Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 11:52:11 AM EDT
Guys

I own two .45 1911 style pistols.  One is an carbon steel Officer's Model, and the other is a Colt 1911 (not A1) made in 1918, and refurbished for WWII.  I have never really liked the way the Officer's model shot, but a few rounds out of the 1911, and anyone can tell why that pistol is so well loved.  I just cannot bring myself to bring the 1911 to the range on a regular basis.

Anyway, I am looking for a full sized 1911A1 style budget shooter.  My first choices are a RIA or ATI made pistol.  They seem to get good reviews.  Any input from the group?

Secondly, I am looking for a 1911 style pistol in .22 for another fun gun.  The GSG or SIG are available with the barrel collar welded on over the threads (at least the GSG) to be CT legal (it is actually called the CA model, but we have leapt ahead in making the state safer).  My only concern are the reports I have heard about the slide stop area wearing badly (since the slide is made of airsoft pistol zinc).

I would love to get the Walther model with the 10 round mags, but I haven't seen any offered with an un-threaded/welded over barrel.

Anyone have any experience with these pistols?  Also, does anyone know of any of these pistols for sale at LGSs?  Another choice might be to pick up a .45 shooter, and a GSG upper conversion kit (if I can find one w/o barrel threads)  Or, perhaps if I can find a pre-ban 1911, it can host a threaded .22 conversion?

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
OOPs, double post!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
RIAs are made in the Philippines on original Colt machines and tooling that were "abandoned" after colt left. I've shot RIAs and they're a great gun, and not just for the money either. Just as good as a Kimber or SA or Colt in my opinion. The minor differences being in fit and finish.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Any reason why you wouldn't look at a Colt 1991A1 for a shooter?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A quick search on Gunbroker shows the average starting price of the Colt at $900.  The same results for a RIA yields prices starting in the $450 range.  PSA has ATIs on closeout for $299, which would result in a sub $400 purchase price OTD.  I already own a real Colt 1911, and see no need to pony up the big bucks for another if the bargain brands hold up, and shoot just as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A quick search on Gunbroker shows the average starting price of the Colt at $900.  The same results for a RIA yields prices starting in the $450 range.  PSA has ATIs on closeout for $299, which would result in a sub $400 purchase price OTD.  I already own a real Colt 1911, and see no need to pony up the big bucks for another if the bargain brands hold up, and shoot just as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, good luck with that

Fuck PSA!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the Walther/Colt 1911 in 22lr.  Great gun, and NGX usually has at least one on the shelf so you can check it out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

LOL, good luck with that

Fuck PSA!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, good luck with that

Fuck PSA!

This about PSA.

I thought I had seen some 1991a1's in the 4-500 range at NGX not too long ago.  They may have been used though.  
Either way your 1911 is a collectible, and I wouldn't shoot it.  Now in my opinion id rather have a proven shooter that is a replica of your collectible, than a knock off that has proven reliability issues....but that's just me.

You pay for what you get....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CDNN

$770 for a carbon steel 1991
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This about PSA.

I thought I had seen some 1991a1's in the 4-500 range at NGX not too long ago.  They may have been used though.  
Either way your 1911 is a collectible, and I wouldn't shoot it.  Now in my opinion id rather have a proven shooter that is a replica of your collectible, than a knock off that has proven reliability issues....but that's just me.

You pay for what you get....
View Quote

I don't want to shoot the 1911 anymore (well, maybe a mag every once and a while since it is not mint), and would have no problem with a gently used Colt under $500.  It is just that I have done a number of internet searches and found very little negative feedback on the RIA or ATI guns.  Most people seem quite pleased with them.  Hence my post looking for feedback.  Can you point out where I can find information that shows there are proven issues with either pistol?  Not being combative, I just haven't run a crossed anything really negative.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard good things about the Ruger, RIA and the new Para 1911s. Just wish the roll mark was not a giant billboard on the RIA.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

CDNN

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CDNN

Well, CDNN has the same self-imposed restrictions on shipping to CT as PSA, except they refuse to ship ANY semi-auto rifle.  So if the general opinion is to blacklist PSA, CDNN deserves the same treatment!

In all honesty, I am looking for a bargain because I have two gun safes full of guns, and would have to lay all my pistols out to get an actual count of how many I have.  That all means I have far more firearms than I can shoot, so I don't want to pay a huge amount for another gun.

