User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@firepolock

And there are some folks who are in purgatory.

I'm becoming increasingly more content by the minute that I did not bring my Norinco home.
View Quote

I'm content I did what I did......

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
WHAT A DOUCHE BAG!  That store has the info on the people who bought Pre bans from them, and if they don't then they seriously need to fire some people.  They want to jack the prices up even higher and cause more panic.
View Quote

Not sure that's why he's doing it....

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@firepolock

I'm becoming increasingly more content by the minute that I did not bring my Norinco home.

At times, I wish I was as bold as you.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, isn't the Bushmaster Auto Rifle different then the Bushmaster XM15? Would have to be because I wouldn't been able to purchase it as a Preban right? So, I don't have to register right?

You know, all this after speaking with Officer Damato. Will be calling in the am.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@firepolock

I became bolder by default.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey, isn't the Bushmaster Auto Rifle different then the Bushmaster XM15? Would have to be because I wouldn't been able to purchase it as a Preban right? So, I don't have to register right?

You know, all this after speaking with Officer Damato. Will be calling in the am.
View Quote

Yes

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Bushmaster Arm Pistol

Bushmaster M17S

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@firepolock

FUD
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WHAT A DOUCHE BAG!  That store has the info on the people who bought Pre bans from them, and if they don't then they seriously need to fire some people.  They want to jack the prices up even higher and cause more panic.
View Quote

I think Scott is just covering his ass, and protecting his reputation.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he's implying people should get rid of them, if he cared about the people who bought them they would have been contacted by the store to offer to buy them back not a public very open ended post.  idk what he's getting at with that but it doesn't make people feel safe, if anything a simple post saying hoffmans would buy any firearms from people looking to lose them before the first with out the hype and what not.  my issue is with it being on facebook where people can freak out and cause misinformation to spread along with his what if statements.  

even worse what if something happens saying you can't buy more.....  then who ever bought one can't ever get another.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

FUD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@firepolock

FUD

Ehhh, I have what the antis hate, an AKR4715

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]
So it's back to Pre 94, that's NOT on the 94 list?
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 3:38:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, the same as things were for the last decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it's back to Pre 94, that's NOT on the 94 list?

Yes, the same as things were for the last decade.

So if prebans were purchased recently, they only need to be registered if they are on the original list.  If not on the list, they stay unregistered?
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 4:33:55 AM EDT
[#14]
220 correct
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#15]

SO....... can I still purchase a pre-'94 manufactured Springfield Armory M1A NM rifle???

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes. The m1a is not on the original list.

But then again I have not seen anything official from DPS or anything on the website.

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But then again I have not seen anything official from DPS or anything on the website.

View Quote

Exactly.  I just left Jojos, they have NOT received any confirmation from DPS. They have been REQUESTED not to sell any prebans until further notice from DPS.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]
So if prebans were purchased recently, they only need to be registered if they are on the original list.  If not on the list, they stay unregistered?
View All Quotes

hopefully someone was able to purchase a galil,FN/FNC or AR70 during the brief period. I missed the part that prebans could be on the original list.  All this time, I was concentrating on M90 instead.

Exactly. I just left Jojos, they have NOT received any confirmation from DPS. They have been REQUESTED not to sell any prebans until further notice from DPS.

that's a big difference compared to the debacle with "AK type" in 02 where storefronts were able to sell whatever was left in their inventory.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  I just left Jojos, they have NOT received any confirmation from DPS. They have been REQUESTED not to sell any prebans until further notice from DPS.

Probably because it is still legal to do so, even if they are named.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif

But they're not.  All prebans have been pulled front the shelf until they get confirmation.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But they're not.  All prebans have been pulled front the shelf until they get confirmation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because it is still legal to do so, even if they are named.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif

No.  It is not illegal.  It is an interpretation.  And a wrong one at that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I think the state wants to use the old list but the law does not read that way. So I think they are conferring with the AG's office to see if they can enforce the old list. If you go by the old list I think you are safe but time is running out for registering. You have exactly one week to get them mailed.

Yesterday I went and had forms notarized for the 3 pre-bans I own. I am looking at them here in my office and am debating on sending them in or not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not happy, my FFL just refused to transfer several firearms I had just purchased prior to this.  Now, I am left to contact the sellers and ask for a refund.
View Quote

Have it transferred to a relative outside the state ... ffls in this state are pussies
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well I think the state wants to use the old list but the law does not read that way. So I think they are conferring with the AG's office to see if they can enforce the old list. If you go by the old list I think you are safe but time is running out for registering. You have exactly one week to get them mailed.

