Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2014 5:47:07 PM EDT
I previously thought we had reciprocity with our permits in NH.

The lady and I are going up tomorrow for our 5 year and I decided I would cruise the NH-HTF just to double check. I guess if you want to carry it you have to apply for a non-resident permit using your states permit. Damnit.

Well, Im pissed, but Im glad I double checked. I guess I'll know for next time. . . . I don't know why Im sharing this, just felt like I should.

Hope you're all having a nice weekend.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The lady and I are going up tomorrow for our 5 year and I decided I would cruise the NH-HTF just to double check. I guess if you want to carry it you have to apply for a non-resident permit using your states permit. Damnit.

Well, Im pissed, but Im glad I double checked. I guess I'll know for next time. . . . I don't know why Im sharing this, just felt like I should.

View Quote

Yes you need non- resident permit. The worry is driving through Mass.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
CT has reciprocity with no one.

You'd have to get a Utah permit, which then has a relationship with NH.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

We have "reciprocity" with VT and TX.

I know theres a couple others, too. But those are the only two I know because those are the only ones that have ever been pertinent to me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

While Connecticut does not have reciprocity with any other states, there are a number of states which recognize Connecticut permits.

A Utah permit would not do a non-UT resident any good in NH. NH only reciporically recognizes resident permits from states that they have reciprocity agreements with. A Connecticut resident would need a NH NR permit to carry a concealed, loaded firearm in NH.

Edited to correct omitted word.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NH does not require a permit for open carry (outside of a vehicle). However if a handgun is carried concealed/loaded upon the person OR loaded within a vehicle (on/not on the person, visible or concealed from sight), the carrier must posses a NH Pistol/ Revolver License., which despite the $100 fee (4.x years), is not that hard to obtain

(it's a 4 year permit that expires on your birthday immediately following the 4th anniversary of issue. For example, my initial NH was valid for about 4 years 6 months 9 days. Though I submitted my renewal shortly before the expiry, the NHSP generously waited until the day following expiration to renew me (and mailed it post haste after...I received it like 3 days after) with a 4 year 364 day validity period. )
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know theres a couple others, too. But those are the only two I know because those are the only ones that have ever been pertinent to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one needs a carry permit in Vermont.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
While Connecticut does not have reciprocity with any other states, there are a number of states which recognize Connecticut permits.
A Utah permit would do a non-UT resident any good in NH. NH only reciporically recognizes resident permits from states that they have reciprocity agreements with. A Connecticut resident would need a NH NR permit to carry a concealed, loaded firearm in NH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Utah permit would do a non-UT resident any good in NH. NH only reciporically recognizes resident permits from states that they have reciprocity agreements with. A Connecticut resident would need a NH NR permit to carry a concealed, loaded firearm in NH.

I dunno'... I don't want to argue, but this website says otherwise to me.
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

Unless I'm reading that wrong or things have changed since these sites were created.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As does this one... http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Utah permit would not do  a non-UT resident any good in NH. NH only reciporically recognizes resident permits from states that they have reciprocity agreements with. A Connecticut resident would need a NH NR permit to carry a concealed, loaded firearm in NH.

As does this one... http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

I should have had the not in there. Inserted in purple. That why I included the text underlined above.
The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I will say however, that after looking at those links, I do know that what it says about Florida is not true. You have to get a non-resident permit for Florida and that the Utah permit no longer has reciprocity. So maybe it changed elsewhere too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I will say however, that after looking at those links, I do know that what it says about Florida is not true. You have to get a non-resident permit for Florida and that the Utah permit no longer has reciprocity. So maybe it changed elsewhere too.
View Quote

I'm not sure where the problem is (on the NHSP site). Please explain.  NH only recognizes resident Florida CWFPs, hence why my Florida CWFP is not valid there, even though FL and NH have reciprocity agreements.  Similarly, Florida only recognizes resident permits from NH and the other states which FL has reciprocity agreements with, hence why I as a Connecticut resident needs a Florida CWFP to carry a concealed weapon or firearm in Florida, even though I have a permit from NH which has reciprocity with FL. Similarly, NH only recognizes resident permits issued by Utah regardless of what permits issued by NH that UT may or may not recognize.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm so confused!

