Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2014 4:34:30 PM EDT
Hi all,

I've searched the CTHTF and tried to piece together information, but honestly, I just need a nice outline of the process in terms of owning a pre ban (if someone is willing to help). They fall under the same law as the AWB, but you still allowed to own them (e.g., 10 round magazines, evil features, etc.)? How do FFLs here feel about transferring prebans? Paperwork wise, is a pre ban treated as a regular rifle sale?

Thanks for entertaining my questions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a long gun or pistol eligibility cert or permit to carry pistol. Some ffls may want documentation that it is preban.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Pre-bans will be transfered by almost all FFL's, you can also do a private transfer if you want.

A pistol permit or long gun cert (if I remember correctly) is required to purchase a preban AW and must have a dps-3 and form 4473 filled out to purchase. You must also call DPS to confirm transfer of said firearm. Number is: eight 8 eight -three 3 five -eight 4 three 8

Prebans can have all the evil features you want and you may use magazines larger than 10 rounds, as long as you sent in the mag cert paperwork for the mags, at a licensed range or other places the law allows. You may not purchase new magazine over 10 rounds.

Eta- delta arsenal is a very good place to transfer pre-bans, they don't put up a stink, you almost feel like they are encouraging you lol
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Enough cash and I'll conceder it a pistol permit, now what do you want?  

Also, I'm defiantly not a cop so it's cool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Dan?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Sandy Hook Promise is here
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome Mike Lawlor, the nude photos of Malloy are a few threads down........
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hi all,

I've searched the CTHTF and tried to piece together information, but honestly, I just need a nice outline of the process in terms of owning a pre ban (if someone is willing to help). They fall under the same law as the AWB, but you still allowed to own them (e.g., 10 round magazines, evil features, etc.)? How do FFLs here feel about transferring prebans? Paperwork wise, is a pre ban treated as a regular rifle sale?
View Quote

If this is a serious question and not another troll post by Dan (or some anti rights person) then the process for buying a long gun either face to face or at retail (gun shop/FFL) is as follows. Prebans are generally treated like any other non assault weapon long gun for the purposes of sales/transfer. Some (many?) FFLs will require the buyer to prove age of preban manufacture in the form of a letter from the manufacturer. This usually requires the buyer to obtain the firearm serial number prior to purchase. The general process:
  • Buyer cannot be prohibited from owning a long gun. (duh)

• Buyer must present the seller one of the following; a valid long gun eligibility certificate, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver, or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver.

• Seller calls DESPP at (860) 685-8400 or at (888) 335-8438 for an authorization number where the background check is performed.

• If buying from a gun shop/FFL the ATF Form 4473 gets filled out by the buyer. (not needed for private face to face sales)

• The buyer fills out the DPS-67-C form which the seller keeps for 20 years.

• The seller fills out DPS-3-C form (typically 4 total). The seller retains the original (for at least 5 years). One copy generally goes to the buyer at point of sale/transfer. One copy goes to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. The final copy goes to the chief of police or the warden of the borough or the first selectman, of the town in which the buyer resides.

• The buyer hands over some form of payment.

• Seller hands over the long gun and the transaction is complete.
That's it.

The general concensous is that even though prebans can be sold and don't have to be registered they are still considered assault weapons which means they have to be transported per the assault weapons transport statute.

One is NOT prohibited from using (declared to the state) large capacity magazines in their preban.

Handgun sales are the same as they were prior to 4/4/13. And the sales process is pretty much identical to the long gun sales process with the exception of the buyer having to show either their pistol permit or pistol eligibility certificate.

Edit to add: The state forms.
Application to Purchase a Firearm - DPS-67-C  
Sale or Transfer of All Firearms - DPS-3-C
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome Mike Lawlor, the nude photos of Malloy are a few threads down........
View Quote

He is probably looking for nudes of the other Dan....

TSX
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn 14ers.  

Op what are you looking to get?

Also troll Dan?  Which one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not trolling, and I'm not the Dan fella. It was a serious question. My work led me here, and I'm not about to become a felon over something that was legal in the state I moved from.

