmmo. I get them delivered to my father-in-law in Florida. They DID have plenty at that point. Now they got OOGATZ!

ETA a zero. Always short one, when typing out numbers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#21]
other then stomping on our rights... whats the big deal with this ammo? i always regarded it as plinking ammo
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#22]
AND it's not even "armor piercing", like people claim it to be.

Military Ammunition and Why Green Tip M855 is Not Armor Piercing

Regardless of whether it's preferable or not... There's still a shit-ton of people who think it is. And it's always good to have for trade value.

Cigarettes are known to be bad for you. I'll never smoke. But they're virtually gold in times of need.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
other then stomping on our rights... whats the big deal with this ammo? i always regarded it as plinking ammo
View Quote

From what I've gathered, it's milsurp. We should be able to have milsurp.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I stopped buying green tip when I realized just how shitty an anti personnel round it really is.
View Quote

Interesting...Would it be possible for you to elaborate a bit on this? I've read that it doesn't fragment as well as M193 at longer distances and that the steel core results in a lack of consistency in regards to accuracy, but I've yet to hear it trashed this badly

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys are late to the party!

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interesting...Would it be possible for you to elaborate a bit on this? I've read that it doesn't fragment as well as M193 at longer distances and that the steel core results in a lack of consistency in regards to accuracy, but I've yet to hear it trashed this badly

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I stopped buying green tip when I realized just how shitty an anti personnel round it really is.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too.  I've stockpiled Israeli SS109 on the theory that the Israelis are world experts at gunning down Palestinians sneaking across the border.

The main objection I;ve heard is that SS109s are meant for 20 inch Rifle barrels.  When used in 14 or 16 inch shorty barrels the round loses a quarter of its muzzle energy so it doesn't reach the high velocity the steel core needs to go splat when it hit a Palestinian.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:31:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'd like to know this too.  I've stockpiled Israeli SS109 on the theory that the Israelis are world experts at gunning down Palestinians sneaking across the border.

The main objection I;ve heard is that SS109s are meant for 20 inch Rifle barrels.  When used in 14 or 16 inch shorty barrels the round loses a quarter of its muzzle energy so it doesn't reach the high velocity the steel core needs to go splat when it hit a Palestinian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Think about it, do you guys know of ANY hunting round that's FMJ let alone has a piece of steel in it?  

No, no is the answer.  It's a general purpose round created in the cold war, so it's designed to to everything kinda "meh ok".  Doesn't so anything really good.  Accuracy, meh, ok....  Penetrating armor, meh, ok.....  Soft tissue damage, meh ok if you shoot them enough..... Go through hard objects like walls, pretty well.

Just look at Iraq/afghan, saw gunners have raked insurgents with this stuff only to have them keep running, they bleed out and died later but doesn't drop them.  We practice failure to stop drills now to shoot at bones and the head since its been an issue.  Multiple center mass shots and the guy keeps running at the Marines.  

It was created to fight the Russians or similar uniform army guys wearing steel helmets and 70s era type body armor.  The mil still uses it just because they don't change shit unless they have to.  Civies will buy it because 1 the gov says they can't have it, 2 they actually think it's the best shit ever made just because the mil goes through a billion rounds a year or what ever.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Yesterday at Delta, I learned alot of steel case ammo had steel core bullets.  I never knew that and tested the theory this morning.  My herters aka tula, wolf and a few S&B attracted a magnetic.  Those rounds vary from FMJ 55/62gr and HP 62grs.

With the inflated prices of bullets and ammo, something else to look out for.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Think about it, do you guys know of ANY hunting round that's FMJ let alone has a piece of steel in it?  

No, no is the answer.  It's a general purpose round created in the cold war, so it's designed to to everything kinda "meh ok".  Doesn't so anything really good.  Accuracy, meh, ok....  Penetrating armor, meh, ok.....  Soft tissue damage, meh ok if you shoot them enough..... Go through hard objects like walls, pretty well.

Just look at Iraq/afghan, saw gunners have raked insurgents with this stuff only to have them keep running, they bleed out and died later but doesn't drop them.  We practice failure to stop drills now to shoot at bones and the head since its been an issue.  Multiple center mass shots and the guy keeps running at the Marines.  

It was created to fight the Russians or similar uniform army guys wearing steel helmets and 70s era type body armor.  The mil still uses it just because they don't change shit unless they have to.  Civies will buy it because 1 the gov says they can't have it, 2 they actually think it's the best shit ever made just because the mil goes through a billion rounds a year or what ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

It was designed with the steel core primarily to stabilize in rifles with other than 1/9 twist rates
Not designed to go thru armor- armor was not even used when bullet was designed
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yesterday at Delta, I learned alot of steel case ammo had steel core bullets.  I never knew that and tested the theory this morning.  My herters aka tula, wolf and a few S&B attracted a magnetic.  Those rounds vary from FMJ 55/62gr and HP 62grs.

View Quote

Russian ammo that you describe has  mild steel jacket ( that leads to barrel throat erosion quicker) not a steel core. The steel jacket is what attracts the magnet- the core is lead.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Check out tacked threads and Google searches on m855 performance. Many reports that m855 does not yaw and fragment as well as other munitions at closer ranges. Many reports of battle field pass throughs, resulting in small entry and exits wounds, allowing the enemy to remain in the fight. This has to do with the very nature of the round as well as the current use of the m4 vs m16 ( barrel length).

another note, the military is currently replacing m855 for m855a1 due to its lack of performance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Russian ammo that you describe has  mild steel jacket ( that leads to barrel throat erosion quicker) not a steel core. The steel jacket is what attracts the magnet- the core is lead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Delta also told me running any steel Tula through my AR would ruin it lol. Well...they can keep shooting their brass case occasionally as funds allow, and I'll keep blasting mine. Lucky gunner did a test, by the time your barrel wears out from steel case bimetal jacket ammo you can buy 3 quality barrels with the money saved

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Delta also told me running any steel Tula through my AR would ruin it lol. Well...they can keep shooting their brass case occasionally as funds allow, and I'll keep blasting mine. Lucky gunner did a test, by the time your barrel wears out from steel case bimetal jacket ammo you can buy 3 quality barrels with the money saved  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it's a stainless match rifle,  I'll shoot the shitiest Tula/wolf garbage I can get my hands on.