Yesterday I went and had forms notarized for the 3 pre-bans I own. I am looking at them here in my office and am debating on sending them in or not.
View Quote

Yes.  Intent was to expand the original banned by name list, and lower the number of "evil" features.

Because of the rushed bill, they did not write what they had intended.  

Thats THEIR problem.  Not mine.  THEY wrote the damn bill.

I don't think they ever expected pre-bans to be excluded.  That was their oversight as well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Have it transferred to a relative outside the state ... ffls in this state are pussies
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not happy, my FFL just refused to transfer several firearms I had just purchased prior to this.  Now, I am left to contact the sellers and ask for a refund.

ummm.....Let's not get the feds sniffing around here
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Does section 25 "ar type" in the new law cover-capture all pre-ban ar-15?
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's the new law and 53-202m exempts them from the new ban if they were manufactured prior to 9/13/94
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does section 25 "ar type" in the new law cover-capture all pre-ban ar-15?

That's the new law and 53-202m exempts them from the new ban if they were manufactured prior to 9/13/94

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#30]
53-202 is now unconstitutional as well as Pa13-3 and 220 ...  right from the starting block.

These assholes just fucked themselves with the passage of PA13-3 ....

once a court that will follow the law rules I'll be up at the capitol bldg  yelling at the assholes who voted for this law
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#31]
News From Hoffmans

Scott Hoffman
Just in
The “Official Position” of the DESPP SLFU AT THIS TIME is that dealers may continue to sell, lawfully, ANY assault weapon, whether banned by specific name or features, that was manufactured prior to September 13, 1994. The “Official Word” is that this subject will be revisited sometime after the 1st of the year with a possible request for a formal letter of opinion from the AG’s office.
View Quote

Edit:

Oh also...if you get down there now..there is ammo in it for ya

OK, now let the Hoffman's bashing continue...
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#32]
My head is going to explode.  Hopefully the ATF doesn't see that as a destructive device.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My head is going to explode.  Hopefully the ATF doesn't see that as a destructive device.
View Quote

Only is it's over 750kg
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Ehhh, I have what the antis hate, an AKR4715

View Quote

You will be absorbed into the Borg collective ....
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Any new info on this?  I tried calling DESSP this morning and of course nobody answered the phone.  Guessing they are swamped.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I figure in the next several weeks we will begin the learning curve on the Assault Weapon pre-ban lists. I wonder if they will do like NYC and start mailing threats out to the people who failed to register. With Ma-Ma-Malloy I wouldn't put it past him or his buddies.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#37]
This is going to be a wall of text. My apologies, I'll use paragraphs.

So I looked carefully at what the law says exactly this morning. Lets break it down section by section.

I'm not a lawyer, just a regular guy trying to make sense of what these sections say in plain and simple english.

First up the section we all know and love Sec. 11. and see what it says in plain english and break it down:

The words highlighted in red as defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the

following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Notwithstanding (in spite of) any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-

202a to 53-202l, inclusive (covering or including everything), as amended by this act,

shall not be

construed (understood) to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault

weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section

53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1,

2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to

September 13, 1994.

Ok. So what does subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a actually say about defining assault weapons. It says nothing because its been repealed.

Sec. 25. Section 53-202a of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Section 3 has been replaced by subparagraph E which says  Any semiautomatic firearm [not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection] regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following criteria: (and we all know the criteria ie: accepts detachable mag, flash hider,etc.)

Section 4 has been replaced by subparagraph F, (the part or any part designed to convert into an assault weapon, etc.)

the part in red might be confusing to folks. I take it to mean old language in the law superseded by the part in blue

So any semiautomatic firearm meeting known criteria, whether or not its included in subparagraphs (A) to (D), no matter when it was produced.

This leads us to the new question: what's in subparagraphs A through D?

