Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 11:00:43 AM EDT
A friend took a permit class the other day and the instructor told her class some info.

First he told them it's not a good idea to carry in banks and advises against it.

Second he told them if you're somewhere and a school bus full of kids shows up, you are no longer allowed to be there...

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Where was this?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Cabelas, she found it in a groupon and went with a friend.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought you were not able to carry into a bank by law?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Name the instructor

Send note to CTCarry

There are probably some other gems that are passed as truth now too
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't go into a bank without one.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just use the drive thru
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry everywhere. Where can you not carry if not posted clearly? I know about bars and schools...under my search I found the bac of carrying is .11
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I tell everyone I know that says they are going to a class to only go for the "required" training.
Don't get into those types of conversations and ignore the idiots asking them.

Quoted:

Myth.  I do it all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yups.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I carry everywhere. Where can you not carry if not posted clearly? I know about bars and schools...under my search I found the bac of carrying is .11
View Quote

You can carry in a bar.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What state law or statute says you cannot carry in a bar?

Actually see Sec. 53-206d for the full statute on carrying a firearm while under the influence. The statute indicates; a "ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight".

Here is a listing of places (may not be complete) where various laws/statutes indicate one cannot carry from CT Carry:

Does my permit to carry pistols and revolvers permit me to carry a handgun anywhere, anytime?

No. The locations where a person may NOT carry a weapon are not listed in any central location and require a complete understanding of the law.

Connecticut General Statutes Section 29-28 (e), provides the right for private citizens and businesses to prohibit firearms on their property or in their businesses, and this same clause is currently interpreted to allow government buildings to prohibit firearms inside of them as well.

Some of the places where you may not specifically carry a firearm:
• A school [1]
• A courthouse (by Judicial Decree)
• A 'state worksite' if you are a state employee [2]
• Any legislative building or where legislative offices exist [3]
• Federal Courthouses [4]
• Federal Buildings [4]
• Any Building Owed, Leased or Rented by the Federal Government. [4]
• Federal Prisons [4]
• U.S. Army Corps of Engineers property [5]
• National Cemeteries [6]
• Military Bases [4] [7]
• Offices rented by the Federal Government [4]
• Post Office (Includes Post Office owned parking lots or any other Postal property) [ 8]
• Bureau of Land Management buildings [4]
• Indian Reservations [9]
• State of Connecticut Parks and Forests [10]

[1]: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap952.htm#Sec53a-217b.htm

[2]: http://www.ct.gov/opm/LIB/opm/OLR/Notices/exc16.pdf

[3]: http://cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap016.htm#Sec2-1e.htm

[4]: 18 USC § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

[5]: US Army Corps of Engineers Rules and Regulations Pamphlet

[6]: CFR Title 38 - PART 1 - 1.218 (a) (13)

[7]: Check at each Military Post for specific rules on Shooting Clubs.

[ 8]: 39 CFR 232.1(I)

[9]: Carry on Indian property is controlled by Tribal Law.

[10]: http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/regulations/23/23-4-1through5.pdf Note: According to DEP, a person may legally possess a handgun in a state park or forest when carrying the handgun (no larger than .22 caliber) exclusively for hunting small game (e.g., rabbits, squirrels) or other authorized activities, such as for use at a firearms range or participation in a hunter education class. See this Office of Legal Research document for more information.

National Parks/National Wildlife Refuges: As of February 22, 2010 it is legal to carry on Federal National Park and National Wildlife Refuge lands provided one can legally carry in that state. Note however that some National Monuments require the user to pass through a federal building and possibly through a security checkpoint. In these cases, weapons are prohibited in the federal building and will be confiscated at National Park/National Monument security checkpoints. A few examples of National/State Monuments with security checkpoints: NYC 9/11/Ground Zero Memorial, Liberty Island (Statue of Liberty), Ellis Island.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Name the instructor

Send note to CTCarry

There are probably some other gems that are passed as truth now too
View Quote

Agreed 100%.  It is important to publicly "out" instructors passing bullshit information.  Name?

Additionally (not instead of publicly "outing" the instructor) he/she should be reported to Cabela's.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

x100

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Send a letter or email to the NRA with details of what happened, the persons name, and NRA instructor number.

