Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2014 11:19:53 AM EDT
Its official, several Newtown families lawsuit filed against Bushmaster. Probably nothing more than a political/media stunt (but it was expected) since the gun was sold in accordance with all federal and state laws.

Families of Newtown victims sue gunmaker, seller

A law firm representing the families of nine of the 26 people killed and a teacher injured at the Sandy Hook Elementary School says it has filed a lawsuit against the manufacturer, distributor and seller of the rifle used in the shooting.

The negligence and wrongful death lawsuit asserts that the Bushmaster AR-15 rifle should not have been made publicly available because it is a military weapon unsuited for civilian use.

Massive fix for the country's most popular gun

In addition to Bushmaster, the families have named Camfour, a firearm distributor, and Riverview Gun Sales, the store where the Bushmaster rifle was purchased in 2010. Messages seeking comment from the defendants were not immediately returned.

The 40-page complaint was filed in superior court in Bridgeport
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you say "money grab"? They are hoping to settle out of court.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you say "money grab"? They are hoping to settle out of court.
View Quote

Yep.  There hasn't been even one lawsuit against a manufacturer that won in court on these grounds, so they're doing this as a nuisance lawsuit.

Does anyone know whether Bushmaster is the type who'll buckle under?  Or are they the type who'll fight to the bitter end?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone know whether Bushmaster is the type who'll buckle under?  Or are they the type who'll fight to the bitter end?
View Quote

They'll settle to make the bad press go away. They've settled in the past.

Gunmaker, Store Agree To Payout in Sniper Case

Two survivors and the families of six slain victims of the 2002 sniper shootings have reached a $2.5 million settlement with the manufacturer of the Bushmaster rifle used during the attacks and the gun shop from which it had been stolen.

The victims' attorneys said yesterday that it was the first time a gunmaker has paid damages for crimes committed with its weapons. The manufacturer, Bushmaster Firearms Inc. of Windham, Maine, "paid damages for negligence leading to the criminal use of a gun," said the victims' co-counsel, Dennis Henigan.

"That's why it's a breakthrough of lasting significance," said Henigan, who also is legal director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which is based in the District.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I sense a motion to strike incoming.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Two survivors and the families of six slain victims of the 2002 sniper shootings have reached a $2.5 million settlement with the manufacturer of the Bushmaster rifle used during the attacks and the gun shop from which it had been stolen.

The victims' attorneys said yesterday that it was the first time a gunmaker has paid damages for crimes committed with its weapons. The manufacturer, Bushmaster Firearms Inc. of Windham, Maine, "paid damages for negligence leading to the criminal use of a gun," said the victims' co-counsel, Dennis Henigan.

"That's why it's a breakthrough of lasting significance," said Henigan, who also is legal director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which is based in the District.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the same owners anymore. I believe the "old" Bushmaster contributed to the $2.5 Million dollar settlement. They did not foot the whole tab.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I would expect Freedom Group to bankrupt Bushmaster and have their product line reappear with Remington logo's.  Brand consolidation was most likely what they were going to do anyway even without the lawsuit.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" protect all those named in this suite?  Sure, it will cost them legal fees but the law seems pretty clear on this since the transfers were done by the books?

The DC shooter was likely only settled because the gun was stolen from a store.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Doesn't the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" protect all those named in this suite?  Sure, it will cost them legal fees but the law seems pretty clear on this since the transfers were done by the books?

View Quote

Does anyone have a link to the complaint?  I am curious how the plaintiffs and their attorneys plan to argue around that law and avoid a motion for sanctions for bringing an obviously frivolous lawsuit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
From the WFSB article:

The senators will unveil a pin they plan to wear on the floor of the U.S. Capitol as a reminder of the problem.
View Quote

This sounds more like a Sunday morning QVC ad than a serious political statement.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]
In all honesty I've lost all sympathy for these people.

The fact that they think their children's lives are worth more than the people's rights is just sickening, and is degrading to the many more parents who've lost children defending those very same rights and freedoms...
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
This explains why NBC was at Riverview this afternoon taking footage.

