Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 7:47:48 PM EDT
Does CT, like Washington, happen to have a prohibition against unmarked patrol vehicles?

We should propose a comparable law if not.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
no.

By their definition, a CSP cruiser is "unmarked", when off-duty.  But they will pull you over if you hassle them enough.  Most of the time they just get on the loudspeaker and tell you to quit driving like a D-bag.

CSP, DMV, DEP, and a whole host of other departments have unmarked cars they use for various patrol purposes.  Usually CVPI's or 'burbans, but there have been a bunch of sneaky sneaky cars over the years used to "blend in".

Oddly enough, I don't have a problem with it the practice.  Probably because I don't feel that our highways are punitively patrolled in the first place, unlike states like Ohio and Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Stamford set up a traffic "task force" and got some totally unmarked cars.  They have recently been focusing on "distracted driving" revenue generation.

As I understand it, you can be ticketed if a phone is in your hand or on your lap even if using hands free calling.  It must be on a dash cradle or on the passenger seat.  Yet, I see police driving with phone to ear frequently.  I don't think picking up your phone to change songs (or initiate a hands free call) should be an instant moving violation any more than adjusting the radio station or other dash controls should.

Norwalk:  In Connecticut, the use of a handheld cellular telephone or other electronic device is banned for all drivers and the use of a cellular telephone (handheld and hands-free) is banned for bus drivers. In addition, texting while driving is banned for all drivers and fines are now $150 for the first offense, $300 for the second offense and $500 for a third or subsequent offense.

http://stamford.itsrelevant.com/content/18966/Traffic-Safety-Task-Force-to-Stop-Distracted-Driving

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Branford used to have 2 of them, they don't anymore... I'm pretty sure a lot of people complained. I didn't like them either, police officers are public officials and should be easily intentifiable. They're there to HELP the public not fuckin sneak up on them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stamford set up a traffic "task force" and got some totally unmarked cars.  They have recently been focusing on "distracted driving" revenue generation.

As I understand it, you can be ticketed if a phone is in your hand or on your lap even if using hands free calling.  It must on a dash cradle or on the passenger seat.  Yet, I see police driving with phone to ear frequently.  I don't think picking up your phone to change songs (or initiate a hands free call) should be an instant moving violation any more than adjusting the radio station or other dash controls should.

Norwalk:  In Connecticut, the use of a handheld cellular telephone or other electronic device is banned for all drivers and the use of a cellular telephone (handheld and hands-free) is banned for bus drivers. In addition, texting while driving is banned for all drivers and fines are now $150 for the first offense, $300 for the second offense and $500 for a third or subsequent offense.

http://stamford.itsrelevant.com/content/18966/Traffic-Safety-Task-Force-to-Stop-Distracted-Driving

View Quote

That does seem a bit excessive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#5]
By brother lives in New Britan, saw someone getting pulled over there.  By a minivan.  

Phoenix PD is pretty crazy with the cars they have, the confiscated vehicles are used all the time.  Trucks, cars, minivans, they'll just add some lights to them and go.  Normally used by the drug and gang task forces since blending in is a must.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]
By brother lives in New Britan, saw someone getting pulled over there. By a minivan.
View Quote

New Britain has all sorts of unmarked vehicles that they use for traffic enforcement.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

New Britain has all sorts of unmarked vehicles that they use for traffic enforcement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
By brother lives in New Britan, saw someone getting pulled over there. By a minivan.

Like what?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of unmarked cars, local and State. They seem to like Chargers and SUV's.

OTOH, the newer State Police cruisers have lighting packages that rival a Pink Floyd concert. I have asked a couple of troopers about this, they seem to prefer that everyone know they are out there and visible.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I see cops driving on the phone all the time.  That will never stop.  Also speeding all the time going by me like I'm standing still yet that's ok.  Do as I say not as I do.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see cops driving on the phone all the time.  That will never stop.  Also speeding all the time going by me like I'm standing still yet that's ok.  Do as I say not as I do.  
View Quote

Yup it pisses me off
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup it pisses me off
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup it pisses me off

Sorry kids they are trained professionals. We are mere amateurs. So we must be fined and ticketed to prevent injury to the children.

Funny how in Germany, where many stretches of the Autobahn, have no speed limit the death rate is lower than in USA.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Edit: Double post
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
you can be ticketed if a phone is in your hand or on your lap even if using hands free calling.
View Quote

This

They got me for that once, I was just picking a contact to dial and have it go through the hands free in my car but somehow they saw me do it. I think I only got a warning luckily.

