Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 6:37:47 PM EDT
Thinking of going back to school part time to get an MBA. Work bores the crap out of me these days and I don't see a way to advance my career without an MBA.

Thinking of UCONN. Anyone go there or somewhere in the area for your master's?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking of going back to school part time to get an MBA. Work bores the crap out of me these days and I don't see a way to advance my career without an MBA.

View Quote

Its thoughts like these that Im so glad I  got my college degree, said screw it, and went back to school for a trade  

Cant really help you man, but good luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its thoughts like these that Im so glad I  got my college degree, said screw it, and went back to school for a trade  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I know, education is for faggots, but I'm kind of OK with that after learning all about the Kinsey scale from my feminist sister.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I know, I know, education is for faggots, but I'm kind of OK with that after learning all about the Kinsey scale from my feminist sister.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No no, you misunderstand me, I certainly dont think education is for fags haha.  Its just that for years EVERYONE was told they HAD to go to college.  So EVERYONE HAS a Bachelors degree.  There is nothing special about it.  Just about everyone I know with a four year degree has a job that doesnt require ANY college.  The only way to actually stand out, is to go further(masters, doctor, etc.) Its a shame what college has become.... if you graduate with a BA(which actually takes most people 5 years now, your a dime a dozen, and the "market" is flooded with these graduates.  

So all the power to you to go back and raise yourself above the bar.
All I was saying is that I'm glad I dont have to fight with everyone out there for the "college degree" jobs.  Not many people went into the trades in the last 15-20ish years.....all the kids were told by their parents that college was necessary to do well in life, sadly there are a lot of restaurant workers out there that will be paying off student loans for a VERY long time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]

College is a scam.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
What is it you want to do? Get your CFA or other professional designations.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is it you want to do? Get your CFA or other professional designations.
View Quote

Currently a Web Operations Engineer. Above as high up as I can get for the time being. Might get to manager level in the next couple years, but managers make only a tad more than the Sr. Engineers, though they have a higher bonus potential.

Goal for end of Career is Infrastructure Director or VP (depending on company). Possibly Security as well, but it's a bit riskier since you're the one they throw under the bus when there is a breach (even though it's usually because the higher ups "accept the risk" that Security flags because it's either not a money making priority or because they don't want to fund a project to fix whatever is wrong).

No way I can do full time MBA, but if I space it properly, I can do it part time in about 5 years. 3 is the minimum, but I don't want to be juggling 2-3 classes AND working OT...

Of course, this all depends on whether Foley gets elected or not. I'm not gonna commit $42k for more schooling if Malloy gets re-elected...

My company also pays for it if you're deemed worthy and you get C's or higher.

The idea isn't to just "hop" into a role, but continue to grow professionally at my company whilst furthering my education. When it comes to promotion time 5, 10, 15 years down the road, the advanced degree will put me ahead of my peers.

Right now, it's just me and my wife living in a small place. No kids yet and my health is pretty good. If I don't do something now, I like won't be able to later on in life.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to trade school 30 years ago.  I've done ok, just wish I picked something other than IT, but it was a hot thing back then.  Regular college was never my thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Been in I.T. For 20 years.  Have rarely seen a scenario where an MBA was better than experience, competence and the ability to communicate with both tech and non-tech folks.  Your time might be better spent gaining some tech certs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Entrepreneur instead

Mba can help you depending what you are doing and where you want to go.  Toady is right about CFA.

For example, it would help me.   Not you so much for you unless you go into management and planning.

In your area, I'd keep building skills and specializing and strike out on your own.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Undergrad and MBA UConn 1983.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

College is a scam.

View Quote

Only for people that cant.

You know what they say...those that can do, do.  And those that cant teach.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Been in I.T. For 20 years.  Have rarely seen a scenario where an MBA was better than experience, competence and the ability to communicate with both tech and non-tech folks.  Your time might be better spent gaining some tech certs.
View Quote

I am retired I.T. consultant and you are correct.  Experience at the keyboard and a mind for designing relational databases.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

College is a scam.

TODAY college is a scam.

Back when you graduated 80's, it was still beneficial to get a college degree.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

TODAY college is a scam.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

College is a scam.

TODAY college is a scam.

Yeah...seems like 35 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#15]
UConn still a good choice.  I believe I just read they were just ranked 57 out of 201 national universities in U.S. New and World Report.

Check out the rankings:

http://colleges.findthebest.com/l/736/University-of-Connecticut-UConn
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#16]
A friend went to UNH for his MBA and is pretty pleased with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

TODAY college is a scam.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

College is a scam.

TODAY college is a scam.

It still is beneficial to go to college, provided you go into a program that has in-demand jobs. Don't just got to college to get a degree in "Transsexual Nazi Eskimo Studies with a minor in Biology, studying the mating habits of the Eastern Swahili Barking Spider." Get a degree that teaches you skills that people will actually pay for. I went to HS to learn a trade that put me through college. I'm good at both of  those skill sets, now, but that's mainly because I'm so fuckin' awesome.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Already have them. In ten years, I'd like to not be spending my entire weekend doing Visio diagrams, getting calls at 4am from India because they accidentally fubar'd a prod database, and listen to customers bitch because their network team forget to whitelist our FTP servers.

The only way I am going to be moving up is by furthering my academic education. I've seen firsthand what bad management leads to in the IT world. No one remembers the good decisions, but the bad ones haunt you for the duration of your contract or your hardware's lifecycle. I'd like to be someone who truly understands those challenges and properly addresses them, unlike some of the wandering VP's we've had the last 4 years at my current company.

IT Engineers top out at around $150k. $175k if you're a genius Network Architect and I've seen DBA's get $200k. Directors and VPs - ceiling is much, much higher.

I used to look at the reporting chain above me and think "man I never want THAT job". Well, as every year goes by I am finding that I do want that job (eventually). MBA is the way to get there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quinnipiac has a very good MBA program. The courses are also offered in an online format by the same professors. My wife works in marketing and got her MBA there, she loved it and said she learned a lot that actually helps her in her career

I went to UNH, but it was for my MPA, not MBA so that isn't much help. They have a decent MPA program though
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

TODAY college is a scam.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

College is a scam.

TODAY college is a scam.

For the most part I agree with this statement. However, having our master's degrees greatly contributed to my wife and I getting our jobs so sometimes it works out

ETA: as mentioned above, it's all about studying something useful
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Having a 4 yr college degree is not just about what you learned although a major in something desirable doesn't hurt .  To a perspective employer it says to him/her that you have the fortitude to stick with something tough and to finish what you start despite how difficult the task.  A graduate degree is just icing on that cake especially when it comes to being considered for a promotion.

It cant hurt.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I graduated from university of Colorado and then 15 years later went and got my MBA at UCONN through their executive MBA program.  Very happy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I graduated from university of Colorado and then 15 years later went and got my MBA at UCONN through their executive MBA program.  Very happy.
View Quote

Excellent.  Good for you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

If I had the choice + 1 UCONN executive mba
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup Hartford campus for this is quite nice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you referring to the old seminary on Elizabeth st.? All stone and looks like an old castle or the West Hartford campus on Trout Brook rd.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are you referring to the old seminary on Elizabeth st.? All stone and looks like an old castle or the West Hartford campus on Trout Brook rd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elizabeth street is the law school.

UConn has a graduate business school in downtown Hartford. http://www.business.uconn.edu/cms/p833
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

UConn has a graduate business school in downtown Hartford. http://www.business.uconn.edu/cms/p833
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did a lot of partying in that big field near the law school when I was a kid.  

Of course after the sun went down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about downtown.

I have a strong desire to master a bloomberg  terminal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top