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats why I put reciprocity in quotes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:07:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
NH does not require a permit for open carry (outside of a vehicle). However if a handgun is carried concealed/loaded upon the person OR loaded within a vehicle (on/not on the person, visible or concealed from sight), the carrier must posses a NH Pistol/ Revolver License., which despite the $100 fee (4.x years), is not that hard to obtain

(it's a 4 year permit that expires on your birthday immediately following the 4th anniversary of issue. For example, my initial NH was valid for about 4 years 6 months 9 days. Though I submitted my renewal shortly before the expiry, the NHSP generously waited until the day following expiration to renew me (and mailed it post haste after...I received it like 3 days after) with a 364 day validity period. )
View Quote

This is the correct answer for CT residents heading to NH who want to carry there. Just open carry and unload your firearm and store in the trunk when in a vehicle and be done with it while in New Hampshire. No need for a NH or other state permit. As always any other restrictions up there on locations where you can carry do apply while open carrying.

However, on a side note just be careful driving through MA since they can be ball busters on firearms and have in the past ignored FOPA on a few occasions when they catch someone driving through their state with firearms, magazines and ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe you can OC legally w/o a permit. But NH isn't that hard to get. It's been on my list of things to do for a while now. I should probably get off my ass and do it....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No on Texas.   They can't even OC.  We can

Alaska we can

Why is VT so cool?   I want to have their laws minus their fear of suppressors.     I know, I know Bernie Sanders, and Ben & Jerry but VT just smells like freedom.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Zerg

It's fucking New Hampshire.   You are going to pet the dog that will lick you to death, not bite you.

You don't really need a gun there except some areas of Manchester can resemble all the same players as a small Massachusetts city.

I get it that bad shit can happen in isolated places.   Why not look into laws about guns in cars, loaded guns in cars.   Seems that a shotgun might have all the plausible deniability one would desire along with the ability to go anywhere except CCW.

Oh congrats on the 5 year.  Does she shoot?   My wifey could be her shooting buddy if you wanna get her out to my range.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I travel to NH every for family vacation in the mountains. I have a non res NH permit and follow FOPA traveling thru Mass stop at the border going in and leaving that shit hole. NH non res is only $100 for 4 years and is a quick turnaround. I can carry in a car or wherever legal why mess around?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I believe you can OC legally w/o a permit. But NH isn't that hard to get. It's been on my list of things to do for a while now. I should probably get off my ass and do it....
View Quote

Me too. I have property and family in NH and should stop procrastinating and just get this done.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Easy, easy, easy.  I added my NH one to the collection a year and a half ago.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#20]
not to hijack the thread, but I have a non Res, NH carry permit,  how do I legally transport through Mass.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
not to hijack the thread, but I have a non Res, NH carry permit,  how do I legally transport through Mass.
View Quote

Gun on lap,100 miles an hour, no seat belt, pack of Paul Malls rolled up in the sleaves of a white t-shirt, and middle finger waving the whole time. Should take about 40 minutes max.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Gun on lap,100 miles an hour, no seat belt, pack of Paul Malls rolled up in the sleaves of a white t-shirt, and middle finger waving the whole time. Should take about 40 minutes max.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot the can of Bud between the legs!.

Standard equipment on my ski trips.....when I was a lot younger.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gun locked in safe in trunk. Ammo kept separate from gun. Drive very carefully.

If pulled over, don't freaking argue and just accept whatever ticket is given to you. Challenge it later if you wish.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The short answer is you cant....unless you are en-route to a competition or hunting.  If you use the hunting answer you better have a valid hunting permit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The short answer is you cant....unless you are en-route to a competition or hunting.  If you use the hunting answer you better have a valid hunting permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course you can. If you can possess and carry your gun in both your origin and your destination, you are covered by FOPA.

Doesn't mean a masshole cop can't arrest you anyway. But if he is going to, he will regardless of FOPA, hunting permit, etc.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#26]
What tony said on all accounts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MGL 131G is what you are attempting to cite. That section of Mass. law exempts certain non-residents from the requirement to possess an LTC if they meet certain conditions- specifically if such non-resident (1) possesses a valid permit from a US state or subdivision thereof AND such permit is prohibited from being issued to any person convicted of any felony or any drug crime AND (2) the non-resident possessing the aforementioned permit is engaged in or heading en-route to/from a competition or licensed hunting activity in Massachusetts or is traveling through the commonwealth to a competition or licensed hunting activity in another state.

