BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing your recipes guys.  Ill keep that info for later whenever i get into reloading

Shot a box of winchester 150 gr 30.06 today.....with no gas plug.  Ran fine like that, cylinder lock did not back off at all.  This is easily sliding into first as my favorite rifle to shoot.
View Quote

Told ya it would work.

Years ago I would hip shoot the garand (when no one was around). I placed targets like shot gun hulls or pieces of wood @ the 50 yard sand berm and I would stand infront of the shooting tables and plink at them. Dad said "you don't use the sights much in close, shoot from the hip, you get faster shots off when your close"
After a few rounds off the hip, he was right. It's amazing how close you get to a target just by pointing it and pulling the trigger.
Of course if I tried that when people are around, someone whould report me for being unsafe.
I shot that rifle in the video a lot, but I clean it and store it properly. I have a 8 round clip in my safe loaded. If I reach for it, I could have it hot in a few moments. I think it's more lethal that an AR15, just because I can shoot thru stuff if needed...
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Old people guns....

Hey guiz......My M1A isn't fuddy enough?  How do I make it more fudd?

M1 Garand thirdy odd six hrumph

Next step.......musket balls
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea you did pain!  That's gotta be pretty fun, I'll have to give hip firing a try!  

Typhoid....just wait, one day you'll come around.  Honestly I'm tired of my ar's.  They all run the same, they get dirty too damn fast, there are never any malfunctions, just kinda boring.   Now the m1.  It's something different,  been around for a long damn time.  Has a lot of history.  Is a powerful round.  Has a cool loading procedure( is risky to mess around with. And has the most bad ass and recognizable sounds after finishing a clip.  Oh and assholes can say clip when they're talking about it and you don't have to correct them
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's nothing wrong with muskets
It's one 50 cal we can own here in CT
</a>" />
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg199/pvarg1/50cal2013Bucks001_zpsf729984f.jpg</a>" />
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg199/pvarg1/50cal2013Bucks001_zpsf729984f.jpg</a>" />

Prebans
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Spent a really enjoyable couple of hours with Edge and shooting some really cool stuff especially his new toy.  Imagine, shooting without muffs.  Impressive.  Always nice to meet new guys from the 'net.  

Rome
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Spent a really enjoyable couple of hours with Edge and shooting some really cool stuff especially his new toy.  Imagine, shooting without muffs.  Impressive.  Always nice to meet new guys from the 'net.  

Rome
View Quote

Had a nice time shooting and talking today. Shoot Rome's Garand and it is fun! Now I am on the hunt for one.

Typhoid (Richard Simmons) calls it a fudd gun? Well coming from a guy with a Richard Simmons avatar not sure I can really trust his opinions.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Had a nice time shooting and talking today. Shoot Rome's Garand and it is fun! Now I am on the hunt for one.

Typhoid (Richard Simmons) calls it a fudd gun? Well coming from a guy with a Richard Simmons avatar not sure I can really trust his opinions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rome

haha too true.  But yea edge, look no further than the CMP, you wont be disappointed!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree.  As I suggested, just buy one, not contingent on condition.  Then bring it back to life with parts from the field.  You'll thank me later.

Rome
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Firepolock/Cabinetman, I am looking at a CMP rifle unless for the same money I can find one local. I will restore it with matching parts . I enjoy hunting down parts and tinkering.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Firepolock/Cabinetman, I am looking at a CMP rifle unless for the same money I can find one local. I will restore it with matching parts . I enjoy hunting down parts and tinkering.
View Quote

where did i come in to play? lol
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOPS, I meant Bending. Sorry man!
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I was at Center Sports in Columbia the other day and they had 4 M1s on the rack.  I didn't check what grade
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Prices??  

In my opinion, grade is almost not important.  What is important is that you get a Garand.  There are so many sources out there that will sell Garand parts that you can retrofit onto a sub-standard rifle and bring it up to snuff that grade becomes superfluous.   Barrels, plugs, triggers, op-rods, springs, followers, etc., etc., can all be sourced.  Check out Fulton Arms or Orion 7 (http://www.m1garand.com/).  Ultimately you too can have a correct, accurate and safe Garand in your safe or closet.  It's really a great opportunity.  Hell, even eBay has Garand parts anymore.  Remember when if you even mentioned the word "gun" on eBay you'd get closed down?  I got a perfect replacement barrel for my Garand off it eBay years ago.