They will contact the person and remind them of what is correct. If it happens again, they'll likely get their instructors license revoked.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
The durp at Rockville is very high.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The prohibition on carrying on school grounds in 53a-217 also extends to school sponsored activities in addition to the property. 10-233a(h) defines a school sponsored activity to mean "any activity sponsored, recognized or authorized by a board of education and includes activities conducted on or off school property."  Things like field trips, school athletic team practices and competitions, proms/ dances/ ceremonies, (and many others)... all fall under that umbrella. Given the breadth of a wording,  it is hard to say how it would be applied in a situation that was not obvious, especially if the individual were not a participant. Obviously, something like an football game or prom would be off limits, as it would be for a parent or community volunteer helping supervise a field trip in the community. However, there are many other situations that are not clear, for example the effect that the presence of a work-study transition programming student on a business establishment (and the question of if/ how that might  different individuals who are present, or similarly the effect that would be had on people who were not part of the activity who may happen to be present if students on a field trip happened to enter a venue (like a retail store or restaurant)- and how even that could be further complicated by extraneous circumstances (many stops at restaurants or retail locations may not be planned with the entity, though they were sanctioned by the BOE via administrative approval- though some such visits are coordinated with establishments). I would not be quick to tar and feather anybody who recommends against remaining present in a questionable situation. I wouldn't. That said, the instructor would have been better to simply have said that the prohibition extends not only to the property but to school sponsored activities, and perhaps given a brief mention of what that term means- leaving it to the student to further figure out how that might apply to him/ her.

Saying that it is inherently illegal to carry in a "bar" is factually incorrect and disingenuous.  In many instances, carrying in a bar may not reflect mature judgement really is not advisable, but that is a lot different than being criminal, which it would not be unless the property owner/ controller prohibited carry (or the individual carry was (1) carrying a loaded firearm and (2) was intoxicated in the manner described). It would be prudent to advise students to use mature judgement and to reinforce the alcohol and guns don't mix (because of the effect of alcohol on motor skills and cognitive function/ decision making)

Same with anywhere else not prohibited by a specific statute- be aware for postings/prohibitions (which carry felony criminal penalties), use mature judgement, and don't cause alarm.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How else can you make a withdrawal?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#19]
...like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.

Don't worry about it. I had a guy turn the lights off at an indoor range to simulate "home defense"...lol  NRA Basic Pistol.

I put the NRA doctrine out and then say the class is over, at this point I'll try to answer any questions you have, but you're getting opinion...don't take my for it.

There's "legal" and "best practice". You need to know both in the event you have an unexpected "issue" and the maturity to stick with "best practice".
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Don't worry about it. I had a guy turn the lights off at an indoor range to simulate "home defense"...lol  NRA Basic Pistol.

I put the NRA doctrine out and then say the class is over, at this point I'll try to answer any questions you have, but you're getting opinion...don't take my for it.

There's "legal" and "best practice". You need to know both in the event you have an unexpected "issue" and the maturity to stick with "best practice".
View Quote

This is a good point.

You will get a lot of bad advice in the gun-world.

If they get through their permit class with good info, nothing will save them from getting plenty of dumb advice every time the person enters a gun store, visits a forum, or talks to their "gun buddies" or family.   I do my best to tackle in-progress sales when I visit gun stores, and play my role as a Glock-evangeleist to save the poor sap from the derp of buying a dumb gun.   To-date, I've sold over 40 Glocks, and I've never have been on the payroll of a single gun store.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So over 40 people have taken your dumb advice and gotten a Glock?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good point.

If they get through their permit class with good info, nothing will save them from getting plenty of dumb advice every time the person enters a gun store, visits a forum, or talks to their "gun buddies" or family.   I do my best to tackle in-progress sales when I visit gun stores, and play my role as a Glock-evangeleist to save the poor sap from the derp of buying a dumb gun.   To-date, I've sold over 40 Glocks, and I've never have been on the payroll of a single gun store.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a good point.

:/
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool, I was misinformed. Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is a good point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good point.

Yeah, like how to set up a range in your condo...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good point.

Gastonhardcore
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is a good point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good point.

Very true. Even knowledgeable people give bad advice from time to time. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

A good instructor will be upfront and distinguish between their opinion and what the exact wording of the law is. A good instructor will refrain from giving their opinion as fact and will point their students to places where they can find the actual wording of the law. In my pistol class a number of years ago the instructor stated that open carry wasn't illegal but in their opinion wasn't a wise course of action (at that time) due to police views on it. That if you did so (back then) don't be surprised to be stopped, detained and questioned.

Bad instructors however should be called out since the information they spread could potentially land someone in jail or lead the student to bodily harm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top