Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If I understand correctly the aft reclassified m855 as illegal in Jan. However , they prematurely reclassified it before any hearings. so technically it's not illegal at this time, but they still intend to classify it as armor piecing in the near future?

This should be tacked as its own thread. It's very confusing shifting through multiple posts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I understand correctly the aft reclassified m855 as illegal in Jan. However , they prematurely reclassified it before any hearings. so technically it's not illegal at this time, but they still intend to classify it as armor piecing in the near future?
View Quote

Not quite. ATF proposed to remove m855 from the exemptions list of banned ammo in Feb 2015. The 2014 regulation guide (published Jan 2015? typical gov't.) had already removed it from the list, which is allegedly a 'typo'.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This should be tacked as its own thread. It's very confusing shifting through multiple posts.
View Quote

Not really that confusing. I've been updating the OP post as new info comes out and just added the update from ATF. The time line is basically this:
  • January 2015 - ATF releases their 2014 rules document which no longer lists "green tip" ammo on the exclusions list.
  • February 2015 - ATF proposes to remove "green tip" ammo from the exclusions list.
  • Massive neckbearding commences and the great "green tip" ammo run and panic of 2015 begins.
  • March 6th, 2015 - Katie Pavlich posts article pointing out the ATF 2014 rules doc missing "green tip" ammo on the exclusions list that was in the 2005 rules doc exclusions list.
  • More neckbearding, general wailing and nashing of teeth, and pronouncements of FBO, FEH, FDM on various firearm boards in the wake of Katie Pavlich's article.
  • March 6th 2015 - ATF responds after Katie Pavlich notices the omission from their 2014 rules doc and says "ooops our bad it was a 'publishing error' and we'll fix it".

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
So banning or not?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm confused...Either way, $0.897 a round here if you needs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So banning or not?
View Quote

Not banned yet. The neckbearding continues.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
237 Congressmen sign letter to ATF expressing their concern over banning "green tip" ammo. First three pages, full letter at link below.

http://judiciary.house.gov/_cache/files/e745ea56-5280-4ecc-a91d-5f7239691c1f/030415-atf-letter.pdf
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Had to beard me an extra 1000

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I was gonna shoot some yesterday but never got to it. I'll try and beard me some this week. I'm so behind on the bearding it's ridiculous I might as well just shoot the shit I have .
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Picked up 600 rounds at Dick's. 4- 150ct boxes for $49.99 each. They had at least a dozen cases available.
Mike
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
In case the ATF does decide to ban it as AP, other than the orgasmic cheers of the prohibitionists, what exactly happens?

Obviously it will no longer be lawful to sell, but will it still be lawful to possess?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
what are green tip reloads going for?

may need to sell some
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
How will this affect CT's AP ban?

I should ask Bernie Sullivan his take on it.  Hadn't seen much from him in the news lately.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Picked up 600 rounds at Dick's. 4- 150ct boxes for $49.99 each. They had at least a dozen cases available.

Mike
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mike
How long is the sale running? I grabbed two boxes last Sunday and never got around to going this weekend.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered some of the General Dynamics stuff from Midway. I figured if it does get banned I have some trading material. If not the price was not too bad to save for SHTF.

Never used to think SHTF but after the recent droughts and all the threats of attacks here on our soil it pays to be prepared. If nothing else I will have ammo to survive a drought. I hope never to need it for anything more than targets.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#16]
It will be lawful to sell by private party.  Stores will no longer be able to sell it, used or new.

As to lawfully to own?  That may depend on each states definition of armor piercing.

Quoted:
Obviously it will no longer be lawful to sell, but will it still be lawful to possess?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How will this affect CT's AP ban?

I should ask Bernie Sullivan his take on it.  Hadn't seen much from him in the news lately.
View Quote

If the feds ban it, then its banned in CT. Edit to add: There is some language in CT's law that references the AG of the United State's classification of ammunition for sporting or industrial purposes.

