3 gun shooting match consisting of centerfire rifle, shotgun, defensive handgun
of at least 9mm Para or .38 Special. There will be 2 Classes, one for iron
sights/pump action shotgun, the other is open to optics/semi-auto
shotguns.

Some
Particulars
:

• Pistol permit, law enforcement badge/ID,
    active duty military ID or a CT rod and gun club ID are required for entry.

• There will be a $10.00 entry fee.

• A maximum of 30 rounds for rifle
    magazines.
    e.g. No Surefire, Beta C-
    Mags, C-Products ASC 40rounders etc.

• Shotguns can only be loaded with a
    maximum of 5 rds. until the first shot.

• Handgun magazines must be standard for
    that model.
    e.g. No Glock 33 round magazines.

• Handgun holster with retention is required,
    and guns cannot fall out onto the ground.

• Scoring will be a hybrid of idpa/NRA with
    accuracy being emphasized.

• Shooters will need 2 chamber flags, one
    for the rife and one for the shotgun.

• The course will require approximately 70 rifle rounds, 4 shotgun slugs, 16 rounds of birdshot and 70 rounds for handgun. Shooters are encouraged to bring extra ammo.

Safety will be stressed over speed! Improper handling
of firearms, breaking the 180° while shooting, dropping a firearm and all other
unsafe practices will result in immediate disqualification.

For more information please visit andoversportsmansclub.com.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
How are people with no standard caps able to compete without a disadvantage? I've wanted to get into IDPA or 3 gun but have been wondering about the disparity.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are people with no standard caps able to compete without a disadvantage? I've wanted to get into IDPA or 3 gun but have been wondering about the disparity.
View Quote

Vote Malloy out

But in all seriousness.....this is a major problem with the new laws.  Antis think that standard capacity mags are only used for violent crimes, and only criminals need them.  

To answer your question though, maybe someone would lend you a few for the match.  OR bring 6 or more 10 round mags....you will end up being the best at mag changes  In the 2 matches Ive done so far, I downloaded my mags just so I could practice changing mags.

Either way, sounds like a good time up there guys!  I just did my first 3 gun last weekend, fun as hell!  It'll be more fun with more experience
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Vote Malloy out
But in all seriousness.....this is a major problem with the new laws.  Antis think that standard capacity mags are only used for violent crimes, and only criminals need them.  

To answer your question though, maybe someone would lend you a few for the match.  OR bring 6 or more 10 round mags....you will end up being the best at mag changes

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vote Malloy out

To answer your question though, maybe someone would lend you a few for the match.  OR bring 6 or more 10 round mags....you will end up being the best at mag changes

+1 this.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same way they have to defend themselves at a disadvantage - the best they can.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Fairly sure IDPA has a 10 round limit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well then... FIDPA
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well then... FIDPA
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then... FIDPA

Hahaha, yup!

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
http://andoversportsmansclub.com/news-events/three-gun-shoot

Equipment:

Required Equipment: Hearing protection, eye protection, center-fire rifle, shotgun, defensive handgun, handgun holster with

holster retention and two chamber flags. The handgun minimum caliber must be at least 9mm parabellum or .38 special. There is a strict, 30 round capacity limit for rifle magazines. No magazines of greater capacity will be allowed. Handgun magazines must be standard for the model of handgun used, no extended capacity magazines will be allowed. Shotguns can only be loaded with five rounds maximum until the first shot.

Ammunition: Approximately 70 rounds of rifle ammunition, 4, 12 gauge slugs, approximately 16 rounds of 12 gauge birdshot and approximately 70 rounds of ammunition for your handgun. It is highly recommended to bring more than you will need.

Recommended Equipment: Appropriate clothing for the season, food and drink.

