BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This has come to me from a trusted friend. Take it for what it is worth but I have never found him to be wrong on these issues.  I was hesitant to post it but after some encouragement from a well regarded CTHF member I PM'd I have decided to post it up.

This is the Argument that is being currently put forward in Hartford:

Over 20 years ago the Connecticut legislature and Governor passed an Assault Weapon Ban in order to get rid of military style rifles. But despite the governments best efforts gun dealers, manufacturers and citizens exploited loopholes and circumvented the spirit of the law. Because of these actions the Bushmaster AR15 was available for sale in Connecticut and used at the Massacre in Sandy Hook. Had the spirit of the law been followed, that rifle would not have been allowed in the state.

After the Sandy Hook tragedy Connecticut strengthened the gun laws with common sense bipartisan legislation yet there was very little compliance by the citizenry. At the same time loop holes like Pre-Bans have been exploited by dealers which have brought more deadly Assault Rifles into Connecticut. Individuals on the internet and at rally?s have bragged about flouting the new laws and smuggling in high capacity magazines.

So after our best efforts of trying to find common ground with grandfathering provisions and such we find there is no other option left for us except to take more definite measures to make these laws as simple and uncomplicated as possible. We will enact the findings of the Sandy Hook commission which involves a ban on anything that may hold more than 10 rounds and there will be no grandfathering. This will finally rid our state of the weapons we have intended to outlaw for the last 20 years.

If you don't vote for this the blood of the next Sandy Hook will be on your hands and we will make sure all your constituents are aware of it.
View Quote

1.  The AWB was a clone of the California ban and intended to block sales of AW's.  Not eliminate them.

2. The legislature didn't need the commission to come to their conclusion.  If the legislature wanted to act as described above, they would.

3.  If they wanted to confiscate, they would had done it the first round 4/4/13.

Keep your heads on people.  The SH commission is toothless.   Don't think that Sen Looney is going to read the final report and decide that it all suddenly makes sense and he can go after the rest of the shit.

They will make new moves but it's not going to be for a big roundup of all the registered guns and preban loophole.  They will keep getting tighter and tighter on CCW and more power to remove guns with flakey evidence, etc.

Just keep it together.  They are rattling the cage.   We've been through a lot and we all know better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Even if this shit is true,  what are you guys going to do about it if it does pass?

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Even if this shit is true,  what are you guys going to do about it if it does pass?
View Quote

The same thing I did when the last one passed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Act like good and free men who aren't scared of a bunch of useless assholes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Privately ,no ones business.
Publicly my life will go on,I will denounce them ,vote against those who implemented it ,give charitably to organizations who are opposed to them,and try to educate those who don't know what is happening.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#6]
i will be doing nothing.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#7]
For those that think grandfathering of existing weapons will be the way it plays out, think again.  In NJ in 1990(I used to live there), there was no grandfathering of existing weapons - sell them out of state, turn them in or render them inoperable.  One guy chose to not register his Uzi carbine(banned by name and features) and had a house fire 10 years after the ban was enacted.  When a fireman found it and turned it over to cops, he was charged.  Fuck CT and fuck NJ.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For those that think grandfathering of existing weapons will be the way it plays out, think again.  In NJ in 1990(I used to live there), there was no grandfathering of existing weapons - sell them out of state, turn them in or render them inoperable.  One guy chose to not register his Uzi carbine(banned by name and features) and had a house fire 10 years after the ban was enacted.  When a fireman found it and turned it over to cops, he was charged.  Fuck CT and fuck NJ.
View Quote

this is not about banning an uzi, or even an AR. its about banning practically all semi auto pistols. far greater number of those floating around this state. i would say the number is in the millions.

way more involved when trying to ban everything with no grandfather clause.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The problem with that is CT already has a grandfather clause, and has had it for nearly 15 years.

To repeal the CT grandfather clause would essentially mean that all AWs currently possessed under the clause would have been illegally possessed all along. Very dangerous area for them to go after. It has between posted here many times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with that is CT already has a grandfather clause, and has had it for nearly 15 years.

To repeal the CT grandfather clause would essentially mean that all AWs currently possessed under the clause would have been illegally possessed all along. Very dangerous area for them to go after. It has between posted here many times.

What they'll probably suggest as a first step is doing away with Sec 53-202m (the preban clause). They'll simply cut off the flow of prebans and say everyone has to register them by Jan 1, 2016. To do away with "grandfathering" is a larger can of worms that they probably don't want to get into. They are looking long term here. Choking off the supply of guns over time is what they're after. While some would love to do confiscation, those in power know that they can accomplish the same thing in 10 or 20 years rather than in one year with far less outrage by the peasants.

One other way is to reduce the places where one can legally possess their registered AW's. They'll probably argue that there is no need for people to be allowed to use them at the range or anywhere outside of their homes. I could even see them making the argument that you cannot use AW's for self defense too. Its all about baby steps with the anti's. Advancement through incrementalism.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some will comply, others will not. The same that happened on Jan 1, 2014. And then the sun will rise the next morning and life will go on.

