Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2014 11:13:25 PM EDT
If one owns a.stripped lower can an AR pistol be built legally? This lower has never been built. I was thinking a pistol with Sig brace would be fun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes one can build said lower.

As long as the lower I registered in CT and has never been a rifle you're GTG.

Edit: FWIW the Sig brace is $125 and SBR stamp is $200, just sayin.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I know E-file form ones are down to a month, but if I'm building on a pre-ban I'd need to register it as an AW. How long is the wait for a certificate if we want to register a pre-ban? I know people are still waiting on their stuff from forever ago. Or should I wait till the ATF gets things straight with CT.        

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't travel in or out of the state with a loaded "rifle" in the vehicle and when you travel out of state you need to let them know where your going etc. which I'm sure you know that.  Pistol is a way better option for a truck gun if that's what he's thinking to do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#4]
We can have AR pistols now?

If I have a stripped lower (not marked "pistol") registered with the state, I can build it into an AR pistol?

I thought we couldn't because of the weight issue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can't travel in or out of the state with a loaded "rifle" in the vehicle and when you travel out of state you need to let them know where your going etc. which I'm sure you know that.  Pistol is a way better option for a truck gun if that's what he's thinking to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

um

that won't work either
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The lower is registered. Why would I need an NFA stamp to build a pistol? Since it is a pistol the barrel has to be short.

I have no desire to drive around with this in my car. Just thought it would be a fun toy to have.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The lower is registered. Why would I need an NFA stamp to build a pistol? Since it is a pistol the barrel has to be short.

I have no desire to drive around with this in my car. Just thought it would be a fun toy to have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's saying - for $75 more you can build an SBR. (ETA: Except that you spend your stock (brace) money on a stamp, and still have to buy a stock. So for 200 more dollars (+/-), you could SBR it.)

I just finished my pistol build with a SigBrace and I'm very happy with the final product. People can call it gimmicky all they want, it's just an ugly stock.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Found my Sig Brace on eBay for 100 bucks shipped love the brace but will be SBR'ing it soon
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Found my Sig Brace on eBay for 100 bucks shipped love the brace but will be SBR'ing it soon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got mine in the EE for $100, too.

Ill SBR it down the road some day. But Im calling it project complete and moving on to the next one for now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
A couple things being missed here.

Even if the lower hasn't been built into a rifle yet, what was it registered/transferred as? Rifle, pistol, other?

If you SBR it, under CT law, the bbl would have to be greater than or equal to 12" or it would be classified as a pistol and you couldn't have the stock on it.

Does the Mako adapter make your Glock an AOW?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
You could always build a firearm with a 14.5" barrel and pistol buffer.  Not a pistol or a rifle according to CT.  Good luck explaining that one when you get arrested though.  It would be over 30" in total length and would not be classified as a pistol or rifle so the AWB would not apply.

*Just keyboard knowledge, good luck to anyone who wants to test this.  In theory this should let us purchase and transfer any lower, but I don't know of any FFL's that are willing as of yet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A couple things being missed here.

Even if the lower hasn't been built into a rifle yet, what was it registered/transferred as? Rifle, pistol, other?

If you SBR it, under CT law, the bbl would have to be greater than or equal to 12" or it would be classified as a pistol and you couldn't have the stock on it.

Does the Mako adapter make your Glock an AOW?
View Quote

Are you trying to say that all SBR's in CT need to have a barrel longer than 12"?  If so, that is not true.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

um

that won't work either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

um

that won't work either

Do you mind showing me the text from public act 13-3 about transporting aw's just for everyone knowledge here as well as knowledge for me regarding this issue? This is the first time for me hearing about transporting them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do you mind showing me the text from public act 13-3 about transporting aw's just for everyone knowledge here as well as knowledge for me regarding this issue? This is the first time for me hearing about transporting them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

um

that won't work either

Id love to, but I can't actually read.

The reason I questioned that was because someone had noted the benefit of carrying a loaded pistol versus a loaded rifle in their car independent of transporting a. AW to an authorized location.  This is a work around in other states like Texas that allow a loaded handgun in the car, but would obviously not be legal on CT due to AW configuration.  The quoted content indicated some confusion with the local laws and hoping to exploit the Texas example here.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you trying to say that all SBR's in CT need to have a barrel longer than 12"?  If so, that is not true.
View Quote

Prove it with fact, not conjecture.

This is not a matter of how it was registered, date of manufacture, ban by name status, etc etc.

From CT Judicial Branch
PISTOL or REVOLVER
A "pistol" or "revolver" is any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches.

I know this issue has been dragged through the mud, and I'm not looking to do that, but in my eyes the definition of a pistol in CT is pretty f*cking cut and dry.

I am all for loopholes and exploiting my rights, but I don't see a way around this. Not even the, "my chief of police signed off".
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is not a matter of how it was registered, date of manufacture, ban by name status, etc etc.

From CT Judicial Branch
PISTOL or REVOLVER
A "pistol" or "revolver" is any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches.

I know this issue has been dragged through the mud, and I'm not looking to do that, but in my eyes the definition of a pistol in CT is pretty f*cking cut and dry.

I am all for loopholes and exploiting my rights, but I don't see a way around this. Not even the, "my chief of police signed off".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From CT Judicial Branch
PISTOL or REVOLVER

Im certainly not looking for an argument here, and I certainly dont want to offend you(or come off as an asshole), but I dropped off my 3rd form 1 to my Chief today.  The first two clearly state 10.5" barrels, and this one states 11.5".  What he signs states that what I have on the paperwork is legal for me to have in his jurisdiction.
He is aware of what I have and okay's it.  In my opinion it doesnt get any better than that as proof of what is legal...but again in my opinion I am following the law, and it seems my chief agrees.  As do many other guys and their chiefs...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not arguing, I just speak strongly.

I, also, have a letter, 2 actually, that my CLEO signed off on for -12" bbls.
The very police station which posted that it could take 16 weeks to process fingerprints, specifically for pistol permits. Not until I showed them the law did they change policy.

I have been told by SFLU that I dont need to register a pistol with a threaded barrel.
The very organization which  contradicts themselves on gun laws all the time.

Whether or not you feel CTs definition is clear enough isn't the issue. I'm letting the guy know its a clearly defined situation to have a firearm with a bbl less than 12".
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#19]
The only time the under 12" comes into play is requiring a pistol permit to take it to the range.

I would only put that Mako system on a preban Glock, unless already an AW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top