Quoted:
In addition to Bushmaster, the families have named Camfour, a firearm distributor, and Riverview Gun Sales, the store where the Bushmaster rifle was purchased in 2010. Messages seeking comment from the defendants were not immediately returned.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just there today around 12, didn't see any news trucks there, but they should really take down the signs that say guns on them, because there aren't any...
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
My first thought was that there was a federal law to stop this type of harrassment of gun manufacturers. Or was there an executive order signed to go ahead and allow the suit this one time only.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/product-liability-and-guns.html

This page help gives a simple explanation behind lawsuits like this.  I also thought the gun industry was protected by a law passed in the early 2000s to avoid these lawsuits.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This page help gives a simple explanation behind lawsuits like this.  I also thought the gun industry was protected by a law passed in the early 2000s to avoid these lawsuits.
View Quote

Yea I have things numerous things about how companies in general are protected from this shit while gun makers have a very specific law saying they can't be sued.  

This is just a show of attention and to start shit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea I have things numerous things about how companies in general are protected from this shit while gun makers have a very specific law saying they can't be sued.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Arguments seem to be pretty full of fail since the AR15 is not a military firearm, it is a military-style firearm

They are going after some pretty deep pockets there, ones with the resources to fight this for quite a while.  Do you think those suing are betting their suite is just below the projected cost to fight this since one of the defendants is an investment group?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#20]
THIS
Quoted:

The fact that they think their children's lives are worth more than the people's rights is just sickening, and is degrading to the many more parents who've lost children defending those very same rights and freedoms...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

THIS
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS
Quoted:

Arguments seem to be pretty full of fail since the AR15 is not a military firearm, it is a military-style firearm

They are going after some pretty deep pockets there, ones with the resources to fight this for quite a while.  Do you think those suing are betting their suite is just below the projected cost to fight this since one of the defendants is an investment group?

IMPECCABLE TIMING AS WELL
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#21]
It places blame on video games, specifically Call of Duty (points 80 and 81) even though they are not being sued, weird...

Dickbags (WSJ) made the document non-searchable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice of them to omit (since it wasn't by the Bushmaster) the fact of the mother getting dead by her son's hands when he took, arguably stole, HER firearms at point 154.

Had to stop reading shortly after that due to all the derp. They've coined a new term "combat rifle" and apply it to all civilian sold AR's. LOL at how they try to claim that an AR isn't a good self defense weapon. If its so poor then why do police keep them in their patrol vehicles?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice of them to omit the fact of the mother getting dead by her son's hands (since it wasn't by the Bushmaster) when he took, arguably stole, HER firearms at point 154.

Had to stop reading shortly after that due to all the derp. They've coined a new term "combat rifle" and apply it to all civilian sold AR's. LOL at how they try to claim that an AR isn't a good self defense weapon. If its so poor then why do police keep them in their patrol vehicles?
View Quote

Shit, here it comes... The 2015 Combat Rifle ban.  The stuttering bastard will have his green tie and senatorial lapel pin in and all for this announcement.

Counter suit:  Bushmaster and company sue the state of CT for its failed mental health system, lack of security at educational facilities, poor 911 response times, lack of training in dealing with this event, sealing medical information now being used against them and slander.

Not really, but it would have more legal standing than the current suit since they are all protected from this under federal law.  One can dream, right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Shit, here it comes... The 2015 Combat Rifle ban.  The stuttering bastard will have his green tie and senatorial lapel pin in and all for this announcement.

Counter suit:  Bushmaster and company sue the state of CT for its failed mental health system, lack of security at educational facilities, poor 911 response times, lack of training in dealing with this event, sealing medical information now being used against them and slander.

Not really, but it would have more legal standing than the current suit since they are all protected from this under federal law.  One can dream, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice of them to omit the fact of the mother getting dead by her son's hands (since it wasn't by the Bushmaster) when he took, arguably stole, HER firearms at point 154.

I was thinking the same thing. Bushmaster should  also counter-sue the Lanza family for not properly monitoring their child and keeping the guns out of his reach. Also sue Newtown for not stopping the bullying that made him do this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#25]
1) The attorney for this group is really blown it.  One would think that you would cast a net as large as you can in a suit like this to encompass as many possible defendants as possible:
       Where the hell is Mr. Lansa?  The father of this murderer KNEW there were firearms in the house.  He was "estranged" from the household but still had some say in his kids behavior.  
       What about Mrs. Lansa.  Just because she was murdered by her screwed up kids doesn't excuse her for allowing the firearms into the home and improperly managed.  Did you read what the town and  
       bank did about her house?  They demolished any value it had and are probably going to tear it down.  Regardless, it should be part of the net.