The sad reality is that if SB1160 wasn't enough to galvanize people to vote against Malloy and the legislators who voted for the bill, I fear that a full ban on semiauto's wouldn't be enough to galvanize people. Unfortunately far to many people just don't place their 2A rights high on the list of things to worry about or get up in arms about. They won't care about loosing that right, until its gone and by then it will be too late to get it back easily.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Keep an eye on the OLR guys.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keep an eye on the OLR guys.
View Quote

Yep. The OLR opinions issued will give one an idea of what the politicians are thinking about doing or are seeking to get a legal opinion to back up a proposed law.

Its important to remember that we have seen instances where an OLR opinion contradicts a DESPP opinion on the statute(s).
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Right, and currently declared mags can't be transferred to an heir if they are capable of being loaded with more than 10.  I don't see that changing during this session.
View Quote

I could actually see the legislature removing that language from the statutes both for AW's and LCM's. Its their next logical step to slowly cut off the supply of them within the state. Its low hanging fruit to them, one that could probably easily pass.

I do think they have to address that "error" in the language one way or another (like they did with SB1094 post SB1160) since it sets up a pretty good lawsuit since the law specifically states you CAN pass LCM's via inheritance/bequest yet the state doesn't have a process to do so like they do with AW's. They are setting people up for possible arrest for following the law as written. Its a simple legislative fix. Will be interesting to see if they actually fix their own "error" this year or if they simply leave it to DESPP to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#16]
FUCK THEM AND FUCK CONNECTICUT!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whoa cool your heels there edgelord
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who,is edgelord?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Who,is edgelord?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who,is edgelord?

Courtesy of urban dictionary. I prefer pepperoni hot pockets" />

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#20]
My name is is Todd and for the record my wife cooks my hot pockets
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
I was one that complied , but I also let the "what ifs "in my head get to me. If that makes any sense. BUT NOT THIS ROUND !! I'm here to fight this bullshit !

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My name is is Todd and for the record my wife cooks my hot pockets
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Courtesy of urban dictionary. I prefer pepperoni hot pocketshttp://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a593/tima1970/0BD5FFEF-7CB6-491C-A752-4CBB638EFB5E_zpsrkmczlpt.jpg" />    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who,is edgelord?

Courtesy of urban dictionary. I prefer pepperoni hot pocketshttp://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a593/tima1970/0BD5FFEF-7CB6-491C-A752-4CBB638EFB5E_zpsrkmczlpt.jpg" />    

Lol I didn't mean it with that much gusto.  Just that he was being a bit "edgy".

I also want to know if he is in CT or just one of the random interlopers that come in here to shit on the guys on the front lines...
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow I am feeling old here. I do not know of all these strange names. To be honest I am glad I did not know what "edgelord" meant.

Does anyone really eat hot pockets?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Ha ha I know you didn't mean it that way! But I had to look it up because I didn't know it was and urban dictionary never fails so when I saw that I was laughing my ass off had to post it.

I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything

If you guys feel it's insensitive I will pull it down

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got politically motivated to make change happen.  I joined the Republican Committee in my town, I rallied to help the political candidates representing my area get elected and replace the POS who voted in favor of this abomination, and last week, I've been invited by my newly elected state rep to chill in his office in Hartford as thanks.  There is now one less AW ban supporter in the Legislature and I had a part to play in doing it.  If this new abomination comes up to a vote, there is one more person now who will vote NO.

The question therefore is, what are *you* going to do about it if it does pass?  If the answer is "nothing" then I think I speak for the armies of people across the state who made the phone calls, went door to door, contributed the money, and largely worked our butts off to get at least a few of the people who supported the AW ban fired, when I say...

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ha ha I know you didn't mean it that way! But I had to look it up because I didn't know it was and urban dictionary never fails so when I saw that I was laughing my ass off had to post it.

I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything

If you guys feel it's insensitive I will pull it down

View Quote

I did not think you were being a dick.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I didn't think you or typhoid would think that.

I was thinking john Adams  might .
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wow I am feeling old here. I do not know of all these strange names. To be honest I am glad I did not know what "edgelord" meant.

Does anyone really eat hot pockets?
View Quote

No.  Hotpockets are for noguns poorfags.   We are hasguns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I got politically motivated to make change happen.  I joined the Republican Committee in my town, I rallied to help the political candidates representing my area get elected and replace the POS who voted in favor of this abomination, and last week, I've been invited by my newly elected state rep to chill in his office in Hartford as thanks.  There is now one less AW ban supporter in the Legislature and I had a part to play in doing it.  If this new abomination comes up to a vote, there is one more person now who will vote NO.

The question therefore is, what are *you* going to do about it if it does pass?  If the answer is "nothing" then I think I speak for the armies of people across the state who made the phone calls, went door to door, contributed the money, and largely worked our butts off to get at least a few of the people who supported the AW ban fired, when I say...

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l377/GoodOlDave/IGotNoMoreUseForThisGuy_zps6ebaef72-1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l377/GoodOlDave/IGotNoMoreUseForThisGuy_zps6ebaef72-1.jpg

I've got quite a bit of political volunteering behind me, but thanks.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top