Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/25/2015 8:17:03 AM EDT
Fucking hope this storm pounds us tomorrow night . I love how this state goes full retard and shuts the fuck down for a couple of flakes. Will be ripping down 95 again
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I felt that about the last couple inches, but I have a feeling- this next one will be more than a couple flakes.

I love snow. Bring it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Was funny to see some in the GD thread where a "first look" forecast showing a blizzard was posted yesterday call the guy an alarmist. Other weather sites started changing their forecasts last night to match his.

There is the possibility for more snow on Friday too.

Gotta get some bread and milk!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was funny to see some in the GD thread where a "first look" forecast showing a blizzard was posted yesterday call the guy an alarmist. Other weather sites started changing their forecasts last night to match his.

There is the possibility for more snow on Friday too.

Gotta get some bread and milk!!!
View Quote

hilarious

schools will probably close tonight till friday. state will be shut down for at least 3 days. no bread and milk to be found anywhere
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I felt that about the last couple inches, but I have a feeling- this next one will be more than a couple flakes.

I love snow. Bring it.
View Quote

bring it the fuck on.

the big storm in 13, i did 60 miles of road riding.

im drooling for it
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

bring it the fuck on.

im drooling for it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love snow. Bring it.

bring it the fuck on.

im drooling for it

60 miles!?

What'd that take? 20 minutes? hahaha
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

60 miles!?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love snow. Bring it.

bring it the fuck on.

im drooling for it

60 miles!?

ha nah.. lot of stoping back at the house. don't wanna piss of the pd too much.

they don't seem to care during the big storms for some reason
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#7]
During some of those big storms in 2011 I had the fastest commute to Hartford that I've ever had outside of holidays.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Fucking hope this storm pounds us tomorrow night . I love how this state goes full retard and shuts the fuck down for a couple of flakes. Will be ripping down 95 again
View Quote
I hope it does also. I don't have a sled to have fun on though.

What do you expect from a state run by retards
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll probably end up looking at my sleds and riding my snowblower instead. Oh well. Love me some snow
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to live for snow. Now I am looking forward to global warming.

I never understood the whole, "OMG we need bread and milk", rush. I also don't understand the rush to fill your car's gas tank. These idiots who panic and buy bread, milk and gas for their cars are so scared they don't go outside until it is all sunny again. We have enough food and supplies to survive at least a week without any problem.

We are in CT not Donner pass. We get a foot or two at most and in a couple of days things are back to normal. Do people really not any food to survive 2 days at home? I sort of can see the rush for gasoline but most people are not putting it into a can for power equipment they are putting it in their vehicle.

Bring on the storm!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I never understood the whole, "OMG we need bread and milk", rush. I also don't understand the rush to fill your car's gas tank. These idiots who panic and buy bread, milk and gas for their cars are so scared they don't go outside until it is all sunny again. We have enough food and supplies to survive at least a week without any problem.

We are in CT not Donner pass. We get a foot or two at most and in a couple of days things are back to normal. Do people really not any food to survive 2 days at home? I sort of can see the rush for gasoline but most people are not putting it into a can for power equipment they are putting it in their vehicle.

Bring on the storm!!
View Quote

I feel it's just an excuse to go to the package store. Well it's my excuse
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring on the storm!!

I use at as an excuse to get a day off.

Since my job involves driving all over the Northeast for an auto manufacturer we are told "if the weather is dangerous then stay home". Obviously since I deal with cars they can wait a day or two. Even though some people cry when their car breaks it is only a stupid car. My wife works at a hospital so she has to go no matter what.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Since my job involves driving all over the Northeast for an auto manufacturer we are told "if the weather is dangerous then stay home". Obviously since I deal with cars they can wait a day or two. Even though some people cry when their car breaks it is only a stupid car. My wife works at a hospital so she has to go no matter what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring on the storm!!

My wife does too. she lives and hour away from the hospital and goes no matter what. Workers live 2 miles away and call out for snow .

