Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 5:51:34 PM EDT
I am trying to find out what the best (short) barrel length is for 300 Black.  I have read that 11-12" barrels are the sweet spot but shorter would be nice.  I have also read that 300 barrels less than 10" can really beat up your suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your goal? 8"-10" seem to be most popular. After you go past 10.5" or 11" you're probably not gaining anything. I don't know how a shorter barrel would "beat up" a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Ideally, the bullet Shouls extend past the muzzle

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The Internet told me 300blk was designed for 8.5"  I do what the internet tells me. Its usually right.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm running an 8.5" on my 300blk with an SDN6. ACC warranty says you can go down to 7.5" for 5.56 and 300blk.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your goal? 8"-10" seem to be most popular. After you go past 10.5" or 11" you're probably not gaining anything. I don't know how a shorter barrel would "beat up" a suppressor.
View Quote

The goal is:

1.) To maintain accuracy at different ranges (close range-defensive and out to 100 maybe 150 yards).  

2.) Suppressed performance and as short as possible over all length as this will be a pistol build.

3.) Oh yeah and not to cause premature baffle erosion on my can.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm running an 8.5" on my 300blk with an SDN6. ACC warranty says you can go down to 7.5" for 5.56 and 300blk.
View Quote

Thanks, I'd also be running the same can.  I know the "quiet" factor is with subs but do you shoot supers through it while suppressed also?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'd also be running the same can.  I know the "quiet" factor is with subs but do you shoot supers through it while suppressed also?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I run both with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. Supers and subs out of my 8.5". If your really that worried about your can, put a brake on your barrel. It will reduce the chance of eroding your baffels. I've got a flash hider on my blackout but I put a brake on my 556, just in case.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of barrels or uppers are you guys using?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
300BLK can go down to 5" or 6" The round was made for short barrels, that being said AAC recommends 9" being the best Look at some youtube videos with John Hollister from AAC
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Noveske barrel, bcg, and upper. Yhm rail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

With 223 and 556 , most silencer manufactures will not warranty cans on barrels below 10".  I say most because I'm sure there is one who does somewhere.

Anyway, it has to do with bullet stability.  Under 10" the bullet is not stable enough and can bounce off your baffles and wreck the silencer.

All this being said there are plenty of folks who run suppressed pistols under 10" reliably. However the can is no longer under warranty.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say this applies to 300 blk and all rifle rounds

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://www.orl-llc.com/SD_Projects/HK51SD/51kk.jpg
View Quote

I don't know why but that got me good.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

With 223 and 556 , most silencer manufactures will not warranty cans on barrels below 10".  I say most because I'm sure there is one who does somewhere.

Anyway, it has to do with bullet stability.  Under 10" the bullet is not stable enough and can bounce off your baffles and wreck the silencer.

All this being said there are plenty of folks who run suppressed pistols under 10" reliably. However the can is no longer under warranty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Straight from the AAC website:

Centerfire rifle caliber silencers are not warrantied for use on barrels less than 10” in length. 762-SDN-6 and SR7 silencer are warrantied on barrels as short as 7.5” when used with 300 AAC BLACKOUT.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.orl-llc.com/SD_Projects/HK51SD/51kk.jpg

Yeah he's on a fucking roll today

He gots teh bobcats aids
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there any bullet drop at 100 yards with a 9" barrel?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on what load you're shooting, supers vs subs, and what you're zero is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say 100 yard zero with either?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
100 yd zero
Supers, 2" low at 10yds, 0" at 70 yds and 0" at 100 yds
Subs, 1" low at 10 yds, 3" high at 50yds and 0" at 100yds

Much more of a rainbow tragectory with subs is to be expected. These are just ballpark numbers from my ballistic calculator.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Centerfire rifle caliber silencers are not warrantied for use on barrels less than 10” in length. 762-SDN-6 and SR7 silencer are warrantied on barrels as short as 7.5” when used with 300 AAC BLACKOUT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW thats messed up.
Literally a month ago that also said the SDN6 was warrantied on 7.5" barrels shooting 556 as well.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, bullet stability is a given. I wouldn't run a subsonic load out of any short barrel without making sure it was adequately stabilized. I thought he meant there was something unique about barrels <10" that caused more wear, and I'm not sure that's the case.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm currently building around a 9.5" Ballistic Advantage barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top