Speaking of unmarked cars coming back from Andover I saw an unmarked Chevy pickup pulling someone over on 84
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Unmarked cars are a great tool for traffic enforcement. People change their driving behavior a lot when they see a marked car.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unmarked cars are a great tool for traffic enforcement. People change their driving behavior a lot when they see a marked car.
View Quote

Isn't prevention more important than punishment? It's nothing more than revenue generation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

So wouldn't marked cars visibly patrolling be effective to address a behavior?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Like what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like what?

Gold Jeep Grand Cherokee from what I've heard......  I hope it's kn 20s at least haha
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If your goal is to only make drivers safer within the radius of a police cruiser then sure.   Traffic enforcement isn't about revenue generation. Most cops give out far more warnings than tickets anyhow. Stopping and addressing unsafe behavior among the few that commit it is far more effective than just driving around a marked unit with no enforcement.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I think in the video above it was determined that the Citizen was full of F*ck and the Washington law clearly states
the statute did in fact not pertain to law enforcement vehicles.
State Police have used every type of vehicle for speed traps and phone enforcement including semi's.
If i'm speeding(which I do) or on the phone (which I'm not) then I hope to get off with a warning or shut up and pay my fine because I'm guilty.
Now on a local note its usually pretty easy to figure out your towns undercover vehicles.
For instance drive around West Hartford on a Friday or Saturday night and the Grey Chevy Equinox with tints
will have somebody pulled over doing a Field Sobriety test.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Saw a black SUV pulling someone over on in New Haven last week. Officer wasn't wearing anything identifying him as NHPD. Shaved head, oakleys, 5.11 pants and a one-size-too-small t-shirt in OD green.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Saw a black SUV pulling someone over on in New Haven last week. Officer wasn't wearing anything identifying him as NHPD. Shaved head, oakleys, 5.11 pants and a one-size-too-small t-shirt in OD green.
View Quote

Screen name of impersonator?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Enfield has always had unmarked vehicles. They change them every so often, like once or twice a year. New trucks to old beat up minivans.

You used to be able to tell by what was parked in the JFK parking lot late at night, sometimes next to a cruiser chatting it up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted: Also speeding all the time going by me like I'm standing still yet that's ok.  Do as I say not as I do.  
View Quote

If a marked police car was going the speed limit, it would turn into a rolling roadblock, like school buses.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If a marked police car was going the speed limit, it would turn into a rolling roadblock, like school buses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Also speeding all the time going by me like I'm standing still yet that's ok.  Do as I say not as I do.  

Hahaha yes!!!  I hate that shit so much.  

I pass cop cars on the highway some times, depends what's going on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does CT, like Washington, happen to have a prohibition against unmarked patrol vehicles?

http://youtu.be/ZaQyiIizgU8
View Quote

I have never seen a MARKED CSP patrol vehicle, except for one.  It kinda sorta looks like their uniform; grey with a royal blue stripe with yellow trim along the side.  I haven't seen it in a few years, though so it might have been experimental.

On the other hand I have seen all sorts of Cadillac escalades, corvettes, motorcycles, and other unmarked patrol vehicles.  This morning I've even seen what looked to be a Chevy sedan.  The only way I knew it was CSP was from the impact grill installed on it, which is as out of place on a Chevy sedan as it gets.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have never seen a MARKED CSP patrol vehicle, except for one.  It kinda sorta looks like their uniform; grey with a royal blue stripe with yellow trim along the side.  I haven't seen it in a few years, though so it might have been experimental.

On the other hand I have seen all sorts of Cadillac escalades, corvettes, motorcycles, and other unmarked patrol vehicles.  This morning I've even seen what looked to be a Chevy sedan.  The only way I knew it was CSP was from the impact grill installed on it, which is as out of place on a Chevy sedan as it gets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/ZaQyiIizgU8

Photo-op/PR/Community Outreach cars.

CSP cruisers are pretty easy to spot and they look pretty good.  There is no reason to add any markings to them.

As far as ID'ing sneaky low-observable vehicles, if you are unsure if they are a cop or not, the lack of a license plate frame and dealer stickers is usually a pretty good dead give away.  You won't see them if you are overtaking traffic at 30mph over the flow, but if you are just punching through a cluster of cars, you can spot them.

But there are always exceptions.......and strategies to snag you.

But there are always exceptions to make the experience......go smoother  just tell the cop that I know djc.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top