Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 12:16:35 AM EDT
I just purchased a NIB Saiga AK47 Rifle from The Sportsman Outpost.

Is it legal to change the stock & forearm? Where is the best place to get additional 10 rnd mags?

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Stock cant have pistol grip, or thumbhole. Forend cant have vert grip.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is it legal to change the stock & forearm? Where is the best place to get additional 10 rnd mags?

Thanks,
John
View Quote

Ummm.  Dan?

Pretty sure that shits not legal, you Mil?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
He didn't say he got it transferred into CT yet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol GTFO
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure its the rifle grip, non threaded, 10 rnd version. That would most likely still be legal feature wise. Modifying it (new stock/grip of any kind) would be a big no no.

ETA: Is this the config in question OP?

"

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#6]
So did you trade it or keep it?

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#7]
JMN,

Yes that is the rifle, purchased it from Mike & Sportsman's Outpost yesterday....................Trade fell through.

I am looking for an M1A SOCOM II or Scout Squad.

I will sell or trade.

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks,
John
View Quote

What do you want to change the stock and forearm too?

If the rifle was manufactured after 9/13/94 and your not a member of the exempted class you cannot add any evil features to the rifle. In other words generally for post 9/13/94 manufactured semiauto detachable magazine centerfire rifles (which are not already so called assault weapons) you cannot add a pistol grip stock or a collapsible/folding stock. You cannot add a fore grip. What you can do is replace a plastic palm swell type stock with a wooden palm swell type stock and the plastic forearm with a wooden forearm.

To those wondering about the legality of a NIB AK Saiga. While there is a ban on post 9/13/94 semi auto centerfire "AK-47" and "IZHMASH Saiga AK" and their copies and duplicates, if one can get around that particular name ban and one should be good to go if they are not in the exempted class and the rifle doesn't have any evil features.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
State Police / DPS said the Saiga AK47 Sporting rifle (like the one pictured , is legal to buy in CT)

I wanted to change the stock to a fixed AR15 type &  Quad Rail.

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Forgive my post in the ak47 forum, in the thread you started there.  I assumed you meant a new old stock rifle that was either preban or registered with the state.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wanted to change the stock to a fixed AR15 type...
View Quote

What does wanting to change the stock to a "fixed AR15 type" mean? Do you want to add a pistol grip? If so you cannot legally add a pistol grip to a post ban rifle if that pistol grip is below the action of the weapon. You cannot add a folding or collapsing stock to that rifle either.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

State Police / DPS said the Saiga AK47 Sporting rifle (like the one pictured , is legal to buy in CT)

Thanks,

John
View Quote

What you want to do would make the firearm an "assault weapon". You cannot legally do so in CT anymore unless you are exempt e.g. LEO or mil. You can thank Malloy and his cronies for that one.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!

John R
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks,
John
View Quote

Yes, it is legal now to buy this sporter......too bad they got banned from import by Obama.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#15]
You talking about the one in Wolcott?  I just picked up a Shield from those boys and that is where I purchased my Model 8

How much did it set you back?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]

They just put it out on Thursday.................It was on Lay-Away for four months & the guy backed out.

$699 + Tax
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice looking rifle, congrats
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What does wanting to change the stock to a "fixed AR15 type" mean? Do you want to add a pistol grip? If so you cannot legally add a pistol grip to a post ban rifle if that pistol grip is below the action of the weapon. You cannot add a folding or collapsing stock to that rifle either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR pinned stock with quad rail..................No pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which AR stock were you thinking about putting on it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am really trying to picture this !!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As am I. Which is why I asked the question.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Stock & Forearm only

SAIGA rifle Accessories

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stock & Forearm only

SAIGA rifle Accessories
View Quote

What specific "AR pinned stock" type stock did you want to put on the Saiga?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#25]
CSP plz go
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
DanCSP
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I spoke to the State Police / DPS & they said it can not be changed from its original configuration.

Newbie to the AR/AK platform....................It would be very hard to shoot with an AR type stock with no pistol grip (My Bad)

Thanks for the replys!

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I spoke to the State Police / DPS & they said it can not be changed from its original configuration.

I asked a question on this forum looking for help , not to be made fun of.

Thanks to the members that offered helpful information.

View Quote

Was not making fun of you, just wondering how this SaIga would work/look with a AR stock and no pistol grip and how you would go about shooting it The only way to go in CT is preban for anything fun and scary
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you ask who ever you spoke to at the State Police/DPS to quote you the specific statute that states you cannot change a rifle from its original configuration?

What you cannot do is take possession of a stock with a pistol grip for that rifle since you would have a "part" capable of turning a firearm into an assault weapon. You'd have to have the pistol grip removed from the stock PRIOR to taking possession of the stock. Or take the rifle to a gun shop and let them get the stock, remove the pistol grip then mount the stock to the rifle.

As was indicated in my PM how would you plan on holding and firing that rifle without some form of pistol grip or palm swell stock?

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is a crude mockup of what the rifle would look like with the TAPCO Saiga T6 Intrafuse Stock & Grip minus the pistol grip.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Order of decorum here, he didn't come here to be made sport of.

We don't want to discourage anyone of trying to stay legal
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Order of decorum here, he didn't come here to be made sport of.
View Quote

You can thank Dan's trolling for that. Sometimes hard to tell if its Dan trolling again under a new account or someone new asking a serious question.

If it were me, what I'd do is replace the forearm like the OP wants to do, but leave the palm swell stock to keep the Saiga legal. I just don't see how one will be able to comfortably hold and fire a Saiga with that Tapco stock mounted when that stock doesn't have its pistol grip. But hey if someone want's to spend their own money to find out, have at it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I kinda want to buy one now, because I have an idea.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Andrapos,

WOW, I totally misinterpreted the replies!................I was scared sh-tless last night,  waiting for the CSP to storm my house & take away the rifle.

My apologies to all!...............I am not a CSP, just a newbie with a new rifle.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Andrapos,

WOW, I totally misinterpreted the replies!................I was scared sh-tless last night,  waiting for the CSP to storm my house & take away the rifle.

My apologies to all!...............I am not a CSP, just a newbie with a new rifle.

View Quote

Just make sure you pay your Mag tax and hide your dog
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Andrapos,

View Quote

Welcom to the CT section of ArfCom.  If you can't take a joke.........   You're gonna have a bad time.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Welcome to the forum . It's fun here
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Welcom to the CT section of ArfCom.  If you can't take a joke.........   You're gonna have a bad time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Andrapos,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top