Sick of pussy ass people
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I fill up my trucks tank, and (2) 5 gal cans. For me, when it snows, life must go on, which means I must go on. And 4x4 sucks down gas like a mother fucker. Never mind if you get stuck and are sucking gas down just spinning tires. Its infuriating.

Then, I can't rely on Mr. Metro driver to get to work at the gas station with his Civic or whatever, so I assume I will not find an open gas station when I need one, nor do I feel the need to go out of my way to get to one. So if I need it, I got another half tank in the bed (my 2 cans). If I don't use it in the storm, I use it right after, whenever I need more gas. (Plus for the snow blower)

It pays to be prepared.

I presume there are tons and tons and tons of people who do not have enough food for a couple days. After all, they did vote Malloy back in. Unfortunately, Sunday is my grocery shopping day - but we are pretty set, so perhaps we shall skip this weekends trip and avoid the mad rush Im sure is going on.

And on that note - if any of you older guys are stuck, need help digging out, or have a genuine concern that your roof can not support whatever weight is on it - reach out to me. I will come and dig you out, or get that stuff safely off your roof. This isn't a plug, Im not looking for money, I just want to make sure you guys and your families are squared away and in good order. I realize this one storm is not going to collapse buildings - but if this doesn't melt, and we get another, and another etc, yeah . . . You know where to find me.

I am in Vernon and will travel reasonable distances to help out.

You younger guys (my age-ish) are on your own, you should be able to handle this shit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. I have a well stocked pantry with enough food for a month, if not longer.

Gas for snow blower is my priority for tomorrow morning,  has a full tank but that only goes so far
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bring on the storm!!

This. I have a well stocked pantry with enough food for a month, if not longer.

Gas for snow blower is my priority for tomorrow morning,  has a full tank but that only goes so far

I broke the pull cord on my blower yesterday . It has a battery less electric start but it's such a pain in the ass dragging an extension cord out to the shed to start it. Should try and shove it in the garage today
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I fill up my trucks tank, and (2) 5 gal cans. For me, when it snows, life must go on, which means I must go on. And 4x4 sucks down gas like a mother fucker. Never mind if you get stuck and are sucking gas down just spinning tires. Its infuriating.

Then, I can't rely on Mr. Metro driver to get to work at the gas station with his Civic or whatever, so I assume I will not find an open gas station when I need one, nor do I feel the need to go out of my way to get to one. So if I need it, I got another half tank in the bed (my 2 cans). If I don't use it in the storm, I use it right after, whenever I need more gas. (Plus for the snow blower)

It pays to be prepared.

I presume there are tons and tons and tons of people who do not have enough food for a couple days. After all, they did vote Malloy back in. Unfortunately, Sunday is my grocery shopping day - but we are pretty set, so perhaps we shall skip this weekends trip and avoid the mad rush Im sure is going on.

And on that note - if any of you older guys are stuck, need help digging out, or have a genuine concern that your roof can not support whatever weight is on it - reach out to me. I will come and dig you out, or get that stuff safely off your roof. This isn't a plug, Im not looking for money, I just want to make sure you guys and your families are squared away and in good order. I realize this one storm is not going to collapse buildings - but if this doesn't melt, and we get another, and another etc, yeah . . . You know where to find me.

I am in Vernon and will travel reasonable distances to help out.

You younger guys (my age-ish) are on your own, you should be able to handle this shit.
View Quote

Count me in on that too. Ill drive wherever
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The reality is that most people only have three days, often less, of food on hand. Our society has change over the years to the point where people rely on the convince factor of being able to stop on their way home for dinner or run out from work at lunch or stop on their way into work for breakfast.

We may be CT but remember that the food and fuel comes from somewhere else. And if that disruption is wide spread enough or the roads/highways are shut down it could be a more than 3 days before the supermarkets and gas stations get restocked and refilled. Not to mention that in a power outage many gas stations and supermarkets are non functional due to being unable to pump gas or work the registers. Remember that during Hurricane Sandy some gas stations ran out of gas and couldn't get tankers in to refill their storage tanks for a couple of days up to a week.