I am not looking for a self defense gun, or something to shoot in competition, just a fun shooter.  So, a Pilipino knock-off that functions properly, and is accurate is fine with me.  My Springfield Armory SAR-48 Para was made in Brazil, and has served me quite well as a knock-off of a Belgian FN!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get the Walther/Colt 1911 in 22lr.  Great gun, and NGX usually has at least one on the shelf so you can check it out.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.  Good to hear someone is making a CT legal version, I have been looking all over the internet, and only found the GSG models with the muzzle cap welded on to disable the threads.

I wish I lived a bit farther upstate, where all I could swing by NGX and Hoffman's easier.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, CDNN has the same self-imposed restrictions on shipping to CT as PSA, except they refuse to ship ANY semi-auto rifle.  So if the general opinion is to blacklist PSA, CDNN deserves the same treatment!

In all honesty, I am looking for a bargain because I have two gun safes full of guns, and would have to lay all my pistols out to get an actual count of how many I have.  That all means I have far more firearms than I can shoot, so I don't want to pay a huge amount for another gun.

I am not looking for a self defense gun, or something to shoot in competition, just a fun shooter.  So, a Pilipino knock-off that functions properly, and is accurate is fine with me.  My Springfield Armory SAR-48 Para was made in Brazil, and has served me quite well as a knock-off of a Belgian FN!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CDNN

Basic rock island will be fine then.  Pretty close to the original
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a
Kimber w/adjustable sights
Springfield armory sub compact
Norinco
And a 70' s colt combat commander

I like the 1911's
They do not like hollow points
Glocks and HK's eat anything.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guys

I own two .45 1911 style pistols.  One is an carbon steel Officer's Model, and the other is a Colt 1911 (not A1) made in 1918, and refurbished for WWII.  I have never really liked the way the Officer's model shot, but a few rounds out of the 1911, and anyone can tell why that pistol is so well loved.  I just cannot bring myself to bring the 1911 to the range on a regular basis.

Anyway, I am looking for a full sized 1911A1 style budget shooter.  My first choices are a RIA or ATI made pistol.  They seem to get good reviews.  Any input from the group?

Secondly, I am looking for a 1911 style pistol in .22 for another fun gun.  The GSG or SIG are available with the barrel collar welded on over the threads (at least the GSG) to be CT legal (it is actually called the CA model, but we have leapt ahead in making the state safer).  My only concern are the reports I have heard about the slide stop area wearing badly (since the slide is made of airsoft pistol zinc).

I would love to get the Walther model with the 10 round mags, but I haven't seen any offered with an un-threaded/welded over barrel.

Anyone have any experience with these pistols?  Also, does anyone know of any of these pistols for sale at LGSs?  Another choice might be to pick up a .45 shooter, and a GSG upper conversion kit (if I can find one w/o barrel threads)  Or, perhaps if I can find a pre-ban 1911, it can host a threaded .22 conversion?

View Quote

I have the Chiappa, a GSG (registered assault weapon), and a JAC conversion.

The JAC conversion has generally been very reliable, though I recently did have some problems with it ejecting Federal bulk. (Hopefully I just had a bad box) It is more than accurate enough for plinking/ recreational shooting and defensive training.

The GSG is a surprisingly accurate gun which shoots well and handles great. It seems to be well built. I don't shoot it much, especially since the AWB was passed.

With it's fixed barrel, the Chiappa is surprisingly accurate. The finish is NOT durable, but thankfully it's alloy construction is not susceptible to rust. When I replace its broken hammer spring, mine may go on the market- though I can forsee myself getting stuck sitting on it for a while.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Forgot , I have the gsg as well- didn't include it cause it's a 22, I should have included it cause it take most if not all usgi parts
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I say stay with Colt. If you want a cheaper price, how about a used one. As long as it's not sitting in salt water when you find it, or the slide is not cracked it a good deal.

They are easy to work on. I even re-barreled my last one, gave it a trigger job and it shoots to where I'm pointing. Plus, it always goes bang.

Here is the one I bought and went thru it. I call this my pre-ban assault weapon.......

If you want a 22 how about a conversion kit? This one is a Marvel unit that also threaded, but a Kimber conversion unit is 1/2 the price. They work OK, sometimes they misfeed but for a plinker it's Ok that they fart sometimes.
a plus about the conversion kit is no paperwork..............