Sec. 53-202l. Armor piercing and incendiary .50 caliber ammunition: Definition. Sale or transfer prohibited. Class D felony

(1) “Armor piercing bullet” means (A) any .50 caliber bullet that (i) is designed for the purpose of, (ii) is held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or (iii) is generally recognized as having a specialized capability to penetrate armor or bulletproof glass, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as “M2 Armor-Piercing” or “AP”, “M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary” or “API”, “M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer” or “APIT”, “M903 Caliber .50 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator” or “SLAP”, or “M962 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer” or “SLAPT”, or (B) any bullet that can be fired from a pistol or revolver that (i) has projectiles or projectile cores constructed entirely, excluding the presence of traces of other substances, from tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium, or (ii) is fully jacketed with a jacket weight of more than twenty-five per cent of the total weight of the projectile, is larger than .22 caliber and is designed and intended for use in a firearm, and (iii) does not have projectiles whose cores are composed of soft materials such as lead or lead alloys, zinc or zinc alloys, frangible projectiles designed primarily for sporting purposes, or any other projectiles or projectile cores that the Attorney General of the United States finds to be primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes or industrial purposes or that otherwise does not constitute “armor piercing ammunition” as defined in federal law. “Armor piercing bullet” does not include a shotgun shell.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I grabbed two boxes at Dicks yesterday for $50.  Mainly bc the ammo was .33 per.  I kinda don't get the green tip panic.  If you are shooting at paper (which is my case) who cares... If you ever happen to be in a situation where you need to defend yourself anything will do.  However, I certainly am against the ban as the implications are concerning.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I grabbed two boxes at Dicks yesterday for $50.  Mainly bc the ammo was .33 per. I kinda don't get the green tip panic.  If you are shooting at paper (which is my case) who cares... If you ever happen to be in a situation where you need to defend yourself anything will do.  However, I certainly am against the ban as the implications are concerning.
View Quote

one more infringement on our rights. they are taking little bits at a time till theres nothing left
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

one more infringement on our rights. they are taking little bits at a time till theres nothing left
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I grabbed two boxes at Dicks yesterday for $50.  Mainly bc the ammo was .33 per. I kinda don't get the green tip panic.  If you are shooting at paper (which is my case) who cares... If you ever happen to be in a situation where you need to defend yourself anything will do.  However, I certainly am against the ban as the implications are concerning.

I agree with you 110%... Like I said it concerns me for several reasons such as the one you mentioned.  The point I wanted to make is that is doesn't make much sense for me to buy and hoard ammo when I'm using it for the range.... Xm193 is less expensive and works perfectly for my application.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I grabbed two boxes at Dicks yesterday for $50.  Mainly bc the ammo was .33 per.  I kinda don't get the green tip panic.  If you are shooting at paper (which is my case) who cares... If you ever happen to be in a situation where you need to defend yourself anything will do.  However, I certainly am against the ban as the implications are concerning.
View Quote

Are they on sail for 49.99$ at dicks without coupon?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes..... They are but the Danbury store was out as of 11am yesterday...  They said they may get more in.  They salesperson mentioned they wanted it gene before any bans took place.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree with you 110%... Like I said it concerns me for several reasons such as the one you mentioned.  The point I wanted to make is that is doesn't make much sense for me to buy and hoard ammo when I'm using it for the range.... Xm193 is less expensive and works perfectly for my application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat. Honestly my ar's get shot the least. I Have more then enough if the shtf . The bigger killer is the .22 Ammo. It's absolutely ridiculous that we still can't find it .
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#25]
XM193 won't be  "less expensive" if the surplus 855 is gone.  The price will increase with demand when there are less options.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How long is the sale running? I grabbed two boxes last Sunday and never got around to going this weekend.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike

I didn't see the flyer, but with current demand, it shouldn't last more than a few days. I think most retailers want it gone before the ban takes place.
Mike
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Anti-Gunners Lie to Promote BATFE Ammo Ban
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150306/anti-gunners-lie-to-promote-batfe-ammo-ban

On Fox News' "America's Newsroom," former Obama campaigner Marjorie Clifton claimed that M855 ammunition "has been used in every mass shooting we've had in the country over past years." Whether she lied deliberately or misspoke as a consequence of being excited about being on TV, we leave to readers to decide. However, we'll explain Clifton's error with the brevity it is due: That is absolutely untrue. Most of these events have not involved firearms even capable of using that round.

Meanwhile, on the Huffington Post website, handgun and AR-15 prohibition advocate Josh Sugarmann took advantage of the M855 debate to regurgitate his perennial claims about trends in gun ownership and firearm marketing.

