Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2014 3:56:42 AM EDT
I've always wondered about m1a prices for used rifles.  They are fairly available (even the ct legal scout squad and socom) for between 1400 and 1500 online.

When I see used ones they inevitably want that much or more.  What gives?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've always wondered about m1a prices for used rifles.  They are fairly available (even the ct legal scout squad and socom) for between 1400 and 1500 online.

When I used ones the inevitably want that much or more.  What gives?
View Quote

Older M1a' s were built with spare usgi parts and barrels- those parts are all gone. New m1a's are built with new parts- not as good. Old m1a's always command a premium
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]
What nutter said.

Pre-ban M1A's are in demand because they were made much better, not because you could hang all sorts of stupid shit off of them in ban states.  It's a seller's market on any M-14 clone.

Post ban M1A's should be a little lower, but this is a somewhat captive market, I'd say $900-$1100 for a lightly used version of any of the more basic guns, up to $1800 for the national match with the krieger barrels, Nm sights and triggers.   The scout squad and so com maybe $ about what you are paying.    I always felt that the spring fields are hideously overpriced but they sell, so there you are.

There are also the Chinese polytechnic clones.  These go for $800-950.  They ARE all Preban.   And often as good, if not better than the springers.   Sometimes the Chinese would fuck up heat treating some parts, but there are plenty of spares on the market that I wouldn't sweat it.

Lastly, Frankfort arsenal makes some serious M-14 clones.   Really nice, and the price reflects it, but not really that much $$$ compared to the higher end spring fields.   They are not something you find in a gun shop typically.  Much like a unicorn, sometimes they just show up.  Meets to order direct from them.

Personally, I like the traditional stock and look the best.  I would personally go with a polytech or older springer for the lower end, and Frankfort if I was looking for a martch gun.  You guys that like to to dress them up like transformers or mechanical insects would probably be after the so com or scout squad whatever.   I think Sardo has the crazy looking sage stock.  And Dempsey has the so com.  

Neat guns.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's mine and my weak attempt at being a photographer.

</a> image by , on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What nutter said.

Pre-ban M1A's are in demand because they were made much better, not because you could hang all sorts of stupid shit off of them in ban states.  It's a seller's market on any M-14 clone.

Post ban M1A's should be a little lower, but this is a somewhat captive market, I'd say $900-$1100 for a lightly used version of any of the more basic guns, up to $1800 for the national match with the krieger barrels, Nm sights and triggers.   The scout squad and so com maybe $ about what you are paying.    I always felt that the spring fields are hideously overpriced but they sell, so there you are.

There are also the Chinese polytechnic clones.  These go for $800-950.  They ARE all Preban.   And often as good, if not better than the springers.   Sometimes the Chinese would fuck up heat treating some parts, but there are plenty of spares on the market that I wouldn't sweat it.

Lastly, Frankfort arsenal makes some serious M-14 clones.   Really nice, and the price reflects it, but not really that much $$$ compared to the higher end spring fields.   They are not something you find in a gun shop typically.  Much like a unicorn, sometimes they just show up.  Meets to order direct from them.

Personally, I like the traditional stock and look the best.  I would personally go with a polytech or older springer for the lower end, and Frankfort if I was looking for a martch gun.  You guys that like to to dress them up like transformers or mechanical insects would probably be after the so com or scout squad whatever.   I think Sardo has the crazy looking sage stock.  And Dempsey has the so com.  

Neat guns.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips.  I can't find Frankfort anywhere.  

But are the current springfields shit?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think they are shit, what do you plan to do with it? They work fine, need to keep them clean. They are upgradable with USGI parts that improve things.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What nutter said.

Neat guns.

It's smith enterprises that does the high end builds not frankford arsenal
I would not buy a new one, I would buy norinco and get usgi bolt and call it a day
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would not buy a new one, I would buy norinco and get usgi bolt and call it a day
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What nutter said.

Neat guns.

Yeah that's right

Was running on 2hrs sleep when I typed that.

They are also Nazi 88'ers

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products20.html
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips.  I remember seeing those poly techs when I was a kid in Montreal....they were going for 350.  

If I see a poly I'll pick it up.  Who locally could check bolt fit or have some in stock/ willing to bring one in.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips.  I remember seeing those poly techs when I was a kid in Montreal....they were going for 350.  

If I see a poly I'll pick it up.  Who locally could check bolt fit or have some in stock/ willing to being one in.
View Quote

Newington gun exchange could or
Maybe Phil in fairfield. I use Phil cause he is close by and very talented. I have never used newington gun exchange
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I see a poly I'll pick it up.  Who locally could check bolt fit or have some in stock/ willing to being one in.
View Quote

Frenchy detected

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think they are shit, what do you plan to do with it? They work fine, need to keep them clean. They are upgradable with USGI parts that improve things.
View Quote

Basically, just shoot it.....I just want to buy one that is 100% reliable out of the box.  Or close to it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Basically, just shoot it.....I just want to buy one that is 100% reliable out of the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically, just shoot it.....I just want to buy one that is 100% reliable out of the box.

Oh boy
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:21:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh boy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh boy

Yeah I know.  Just been burned too many times on crappy guns.  I've become overly sensitized to it now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a SOCOM I need to lose....   PM me and let's talk.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Preban M1As are high demand across the country for the reasons noted above.  You'll be fighting over them with purists all over, not just in regard to date of manufacture in CT.

I've had guys in TN offer cash on the spot for my old Springfield.  Of course, it's TN, so they off half value in cash and half in manual labor.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Preban M1As are high demand across the country for the reasons noted above.  You'll be fighting over them with purists all over, not just in regard to date of manufacture in CT.

I've had guys in TN offer cash on the spot for my old Springfield.  Of course, it's TN, so they off half value in cash and half in manual labor.  
View Quote

So is he going to crop-dust your fields or something?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

People offer everything from chainsaw work to drywall.  It's odd.  

I gave the guy at Midas an M9 in lieu of cash last year.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Shit, I bet I could have an entire house built for me down your way if I just trade all my gun shit hahah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top