Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2014 3:40:37 PM EDT
Coming from Maryland and moving to the great state of Connecticut.

I've been keeping up with the new gun laws in CT as much as possible, while trying to keep up with the new laws here in MD!

Anyway, have a couple questions re: gun ownership.

I have an AR-15 and a YHM sound suppressor (ATF stamped).

Is it safe to assume I won't be able to bring either the AR or the can into CT?

If so, I was planning to store it in a locker here in MD or ship them back to my folks place in Alabama.

Also, I have a couple 9mm handguns and a Remington 870.  These should be OK to bring into CT (minus the pistol mags with > 10 round capacity)?

Sorry if this is the millionth post about this.  Figured, what better folks to ask than the residents of CT!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Bring your upper and can. Buy a preban lower. And you'll be GTG.
Mags, nothing over ten.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone better with words than me will be along shortly. (Nevermind, Im beat.)

Welcome to CT, brother. The more voters on the side of liberty, the better off we all are.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Coming from Maryland and moving to the great state of Connecticut.

I've been keeping up with the new gun laws in CT as much as possible, while trying to keep up with the new laws here in MD!

Anyway, have a couple questions re: gun ownership.

I have an AR-15 and a YHM sound suppressor (ATF stamped).

Is it safe to assume I won't be able to bring either the AR or the can into CT?

If so, I was planning to store it in a locker here in MD or ship them back to my folks place in Alabama.

Also, I have a couple 9mm handguns and a Remington 870.  These should be OK to bring into CT (minus the pistol mags with > 10 round capacity)?

Sorry if this is the millionth post about this.  Figured, what better folks to ask than the residents of CT!
View Quote

The can is ok, the semiautomatic centerfire AR-15 lower is not if it was manufactured post 9/13/94. Any semiautomatic detachable magazine handgun manufactured post 9/13/94 with a threaded barrel capable of accepting a can or flash hider is also a no go. Any firearm manufactured prior to 9/13/94 is considered preban and it legal even though it may still be considered an AW and subject to all the restrictions including where they can be legally possessed and how they get transported between those legal locations. Prebans are only exempt from registration and bans on sales/transfers.

Pump shotguns are not affected by the shotgun portion of the AWB (both the old AWB and the new AWB). However no shotgun can have a tube magazine in excess of 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Much appreciated.

Still debating on leaving the AR and can at my folks place so I can use it when I go to visit.

Nevertheless, looking forward to becoming a resident of CT.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Much appreciated.

Still debating on leaving the AR and can at my folks place so I can use it when I go to visit.

View Quote

What?

Say again
What
We all look forward to leaving!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What?

Say again
What
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much appreciated.

What?

Say again
What

Not all of us.

OP, bring it. Its easy enough to fly with firearms.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What?

Say again
What
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much appreciated.

What?

Say again
What

He is coming from MD

At least he can carry here.

OP apply for your out of state carry permit soon
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You looking for a 4 bdrm 2.5 bath colonial on ~2.6 gorgeous private wooded acres in rural central/NW CT?

I think you are! PM me...

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Get you non-resident pistol permit. Then move here and change the address. Much easier to get than a resident permit.

We want some people to move here. need someone to buy my house when I move in a few years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely looking forward to getting a CCL :-)

Honestly, between MD and CT, the new laws have my head spinning

I'll be moving to the New London Harbor area - otherwise, that place you have sounds real nice!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
You need a pistol permit before you can go out of your house with the pistols. Make sure you read up on it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you military? If so the rules may be a little different.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Will do, thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a civilian.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point. If active duty military you can bring your AWs with you. Standard capacity magazines are good too for military. Reduced capacity are only for civilians.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I figured the only reason to move here was cause Uncle Sam wasn't giving options.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not all of us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much appreciated.

What?

Say again
What

Not all of us.

So do you look forward to staying?
Do you think we can stop the downward spiral?
What  are you drinking? I will drive over to get a cup.
This state is lost, it's unlike a sinking ship where even the rats start to flee, in fact more rats are coming ( no offense meant to op) ! You can't escape the ramifications of the stupid in this state! If you move here, you will eventually regret it if you are a hard working, money earning, gun owning, non believer in the welfare state, conservative thinking, independent minded individual! I urge you to reconsider. Move anywhere but Ct. Half of these guys on this forum want Colt to move out but they welcome you. Think about it. Is it better to suffer with friends or is it just better to not suffer? Move elsewhere, I can assure you, that your moving here will be used by the gun grabbers as a sign that all is well it in Ct. Don't do it! You will be sorry!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll be moving to the New London Harbor area - otherwise, that place you have sounds real nice!
View Quote

Just to be thorough, before you get chewed up by someone up here - you'll be applying for a "Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers", commonly referred to as a "Pistol Permit". There is no CCL, CC is not mandated or specified, OC and CC are both gtg. Its New England, people WILL jump at the opportunity to give you shit and flex their brain muscles.