Rome
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel that the grade (from cmp) is important. Muzzle wear will affect accuracy. A muzzle reading of 2 or better is best. A service grade will (or should) have better barrel specs, wood and appearance than field or rack grades. The recent field and service grades have been running very nice, many with original barrels. I agree that any garand can be upgraded with better or correct parts, but would recommend buying a service grade thru the mail, or a field grade in person, if you have the chance to get to camp perry or anniston. All of mine were handpicked by myself at both stores, and taken home immediately (the good old days).
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I know Rome is right in so much as you can source everything to restore it. In the end of course you can spend more but get a really good gun exactly how you want it.

I am trying to locate a good gun with matching barrel. I want muzzle wear of less than 2. The rest of the gun I can change parts to get them all the same vintage. A barrel replacement would be nice to avoid as that is expensive. Between finding a good NOS barrel and the gunsmith work to replace it it could be $300-500 just for that. The rest including the stock can be replaced by me.

CMP certainly gets me in the M1 Garand game. Most likely the barrel does not match the receiver. I am one of those guys who likes things original. Just how I am. So having a barrel that is of a different vintage than my receiver would bother me. I know it does not effect the operation or accuracy.

I think I found one with barrel that is the same vintage as the receiver. MW is a 1+ and TW is 4. This is in a shop so I can check it out first.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to be the same way, everything needed to be correct for the rifle.  Nowadays, if your restoring a WWII gun, you're looking at $300-$500 for a stock, $150 for an uncut op rod, $90 for a bolt, $100 for internals, and $150-$200 for rear sights, just to name a few. Post war rifles are less expensive to correct, but that's changing quickly too.  Financially you'll have way more into it than the rifle is worth.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#18]
So, some of you are saying that if you stumbled across an authentic WWII issue but beater Garand in the rack at NGX for, say,under $600, you'd leave it there?  If that's the case, email me and I'll give you my phone number so you can call to tell me.  I've been in the field enough to know that even finding a Garand is like a needle in a haystack anymore.  AAMOF, NGX is precisely where I found my Garand, quite by happenstance.  I wandered in to see what was on the C&R rack and lo and behold there it was.  At first I thought I was seeing things.  Admittedly this is a while back, but my "beater" Garand cost me $476.99 out the door in November of 2000 and I think I floated out to my car I was so stoked.  I did have the good bones of a rifle that would lend itself to restoration.  I ended up replacing the barrel because this one was so shot out and so worn from that steel cleaning rod that it would swallow not only the entire bullet in a round but the neck of the brass as well!  Needless to say it was pretty worn.  But, everything else was salvagable and for a few hundred more the thing was a keeper, uber accurate and a blast to shoot.  

$476.99 in 2000 dollars is  $659 in 2014 dollars.  That's where I'd be.
Rome
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I have yet to find an authenic wwII issue garand at any gun shop, but then again, I usually don't have that kind of luck. If I was lucky enought to stumble upon a correct and original, I'd expect to pay upwards of $1500 to $2000. The ones I've seen, are typical post war rebuilds (similar to cmp field and service grades) for $900 to $1000. But then again, I don't make the fun store rounds very often.

Depending on your knowledge level, do a lot of research. Scott Duff's books, Bruce Canfield's new book, there is a lot of small stuff to know with these rifles if you try to correct one, or buy a correct one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Rome, If I found one for that price I would grab it in a heartbeat. Even a CMP gun is pushing $800 with shipping and transfer fee. That is why I am searching locally so I can get one that has good muzzle and throat wear with correct barrel. The rest I can deal with myself a little at a time.

My limit is $900-950 for this. I would go a hair more if it had more parts correct. I am sure I will stumble across a beater for a good price and if so I will buy it. My son always need a new gun.

Like I said I enjoy tinkering with my guns and ammo as much or more than shooting them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Greg, rest assured if I ever see one for sale or hear of one for sale, I'll keep you posted.  I do happen do know where there are a few owned by another C&R fella here in town.  I'll chat him up after the holiday.

Ro

PS:  All you fellow shooters out there, Have a Safe and Enjoyable New Year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Greg, rest assured if I ever see one for sale or hear of one for sale, I'll keep you posted.  I do happen do know where there are a few owned by another C&R fella here in town.  I'll chat him up after the holiday.

