Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2014 8:32:28 AM EDT
Typically we would go to Woodstock but I've grown a bit tired of that fair.  We were thinking of trying the Goshen fair or Haddam Neck Fair but don't have any experience with either one.    Anyone want to make a recommendation?  We like larger fairs that are nicely crowded with things to see and good ag displays.  Fair Food is also a big draw, too.  We love the local flavor of them all, too.  The Hebron Fair (Sept 4th) will be one we go to because it's got it all, we think.  

Just curious.   Thought I'd bring up the subject since this is the real beginning of fair season.  

Rome
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I always go to Durham and Berlin.   Sometimes 4-Town.

Durham is probably my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The Durham Fair used to be a decent one until they installed the Nazi checkpoint last year and the no firearms allowed postings.  

I now boycott them......  I haven't been to the Big E in at least 7 years (becasue it's always the same crap).
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#3]
im doing woodstock. been doing it for years. hebron is a good fair and has truck pulls.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Other than the firearms check, how does the Durham fair stack up against the others?  I've heard it was quite large, no?

Big E is off my list.  The year they went 'Mardi Gras" was the last time I'd ever go.  What the hell does Marti Gras have to do with New England??? Nuttin.  Dumb and dumber.  Bring back the good 'ol days when each state competed for your attention and fair bucks and had great handouts and very localized foods.  Even the 'better living center" is a pale imitation of what it used to be with too many crappy products being hawked any more.  

This Fall the weather should be really amenable to walking around with a sweater under your arm for the evening.  Should be a great fair season.  

Any suggestions for RI or MA fairs??

Rome
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other than the firearms check, how does the Durham fair stack up against the others?  I've heard it was quite large, no?

Big E is off my list.  The year they went 'Mardi Gras" was the last time I'd ever go.  What the hell does Marti Gras have to do with New England??? Nuttin.  Dumb and dumber.  Bring back the good 'ol days when each state competed for your attention and fair bucks and had great handouts and very localized foods.  Even the 'better living center" is a pale imitation of what it used to be with too many crappy products being hawked any more.  

This Fall the weather should be really amenable to walking around with a sweater under your arm for the evening.  Should be a great fair season.  

Any suggestions for RI or MA fairs??

Rome
View Quote

the fryeburg fair in maine is a really good country new england fair. little far but worth going
http://www.fryeburgfair.org/
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Hebron Fair on Thursday the 4th

Open Carry and Demolition Derby

I agree on the Big E maradi gras thing.  Wtf.  Old ladies go nuts for their stupid beads.   But the people watching is exquisite.  We got tickets got a deal (thanks rerroro!) so we'll go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Why are you guys acting like summer is over.  The next week is going to be the hottest week in the past two months

I'll be on the beach next three weekends
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to Goshen.  You can park at my farm across the street
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why are you guys acting like summer is over.  The next week is going to be the hottest week in the past two months

I'll be on the beach next three weekends
View Quote

tan lines?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you go to the Haddam Fair make sure you know the exact address and exactly where you are going.  There are two streets in that town with the same frikkin name, but located 15-20 minute drive from one another.

I went to a ton of them last year, the oxen pulls are awesome
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Typically we would go to Woodstock but I've grown a bit tired of that fair.  We were thinking of trying the Goshen fair or Haddam Neck Fair but don't have any experience with either one.    Anyone want to make a recommendation?  We like larger fairs that are nicely crowded with things to see and good ag displays.  Fair Food is also a big draw, too.  We love the local flavor of them all, too.  The Hebron Fair (Sept 4th) will be one we go to because it's got it all, we think.  

Just curious.   Thought I'd bring up the subject since this is the real beginning of fair season.  