Sounding like the broken record he has become over the years, Sugarmann said, "The gun industry is constantly engaged in efforts to create new product lines to sell to a shrinking customer base." AR-15-type handguns, he said, are a "new generation of pistols," introduced to fill the firearm industry's "need to create militarized market categories in the face of declining household gun ownership." The "new" handguns constitute a "new threat" to law enforcement officers, Sugarmann added, echoing the claim made by the BATFE in its Framework proposing to ban M855 as "armor piercing ammunition."

<see link for full article>
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
XM193 won't be  "less expensive" if the surplus 855 is gone.  The price will increase with demand when there are less options.
View Quote

FINALLY, someone who gets it.  There are trillions of rounds in the supply chain since there are hordes of manufactures churning them out and the gov't only buys so much of the stuff.  It's almost considered throwaway ammo.   Banning them will instantly cause at least half...but probably more than that...of the ammo supply to disappear.  That means the public will have to switch to other suppliers and prices will increase as demand goes up.

Imagine if Android phones were to be banned.  That would instantly cause a huge run on Apple phones.  This is an accurate analogy because I hate Apple phones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FINALLY, someone who gets it.  There are trillions of rounds in the supply chain since there are hordes of manufactures churning them out and the gov't only buys so much of the stuff.  It's almost considered throwaway ammo.   Banning them will instantly cause at least half...but probably more than that...of the ammo supply to disappear.  That means the public will have to switch to other suppliers and prices will increase as demand goes up.

Imagine if Android phones were to be banned.  That would instantly cause a huge run on Apple phones.  This is an accurate analogy because I hate Apple phones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well wouldnt you speculate if the ban was put into place that the major manufactures would put cut back on production of 855 and ramp up another round?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

well wouldnt you speculate if the ban was put into place that the major manufactures would put cut back on production of 855 and ramp up another round?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eventually, yes, as manufacturers retool their plants to increase production and the supply eventually grows to meet demand, but it won't happen overnight.  Unfortunately, the shortage of available 5.56 WILL happen overnight by government diktat.  Expect a big whack in prices for a while.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Eventually, yes, as manufacturers retool their plants to increase production and the supply eventually grows to meet demand, but it won't happen overnight.  Unfortunately, the shortage of available 5.56 WILL happen overnight by government diktat.  Expect a big whack in prices for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just like in jan 13, shit was gone
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Monkey
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Manufacturers may not increase production of other rounds. The military and other paramilitary organizations, like police departments, homeland security, postal service, IRS and the other alphabet agencies will continue to buy M855. Right now we get XM855 and from what I am told this is stuff that fails QC. However that may be urban legend.

Just went to buy some ammo while out. Cabela's is cleaned out of 5.56mm and there are some oddball weights of .223 floating around. They put some ammo cans on the shelves where the 5.56mm used to be to make them look full. As usual there is no .22LR. This was as of 11am.

Stopped by Dick's. There is no 62gr to be had. They had a handful of American Eagle 55gr 5.56mm 120 round packs. They also had a counter top stack of 30 cal ammo cans with 5.56mm 55gr. Federal. I grabbed two at $149.95 each. Not a bad price plus the 30 cal ammo can is handy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]
How many rounds in those cans? Which dicks?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#36]
420 round cans. Dick's in Manchester
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How many rounds in those cans? Which dicks?
View Quote

They were 150 ct boxes of M855. This was a state wide sale. All the stores should have received multiple cases of this ammo.

Edit: I didn't see the cans at the Canton location, but I wasn't looking either.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Isn't m855 62gr and m193 55gr?

Just wondering... If so why buy 193? Not being banned..
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#39]
No m855 at the Enfield dicks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Read the last page.

Otherwise, people are still shooting as well as investing. Nobody wants to shoot their investment, though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No m855 at the Enfield dicks.
View Quote

Hahah we probably just missed each other! I went at 6:30.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Manufacturers may not increase production of other rounds. The military and other paramilitary organizations, like police departments, homeland security, postal service, IRS and the other alphabet agencies will continue to buy M855. Right now we get XM855 and from what I am told this is stuff that fails QC. However that may be urban legend.
View Quote

I am thinking this is an urban legend.   Unless there's some magic marking system for them to do it,  there is no way QC can see the difference between one and the other.  

I regularly get the IMI stuff and I have never, not even once, had a fail to fire or fail to load. Dunno if it's the best as they say but If it's seconds then it's damned good quality seconds.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Read the last page.

