Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2014 5:15:47 PM EDT
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere before.  Is it o.k. to use your registered 5.56 mags as 30 round 300 Black Out mags?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't see why not.  
Same as registering lowers.... You can put any upper-length, caliber on them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
No fofityaight snocone??

OP so many fails.  

Double mag tax for two caliber usage

Pony up pay Malloy boy
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No fofityaight snocone??

OP so many fails.  

Double mag tax for two caliber usage

Pony up pay Malloy boy
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Has Cav been studying hook'd on phonics again?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Or hanging out in the ghetto?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds moonshiney to me
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has Cav been studying hook'd on phonics again?
View Quote

Urban Haiku

four line posts

watch me

im cool
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or hanging out in the ghetto?
View Quote

Raised in the ghetto

Division st and Winchester ave New Haven

My parents

Bobby Seals and Angel Davis
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere before.  Is it o.k. to use your registered 5.56 mags as 30 round 300 Black Out mags?
View Quote

I don't care whether it's okay or not.  That's exactly what I am going to use mine for. Loading mags with anything else...300 BLK or marbles... doesn't change the fact they are still magazines that can be loaded with 5.56 and nothing in the law says I can't load them with anything else.

Trust me, there isn't a single prosecutor who's going to press charges over something as trivial as this.  If there was, I would be sorely tempted to load my mags with marbles just to force a blatantly retarded court case to trial as a political statement.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a related question... What happens if I design a round which is capable of being loaded into a STANAG magazine yet which takes up slightly less space?

Let's say the case has a smaller diameter than .223 rem.  12 rounds of my new ammo fit into a 10-round .223 magazine. Do all the 10-round magazines in the state now instantly become high-capacity magazines?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
You should ask the question in GD so they can laugh at us about being felons and insist they'll never hire anyone who has committed a felony, even a violation of SB1160 on principle that we're too stupid and lazy to have fought against it and we should just pick up and move, but not to their state because we'll want parks which will raise their taxes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a related question... What happens if I design a round which is capable of being loaded into a STANAG magazine yet which takes up slightly less space?

Let's say the case has a smaller diameter than .223 rem.  12 rounds of my new ammo fit into a 10-round .223 magazine. Do all the 10-round magazines in the state now instantly become high-capacity magazines?
View Quote

I don't see how it woud work on a practical sense.  If the cartridge was any smaller the feeding lips of the mag probably would either not be able to hold the rounds inside the mag, or not be able to feed them into the receiver.  HOWEVER...

This is the problem with the AW ban.  The gun haters wanted a law that let them ban what is "kinda sorta" an assault weapon, but the law can't work that way.  It has to be explicitly be able to define what is legal and what isn't.  That's how they unintentionally wound up legalizing AWs that were made before 1994; the law was chock full of foolishness to begin with so in their attempt to change the foolishness they only wound up putting more foolishness in.

In short, your ten round 5.56 magazine is legally viewed as a ten round 5.56 magazine.  As long as you don't make any changes to the magazine (I.E. put in an adapter that converts it into a hi cap magazine) it will officially remain a ten round 5.56 magazine no matter how many rounds of a different caliber you can fit into it.  The only way they can change that status is if they pass an amendment to the law.  By the same token I'm sure there are people out there who think they're being clever by justifying their unregistered 30 round 5.56 mags as a nine round .458 SOCOM magazine.  Yeah, good luck with that.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You should ask the question in GD so they can laugh at us about being felons and insist they'll never hire anyone who has committed a felony, even a violation of SB1160 on principle that we're too stupid and lazy to have fought against it and we should just pick up and move, but not to their state because we'll want parks which will raise their taxes.
View Quote

All dogs bark in their own yard.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

By the above logic, if the baseplate and follower say .458 then that's what they are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see how it woud work on a practical sense.  If the cartridge was any smaller the feeding lips of the mag probably would either not be able to hold the rounds inside the mag, or not be able to feed them into the receiver.  HOWEVER...

This is the problem with the AW ban.  The gun haters wanted a law that let them ban what is "kinda sorta" an assault weapon, but the law can't work that way.  It has to be explicitly be able to define what is legal and what isn't.  That's how they unintentionally wound up legalizing AWs that were made before 1994; the law was chock full of foolishness to begin with so in their attempt to change the foolishness they only wound up putting more foolishness in.

In short, your ten round 5.56 magazine is legally viewed as a ten round 5.56 magazine.  As long as you don't make any changes to the magazine (I.E. put in an adapter that converts it into a hi cap magazine) it will officially remain a ten round 5.56 magazine no matter how many rounds of a different caliber you can fit into it.  The only way they can change that status is if they pass an amendment to the law.  By the same token I'm sure there are people out there who think they're being clever by justifying their unregistered 30 round 5.56 mags as a nine round .458 SOCOM magazine.  Yeah, good luck with that.

By the above logic, if the baseplate and follower say .458 then that's what they are.

Well that might work as a defense if you are not caught with it loaded with 5.56. You also should probably have a gun capable of firing .458 SOCOM and some ammo.

If I remember right the first offense of non-declared magazines is a $50 fine.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try it and tell us if it works.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#18]
A couple months back I asked SFLU a similar question.

I was going to use 30 carbine mags for 45WinMag.
A 30 rounder will hold about 15 of 45WinMag.
I asked them how they interpret the law. What it is being sold as and/or what you are using it for.
I don't own a 30 carbine so I figure I'd stamp a non-marked floorplate w/ 45WinMag.

SFLU was pretty much clueless.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I asked them how they interpret the law. What it is being sold as and/or what you are using it for.
I don't own a 30 carbine so I figure I'd stamp a non-marked floorplate w/ 45WinMag.

View Quote

15 rounds = still a high capacity mag in the eyes of Reichsfuerer Malloy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Speaking of 5.56 (or .223 for that matter)...

Getting low on the stack for target practice. I don't want to dig into the reserve.

I got pretty well stocked up before and after the shooting and haven't bothered much since. But the boy and I have been going to Wooster quite a bit lately, and burning through the .223 target ammo.

Where's the best source for bulk purchases, nowadays?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
"If I remember right the first offense of non-declared magazines is a $50 fine."

Huh
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot to point out that a 20 round 30 carbine mag holds 10 of the 45WinMag
That, more or less, is what I was aiming for. The 30 round mag is too long for prone anywho
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't see how it woud work on a practical sense.  If the cartridge was any smaller the feeding lips of the mag probably would either not be able to hold the rounds inside the mag, or not be able to feed them into the receiver.
View Quote

And maybe it would be impossible to make anything smaller feed reliably from a typical STANAG-type magazine. I don't know. I just like to further confuse the issue by pointing out that the capacity of a magazine depends on what's being put in the magazine, pretty much like how the capacity of a box depends on what you're putting in the box. .458 SOCOM is a great example. Also, you can use the same magazine in a CZ-82 and a CZ-83, and the capacity differs depending on whether you put 9x18 Makarov or .380 ACP into it. There are probably a lot of magazines out there which could theoretically work well with cartridges that don't exist yet but might someday.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Please note that there is no requirement in the law for the magazine to actually work with the ammunition in it.  Here's the definition_

"(1) "Large capacity magazine" means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition,"

So as long as it can "accept" more than 10 rounds of ammunition, it's an evil "large capacity magazine".  Ever wonder how many rounds of .22 long rifle you could stuff in your 1911 mags?  They don't have to function- just be physically in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top