Subparagraph A is the old banned by make/model list

(A) (i) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;
Subparagraph B is the new banned make/model list for rifles

B) Any of the following specified semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such rifles, that were in production prior to or on the effective date of this section: (i) AK-47; (ii) AK-74; (iii) AKM; (iv) AKS-74U; (v) ARM; (vi) MAADI AK47; (vii) MAK90; (viii) MISR; (ix) NHM90 and NHM91; (x) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86S; (xi) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47; (xii) SA 85; (xiii) SA 93; (xiv) VEPR; (xv) WASR-10; (xvi) WUM; (xvii) Rock River Arms LAR-47; (xviii) Vector Arms AK-47; (xix) AR-10; (xx) AR-15; (xxi) Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster ACR Rifles, Bushmaster MOE Rifles; (xxii) Colt Match Target Rifles; (xxiii) Armalite M15; (xxiv) Olympic Arms AR-15, A1, CAR, PCR, K3B, K30R, K16, K48, K8 and K9 Rifles; (xxv) DPMS Tactical Rifles; (xxvi) Smith and Wesson M&P15 Rifles; (xxvii) Rock River Arms LAR-15; (xxviii) Doublestar AR Rifles; (xxix) Barrett REC7; (xxx) Beretta Storm; (xxxi) Calico Liberty 50, 50 Tactical, 100, 100 Tactical, I, I Tactical, II and II Tactical Rifles; (xxxii) Hi-Point Carbine Rifles; (xxxiii) HK-PSG-1; (xxxiv) Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU Rifles, and RFB; (xxxv) Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615; (xxxvi) SAR-8, SAR-4800 and SR9; (xxxvii) SLG 95; (xxxviii) SLR 95 or 96; (xxxix) TNW M230 and M2HB; (xl) Vector Arms UZI; (xli) Galil and Galil Sporter; (xlii) Daewoo AR 100 and AR 110C; (xliii) Fabrique Nationale/FN 308 Match and L1A1 Sporter; (xliv) HK USC; (xlv) IZHMASH Saiga AK; (xlvi) SIG Sauer 551-A1, 556, 516, 716 and M400 Rifles; (xlvii) Valmet M62S, M71S and M78S; (xlviii) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine; and (xlix) Barrett M107A1;
Subparagraph C the new make/model list for pistols, etc.

Putting it all together in plain English,

No provision of the general statutes sections 53-202a through 53-202l amended by the new laws shall be understood to limit the transfer or require the registration of any semiautomatic firearm meeting the known criteria whether or not its listed on any ban list as long as its was manufactured prior to Sept. 13, 1994.

Hope that helps and it wasn't too confusing. Thats my take on it anyway.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm not a lawyer, just a regular guy trying to make sense of what these sections say in plain and simple english.

View Quote

Yes we all are. I think the courts will decide what this law says. If the courts decide against the state the lawmakers will fix their mistake so no semi-autos are legal. After all, it's created to save us from ourselves.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This is going to be a wall of text. My apologies, I'll use paragraphs.

So I looked carefully at what the law says exactly this morning. Lets break it down section by section.

First up the section we all know and love Sec. 11. and see what it says in plain english and break it down:

The words highlighted in red as defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the
following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Notwithstanding (in spite of) any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-
202a to 53-202l, inclusive (covering or including everything), as amended by this act,

shall not be
construed (understood) to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault
weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section
53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1,
2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to
September 13, 1994.

Ok. So what does subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a actually say about defining assault weapons. It says nothing because its been repealed.

Sec. 25. Section 53-202a of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Section 3 has been replaced by subparagraph E which says  Any semiautomatic firearm [not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection] regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following criteria: (and we all know the criteria ie: accepts detachable mag, flash hider,etc.)

Section 4 has been replaced by subparagraph F, (the part or any part designed to convert into an assault weapon, etc.)

the part in red might be confusing to folks. I take it to mean old language in the law superseded by the part in blue

So any semiautomatic firearm meeting known criteria, whether or not its included in subparagraphs (A) to (D), no matter when it was produced.

This leads us to the new question: what's in subparagraphs A through D?

Subparagraph A is the old banned by make/model list
(A) (i) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;
Subparagraph B is the new banned make/model list for rifles