2) From what I heard this morning on WTIC during the interview, if the wording that was used during the interview was lifted verbatim from the lawsuit, they're going to have a problem. The AR-15 is a totally civilian firearm
   yet it was categorized as one used by the military as well.  That's just ignorant.  That's like saying the Chevy Monaco they race in Nascar is the SAME car that your old grandmother drives to church.  Nothing could be
    further from the facts but that won't stop some ignorant lawyer from trying to lump it in saying it's a military weapon.  If you were an experienced defendant's lawyer you'd be able to come up with a dozen great analogies
    to defeat that one bold-faced lie.

3)  Where is the net cast over the school system itself?  They knew about his proclivities and weirdness.  They had a responsibility NOT so much to the murderer's family BUT to the community at large.  It's been
     documented that AL was known to them and their system?  Doctors knew about him, too, yet did nothing.  Why won't they be sued?  

It's estimated that there are well over 11million AR15s in the country probably manufactured by over 100 different companies.  None of those other 10, 999, 999 have been used in a murder spree.  What makes that one so special?   Hammers, chisels, saws, and nail guns have all been used in murders.  Should they all be sued as well?  Where is the common sense here?

Are the plaintiffs going to sue Toyota for transporting AL to the school, allowing him to have space in the  trunk for ammo and shotguns?  Are they going to sue Wrangler Jeans because their pockets could easily carry a couple of mags?  How 'bout hush-puppy shoes for silencing his walk into the hallway?  I mean, where  does this all end??

I truly hope that Bushmaster/Freedom Group take this suit by the horns and cut the plaintiffs off at the knees by exposing how vacuous their attempt is at exhorting blood money from a innocent company.    

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I still can't wrap my head around a (literally) anorexic young man who was afraid of loud noises and crowds, who lived in a self-imposed isolation room with the windows blacked out, suddenly becoming the Terminator.

Think about it. Six feet tall. 112 pounds.

So strange.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I still can't wrap my head around a (literally) anorexic young man who was afraid of loud noises and crowds, who lived in a self-imposed isolation room with the windows blacked out, suddenly becoming the Terminator.

So strange.
View Quote

LOL   ....    who was it then OJ
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Gotta be retard strength... 112 pounds? That's a skeleton - near death....
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck Hockley, Heslin and all the parents that were flying on Air Force 1 and continue to try to shred the 2nd amendment.

All of those parents (those treading on the constitution) lost my sympathy the moment they started trying to assault my freedoms (they started in January 2013).  Fuck them.

I hope they suffer for the rest of their lives.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]

gonna throw this out there- they lost their child/children! I do not agree with what they are doing but I do understand their anger! they need someone to blame, they need someone to hate! their feelings are not rational, they are based purely on emotion! it is not a rational course of action! They need to assign blame and have spoken to lawyers! This is where we are...........You may flame on....... but does that really do anything?I do not support anything our CT legislature does with the exception of supporting and funding increased mental health support!

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't care if they lost their entire families.  Those infringing on my natural and constitutional rights are freedom hating commies and deserve to suffer.

Fuck 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So strange.
View Quote

It's an AR, not like an African Safari gun you shoot elephants with or a crew served Mk-19.  I could probably get my friends 5yr old to operate one my ARs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think you're correct.

gonna throw this out there- they lost their child/children! I do not agree with what they are doing but I do understand their anger! they need someone to blame, they need someone to hate! their feelings are not rational, they are based purely on emotion! it is not a rational course of action! They need to assign blame and have spoken to lawyers! This is where we are...........You may flame on....... but does that really do anything?I do not support anything our CT legislature does with the exception of supporting and funding increased mental health support!

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I understand this for a certain period of time. However emotions fade and logic and reason creep back into place. At this point I believe there is some profiteering on the blood of dead kids. The people who are at that phase have lost my sympathy. Your tragedy does not supersede my rights or the law, period.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#37]
This lawsuit is just another attempt at gun control.  If congress won't do their bidding, perhaps the courts will.