I have about 800 rounds of hornady TAP and some nasty stuff with a different colored tip for shifty situations
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Is m885a1 available to the public to purchase ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Is m885a1 available to the public to purchase ?
View Quote
Hellllll no. Hardened steel penetrator. However supposedly a while back if you ordered regular 885 from Lake City (not sure) sometimes you'd get a round in a box loaded with a m885a1 projectile. This was a while back tho.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

good read
View Quote
I have some 855, but I've never actually put any through any of my AR's.  Based on that article, I may just fire a few to test accuracy through my 16" and 22" barrels, then probably just 'beard the rest.

The ZQI SS109 I grabbed at Wal Mart this morning says "THIS HIGH QUALITY AMMUNITION IS MADE TO NATO SPECIFICATIONS AND LOT TESTED TO ASSURE LESS THAN ONE MINUTE OF ANGLE AT 100 METERS." on the side of the box.  Probably not, eh?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Check out tacked threads and Google searches on m855 performance. Many reports that m855 does not yaw and fragment as well as other munitions at closer ranges. Many reports of battle field pass throughs, resulting in small entry and exits wounds, allowing the enemy to remain in the fight. This has to do with the very nature of the round as well as the current use of the m4 vs m16 ( barrel length).

another note, the military is currently replacing m855 for m855a1 due to its lack of performance.
View Quote

...which gets back to what I said before.  These rounds were designed when 20 inch rifle barrels were standard issue.   Because a quarter of the barrel was chopped when they went to the M4, the bullet leaves the barrel before the optimum pressure is reached so the bullet doesn't reach the hypervelocity it was designed to reach for the bullet to tumble and splinter when it hits a target, and instead just pushed its way through the same way any other low velocity round (I.E. .45) does.  They're essentially cutting off a leg off a horse and then wonder why the horse can't run as fast as it did before.  Ironically this is very close to the problem they had during Vietnam; the rifle was designed for cartridge A and then after production began the rifle was issued cartridge B.  

Conversely, this is exactly why rounds like the .300 BLK has more punch than the .556; not because of the greater sized bullet, but because of the heavy charge of faster burning pistol powder the round uses that were designed for short barrels (I.E. 16 grains vs the normal 11 grain of a.44 magnum powder).

In short, if you have a rifle length AR-15, M855 will do exactly what you want them to do.  If you have a carbine, consider swapping it out for .300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Well if anyone's interested wally world in Groton has about 10, 150 rd boxes of M855. $69.99 ea.

ETA Federal bulk packs...
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well if anyone's interested wally world in Groton has about 10, 150 rd boxes of M855. $69.99 ea.

View Quote

I have successfully neckbearded the Manchester WM dry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

...which gets back to what I said before.  These rounds were designed when 20 inch rifle barrels were standard issue.   Because a quarter of the barrel was chopped when they went to the M4, the bullet leaves the barrel before the optimum pressure is reached so the bullet doesn't reach the hypervelocity it was designed to reach for the bullet to tumble and splinter when it hits a target, and instead just pushed its way through the same way any other low velocity round (I.E. .45) does.  They're essentially cutting off a leg off a horse and then wonder why the horse can't run as fast as it did before.  Ironically this is very close to the problem they had during Vietnam; the rifle was designed for cartridge A and then after production began the rifle was issued cartridge B.  

Conversely, this is exactly why rounds like the .300 BLK has more punch than the .556; not because of the greater sized bullet, but because of the heavy charge of faster burning pistol powder the round uses that were designed for short barrels (I.E. 16 grains vs the normal 11 grain of a.44 magnum powder).

In short, if you have a rifle length AR-15, M855 will do exactly what you want them to do.  If you have a carbine, consider swapping it out for .300 BLK or 6.5 Grendel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 300blk may have more punch, but I would think that punch is dependant on distance and ability to yaw and fragment at varying distances. one thing 300blk lacks is velocity. Is more like an AK 47 round Except a tad bit slower By about 200 ft per Second. The subsonic even slower.

My point is M855 may pack more punch at 300 meters than a 300blk at 300 meters. 300 blk may be more effective at 150 yards vs. M855 at 150 yards. Distance is key.

Personally, I'll take m193 , 75 gr and 77 gr 223 loads any day over m855. M193... that little 55gr projectile has devastating effects at short and medium ranges... fragments and yaws like a champ.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Sold some 855 on GB to a guy in CT.  If he sends me a copy of his carry permit is it OK for me to ship?  Not familiar with the laws in this state.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sold some 855 on GB to a guy in CT.  If he sends me a copy of his carry permit is it OK for me to ship?  Not familiar with the laws in this state.  
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

Quoted for posterity.

ETA: I really like (and find it hilarious) that radian23 posted this in our neckbeard thread.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Expert level neckbearding

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#47]
58 bucks for the case???

Am I loosing my mind ?.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Quoted for posterity.
ETA: I really like (and find it hilarious) that radian23 posted this in our neckbeard thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

Quoted for posterity.
Went to the Connecticut hometown forum and said that's the thread to use.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey buddy! That's my wally world!...100rds of m855 would be a fair tax

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

Quoted for posterity.

Not bad, radian, not bad. For an out-of-towner you're pretty allright.

But do you have any pre-bans to sell?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top