Course of Fire:

This match will consist of shooting a rifle stage, shotgun stage and a handgun stage. This is a tactical match that will utilize and help you to develop skills with a modern sporting rifle, a repeating, 12 gauge shotgun and a defensive caliber handgun. There will be 2 classes: One class will consist of iron sighted weapons and a pump, 12 gauge shotgun. The other class will allow an optic on the rifle and/ or a semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun. Scoring will be done on a hybrid IDPA/ NRA system wherein accuracy will be emphasized but above all, Safety will be stressed. Breaking the 180, dropping a firearm, or other unsafe actions will result in disqualification. There will be procedural penalties assessed for minor infractions. This match will be relatively beginner-friendly, but the experienced shooters will still face some challenges. Positional shooting will be part of the stages. Targets will be a mix of paper, steel and clay pigeons. Competitors not actively shooting or on deck, will be asked to help set up targets, replace clay pigeons and paste or staple targets to make the match run faster
View Quote

OK, so they have 2 divisions based on the action of your shotgun.

Nov 23? 8:30 am.

I use irons on everything and can keep up with optic guys at close range (they only shoot out to 100 yards),  but I'm not sure how fast I can quad load my Winchester if my hands get too cold waiting for slowpokes.

It sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you shoot?  You can borrow mine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
3 Gun at ASC?

I never thought I'd see the day.....

What's next?  SMG match?

Good work whoever was involved in organizing!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
3 Gun at ASC?

I never thought I'd see the day.....

What's next?  SMG match?

Good work whoever was involved in organizing!
View Quote

When come back bring G19.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

3 Gun at ASC?

I never thought I'd see the day...

What's next?  SMG match?

View Quote

NFA day

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most competitions are set up so that 8 is the maximum number of rounds that can to be fired from any position without needing to move.

If you reload on the move, and don't run your gun dry, you won't waste any time reloading.

I have seen folks run 30 round pistol mags dry and look surprised despite knowing the required round count well in advance.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Forgive me because I'm new at this... but 1 run through the course will require that much ammo?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I REALLY appreciate the offer Matt but I'm nowhere near ready. I'm saving up for an optic for my AR so I can get some range time behind it and then I can start to finish my chest rig. Pistol wise I'd probably run my SR9c unless I buy some full size pistol before fair weather next year, but that's unlikely.

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you reload on the move, and don't run your gun dry, you won't waste any time reloading.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, this.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Just a reminder this is next Sunday. Sign in is at 8:30 AM, shooting begins at 9:00 AM.

You will need mag capacity to carry 70 rifle rounds and 20 shotgun shells for one stage and around 70 pistol rounds for the second stage.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Are spectators allowed ? Would like to see what I might be getting into
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Are spectators allowed ? Would like to see what I might be getting into
View Quote

Absolutely.

The match is described as "relatively beginner-friendly, but the experienced shooters will still face some challenges". You should run the course, it will be fun. I know of one guy running it with a Springfield M1a and a Delta Elite, so it's not like everyone will be shooting race guns and such.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Cohiba....this was my experience at my second type of match ever, and first time at a 3 gun match....and first time ever shooting a shotgun.

It is not critical to be perfect as you can see by my performance.  Sure some guys are badass, and between them they are competing with each other.  To me currently though, I dont care about my time or, in this case, even finishing the match  Its about learning the ropes, and later Ill worry about how fast I can go.

Dont be nervous about it(I was the first time) but its pretty easy, just let the guys in charge know that your a beginner, so if you make mistakes there is some leniency.  I made a few mistakes(where I pointed the muzzle when I was unloaded) because there is so much new stuff to think about.  Mistakes that I would never make when I was at the range just shooting at targets.  But I was quickly made aware of what I was doing, and no one was mad (and I was unloaded) but theyre just mistakes that you dont want to keep making.

Its a completely different experience than just going and shooting at a range though....and MUCH better.  Its worth it, and if you go, plan to participate or you'll be regretting it if you dont.  

One thing I will tell you, practice aiming offhand.  This is not easy if youve never done it.  All you have to do is close the opposite eye, and get used to doing it.  This REALLY threw me off, and its still tough to get used to.

If you have any questions for another newb feel free to PM me.  Hope this video helps.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the insight and posting the video Bender. Will you be coming? Let's post any question in here, no questions are dumb and I'm sure it will be beneficial to others.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight and posting the video Bender. Will you be coming? Let's post any question in here, no questions are dumb and I'm sure it will be beneficial to others.