The other issue is power outages. Not everyone has a generator available. Not everyone uses natural gas for heat or cooking. Not everyone has a outdoor grill. During any kind of major power outage during the winter and a fair number of people won't be able to cook or heat their homes. How often do you see those who panic during storms buying perishable foods that require heat or a refrigerator? For quite a few that food would end up being useless because they cannot cook it because one only has an electric stove.

Chances are most people will be mobile after the storm in one or two days, three at the outside. But there is always the element of uncertainty with these storms and as history as shown in some localities these storms can kill numerous people who were caught unprepared.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The reality is that most people only have three days, often less, of food on hand. Our society has change over the years to the point where people rely on the convince factor of being able to stop on their way home for dinner or run out from work at lunch or stop on their way into work for breakfast.

We may be CT but remember that the food and fuel comes from somewhere else. And if that disruption is wide spread enough or the roads/highways are shut down it could be a more than 3 days before the supermarkets and gas stations get restocked and refilled. Not to mention that in a power outage many gas stations and supermarkets are non functional due to being unable to pump gas or work the registers. Remember that during Hurricane Sandy some gas stations ran out of gas and couldn't get tankers in to refill their storage tanks for a couple of days up to a week.

The other issue is power outages. Not everyone has a generator available. Not everyone uses natural gas for heat or cooking. Not everyone has a outdoor grill. During any kind of major power outage during the winter and a fair number of people won't be able to cook or heat their homes. How often do you see those who panic during storms buying perishable foods that require heat or a refrigerator? For quite a few that food would end up being useless because they cannot cook it because one only has an electric stove.

Chances are most people will be mobile after the storm in one or two days, three at the outside. But there is always the element of uncertainty with these storms and as history as shown in some localities these storms can kill numerous people who were caught unprepared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woodstove. Cook and heat without the grid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Woodstove. Cook and heat without the grid.
View Quote

Yep. Those with wood stoves are a head of the game, provided of course they have enough wood or wood pellets to keep it going.

Fortunately I have a gas stove but if I didn't I'd have a backup camping stove with fuel just in case. Nothing like watching people put food in the microwave when the power goes out and wondering why it doesn't the microwave doesn't work. Seen that a couple of times. Some people are just clueless to how much of their daily life relies on power and revolves around being able to get to the store for food or medicine each day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Pussy assed people! I hate them too. However most people in this state do not know how to drive in the rain let alone the snow.

I grew up in upstate NY where it snows around halloween and winter lasts until middle of April. Guys would still be ice fishing on tax day. We would get 120" annually of snow. 2-3 foot snow storms were not uncommon and it flurried like just about everyday. I took my driving test in a storm. People up their did not hide in the house. It was business as usual before, during and after a storm. Hell 2-3" didn't even get mentioned on the evening news.

I am not worried about me in the snow. It is the other idiots I worry about. I see what people drive on for tires and it seems most people wait until their tires are completely bald before even considering replacement. Even then they drive on them many times until the steel starts to show. Those same shit heads are driving 65 mph in a snow storm. Then they crash and cause traffic that the rest of us get stuck in. We are supposed to feel bad because they get hurt or killed.

I have a home office so when it snows I just stay home and go out the next day. Not worth fighting the traffic and dealing with the mess. My company does not put snow tires on our cars. Even though I have all wheel drive my tires are a wide 20" performance summer tire. Not the best in the winter. I go through a fair number of cars per year so I will not buy my own tires. Last year I had 8 cars.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm one of those people that don't have much on hand as far as food. I'm literally 1-2 days ahead as that's about it.  I'm 2-3 minutes from 2 grocery stores so my wife or I stop by every 2 days or so to grab what we need.  

