Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2014 6:51:59 PM EDT
With a valid CT state permit to carry pistols and revolvers? I am not a student…

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire arms are not legal in "school zones" . My uncle works there and he has told me he can't even keep them in his truck if he has a competition after work
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fire arms are not legal in "school zones" . My uncle works there and he has told me he can't even keep them in his truck if he has a competition after work
View Quote

CT Statute? Pretty sure they are not allowed ... but not illegal ... all they can do is ask you to leave.

Guests to the University of Connecticut’s campus found
carrying a gun will be asked to leave, spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said.
If they aren’t legally entitled to carry a gun, they would be charged
with a crime.

UConn students found with guns are violating
the university’s Student Code of Conduct, and would face sanctions that
can range up to expulsion, she said.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
My recollection is that weapons are not *allowed* at most State facilities; They will ask you to secure it someplace safe, or leave.  Having said that, give the P.D. a call and inquire... I think the number is (860) 486-4800. They wont ask who you are, and you dont have to tell them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the info… another "gun free" victim zone that I am forced to disarm myself when visiting… wtf?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Folks the statutory ban on guns on school grounds does not apply to colleges and universities, it does apply to a public or private elementary or secondary school. See statute below. However, most if not all colleges and universities in CT do ban guns on campus in their "student handbook". If your a student then it applies to you. What happens if as a student your caught with a gun on campus? That's usually spelled out in the student handbook. May be a simple expulsion from campus or they may call the police and let them deal with you. If the campus has a no guns sign then it does carry the weight/force of law and it applies to everyone. The gray area is if your not a student and there isn't any no guns sign. Expect at best to be asked to leave the campus, expect at worst to see a reaction similar to the Dong/UNH event where the campus is locked down and one gets arrested.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_952.htm#sec_53a-217b

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property or at such school-sponsored activity, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person’s employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of such peace officer’s official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.

Edit to add: As mentioned above certain state employees are prohibited from carrying at their place of employment on state property/grounds. Thank Mr. Roland for that.
http://www.ct.gov/opm/lib/opm/olr/wpv/exc16.pdf

And while there are certain select state sites and buildings that are gun free zones by by law, the state colleges and universities are not one of them unless your a state employee.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:22:27 AM EDT
[#8]
You can carry at UCONN

It's probably the safest place in the state unless you are an attractive female.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You can carry at UCONN

It's probably the safest place in the state unless you are an attractive female.
View Quote
Just stay off the rape trail

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I seem to recall seeing a memo from UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz about a year (or 18 months ago) advising,  "Guests to the University of Connecticut’s campus found carrying a gun will be asked to leave. If they aren’t legally entitled to carry a gun, they would be charged with a crime".

I did a quick Google search on the memo in question, as my memory isn't always the best. I did find Reitz quoted in an article from the Norwich Bulletin (1-2013) (Para 8-10) essentially reiterating what was in the memo I read...
Here

Out of curiosity I telephoned the PD... The cop indicated this is the case on all their campuses.

Shrugs... Maybe I misunderstood, but thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can carry at UCONN

Hey asshole, we're trying to reform our image.

It's now the Struggle Cuddle Trail
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Under state law it is legal or should I say it is not illegal,

They leave it up to the school.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Right, UConn is not a "school zone" so one may carry unless otherwise prohibited
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Folks the statutory ban on guns on school grounds does not apply to colleges and universities, it does apply to a public or private elementary or secondary school. See statute below. However, most if not all colleges and universities in CT do ban guns on campus in their "student handbook". If your a student then it applies to you. What happens if as a student your caught with a gun on campus? That's usually spelled out in the student handbook. May be a simple expulsion from campus or they may call the police and let them deal with you. If the campus has a no guns sign then it does carry the weight/force of law and it applies to everyone. The gray area is if your not a student and there isn't any no guns sign. Expect at best to be asked to leave the campus, expect at worst to see a reaction similar to the Dong/UNH event where the campus is locked down and one gets arrested.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_952.htm#sec_53a-217b

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property or at such school-sponsored activity, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person’s employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of such peace officer’s official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.