Rome

If you go to the Haddam Fair make sure you know the exact address and exactly where you are going.  There are two streets in that town with the same frikkin name, but located 15-20 minute drive from one another.

ha ive been to that other road. middle of nowhere
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of farm?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#13]
If you go to the Goshen Fair you can check out Autumn Gun Works  which is 2 seconds from the fair grounds and a nice little shop with reloading supplies. Down the road from the fair grounds is Drop The Hammer gun shop which has a GREAT selection for such a small shop, it is like 5 min away from the fair grounds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Is the Woodstock fair good for kids?

Edit: Pirate LARPing in Enfield Saturday and Sunday at the town green!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is the Woodstock fair good for kids?

Edit: Pirate LARPing in Enfield Saturday and Sunday at the town green!
View Quote

great for kids. tons of little rides,  animals, and old farm equipment  . they have a cow birthing center and sometimes you get to see them actually giving birth. pretty wild . ill be there sunday with my wife and her fam.

may have a keep calm and carry on shirt on
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Haddem neck fair blows..  Well they have a beer trailer...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rome

Come to the Hebron fair with us on Thursday
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#18]
i may do hebron friday.. i have a lot of packing to do... but they do have fried cheesecake
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i may do hebron friday.. i have a lot of packing to do... but they do have fried cheesecake
View Quote

And poutine
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#20]
double gravy
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Durham Fair used to be a decent one until they installed the Nazi checkpoint last year and the no firearms allowed postings.  

I now boycott them......  I haven't been to the Big E in at least 7 years (becasue it's always the same crap).
View Quote

Wait, what????

I haven't been at the Durham fair in several decades.  What do they do these days, have people go through metal detectors and search through their bags like Homeland Security?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#22]
kinda.. just big ole signs saying doing bring your scary guns
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Goshen fair sure sounds like a good one to visit.  We will also hit the Hebron fair like we have during the last few years.  I like to watch the dogs leaping into the pool contest and I'll bring my big aluminum mug to fill with some of that great soda that's offered.  The food selection at the Hebron fair is also really great, if I do say so myself.

Fryeburg Fair is one that's on our list.  We visit Maine a lot but usually much further north of there.   AAMOF we're camping in Acadia last week of September through the first weekend of October.  Going to be chilly but it's one of the most beautiful places on planet earth and very quiet at that time of the year.

Rome
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I go to the Harwinton fair.

It's like a small Berlin or Hebron fair.  They have pretty much everything but on a much smaller scale.  

Easy to park and no shuttle buses.  Also no huge crowds but all the good stuff to eat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been several times to the Goshen fair. Good times. The Bethlehem fair is a little smaller, and the Harwinton fair is tiny.
Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#27]
No check points at the Harwinton fair.  I carried the last two years there.  There are some State Troopers wandering around but once you drive thru the entrance where they collect the cash there are no more gates.  Its all open in a huge field.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What kind of farm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of farm?

Lately, a pretty dormant one but lots of land.  We own most of the land near Autumn Gun Works and up and down route 63 on both sides.  On most weekends, if you are anywhere near the Goshen fair grounds and you hear gunfire, it is probably coming from our farm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]
We do a lot of them on the western portion of CT. Never really venture too further than Hartford for many things.

Goshen's one of the large ones. We go to it every year. Kettle corn, baby piggies and the inevitable hot MILF in high heels trying to walk on the rough terrain are always fun for the family.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I do the Bethlehem fair on Fri night for the car show.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Hebron is probably the best of them, but I haven't been in about 5 years. The only things keeping me away are the drive and some of the redundant layers of costs (the parking on top of admission made it feel a bit high).

I used to go to Berlin every year and then stopped for a few. I went last year and it was OK, but wasn't as impressive as it once was. I may still go again this year. It's something to do and the jumbo doughnuts are fun.

While not technically an ag fair, the Apple Harvest festival in Southington is a lot of fun. I'll definitely do that again this year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Durham fair is pretty good, but long lines to get in.  But I go every year. Going to Haddam neck this weekend, we like it because generally they let you walk around with beer purchased from the beer tents, which is always a plus in my book.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#33]
There are two fairs in Goshen, right?  An "Ag" fair and this one coming up, correct?  They compete with each other?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Hebron Fair and the Big E.