Otherwise, people are still shooting as well as investing. Nobody wants to shoot their investment, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the last page.

Yep.  I got a case of 1200 rounds of IMI for my retirement account.  I can definitely see this going for $40 a box one day.

You laugh?  Then explain why I was able to sell off my stock of .357 Black Talons at $50 a box.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep.  I got a case of 1200 rounds of IMI for my retirement account.  I can definitely see this going for $40 a box one day.

You laugh?  Then explain why I was able to sell off my stock of .357 Black Talons at $50 a box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the last page.

If it gets classified as armor piercing can we sell it later? It would be a felony to own, no?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Not own.
Just to sell or transport per the newer CT rules
FDM FBHusseinO

ETA  I guess transport only while loaded? Who the hell knows with all the elected lawyers crap
Sec. 53-202l. Armor piercing and incendiary .50 caliber ammunition: Definition. Sale or transfer prohibited. Class D felony. (a) For the purposes of this section:
(1) “Armor piercing bullet” means (A) any .50 caliber bullet that (i) is designed for the purpose of, (ii) is held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or (iii) is generally recognized as having a specialized capability to penetrate armor or bulletproof glass, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as “M2 Armor-Piercing” or “AP”, “M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary” or “API”, “M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer” or “APIT”, “M903 Caliber .50 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator” or “SLAP”, or “M962 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer” or “SLAPT”, or (B) any bullet that can be fired from a pistol or revolver that (i) has projectiles or projectile cores constructed entirely, excluding the presence of traces of other substances, from tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium, or (ii) is fully jacketed with a jacket weight of more than twenty-five per cent of the total weight of the projectile, is larger than .22 caliber and is designed and intended for use in a firearm, and (iii) does not have projectiles whose cores are composed of soft materials such as lead or lead alloys, zinc or zinc alloys, frangible projectiles designed primarily for sporting purposes, or any other projectiles or projectile cores that the Attorney General of the United States finds to be primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes or industrial purposes or that otherwise does not constitute “armor piercing ammunition” as defined in federal law. “Armor piercing bullet” does not include a shotgun shell.
(2) “Incendiary .50 caliber bullet” means any .50 caliber bullet that (A) is designed for the purpose of, (B) is held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or (C) is generally recognized as having a specialized capability to ignite upon impact, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as “M1 Incendiary”, “M23 Incendiary”, “M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary” or “API”, or “M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer” or “APIT”.
(b) Any person who knowingly distributes, transports or imports into the state, keeps for sale or offers or exposes for sale or gives to any person any ammunition that is an armor piercing bullet or an incendiary .50 caliber bullet shall be guilty of a class D felony, except that a first-time violation of this subsection shall be a class A misdemeanor.
(c) Any person who knowingly transports or carries a firearm with an armor piercing bullet or incendiary .50 caliber bullet loaded shall be guilty of a class D felony.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#46]
No M855 in Milford Dick's either
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not own.
Just to sell or transport per the newer CT rules
FDM FBHusseinO

ETA  I guess transport only while loaded
Sec. 53-202l. Armor piercing and incendiary .50 caliber ammunition: Definition. Sale or transfer prohibited. Class D felony. (a) For the purposes of this section:
(2) “Incendiary .50 caliber bullet” means any .50 caliber bullet that (A) is designed for the purpose of, (B) is held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or (C) is generally recognized as having a specialized capability to ignite upon impact, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as “M1 Incendiary”, “M23 Incendiary”, “M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary” or “API”, or “M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer” or “APIT”.
(b) Any person who knowingly distributes, transports or imports into the state, keeps for sale or offers or exposes for sale or gives to any person any ammunition that is an armor piercing bullet or an incendiary .50 caliber bullet shall be guilty of a class D felony, except that a first-time violation of this subsection shall be a class A misdemeanor.
(c) Any person who knowingly transports or carries a firearm with an armor piercing bullet or incendiary .50 caliber bullet loaded shall be guilty of a class D felony.
View Quote

Ok so not a felony to own. It is a felony to offer for sale. So the idea of stockpiling to sell later is not the smartest thing some could do. I am saving enough for SHTF.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Except one would wonder if that only applies to selling within ct boundaries or to ct people
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Would it still be ok to shoot at a club or range?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I guess it would depend on what transport means in law language.
To be honest I couldn't tell you. And I'm not being a jerk either
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top