I think you'll find the New London are nice. Whats bringing you up here? Work I assume?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just to be thorough, before you get chewed up by someone up here - you'll be applying for a "Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers", commonly referred to as a "Pistol Permit". There is no CCL, CC is not mandated or specified, OC and CC are both gtg. Its New England, people WILL jump at the opportunity to give you shit and flex their brain muscles.

I think you'll find the New London are nice. Whats bringing you up here? Work I assume?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, coming up for a job.  The Harbor area was one of the selling points, looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This state is lost, it's unlike a sinking ship where even the rats start to flee, in fact more rats are coming ( no offense meant to op) ! You can't escape the ramifications of the stupid in this state! If you move here, you will eventually regret it if you are a hard working, money earning, gun owning, non believer in the welfare state, conservative thinking, independent minded individual! I urge you to reconsider. Move anywhere but Ct. Half of these guys on this forum want Colt to move out but they welcome you. Think about it. Is it better to suffer with friends or is it just better to not suffer? Move elsewhere, I can assure you, that your moving here will be used by the gun grabbers as a sign that all is well it in Ct. Don't do it! You will be sorry!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much appreciated.

What?

Say again
What

Not all of us.

Well, it can't be any worse than living in MD and working in DC.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much appreciated.

What?

Say again
What

Not all of us.

It can!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah MD is do close to DC it gets stupid just rubbing up against it

Welcome we will be gentle

For a while
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#23]
If you didnt already know, there is paperwork you need to fill out with the ATF for the can. You will need to state the date of the move and wait for the paperwork to come back.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you didnt already know, there is paperwork you need to fill out with the ATF for the can. You will need to state the date of the move and wait for the paperwork to come back.

View Quote

Thanks.

Forgot to ask in the OP, are there any limits on amount/types of ammunition (slugs, hollowpoints; have a large amount of ammo that I'm bringing)?  I couldn't find anything in my searches.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much appreciated.

What?

Say again
What

Not all of us.

Yes, I look forward to staying. I've lived here my whole life, its my fuckin home and Im not giving it up without a fight.

Yes, as certain as I am our patriotic ancestors have stopped it before us. And I assure you, their fight was much more difficult than ours.

Berkshire Bourbon Whiskey - You can't have any. Its for patriots, fighting patriots. Retreat is not met with reward.

Take your defeatist bullshit elsewhere, I don't buy it. "All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing". So do nothing, leave, but don't paint any of us as the idiots. You don't wanna put in the work, don't - I don't care, but I don't wanna hear your excuses either. We've been over this before, I don't give a fuck if you leave. This will be a long fight, it will not be for the weak of heart. Can't hack it? I don't give a fuck, leave. But don't try and project your defeatist ideals on me.

I don't care for your insight on it, but IMHO, this is/was your home, too. You moving is 100% conceding victory to tyranny, you are letting tyranny drive you from your home. You take your guns and votes with you, you may as well shake the libs hands on your way out. That being said - How the fuck you have the gaul to tell someone moving here that he is conceding them a win is, for lack of better words, down right fucking retarded. And I mean that genuinely. Right, don't come here and pitch in for the cause, retreat is so much easier.

I am thankful our ancestors weren't so fucking weak or delusional. Funny thing about being a defeatist, you'll be a defeatist anywhere, you'll always feel your spiraling downwards, its in your nature. It has nothing to do with your landscape or political climate. It's you.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, I look forward to staying. I've lived here my whole life, its my fuckin home and Im not giving it up without a fight.

Yes, as certain as I am our patriotic ancestors have stopped it before us. And I assure you, their fight was much more difficult than ours.

Berkshire Bourbon Whiskey - You can't have any. Its for patriots, fighting patriots. Retreat is not met with reward.

Take your defeatist bullshit elsewhere, I don't buy it. "All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing". So do nothing, leave, but don't paint any of us as the idiots. You don't wanna put in the work, don't - I don't care, but I don't wanna hear your excuses either. We've been over this before, I don't give a fuck if you leave. This will be a long fight, it will not be for the weak of heart. Can't hack it? I don't give a fuck, leave. But don't try and project your defeatist ideals on me.

I don't care for your insight on it, but IMHO, this is/was your home, too. You moving is 100% conceding victory to tyranny, you are letting tyranny drive you from your home. You take your guns and votes with you, you may as well shake the libs hands on your way out. That being said - How the fuck you have the gaul to tell someone moving here that he is conceding them a win is, for lack of better words, down right fucking retarded. And I mean that genuinely. Right, don't come here and pitch in for the cause, retreat is so much easier.