The lady loves the Big E, we never miss it. Sometimes we go twice - its not my favorite thing, but man is life good when she is happy.

Im a big fan of the state houses, even though everything there is identical to the last year. I always go straight to the VT house, shake hands with the brewmaster (if hes there) of Otter Creek and grab two beers. Then its off to find one of those stupid little sticker tents to burn a bunch of cash on corny pro-2A stickers. After that, I just follow the woman around and buy her things she wants and pig out on food.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There are two fairs in Goshen, right?  An "Ag" fair and this one coming up, correct?  They compete with each other?
View Quote

This weekend is the Goshen fair. The fair grounds hosts other events throughout the year, such as the wine festival, car show and other farm activities. The one to go to is this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And poutine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And poutine

Never had poutine, but really want to try it
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The lady loves the Big E, we never miss it. Sometimes we go twice - its not my favorite thing, but man is life good when she is happy.

Im a big fan of the state houses, even though everything there is identical to the last year. I always go straight to the VT house, shake hands with the brewmaster (if hes there) of Otter Creek and grab two beers. Then its off to find one of those stupid little sticker tents to burn a bunch of cash on corny pro-2A stickers. After that, I just follow the woman around and buy her things she wants and pig out on food.

View Quote

I went with Pedrorerro last year.

We had this sandwich thing.   Hot sausage, pulled pork BBQ, and 5hick bacon on a roll

Badass
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No check points at the Harwinton fair.  I carried the last two years there.  There are some State Troopers wandering around but once you drive thru the entrance where they collect the cash there are no more gates.  Its all open in a huge field.
View Quote

I've never even carried at the Durham Fair.  Just the fact that they now have check point Charlie (which is why there is a long ass line) and no hardware allowed signs makes me say frack'em....never again.  

They can take that Gestapo shiz and shove it up their izzzz.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wait, what????

I haven't been at the Durham fair in several decades.  What do they do these days, have people go through metal detectors and search through their bags like Homeland Security?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, what????

Like Bikerman said signs and yes, they were searching through bags last year.  This is why the lines were long as hell.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#40]
How about King Richard's Faire in Carver, MA.

Favorite event:
Weekend 2
“CLEAVAGE CONTEST”  Saturday, September 6th @ 4:00PM
Rain date, Sunday, September 7th

Must be 18 and over

The “Faire Ladies of the Realm” are invited to be daring without baring it all at the King Richard’s Faire Cleavage Contest.

Pre-registration is not required, contestants merely need to line up at the stage shortly before judging begins, and show proof of age.
Prizes will be awarded in three categories:
1. Most authentic 16th century renaissance dress revealing cleavage.
2. Most buxom wench.
3. Most daring neckline.
Winners in each category will receive a pair of complimentary tickets to King Richard’s Faire for another weekend, a rose, a surprise at the end and will be invited to accompany the King and his royal court onto the dais for the 5pm joust.
Authentic 16th century women’s dress often featured bodices with square or rounded necklines, which were always cut across the top of the nipple line, never below this line. Women often wore corsets to smooth the lines of the torso, compressing it into a smooth cone shape. The waist was not overly compressed, and the breasts were flattened, resulting in a high, mounded bust line.
Cleavage Contest Rules:

Minimum Age – The Cleavage Contest is open to all females over the age of 18. Please bring proof of ID.
Cleavage Defined – Cleavage typically refers to the hollow between a woman’s breasts, as defined by the neckline of the garment worn.
Disqualification – Bare breasts, flashing, or topless outfits will not be allowed and will result in immediate disqualification.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lately, a pretty dormant one but lots of land.  We own most of the land near Autumn Gun Works and up and down route 63 on both sides.  On most weekends, if you are anywhere near the Goshen fair grounds and you hear gunfire, it is probably coming from our farm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of farm?