MGL 131G is useless. A Connecticut permit DOES NOT qualify. According to EOPS interpretation, no permit meets the necessary standard.

There are 2 options from transporting through MA. One is to have a non-resident LTC and comply with Mass law. The other is to comply with the provisions of FOPA and attempt to assert it as an affirmative defense to prosecution should you be charged by the Commonwealth.

Actually, let me correct myself. There is a third way. You can also emmulate Aaron Hernandez and do whatever you feel without regard for the law, until eventually get become a guest of the Commonwealth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted: The other is to comply with the provisions of FOPA and attempt to assert it as an affirmative defense to prosecution should you be charged by the Commonwealth.
View Quote

Best to be careful and avoid letting the man in your life in the first place.

Bumper stickers are cute but give very good clues as to what you are likely carrying in your vehicle.

Gadsden flags = Guns
Ron Paul sticker = Guns and Pot

Drive the speed limit, no loud music, etc, when driving through MA or NY.

Personally, I am more worried about the occasions I accidentally find myself in NYC (like when traveling home from PA or NJ). Don't lie, you've all done it at least once.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bumper stickers are cute but give very good clues as to what you are likely carrying in your vehicle.

Gadsden flags = Guns

Personally, I am more worried about the occasions I accidentally find myself in NYC (like when traveling home from PA or NJ). Don't lie, you've all done it at least once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: The other is to comply with the provisions of FOPA and attempt to assert it as an affirmative defense to prosecution should you be charged by the Commonwealth.

Gadsden flags = Guns

What the hell are they gonna bust me for listening to some Reggaeton.d?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Good info guys, you're all awesome. Well, most of you are awesome.

Thanks for the invite matthardcore, I may take you up on that. She has not shot yet, I have been slacking hard (for many reasons, but mostly that I have not previously been confident in my ability to instruct). She is rather pro gun, though, always asking me if I have my gun before we leave for dinner or shopping or whatever. Shes great. Having a female there would be a big moral support to her for sure, and having your experience would be a big moral support for me. Seems like a winning combination to me.

Incase anyone cares:
We had an awesome time. Stayed at the Ashworth by the Sea Hotel right on the beach (Hampton Beach), I threw down the extra hundred bucks without her knowing to get us a front room with a balcony on the third floor over looking the beach. Worth every fucking penny in my opinion, it was incredibly relaxing. We did the boardwalk, kicked around there all Sunday and Sunday night, ate tons of food, soaked in some sun, soaked in some rain, it was a blast. We had done Hampton Beach before, we like the place compared to the CT/RI beaches, but the scene is loud and "young" (were in our twenties but act/feel like were in our 30's), so we went for Sunday and Monday hoping to avoid the whole loud, dumb, drunk scene. It worked for the most part, it was very nice.

Monday (today) we got up and went north to the Kittery Outlets. I was very excited to finally get to the Kittery Trading Post, I'd been reading about it for years but have never been. It was cool, but they think were still stuck in the panic I think. Ammo prices were atrocious, mags for $30+ etc. The selection is awesome, though. It was nice being in a place with racks lined with AR's and the like, a sight for sore eyes. They have a fantastic selection of guns, but thats about the only department they blow Cabelas away in. It was reminiscent of the old Riverview days as far as that selection goes.

40 and 50 Cal ammo cans buy one get one half off, though. Had to get a couple. Tons of deals on clothes and the like, too. I think they beat Cabelas in that sort of area, too. Just good deals to be found all over the place.

One of my highlights from the trip, though, was a special needs kid in a wheelchair who wanted a "I Support Wounded Warriors" baseball cap at Kittery. The dad said no, they couldn't afford it - so when they turned around I picked one up, ran downstairs to pay for it, and then ran back up and gave it to his old man with the receipt. The kid was ecstatic and the dad was extremely appreciative. It was awesome.

Once again, though, guys - thank you all for the advice, discussion and information. It is always greatly appreciated. I hope you all had at least half as nice a weekend as I did.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Good move Zerg!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I stayed at the ashworth a few years back on a vacation it was an awesome hotel and the view was even better. I have always wanted to take a trip back there when I get the chance, it was one of the more relaxing vacations I have been on
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top