B) Any of the following specified semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such rifles, that were in production prior to or on the effective date of this section: (i) AK-47; (ii) AK-74; (iii) AKM; (iv) AKS-74U; (v) ARM; (vi) MAADI AK47; (vii) MAK90; (viii) MISR; (ix) NHM90 and NHM91; (x) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86S; (xi) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47; (xii) SA 85; (xiii) SA 93; (xiv) VEPR; (xv) WASR-10; (xvi) WUM; (xvii) Rock River Arms LAR-47; (xviii) Vector Arms AK-47; (xix) AR-10; (xx) AR-15; (xxi) Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster ACR Rifles, Bushmaster MOE Rifles; (xxii) Colt Match Target Rifles; (xxiii) Armalite M15; (xxiv) Olympic Arms AR-15, A1, CAR, PCR, K3B, K30R, K16, K48, K8 and K9 Rifles; (xxv) DPMS Tactical Rifles; (xxvi) Smith and Wesson M&P15 Rifles; (xxvii) Rock River Arms LAR-15; (xxviii) Doublestar AR Rifles; (xxix) Barrett REC7; (xxx) Beretta Storm; (xxxi) Calico Liberty 50, 50 Tactical, 100, 100 Tactical, I, I Tactical, II and II Tactical Rifles; (xxxii) Hi-Point Carbine Rifles; (xxxiii) HK-PSG-1; (xxxiv) Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU Rifles, and RFB; (xxxv) Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615; (xxxvi) SAR-8, SAR-4800 and SR9; (xxxvii) SLG 95; (xxxviii) SLR 95 or 96; (xxxix) TNW M230 and M2HB; (xl) Vector Arms UZI; (xli) Galil and Galil Sporter; (xlii) Daewoo AR 100 and AR 110C; (xliii) Fabrique Nationale/FN 308 Match and L1A1 Sporter; (xliv) HK USC; (xlv) IZHMASH Saiga AK; (xlvi) SIG Sauer 551-A1, 556, 516, 716 and M400 Rifles; (xlvii) Valmet M62S, M71S and M78S; (xlviii) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine; and (xlix) Barrett M107A1;
Subparagraph C the new make/model list for pistols, etc.

Putting it all together in plain English,

No provision of the general statutes sections 53-202a through 53-202l amended by the new laws shall be understood to limit the transfer or require the registration of any semiautomatic firearm meeting the known criteria whether or not its listed on any ban list as long as its was manufactured prior to Sept. 13, 1994.

Hope that helps and it wasn't too confusing. Thats my take on it anyway.

View Quote

only problem is you completely ignored the whole "revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013"  doesn't matter if it was repealed, the law is specifically saying to reference the law is it was on jan1 2013.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yes we all are. I think the courts will decide what this law says. If the courts decide against the state the lawmakers will fix their mistake so no semi-autos are legal. After all, it's created to save us from ourselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sec. 25 subparagraph E is the key. The way they worded that made the old ban list null and void.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:41:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
only problem is you completely ignored the whole "revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013"  doesn't matter if it was repealed, the law is specifically saying to reference the law as it was on jan1 2013.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

only problem is you completely ignored the whole "revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013"  doesn't matter if it was repealed, the law is specifically saying to reference the law as it was on jan1 2013.

Good point.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Who ever the asshole lawyer is that put this law into words should give the state back there money and than they should take his license away.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Going to snip most of your post for readability. There are TWO general opinions on the whole "preban" issue post 4/4/13. One is that all prebans even those banned by name under the old law are now legal to buy/transfer and don't have to be registered. This is the SLFU opinion. The other opinion voice by some here, attorney Rachael Baird, and the Office of Legislative Research is that only those prebans not banned by name under the old law can be bought/transferred and don't have to be registered.

As to your claim that 53-202a of the old law being repealed, yes it was. BUT, and this is a HUGE but, the revised section 53-202m specifically states that the exempted firearms must meet the definition for an assault weapon per the law AS IT WAS on January 1, 2013. Therefore even thought the law was repealed and replaced for the purposes of 53-202m the old definition of an assault weapon is still in effect for the purposes of that specific section of law.

The general difference between SLFU's opinion and other's is the text "as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a" of the old law. If one follows the wording of subdivision (3) they'd see that the firearm cannot be listed in subdivision (1) which is the OLD banned by name list.

See the following link for the SLFU explanation of their view:
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/pre-ban_assault_weapons.pdf

Letter from attorney David Clough to Commissioner of Public Safety Reuben Bradford:
http://ccdl.us/blog/uploads/2013/10/Clough2Reuben.pdf
Reply letter from Commissioner of Public Safety Reuben Bradford to attorney David Clough:
http://ccdl.us/blog/uploads/2013/10/Clough-David-PA-13-220.pdf

See the following link for the Office of Legislative Research explanation of their view:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/pdf/2013-R-0453.pdf

See the following link for attorney Rachael Baird legal opinion:
http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/a79af6bb-e571-4f58-9217-56b16882f46e
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I bet after Jan 1 the state offers a new opinion in line with Rachel Baird. Only non listed pre-bans are transferrable. I disagree with her that the state will knock on your door looking to confiscate the named pre-ban you bought. I bet the state grandfathers them but does not allow transfers after a certain date. I guess we can wait and see.

This year I think the legislator will focus on the economy to try and make the Dems appear they are fixing the economic issues we have here.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top