Right, UConn is not a "school zone" so one may carry unless otherwise prohibited

This is correct.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can carry at UCONN

View Quote

Again correct.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Perfectly legal with a permit. School zones in CT are defined as primary and secondary schools. Colleges are post-secondary schools.

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Perfectly legal with a permit. School zones in CT are defined as primary and secondary schools. Colleges are post-secondary schools.

View Quote

This is correct...^^^^

Unless UConn themselves say no.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is correct...^^^^

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct...^^^^

As indicated above most if not all colleges and universities within CT do have student and employee bans on firearms on campus. If your not a student or an employee and there isn't a "no gun" sign then you should be OK "legally". However in this hyper sensitive age of guns in schools don't be surprised if your proned out by police if someone see's you carrying (ie carry concealed at all times) on school grounds and then tagged with Breach of Peace or Trespass.

The UCONN firearms/weapons policy for students is spelled out in their student code:
http://www.community.uconn.edu/student_code_partiii.html

The UCONN campus residence also lists firearms/ammunition as items not to bring:
http://www.reslife.uconn.edu/items_to_bring.html

There is this commentary from the U dot Conn: Guns: In Storrs Now

And this link where someone asks to carry pocket knives on campus: http://uconn.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Revise-weapons-policy-on-campus/90206-15415
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Unless there are no trespassing signs or you've had a previous warning, you won't be arrested for that. And breach? I'd say you would need to be purposefully causing commotion for that to fit.

CSP said a couple years back that carrying a firearm by itself is not illegal. A lot of times we read news stories about people arrested for breach of peace for open carry, I'd wager there's more to the story in regards to the arrested's behavior.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Unless there are no trespassing signs or you've had a previous warning, you won't be arrested for that. And breach? I'd say you would need to be purposefully causing commotion for that to fit.
View Quote

The point is, it doesn't matter if the charge doesn't fit the action. They will charge you with either one anyhow and let you fight it out in court. As we've seen on numerous occasions the police use the breach of peace charge as sort of a catch all when they cannot find anything else on a person they arrest when that person was otherwise legally carrying. Like I indicated, in this hyper critical state of guns on school campus no way they let you off with even with a warning if they respond to a man with a gun call when they roll out the entire police force and MRAP's to lock down and search the campus. Its a very good bet they will arrest you, tack on a bunch of BS charges, and let you spend your time and money to exonerate yourself. They'll pile on the BS charges in hopes that you'll plead out.

Last thing we need in CT prior to the election in November is another Dong/UNH incident where the media and politicians hyperventilate over guns on school campuses. Not saying don't carry at UCONN, but do so wisely if you choose to do so.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#22]
For reference:
http://www.ct.gov/opm/lib/opm/olr/wpv/exc16.pdf

It doesn't say that you can't even have it in your car, just not into a workplace. Secured in a car should be fine, not that I like to leave mine in my car.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The point is, it doesn't matter if the charge doesn't fit the action. They will charge you with either one anyhow and let you fight it out in court. As we've seen on numerous occasions the police use the breach of peace charge as sort of a catch all when they cannot find anything else on a person they arrest when that person was otherwise legally carrying. Like I indicated, in this hyper critical state of guns on school campus no way they let you off with even with a warning if they respond to a man with a gun call when they roll out the entire police force and MRAP's to lock down and search the campus. Its a very good bet they will arrest you, tack on a bunch of BS charges, and let you spend your time and money to exonerate yourself. They'll pile on the BS charges in hopes that you'll plead out.

Last thing we need in CT prior to the election in November is another Dong/UNH incident where the media and politicians hyperventilate over guns on school campuses. Not saying don't carry at UCONN, but do so wisely if you choose to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh

I carried at  UCONN today.

Still have my dong too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top