I'm just looking to transfer a couple lowers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If this is a serious question and not another troll post by Dan (or some anti rights person) then the process for buying a long gun either face to face or at retail (gun shop/FFL) is as follows. Prebans are generally treated like any other non assault weapon long gun for the purposes of sales/transfer. Some (many?) FFLs will require the buyer to prove age of preban manufacture in the form of a letter from the manufacturer. This usually requires the buyer to obtain the firearm serial number prior to purchase. The general process:

• Buyer must present the seller one of the following; a valid long gun eligibility certificate, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver, or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver.

• Seller calls DESPP at (860) 685-8400 or at (888) 335-8438 for an authorization number where the background check is performed.

• If buying from a gun shop/FFL the ATF Form 4473 gets filled out by the buyer. (not needed for private face to face sales)

• The seller fills out DPS-3-C form (typically 4 total). The seller retains the original (for at least 5 years). One copy generally goes to the buyer at point of sale/transfer. One copy goes to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. The final copy goes to the chief of police or the warden of the borough or the first selectman, of the town in which the buyer resides.

That's it.

The general concensous is that even though prebans can be sold and don't have to be registered they are still considered assault weapons which means they have to be transported per the assault weapons transport statute.

One is NOT prohibited from using (declared to the state) large capacity magazines in their preban.

Handgun sales are the same as they were prior to 4/4/13. And the sales process is pretty much identical to the long gun sales process with the exception of the buyer having to show either their pistol permit or pistol eligibility certificate.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi all,

That's it.

Very nice post. This is a tag.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not trolling, and I'm not the Dan fella. It was a serious question. My work led me here, and I'm not about to become a felon over something that was legal in the state I moved from.

I'm just looking to transfer a couple lowers.
View Quote

Ok understood.  What do you want to transfer to yourself here in CT?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Pre-bans are legal. I just bought another one off Gunbroker for $650. I am transferring it through Delta Arsenal in Wallingford.

You do not need to register it with the state. Nor is there any limit on features. You can have whatever you like on it, bayonet lug, flash hider, collapsible stock, etc. You can SBR it too if you desire. That requires tax stamp from BAFTE but CT allows them.

You can also own suppressors here. Since I can't have some of the guns I want I have been collecting suppressors. You might want to get one before the state bans them too.

As for magazines, if you did not declare them prior to jan 1 2014 then you are limited to 10 rounds. You can pin them or have them pinned to limit them to 10 rounds. The modifications has to make them "not easily" converted back to standard capacity.

Handguns are pretty much good to go. Threaded barrels are a no go on a handgun produced after 9/13/1994. (Might have the exact day wrong but month and year are correct)

There is no mag tax. At least not yet. You might see posts about it. Just a hometown forum joke.

Lastly if you are .mil or LEO you are exempt. If you have been discharged in the last 90 days you can register anything you already own including declaring magazines.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I really appreciate the insight, fellas. It will definitely help as I go through the process to legally get them here. Honestly, it is difficult navigating state laws when moving, and then figuring out all the logistics to cover your behind and stay legal.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
What are you trying to bring into the state?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
He might not want to say.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
If one were traveling out of state and they run across a pre-ban on a shelf or god forbid at a gun show can they purchase it? I thought it is legal to purchase a long gun out of state but does a pre-ban require anything different? Or have things changed post Sandy Hook?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If one were traveling out of state and they run across a pre-ban on a shelf or god forbid at a gun show can they purchase it? I thought it is legal to purchase a long gun out of state but does a pre-ban require anything different? Or have things changed post Sandy Hook?
View Quote

Same rules for out of state purcahses for long guns still apply. Nothings changed post 4/4/13. If you can legally buy the long gun in CT then you can legally buy the long gun in another state. The catch has always been that the sale in another state MUST go through an FFL and that FFL is supposed to follow the laws of their state as well as the laws of CT. Which means they have to call DESPP for the sales authorization number and then fill out all the CT forms and send them to the appropriate people in CT. And one still has to show one of the relevant permits/certificates to purchase a long gun. An FFL who's not familiar with CT's laws may simply refuse the sale. If that's the case they could always send the long gun to a CT FFL and have the transfer done inside CT. For handguns those always have to go through the FFL in the buyer's home state.

Per the ATF:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top