Ro

PS:  All you fellow shooters out there, Have a Safe and Enjoyable New Year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Stopped by Center Sports in Columbia today and they have 3 on the rack

The one on the left is one from a guy's personal collection

It's "correct" grade and includes bayonet, sling, 2 bandoleers, 2 5 round clips, cleaning kit, & 96 rounds of ammo $1199

The one in the middle is "RM1 Service Grade" for $899 Muzzle Reading is a 2 and Throat Reading is a 3+

The one on the right is also "RM1 Service Grade" for $899  Muzzle Reading is a 3 and Throat Reading is a 3+

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you JeepinMaxx
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Mitz A&A in shelton also has a garland on the rack- don't know the price but Gary is fair and would probably work with someone if they were interested
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Stopped by Center Sports in Columbia today and they have 3 on the rack

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeepinMaxx/media/Pics/CSGarands_zps4953d3ba.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/JeepinMaxx/Pics/CSGarands_zps4953d3ba.jpg</a>

The one on the left is one from a guy's personal collection

It's "correct" grade and includes bayonet, sling, 2 bandoleers, 2 5 round clips, cleaning kit, & 96 rounds of ammo $1199

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeepinMaxx/media/Pics/CSStevesGarandTagExtras_zps5ec8462b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/JeepinMaxx/Pics/CSStevesGarandTagExtras_zps5ec8462b.jpg</a>

The one in the middle is "RM1 Service Grade" for $899 Muzzle Reading is a 2 and Throat Reading is a 3+

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeepinMaxx/media/Pics/CSMiddleGunCMPTag_zps092e7c36.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/JeepinMaxx/Pics/CSMiddleGunCMPTag_zps092e7c36.jpg</a>

The one on the right is also "RM1 Service Grade" for $899  Muzzle Reading is a 3 and Throat Reading is a 3+

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeepinMaxx/media/Pics/CSRightGunCMPTag_zps9af689b0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/JeepinMaxx/Pics/CSRightGunCMPTag_zps9af689b0.jpg</a>
View Quote

My bank account hates you
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#27]
you would think that they would at least remove the cmp hang tags
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#28]
That's kinda messed up....
FYI guys...SG from CMP is 695+30shipping+FFL fee and even add in 25 bucks to become a member of your not a member of a club....easily beats those prices....

But either way good looking out jeepin!
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FYI guys...SG from CMP is 695+30shipping+FFL fee and even add in 25 bucks to become a member of your not a member of a club....easily beats those prices....

View Quote

$695 plus $30 shipping plus $25 for club membership plus $20 for transfer fee = $770. This gets you the next gun in the batch. $899, $130 more allows to to see it before buying it.

I am the type of guy who has to have all matching numbers on everything I own. So for me I rather pay the premium to find one with a good matching barrel and other parts that match. if you just want a good shooter and don't care if it is all correct for the date of manufacture than CMP is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

$695 plus $30 shipping plus $25 for club membership plus $20 for transfer fee = $770. This gets you the next gun in the batch. $899, $130 more allows to to see it before buying it.

I am the type of guy who has to have all matching numbers on everything I own. So for me I rather pay the premium to find one with a good matching barrel and other parts that match. if you just want a good shooter and don't care if it is all correct for the date of manufacture than CMP is the way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also prefer to look before I buy and I'm a bit impatient, I like walking out with something. I may visit Columbia sports tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would also prefer to look before I buy and I'm a bit impatient, I like walking out with something. I may visit Columbia sports tomorrow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They look like nice guns. Go for it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I bring one home I may leave in a body bag
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just put it in the safe. That is what I do. All the wooden guns look the same to my wife. Then if she asks I say I had it for a while.

My trick is to never complain about anything she buys. And she grumbles but never really gets too mad about my stuff. I also have been selling other hobby stuff I no longer use. That is the money I use for guns. I have only taken money for her Glock and my 1911 out of the regular finances. Everything else has been money reclaimed from selling stuff I no longer use or need.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry I didn't have time to check the manufacture marks and such.  The 1st one with all the accessories is a 1954.  The guy who is selling it is a Garand nut!  The others are earlier 1940's CMP.  I'm running a pistol class all day tomorrow, so I wont have time to travel the 2 miles to recon more info, but I can stop by Sunday if anyone want's more info off the receiver, charging handle, etc...  I'm friends with the owner at Center Sports and bought an early one with a Winchester receiver from him last year.  If you bring cash, he may budge on the price...  I'll be around Sunday afternoon if anyone want's to meet me over there to negotiate :-)
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know if you guys know this but when you buy a CMP rifle, it's supposed to stay with you and not get sold.  The prices they ask for their rifles is meant to be affordable, costing only what it costs them to acquire and process and store.  The're not in the business of making tons of profit.  So, there used to be an agreement that the new owner would not buy a rifle and then sell it.  I haven't combed through the CMP website recently to see if that is mentioned any more.  So, yes, those CMP tags should have been removed.