I'm sure once we have kids that'll change, but it works for us currently.
But yes I'll be hitting the grocery store today

Luckily I have 15 gallons of stabilized gas . After that October storm I will never get caught in the winter without gas again!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]
A costco card and one trip will change all that, forever.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I never really think about doing special things to be prepared. For my family and I, even when growing up, it was always just what we did. We were always splitting wood in the summer, in preparation for winter, even though we primarily used oil heat, we used the wood stove quite often, cause back then we got all the wood we could burn for free. There was always at least a couple weeks of food in the pantry. Of course generators weren't as prolific as they are today, but we kept candles and flashlights and made do with what we had.

Nowadays, I carry on the tradition with my family. Me and my boys split a lot of wood over the summer, we use oil for our primary heat, but the woodstove is nice heat, and it keeps the furnace from running. We probably have about three cord right now. We have a couple of generators and enough gas on hand to run them 8 hours a day for about month, not only for heating and cooking, but to run the well pump. We have two freezers stuffed to gills with all kinds of meats, fruits, and veggies and our pantry has at least a months worth of food, not to mention the emergency stores. We keep about 6 months of stuff on hand in buckets in the basement along with enough bottled water to drown a horse. We have at least 5 ways to prepare hot meals, that don't require electricity.

I don't know, I have always felt the responsibility to take care of myself and my family, and I take it seriously. I can't even fathom the mindset that some people have of only having a couple days of food or water in their house, it just strikes me as irresponsible. I know there are people on this board who take that route out of convenience or whatever, and its not meant as an insult. However, it really is not that hard to have some semblance of preparedness, and when the powers out and your family is looking to you to take care of them, the reward is looking into their eyes, and seeing the pride they have in you, for keeping them warm and comfortable. It doesn't get any better than that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 45 gallon tank in my garage I use for my selds and other gas equipment including a generator. I filled it 2 weeks ago so I'm ready there. As far as food , we have over a months worth, maybe more. I've got around 15 cord of wood right now too. Only thing I need to stock up on is the liquor Cabinet.

Bring on snow apocalypse
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bring on snow apocalypse
View Quote

You may get your wish. The weather forecasters have switched to using "feet" instead of "inches" when talking snow totals.  

If this storm is anything like the last one where we got 25+ inches then the major cities will be shut down for days to clear the snow. That's one of the downsides to city living. So many leave their cars parked on the street even though the town declared a parking ban. Because of that the plows cannot effectively plow the streets. Or some idiot neighbor decides to park their car in my building's parking area blocking it so the plow cannot clear the parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I never really think about doing special things to be prepared. For my family and I, even when growing up, it was always just what we did. We were always splitting wood in the summer, in preparation for winter, even though we primarily used oil heat, we used the wood stove quite often, cause back then we got all the wood we could burn for free. There was always at least a couple weeks of food in the pantry. Of course generators weren't as prolific as they are today, but we kept candles and flashlights and made do with what we had.

Nowadays, I carry on the tradition with my family. Me and my boys split a lot of wood over the summer, we use oil for our primary heat, but the woodstove is nice heat, and it keeps the furnace from running. We probably have about three cord right now. We have a couple of generators and enough gas on hand to run them 8 hours a day for about month, not only for heating and cooking, but to run the well pump. We have two freezers stuffed to gills with all kinds of meats, fruits, and veggies and our pantry has at least a months worth of food, not to mention the emergency stores. We keep about 6 months of stuff on hand in buckets in the basement along with enough bottled water to drown a horse. We have at least 5 ways to prepare hot meals, that don't require electricity.

I don't know, I have always felt the responsibility to take care of myself and my family, and I take it seriously. I can't even fathom the mindset that some people have of only having a couple days of food or water in their house, it just strikes me as irresponsible. I know there are people on this board who take that route out of convenience or whatever, and its not meant as an insult. However, it really is not that hard to have some semblance of preparedness, and when the powers out and your family is looking to you to take care of them, the reward is looking into their eyes, and seeing the pride they have in you, for keeping them warm and comfortable. It doesn't get any better than that.
View Quote

Well done, and well said.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You may get your wish. The weather forecasters have switched to using "feet" instead of "inches" when talking snow totals.  