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Find yourself a Norinco 1911A1 !!!! Best 300 I ever spent !!!!! No MIM parts and runs everything I throw in her
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I started with a Kimber Pro Shadow 4" bull barrel, aluminum frame and enjoyed it.  Went with a SA WW2 GI Repro 1911 A1 and it was OK, but the sights sucked, trigger sucked, and the beavertail sucked.  Modified it with better/bigger sights, better trigger internals and barrel and new beavertail and thumb safety (kinda like a base Kimber would be or a SA Loaded).  That got me hooked!  Now I have 3 Dan Wesson 1911's, 1 Springfield Range Officer and a Custom built Caspian Recon.  The 1911 points well for me, has a great trigger, incredibly accurate, fits my hand well and I can shoot quickly and accurate with it.  A 1911 GI from 1918 will be a lot different feeling than a modern 1911 with beavertail grip safety, better internals, etc.  My 1911's have also been very reliable across the board with all ammo I have run thru them, even rounds that jammed up my buddies Colts, Kimbers, RIA's, etc.  

RIA are supposed to be pretty good and another to consider for a little more is the STI Spartan series.  Made by RIA, but they use STI parts I guess, so the overall quality/fit/finish is supposed to be a bit better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#20]
mines

Thats a (from right to left) GSA/ati , Kimber, norinco, srpingfield armory and colt combat commander
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the replies!  There are certainly any number of quality 1911s out there that would more than fit my requirements.  However, I am trying to do this on a tight budget, so the closer I can keep it to $500 the better.

I wouldn't mind picking up a conversion kit instead of a whole .22 pistol, especially if I can get a pre-ban host for a threaded .22 barrel, but that is not a requirement as I don't yet own a .22 can.

It appears that an ATI or RIA should do nicely.  It would also be great if I could find a nice used gun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies!  There are certainly any number of quality 1911s out there that would more than fit my requirements.  However, I am trying to do this on a tight budget, so the closer I can keep it to $500 the better.

I wouldn't mind picking up a conversion kit instead of a whole .22 pistol, especially if I can get a pre-ban host for a threaded .22 barrel, but that is not a requirement as I don't yet own a .22 can.

It appears that an ATI or RIA should do nicely.  It would also be great if I could find a nice used gun.
View Quote

i bought my 70's combat commander for $600 back in june of this year. in fact i never paid  more than $600 for any of them
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
mines
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/chivoblanco/IMG_6036_zps44b363b3.jpg

Thats a (from right to left) GSA/ati , Kimber, norinco, srpingfield armory and colt combat commander
View Quote

Nice evil threaded Nork you have there Nutter !!!! I will be doing this soon to my Nork My gunsmith hates how that super China steel eats his tools
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nice evil threaded Nork you have there Nutter !!!! I will be doing this soon to my Nork My gunsmith hates how that super China steel eats his tools
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
mines
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/chivoblanco/IMG_6036_zps44b363b3.jpg

Free dem , freedom all !
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Stop by NGX and see what they have in that's used.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a
Norinco

I like the 1911's
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have a
Norinco

I like the 1911's

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and so far mine has digested Speer Gold Dot with no issues.

As do SIGS.  The Germans know how to make one hell of a warrior gun.  It comes from having so much experience from trying to take over the world every so often, I suppose.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and so far mine has digested Speer Gold Dot with no issues.

As do SIGS.  The Germans know how to make one hell of a warrior gun.  It comes from having so much experience from trying to take over the world every so often, I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a
Norinco

I like the 1911's

That's a Swiss design bro.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a
Norinco

I like the 1911's

Doesn't matter.  Mine has MADE IN W. GERMANY stamped on it.   It means it was made during a time when they were preparing for Soviet tanks rolling over from the East at any time and it was a life or death situation for their weapons to work.  

Nowadays with everything unionized and half the parts subcontracted to Chinese political prisoners, who knows?

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter.  Mine has MADE IN W. GERMANY stamped on it.   It means it was made during a time when they were preparing for Soviet tanks rolling over from the East at any time and it was a life or death situation for their weapons to work.  

Nowadays with everything unionized and half the parts subcontracted to Chinese political prisoners, who knows?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a
Norinco

I like the 1911's

Agree

Old sigs = best sigs

New sigs?  Why bother?

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a sig 220 made in Germany , I like it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top