View Quote

Theres actually a rifle match on the 22nd at metacon I'll be at.  Then on the 23rd I have the CRO meeting at metacon, so I wont be able to attend.  Im sure itll be fun as hell though.  Me personally I'd recommend it to anyone that likes shooting and is physically able to.  Honestly, you wont care about shooting behind a line anymore.

That video was made at metacon FYI.  But I think it shows basically the layout of a 3 gun match.  Should be something similar at andover.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank You John and Bender for the info and video !!! Hopefully I can make it out to see first hand how everything works before making the jump
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Thank You John and Bender for the info and video !!! Hopefully I can make it out to see first hand how everything works before making the jump
View Quote

That would be great, I'll be taking an Arfcom roll call at the end of the week, hopefully we can get a group together.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd love to check this out. I missed the one they did at Rockville fish and game.looks fun, nice video bending .
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'd love to check this out. I missed the one they did at Rockville fish and game.looks fun, nice video bending .
View Quote

More the merrier

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll be there, bringing my brother as well.  Any problems with using an AR pistol as a "rifle" for the match?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'll be there, bringing my brother as well.  Any problems with using an AR pistol as a "rifle" for the match?
View Quote

As long as it shoots rifle rounds, no issues. However keep in mind  there will be rifle targets out to 100 yards and accuracy is stressed over speed.

FWIW, I have a pistol AR as well, but will be using my 14.5".

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I just finished packing up my stuff to go tomorrow.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#31]
The course setup is pretty cool, it should make for a good run!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#32]
What's the address of the club?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#33]
122 Rt. 6, Andover CT. It will be on your right headed Eastbound. Kinda hard to see, look for signs on side of road and metal gate.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The course setup is pretty cool, it should make for a good run!
View Quote

Thanks for your help setting up! Hope you can make it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I almost FO'd. But I'm missing a couple of the required items and my longer range rifle shooting needs some work.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#37]
What's the recommended set up for 3 gun?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

This was my first 3 gun so take with a grain of salt, but I shot a 14.5" AR, Remington 870 and USP .40, and I shot well.

Any semi auto center fire rifle, 12 gauge and 9mm or greater pistol would do fine. Make sure they're guns you have full size mags for though.

I don't see a huge advantage of using a semi auto shotgun unless (Saiga excluded, cause mags are huge) you short stroke the pump gun which I did.

ETA: Here's what I ran today (everybody likes pics)

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This was my first 3 gun so take with a grain of salt, but I shot a 14.5" AR, Remington 870 and USP .40, and I shot well.

Any semi auto center fire rifle, 12 gauge and 9mm or greater pistol would do fine. Make sure they're guns you have full size mags for though.

I don't see a huge advantage of using a semi auto shotgun unless (Saiga excluded, cause mags are huge) you short stroke the pump gun which I did.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/Johnsmyname/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141123_182010_zpsfb92a2a9.jpg

Nice set up, I remember chatting with you for a minute.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/Johnsmyname/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141123_182010_zpsfb92a2a9.jpg

Nice set up, I remember chatting with you for a minute.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

what optic do you have on the ar ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what optic do you have on the ar ?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Gimlet - Which guy were you?

Typhoid - It's an Aimpoint PRO. I really like it, best optic for the money IMO.

ETA: For those who shot the event, they're going to post your scores on the ASC website and email you if you put your info on the score sheet. Also pics are going up as they come in.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I was the guy with the ak.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:22:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

I remember, Romanian with all black furniture right?

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the one,not optimal for three gun but I felt like being different.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yeah, I thought it was badass. Only a few non AR platforms that I saw. There was a Sig 556 and a guy with a 30.06 deer gun.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#46]
JonhsMyName thanks I have no clue what to get , but the aimpoint pro was on my list.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#47]
No problem, I'm in no way an expert on the subject, but happy to share what works for me.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#48]
For anyone interest in pictures or the results I have posted information on the Andover Sportsman's Club website http://andoversportsmansclub.com/news-events/three-gun-shoot

It was a great event with an awesome turnout... I look forward to the next!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top