If this storm is anything like the last one where we got 25+ inches then the major cities will be shut down for days to clear the snow. That's one of the downsides to city living. So many leave their cars parked on the street even though the town declared a parking ban. Because of that the plows cannot effectively plow the streets. Or some idiot neighbor decides to park their car in my building's parking area blocking it so the plow cannot clear the parking lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bring on snow apocalypse

1-3 tomorrow . 12+ tomorrow night. 5-8 Tuesday . Fuck ya
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bring on snow apocalypse

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bring on snow apocalypse

hoping my work closes
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Let the race to the stores begin tomorrow for the apocalypse French toast (bread,eggs and milk)
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Let's see if I need to run out and get anything..... Nope I have plenty of beer
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Let the race to the stores begin tomorrow for the apocalypse French toast (bread,eggs and milk)
View Quote

Seeing how we will be  watching the snow fall

Tuesday morning CTHTF should have a breakfast pic contest [FRENCH TOAST ONLY!] and add a pole after all have entered their creations
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#36]

OH man!  They changed it.  This morning Boston was getting 2-3 ft, and we were looking at 18-24".
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A costco card and one trip will change all that, forever.
View Quote

went to costco in enfield today

the line was crazy! i was doing the bread and milk guy stuff and almost shit there was a dude with 10 gallons of milk! me and my wife almost burst into laughter.but

he is probably in charge of a shelter or something so i can understand that.

we walked out, nothing we were in dire need for.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Tuesday morning CTHTF should have a breakfast pic contest [FRENCH TOAST ONLY!] and add a pole after all have entered their creations
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm in!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in!

id love to but theres no more bread and milk!!!!

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#40]
There was like 2 dozen eggs left at my local stop n shop......it was a madhouse in there.  I couldn't even find a carriage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#41]
i got the milk!!!!

they just changed it to a warning. guess this shit is real. 20-30 inches for most of ct

bring it on
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I wish I could stay at home but unfortunately my job requires 24/7 assistance when storms like this happen. I see a lot of time at work in the coming days, my SO and son will be staying with her parents just in case
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#43]
my town closed schools and city buildings mon and tues already. no garbage pickup either
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got a call from Danbury mayor to be done by 2:00pm on Monday

And check on Elderly  neighbors
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wish I could stay at home but unfortunately my job requires 24/7 assistance when storms like this happen. I see a lot of time at work in the coming days, my SO and son will be staying with her parents just in case
View Quote

If you or yours need anything you know who to call. I can get around.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't have a truck but I have a 4wd sedan, so if anyone in the Fairfield area needs help digging in an emergency I'm here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't have a truck but I have a 4wd sedan, so if anyone in the Fairfield area needs help digging in an emergency I'm here.
View Quote

I got the 4x pathfinder- she is a fucking beast in the snow! I can get thru anything if I go slow!  I am in same local- holler if you need help- if I can I will!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Oye I used to like snow, but work now (private school) just goes full retard everytime it snows. They dont come in, cancel classes yet still find time to bitch when the road around the school is only 1 lane. Then the salts not out fast enough and its slippery (still snowing at this point but still WE MUST COMPLAIN) then after its clear its always the same OMGWTF??? why did you spread so much salt. I used to like snow but I still do enjoy the overtime that it brings along with it Its also pretty sweet for my boss to toss me the keys to one of the work trucks and tell me to drive that until were all done
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Gentleman, this is serious. I just received a reverse 911 call, asking if people who drive 4x4 can be available for "emergency responders"...
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Gentleman, this is serious. I just received a reverse 911 call, asking if people who drive 4x4 can be available for "emergency responders"...
View Quote

Seriously?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top