I am thankful our ancestors weren't so fucking weak or delusional. Funny thing about being a defeatist, you'll be a defeatist anywhere, you'll always feel your spiraling downwards, its in your nature. It has nothing to do with your landscape or political climate. It's you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much appreciated.

What?

Say again
What

Not all of us.

Wow
Personal attacks and all carry on!
You do need to learn a bit, I look forward to meeting you
Seriously
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Next time I go shooting you have an invite son!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow OP, really makes you want to come here doesn't it?  (I mean the state AND the CTHTF)

Having lived/worked in the MD/DC area, life is much better up here, believe me.  New London proper is a shithole but like anywhere else, it has nice areas interwoven in it.

I love this state no matter what anyone says and I'm a lifer here for many different reasons.  Are there some fucked up things about this place?  Most definitely.  Expensive?  Eye wateringly so at times.  But every place has issues of their own and running away just places you in a different fucked up situation than the one you left behind.  Anybody who wants to leave, for the love of Christ just do it.  Getting really boring hearing people threatening to do it everyday yet they're still here.

Don't know if you like crab cakes but you should probably give up on those here.  Instead, take up lobster rolls (warm with butter as God intended, not cold with mayo as those heathens in the rest of New England would try to sell you)  Lots of microbreweries.  Hell, we make our own bourbon now!

Get your carry permit (as someone else mentioned, NEVER say CCW permit.  People here get copious amounts of sand in their manginas if you do that)

Welcome to CT.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#29]
We'll that escalated quickly!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Any ammo that isn't billed as "armor piercing" is OK in CT.  The law pretty much reads that it needs to be specially designed as armor piercing ammo- M855 is OK, M2 Armor Piercing is not.  No limits on how much standard ammo you bring in.

Assuming your pistols are normal and don't have magazines outside the trigger guard those are OK, with 10 round magazines.  Can't bring evil more-than-10-round magazines into the state.  

CT is also OK with suppressors (I don't know what ATF paperwork is required, the Class III forums should be able to help), and your 870 is not regulated as it is pump action.  

If your AR-15's lower was made before Sept. 13, 1994, it is preban and legal to bring with you.  If it's not...  as someone mentioned you can bring all the pieces but the lower, buy a preban lower, and put it back together.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey OP don't worry, not everyone in CT is retarded.  Just HTF members

You have to understand, we are living in some interesting times and this is our "clubhouse" of sorts to vent, and we don't get to see too many people coming through here anymore asking about moving TO Connecticut (even because they are being put on Submarines).  The door is always swinging the other way.  These poor guys are like sailors living on a submarine.  All are about to crack, and have resorted to being extremely prison-gay.

Lol, never heard anyone refer to New London "harbor".  It has a waterfront of sorts.  But not really much of a Harbor.  If you are talking about attraction and the "harbor" I would assume that you are either looking at the nicer areas around Fort Trumbull or along Pequot Ave?

As far as New London itself, it is changing for the better.  It has recently attracted scores of homosexuals (a different type of gay thanCTHTF members) who have unlocked the achievement known as gentrification.  They are cleaning the fuck up some of the blighted areas.   But regardless, the City of New London remains a rough and tumble place.

I think it is neat that you found some charm here and welcome you to the state.  I wish it was still 2012, because our gun laws would had seemed like a move to Texas at that point.  They were not that bad prior to last April when we went full retard.   Then again, I wish it was still 1992 or even 2002 and CT was overall more vibrant and not relying on federal handouts and low paying retail jerbs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:44:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

CCL? Time for a teachable moment. We do not have a "CCL" here in CT. What we have is a "license to carry pistols and revolvers". Nowhere on the permit is the word "conceal" mentioned. Nowhere in the state laws does it mandate one "conceal" their pistol or revolver. When you get here please do not call our carry permit a "ccw" or "ccl" permit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:15:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I called it the "harbor" because that's what Google maps had it listed at haha, my mistake.

I'm looking at New London, Groton, or Mystic as a place to take up residence, as long as it's close to the water.

Noted, no CCLs in CT.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Also, good to hear about no ammo restriction. I have a "ton" of M855
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#35]
you fucking idiots

do you like glocks, midgets and dildos?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:05:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

CCL? Time for a teachable moment. We do not have a "CCL" here in CT. What we have is a "license to carry pistols and revolvers". Nowhere on the permit is the word "conceal" mentioned. Nowhere in the state laws does it mandate one "conceal" their pistol or revolver. When you get here please do not call our carry permit a "ccw" or "ccl" permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh... this again.  I have had a CT permit for decades.  Recently got a FL CWL.  I really don't give a shit what anyone calls them.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Since you are moving here, join the CCDL. (Connecticut Citizens Defense League)
It's free and they are one of the organizations fighting the unlawful laws passed on to us.
Also, if you can afford it, donate whatever you can to their litigation fund.
It goes directly to the fees and stuff of the lawsuit pending .
http://www.ccdl.us/

