Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 5:38:01 AM EDT
I have 1 hole deep as heck and disappears in the front yard grass. It looks like a tree branch fell and stuck into the grass. It's been there all summer, and now on the rear fence line I find another.

Could it be a snake or chipmunk? Something else?

edit to add there is no mound of dirt nearby. It looks like a spear or tree branch was sticking into the ground.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Snakes and chipmunks both do that. Also, moles.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have chipmunks in the yard.
I don't see mole trails in the yard. I don't know what a vole is. These holes look old, no fresh dirt around. The front yard has a thick grass in the area, under a tree about 15' from the fence line. The back hole is a dry area against the rear fence. Trees in area.
It looks as if someone just poked the ground real deep with a rod or something. It's strange. Maybe I'm targeted by the feds and they are using a super space weapon on me.........
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Most likely chipmunks, they dig holes in my backyard too...everywhere, I think they're still mad at me for using smoke bombs and firecrackers on them last year lol, the little pricks like to eat my seeds in the garden.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see mole trails in the yard. I don't know what a vole is. These holes look old, no fresh dirt around. The front yard has a thick grass in the area, under a tree about 15' from the fence line. The back hole is a dry area against the rear fence. Trees in area.
It looks as if someone just poked the ground real deep with a rod or something. It's strange. Maybe I'm targeted by the feds and they are using a super space weapon on me.........
View Quote

They could be walking it in.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
You have a Chupacabra in your yard.

Could be a variety of different animals. Like others indicated may be chipmunks or something worse like moles. Possibly even a woodchuck/groundhog. Might even be ground bees. You could always throw a trap on the entrance and see what you can capture/kill.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ct doesn't have to many voles . I'd say it was just the boggy man. Better break out the eagle
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Chipmunks do that.  I've seen plenty.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know what a vole is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't know what a vole is.

A vole is a mutant .
It looks like a cross between a mouse and a mole. (Not too cute)
Short, smooth, blue/grey fur. Usually the same size as the average mouse.
During the warmer months, they'll use the mole tunnels and share the same diet.

Quoted:
Ct doesn't have to many voles . I'd say it was just the boggy man. Better break out the eagle

That's probably because I've killed about 20 in the past 3 yrs. They come in the corner of my garage door when it gets cold.

You don't need to see mole tunnels to have them. They burrow their home about 18-24" down. Then, they use the surface tunnels to get roots, worms, grubs and critters. If they can sustain on other food, they won't make tunnels. Their hole will most always have a mound of dirt.

The chippys will male a hole about the same size, but w/o a mound. They don't usually go straight down though.

I usually make some extravagant traps, but they work 99% of the time. The 5gal bucket with water and bird seed works, but can take days. If you know where the hole is, your ahead of the game. Before I suggest a trap, feel free to fill the hole with water, gasoline, baby powder, etc.
This trap should work for anything short of bear.
Get a ~10" piece of 3" PVC or larger. Also, aboit a foot of PVC equal to the diameter of ground hole.
Stand the larger OD PVC upright and cut a hole to insert the smaller PVC into the bottom perpendicularly. Like your making a tobacco pipe.
Cover the "top" of the larger PVC with duct tape or whatever.
Place over hole and put trap right at the end of the smaller pipe.
They'll have no place to go but into your "welcome mat of death".

Or.......
You could place a lawn chair, about 6yds away.
Put a 12 pack in a cooler.
Sit in chair with 12ga and crack a beer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Poor gas in hole
Drink beer
Light hole on fire
Profit?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Chipmunks...soon to followed by fox, coyotes, and feral cats..

ammo up its gonna get wild on your ranch...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I set a 5 gallon bucket upside down over a hole like that with 3 snap traps covered in peanut butter. It took 3 days to catch it (a big mole).I diddnt dispose of it right away and when I returned the mutant zombie mole apparently chewed its appendages off to escape. I believe it is now in an underground layer plotting vengeance and i am scared that it will get me while im sleeping.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#12]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR0sWU1HzTE[/youtube]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Moles make holes like that, but they also dig very shallow tunnels that leaves obvious patterns in your grass. Kinda' like how the old bugs bunny cartoons would show the path he was making while digging around. They're easy to kill with traps and poison. If you have an outdoor cat, they'll disappear quick.

Chipmunks makes a bunch of holes like you describe. Chipmunks are very hard to get rid of. I've annihilated many dozens of those fuckers with my Gammo Varmint Hunter pellet gun, off my back deck. It's fun, but it's like shooting liberals. You an't kill enough of 'em before they're replaced by another.

It's cruel, but of all stupid things, Wrigley's chewing gum kills them. For some reason, chipmunks love that gum. Get a bulk pack at Costco and go around to each hole and drop in 1/4 of a stick of wrigleys gum into the hole, after chewing on it for a few seconds (to soften it and release the scent). The fucker will swallow it and it'll get lodged in their stomach without passing it. They'll die a horrible death, but they'll die.

Hitler approves of this message.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hitler approves of this message.
View Quote

Ok I'd call it chipmunks then. Not moles, as I killed them all off. I got nice traps for them.

I feed the birds year round and I started making friends with the squirrels. Seed and peanuts twice a week in 3 feeders. I'm training the squirrels and I laugh my ass off when I get somewhere. Now I can't tell one apart from the others except that one is fat or that one is missing part of it's tail.

I open the window and I whistle. The ones that come to the patio and sit by the window I feed with bread or corn muffins. They love corn muffins by the way....So I got a real "round" fat squirrel and 2 others that come when I call them. The others must remember me from last year as I was reducing the population some.

I got chipmunks here, several. They run between my legs as I work on the car, they make me jump, those little bastards. They are funny when they shove 3 peanuts in their mouth, each cheek is filled and the third peanut sticks out of the mouth as they run back to the nest near the lawnmower shed.

That explains why my garden sucked this year. Chipmunks and squirrels are helping themselves to people food.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure what critter made the holes, but I found a nest of yellow jackets living in one after it moved out when I mowed my lawn on Saturday.

I got stung four times and had to abandon my 48 until I mixed up a batch of pre-ban insecticide.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Put your garden hose in one end and flood it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top