So you're a lead farmer?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We had this sandwich thing.   Hot sausage, pulled pork BBQ, and 5hick bacon on a roll

Badass
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Badass

Some of the best and some of the worst food I have ever seen was there. I will find this thing you speak of this year, I must.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of farm?

Why you no host shoot?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#44]
We're heading for the Goshen Fair shortly from Enfield.  We were going to go back to Woodstock but we need something new and different and we love the area west of Torringington, anyway.  So, I'll be there in one of the brandy new camo hats with my last name embroidered on the back strap that begins with "P".  Pull up my email and you'll know the rest.  If you see me in shorts and blue sneakers, tap me on the shoulder.  Hope there's onion rings there because I'll drive 40 miles for good ones!

Thanks, all, for the inputs.

Rome
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why you no host shoot?
View Quote

Good question!

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got through no problem... however i choose to boycott because last year when we went, we were next in line after waiting 30 mins for tickets and the woman through a sign up in the window CLOSED. Had to wait in ANOTHER 30 min line, then about 5 people after us, they started giving the tickets out for FREE because they met their goal. WTF never again
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of farm?

When is he forum shoot?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How about King Richard's Faire in Carver, MA.

Favorite event:
Weekend 2
“CLEAVAGE CONTEST”  Saturday, September 6th @ 4:00PM
Rain date, Sunday, September 7th

Must be 18 and over

The “Faire Ladies of the Realm” are invited to be daring without baring it all at the King Richard’s Faire Cleavage Contest.

Pre-registration is not required, contestants merely need to line up at the stage shortly before judging begins, and show proof of age.
Prizes will be awarded in three categories:
1. Most authentic 16th century renaissance dress revealing cleavage.
2. Most buxom wench.
3. Most daring neckline.
Winners in each category will receive a pair of complimentary tickets to King Richard’s Faire for another weekend, a rose, a surprise at the end and will be invited to accompany the King and his royal court onto the dais for the 5pm joust.
Authentic 16th century women’s dress often featured bodices with square or rounded necklines, which were always cut across the top of the nipple line, never below this line. Women often wore corsets to smooth the lines of the torso, compressing it into a smooth cone shape. The waist was not overly compressed, and the breasts were flattened, resulting in a high, mounded bust line.
Cleavage Contest Rules:

Minimum Age – The Cleavage Contest is open to all females over the age of 18. Please bring proof of ID.
Cleavage Defined – Cleavage typically refers to the hollow between a woman’s breasts, as defined by the neckline of the garment worn.
Disqualification – Bare breasts, flashing, or topless outfits will not be allowed and will result in immediate disqualification.

View Quote

Pics?

Sounds like a fat women with fat tits contest:

If it's not, ill go

I like plastic tits all the same

But not fatties.

So if it's like Beth from dog the bounty hunter dressed up like A beer maid, I need to know
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We're heading for the Goshen Fair shortly from Enfield.  We were going to go back to Woodstock but we need something new and different and we love the area west of Torringington, anyway.  So, I'll be there in one of the brandy new camo hats with my last name embroidered on the back strap that begins with "P".  Pull up my email and you'll know the rest.  If you see me in shorts and blue sneakers, tap me on the shoulder.  Hope there's onion rings there because I'll drive 40 miles for good ones!

Thanks, all, for the inputs.

Rome
View Quote

Do you know how to get the moonshine at the Goshen fair?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#50]

Damn!  Missed that

Had a great time, however.  The band was really great and the fair food was diverse and very good, actually.  Prices surprised us as being very reasonable, too.  Crowd was busy but manageable and I loved the old engines and the poultry and bovine barns.  We'll go next year for sure.  Spent an hour driving there, two hours there, and an hour home.  We also discovered a garlic farm off of Rt 20 and stocked up on German White garlic as well as a handful of other veggies including some really super leaks.  My wife is scouring recipes for leaks as I type.

Rome
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top