Oh and welcome to CT,
the land of asshats and feel good legislation.....
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Since you are moving here, join the CCDL. (Connecticut Citizens Defense League)
It's free and they are one of the organizations fighting the unlawful laws passed on to us.
Also, if you can afford it, donate whatever you can to their litigation fund.
It goes directly to the fees and stuff of the lawsuit pending .
http://www.ccdl.us/

Oh and welcome to CT,
the land of asshats and feel good legislation.....
View Quote

dont forget CTCarry as well, also free to join

ctcarry
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:28:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks, will join both of those in the near future.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any ammo that isn't billed as "armor piercing" is OK in CT.  The law pretty much reads that it needs to be specially designed as armor piercing ammo- M855 is OK, M2 Armor Piercing is not.  No limits on how much standard ammo you bring in.

Assuming your pistols are normal and don't have magazines outside the trigger guard those are OK, with 10 round magazines.  Can't bring evil more-than-10-round magazines into the state.  

CT is also OK with suppressors (I don't know what ATF paperwork is required, the Class III forums should be able to help), and your 870 is not regulated as it is pump action.  

If your AR-15's lower was made before Sept. 13, 1994, it is preban and legal to bring with you.  If it's not...  as someone mentioned you can bring all the pieces but the lower, buy a preban lower, and put it back together.
View Quote

The prohibition is on importing armor piercing ammunition that can be used in a pistol/revolver. If it can only be used in a long gun, it's bueno.  The ammunition does not need to be specially designed to penetrate any grade of armor. It does not need to be able to penetrate anything. Rather, it simply needs to meet the statutory criteria. Ammunition exempted by the (federal) attorney general (e.g. based on sporting purposes or industrial grounds) is exempt from the definition (which is why SS109/M855 and .30-06 black tip are OK here). i.e. Generally speaking (there are a couple of potential exceptions), if the ammo can be currently manufactured and imported for commercial sale, your good to bring it in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I called it the "harbor" because that's what Google maps had it listed at haha, my mistake.

I'm looking at New London, Groton, or Mystic as a place to take up residence, as long as it's close to the water.

Noted, no CCLs in CT.
View Quote

do not come to new london. dump. . high crime rate, drugs, and bad schools. i live a few towns over. mystic is nice but big bucks. groton is so, so. if you want near the water and nice look anywhere from old saybrook to waterford.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#42]
You can carry as many 10 round clips as you want.  But over ten I a clips is bad unless you are a JBT.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Can we just welcome the dude and give him some info without going all autistic ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can we just welcome the dude and give him some info without going all autistic ?
View Quote

HTF at its finest
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The prohibition is on importing armor piercing ammunition that can be used in a pistol/revolver. If it can only be used in a long gun, it's bueno.  The ammunition does not need to be specially designed to penetrate any grade of armor. It does not need to be able to penetrate anything. Rather, it simply needs to meet the statutory criteria. Ammunition exempted by the (federal) attorney general (e.g. based on sporting purposes or industrial grounds) is exempt from the definition (which is why SS109/M855 and .30-06 black tip are OK here). i.e. Generally speaking (there are a couple of potential exceptions), if the ammo can be currently manufactured and imported for commercial sale, your good to bring it in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to derail the thread, but just in case our future CT resident does have evil bullets- here's the new statute, passed last year.  Armor Piercing Ammunition, Section 53-202l
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

do not come to new london. dump. . high crime rate, drugs, and bad schools. i live a few towns over. mystic is nice but big bucks. groton is so, so. if you want near the water and nice look anywhere from old saybrook to waterford.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted, no CCLs in CT.

You are a defeatist! I drink bourbon , you can't have any. New London is awesome! I love crime and liberals! If you don't like new London, move to bridgeport!
I am going to change this state with my can do attitude
Sorry, I could not resist
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

<edit COC 7 - obnoxious wall of text removed.... please refresh yourself with the Conduct Code... modrapos>

7) Posting topics or discussions that do the site or community harm. More specifically creating topics meant to disrupt the site's day to day management, disrupt member's resources, or disrupt the ability for the site to function normally. This can include but is not limited to excessive quoting (aka "hourglassing" or quoting 5 or more previous posts,) posting overly large photos or numerous GIF animations, and use of repetitive or overly long text strings.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You are a defeatist! I drink bourbon , you can't have any. New London is awesome! I love crime and liberals! If you don't like new London, move to bridgeport!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted, no CCLs in CT.

You like the sailors and the ferrys
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted, no CCLs in CT.

there is a gay bar on bank street.........
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted, no CCLs in CT.

And the glory holes ! Not to mention , me and paulie can finally get married so long as cav gives his blessing. I am going to go have some ether now, and no you can't have any ! It's for patriots!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top