Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2015 7:17:55 PM EDT

If I take this

and do this

Obviously its a registered receiver, It wont function in and AR anymore but I would want to make a custom upper. It will still have a serial number so what say the HTF .

The main reason for the mod is to make an integrated hinge for a folding stock. the AR style buffer would not be used. Kinda like the HK guns except they serialize the upper.

Or is this a bunch of DERP

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Only if mastercam doesn't crash when trying to post it out
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Legal. Once it's registered you can add as much salt as you want.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I know I can add the features. The receiver would be modified and would not function in a standard ar afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Think it may fall into manufacture of a firearm and needs and ffl. Don't quote me though
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I take this

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/LEON1982_2007/arlower-1.jpg

and do this

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/LEON1982_2007/ar1_zpsf8e315ec.png

Obviously its a registered receiver, It wont function in and AR anymore but I would want to make a custom upper. It will still have a serial number so what say the HTF .

The main reason for the mod is to make an integrated hinge for a folding stock. the AR style buffer would not be used. Kinda like the HK guns except they serialize the upper.

Or is this a bunch of DERP
View Quote

[Edit to add: missed the fact the op indicated he registered the lower, if so then they can have all the evil features they want. If the lower hasn't been registered then the following applies.]

Once you get past the centerfire semiautomatic AR-15 copy/duplicates banned by name language for post 9/13/94 manufactured rifles you still have to deal with the semiautomatic centerfire detachable magazine rifle evil features language. If it is a semiautomatic centerfire rifle manufactured post 9/13/94 that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has a folding stock then its an assault weapon per state statute.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definitions.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
OP said its a registered receiver. If I'm understanding him correctly it's already manufactured, he already has a cert for it, and he just wants to chop the buffer tube mount off the lower and mill it flat so he can use a custom upper with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Legal. You already own it and it's already a registered assault weapon. Salt it up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^^ Truth  
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

OP said its a registered receiver. If I'm understanding him correctly it's already manufactured, he already has a cert for it, and he just wants to chop the buffer tube mount off the lower and mill it flat so he can use a custom upper with it.
View Quote

this, I just used the cad pics rather than try to describe it

I know I can make it super salty.  I see this as more of a problem if I tried to SBR it at the federal level.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
^^^^ Truth  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^^ Truth  
ive never had a crash during posting. using too big a tool to circlemill used to crash on me.  the surfacing sometimes gets funky

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ive never had a crash during posting. using too big a tool to circlemill used to crash on me.  the surfacing sometimes gets funky

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^ Truth  

Used mastercam for years and still have x7 and just got the x8. We use Caria v5 for design so I thought we should be using catia macjining to work along side it. ended up buying the Catia machining modual with all trimmings along with an extra design seat for me.  All I need to say is mastercam is wayyyy behind the times. Only time I use it now is if I have a older program that I wrote in masacam Which needs to be altered and I'm too lazy to rewrite it in catia.

Most shops arnt gonna buy catia maching though. It's in the 50k range. I had bought 2, 5 axis posts to work with and I think those were in the 7k range

Mastercam does have place in my heart though where my roots are
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I learned on 5.5 before the icons. X8 has been buggy with the planes. One file I'm working on is 25 meg and will crash oppon opening.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I learned on 5.5 before the icons. X8 has been buggy with the planes. One file I'm working on is 25 meg and will crash oppon opening.
View Quote

I started on 6 myself . I liked when x came out. Worked well . Over the years they fell way behind though. Catia is just so powerful .  Working with a part now that's in the 3.5 gig range. Doesn't break a sweat .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top