As for sympathy for the families.  I ran out of gives a fuck the second they used their tragedy against me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ Yup. They need to assign blame and the perps already dead so there's no satisfaction in focusing on him. Things like poor parenting, lack of social support structure, lack of mental health support feel like abstract topics and they're all difficult to fix anyway. Guns and gun manufacturers are the most convenient targets because they're a tangible thing that you can point at and say "ban those and all the bad stuff will go away". (Of course we all know you can't... and it won't)

I'm not trying to trivialize the families either. I can't imagine what they've gone through... what it would be like to lose a child. But what you said is exactly right. The reaction is emotional and not the slightest bit rational.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Notice there's no call for "gun control" after 148 children are slaughtered in Pakistan...

We should send these losers over there to help. That's my vote. I'll even buy airfare for Ron Pinciaro (one way)...

Oh wait, those aren't cute blond haired blue eyed babies... Must not count.

Sick eh?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Everyone relax. Assuming Bushmaster won't settle, they will not win their case. There is no way a judge would rule in favor of the plantiffs
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Everyone relax. Assuming Bushmaster won't settle, they will not win their case. There is no way a judge would rule in favor of the plantiffs
View Quote

There was this case where a man decapitated his ex-wife with a knife, killed her boyfriend, and bled all over the scene in the process. Left some clothing. He then led police on a chase lasting a few hours before being captured with a disguise, his passport,  10k cash, a gun, etc...

No way he could win right?

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#42]
The lawful commerce in arms act will prevent this from getting very far. Some sympathetic judge may let it slip thru a few times & of course the real intent is to try & bully gun manufacturers into only making guns approved by anti-gun groups.

Link below to law professor Eugene Volokh's analysis:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/16/lawsuit-filed-against-gun-manufacturers-and-dealers-over-sandy-hook-murders/
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Who SHOULD be sued for making the school a "gun-free zone", where a qualified employee can get fired for bringing a legally registered gun into the facility?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Bunch of fuckin yuppies that get together to keep screwing us. Maybe they should leave to another state where it's safe for them instead of fucking us

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So strange.
View Quote

It's because he used a pistol.  Not the big bad AR-15 with all that recoil.  Is that what you are getting at?

What are you suggesting there fearme?

It happened.   The kids were piled up in a corner.  They could barely comprehend what the fuck was going in complete shock as their bodies exploded from the hydrostatic shock.  Some had limbs and facial parts blown clear off.  They probably didn't know what happened.  Unable to completely process the unlikely scene of some skinny autist popping into their classroom with a rifle...They probably never even felt much pain.  Just confusion, fear, and shock until things went dark.

It's the single most evil moment of our state's history.  No fucking way around it.

There is a whole lot of strange shit mixed into the details.  But none of that changes that an AR ripped a shitload of little kids to shreds.  It was the absolute best presentation of target that Lanza could had hoped for.  He lucked the fuck out.  Those kids and their families....not so much.

So why don't you tell us what you think happened that day....

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Who SHOULD be sued for making the school a "gun-free zone", where a qualified employee can get fired for bringing a legally registered gun into the facility?
View Quote

Estate of Nancy.

Instead of making her kid see medical help, give him guns.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Please don't encourage him or anyone else for that matter.  It would make me want to staple the autopsy reports to their foreheads.  Enough of that moonbat bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Please don't encourage him or anyone else for that matter.  It would make me want to staple the autopsy reports to their foreheads.  Enough of that moonbat bullshit.
View Quote

Paul Vance the crossdresser doctored those reports with his boyfriend, Robbie Parker the crisis actor.

I have proof.  The CSP badges use a 33* angle for a reason.......and they are all now all members of the screen actors guild

When Dodd went to the MPAA I knew we were fucked....

Now only Kim ol sung has the truth.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Estate of Nancy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Estate of Nancy.

I mean if ANYONE could carry at the School, from an administrator to a custodian, they could have stopped this punk!

He already murdered his mother.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Paul Vance the crossdresser doctored those reports with his boyfriend, Robbie Parker the crisis actor.

I have proof.  The CSP badges use a 33* angle for a reason.......and they are all now all members of the screen actors guild

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh....sure.  Sounds about right.   Absinthe will kill you.  Just saying.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top