Rome
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't know if you guys know this but when you buy a CMP rifle, it's supposed to stay with you and not get sold.  The prices they ask for their rifles is meant to be affordable, costing only what it costs them to acquire and process and store.  The're not in the business of making tons of profit.  So, there used to be an agreement that the new owner would not buy a rifle and then sell it.  I haven't combed through the CMP website recently to see if that is mentioned any more.  So, yes, those CMP tags should have been removed.

Rome
View Quote

This is exactly what I thought, and yes it's still on the website, and it's even on the forms you have to fill out and mail in with the order.
This is also why I said its kinda messed up in my above post...
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#37]
That's the one issue I always had w/ Orest Michaels. When he took over at CMP (when  the DCM was changed from a "government" agency to a civilian agency), he dropped the once in a lifetime policy of the old DCM, to 3 guns a year, which was good.  But then, they opened it up to 12 a year, the market was flooded with CMP guns. It did move a lot of inventory and made money for shooting sports, but the concept of not selling your CMP gun went out the window.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Got it back together last night(spring kit came in yesterday)
Another rifle in the middle of being put back together too(waiting on a new brake).
The lower pic shows the bad springs....
And FYI anyone else that dares to take apart the Trigger group.....DO NOT take out the clip ejector spring!  Im not joking, that was one of the worst things Ive ever had to do working on a firearm  I literally blame my migraine last night on dealing with it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Clip ejector springs can suck. I had a hammer spring that tore my hands up. That one was a bitch
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll be stripping then regreasing mine after the kids go to bed. Replaced my firing pin last night. Hopfully the range will be dead tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's the one issue I always had w/ Orest Michaels. When he took over at CMP (when  the DCM was changed from a "government" agency to a civilian agency), he dropped the once in a lifetime policy of the old DCM, to 3 guns a year, which was good.  But then, they opened it up to 12 a year, the market was flooded with CMP guns. It did move a lot of inventory and made money for shooting sports, but the concept of not selling your CMP gun went out the window.
View Quote

Orest always had an explanation for that as well, which was that CMP was not chartered to provide a continuous supply of M1 or other rifles forever and ever. Rather, they were supposed to be a fundraiser, so that CMP would have the resources necessary to fulfill it's true mission relating to the promotion of marksmanship training and firearms safety.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Varg-yep the hammer spring sucked too.  But luckily there is a strategy to reinstalling it.  The clip ejector spring is pretty much, just pray for it to go in.....haha

jeff-yea it'd be nice, the last few times have been BUSY!  SO far Im not having any issues, loading/unloading, DRYfiring, ejecting, etc.  SO hopefully under live fire it works the same!  Well see tomorrow!
And compare some grease!

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I am hoping to finish my bench this weekend. Then I can put poly on it. My plan is to use the bench next weekend. I have a few projects stacking up.

I want to strip my Garand and inspect.

I also have an AMT backup 45 a friend gave me. It is in the original box with 3 magazines. Hardly looks used. I want to strip and clean that too.

Just picked up another pre-ban lower. Need to strip and clean it.

I also need to get my presses mounted and load up some ammo to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Bending, did you shoot your Garand with the new springs yet? Curious if you got it fixed.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bending, did you shoot your Garand with the new springs yet? Curious if you got it fixed.

View Quote

Yep I did, its running flawlessly now!  Such a shame, I liked working on it

Luckily I have a raw leather m1907 sling coming in, so I can work on getting that to a nice color.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#46]
My bench is finally done. Now I have to build cabinets and hang them, then I can put up some pegboard. Hoping later today to start on this.

Then my plan is to disassemble my Garand and inventory all the parts on it, clean it and check springs, etc. I like everything to match so any parts that were replaced with non-origianl I will hunt down. I enjoy the search for parts and stuff.

I bought another Garand and it got to Delta Thursday. I will pick the up next week. This one is a post war Springfield model. So once I have that I will do the same to it. I will give this one to my son.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know of the clubs that are $25 to join?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top