Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 2:31:25 PM EDT
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit has a new page devoted Firearms and Permit Related Forms and Information.
http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=530224&A=4213

Forms and information utilized by the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit:

Public Act 13-3

Public Act 13-220

FAQS - Public Act 13-3 as amended by Public Act 13-220: An Act Concerning Gun Violence and Children's Safety  - Most common questions and answers pertaining to the Act.

PISTOL PERMITS AND FIREARM RELATED CERTIFICATES:

Eligibility Certificate/Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers/Non-Resident Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolers - DPS-799-C

This form is used for 60-Day Temporary Permit issued by your local municipality;
Non-Resident Application for Pistol Permit; Call for a complete packet which includes fingerprint card.
Eligibility Certificate for Purchase of Pistols and Revolvers (not a carry permit);
Eligibility Certificate for Purchase of Long Guns

Effective April 1, 2014 you will be required to have either a pistol permit, eligibility certificate for pistol or revolver or a eligibility certificate for long gun in order to purchase firearms and legal magazines.  Hunting licenses and 14-day waiting periods for long gun purchases will be obsolete.

Permit to Carry Pistol or Revolver Permit

Eligibility Certificate to Purchase a Pistol or Revolver

Eligibility Certificate to Purchase Long Guns

Long Gun Eligibility Certificate Application Packet which includes the  DPS-164-C and DPS-799-C, can be obtained by calling the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at 860-685-8290

Instructions to Applicant (new and renewal of pistol permits and certificates) DPS-769-C

Instructions included for new pistol permits, renewal of pistol permits in person, renewal of pistol permits by mail; security officer pistol permit; bail enforcement agent pistol permit; new and renewal of eligibility certificates for pistol or revolver, new and renewal for long gun eligibility certificate and new and renewal of ammunition certificate.

Magazines and Ammunition

Effective April 1, 2014 you will be required to have either a pistol permit, eligibility certificate for pistol or revolver or a eligibility certificate for long gun in order to purchase firearms and legal magazines.  Hunting licenses and 14-day waiting periods for long gun purchases will be obsolete.

Declaration of Large Capacity Magazine(s) - DESPP-788-C  

You must declare your magazine(s) prior to January 1, 2014.  Any application received after that date will be returned unless post marked on December 31,2013.

Please fill out Declaration and if available, attach copy of original sales receipt describing your purchase prior to effective date of Public Act-13-3 as amended by Public Act 13-220.  If you do not have your original paperwork, you may compose an affidavit/statement, stating that you owned the magazine(s) prior to the effective date of Public Act 13-3 as amended by PA-13-220, and have it notarized prior to mailing to the address on the declaration.  Please make sure that you sign your paperwork in front of the notary.

Application for Ammunition Certificate - DESPP-417-C - Effective October 1, 2013

Please follow instructions before appearing in person to have a photograph taken and have your fee payable to the "Treasurer State of Connecticut", or exact cash payment.  

Ammuntion Certificate Sample

Application to Purchase a Firearm - DPS-67-C

Must be filled out and retained for 20 years or in the case of FFL dealers until you have gone out of business.

Sale or Transfer of All Firearms - DPS-3-C

Must be filled out completely and legibly.  You must obtain a firearms sales authorization number by calling (860)685-8400.  Instructions for mailing copies appears at the bottom of the form.

Fall and winter hours are:   First Monday in October through last Friday in March
     Monday - Friday          8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
     Saturday -                 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
     Sunday  -                  10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Spring and summer hours are: First Monday in April through last Friday in September  
        Monday - Friday       8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
        Saturday -              9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
        Sunday  -               10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Assault Weapons: Public Act 13-3: An Act Concerning Gun Violence Prevention and Children’s Safety:

Assault Weapon Ban effective by Public Act on April 4, 2013

Newly defined Assault Weapons:

Any newly defined assault weapon that was lawfully purchased on or before April 4, 2013, but was not transferred by that date, may be transferred pursuant to such lawful purchase and a sales authorization number may be obtained for such transfer.  Sellers are required to verify that a lawful purchase occurred on or before April 4, 2013 prior to transferring such firearm.  

Proof of lawful possession will also be required by DESPP from the owner of the firearm with the Application for Certificate of Possession of Assault Weapon.  

Assault Weapon Certificate Application - DPS-414
You must apply for a certificate of possession prior to January 1, 2014.  Any application received after that date will be returned unless post marked on or before December 31,2013.  Please fill out both halves of the form completely and legibly.  You may apply your own thumbprint to the form and sign the form in the presence of a notary.  An additional notarized affidavit/statement will be needed if you do not have the original sale receipt or DPS-3-C showing the date of possession/purchase prior to the law taking effect.

Pre-Ban Assault Weapons
Click on link above for information pertaining to the sale and transfer of Pre-Ban Assault Weapons made prior to September 13, 1994.  

Law Enforcement Officers FAQS
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the text from the Law Enforcement Officer's FAQS pdf mentioned above....

FAQs For Active Duty Law Enforcement Officers

Q: Am I able to buy large capacity magazines and ammunition just on my badge?
A: As long as you produce your badge and official police photo ID, you may purchase large capacity magazines and/or ammunition without further authorization.

Q: Am I limited to ten rounds in my magazine when I’m off duty?
A: No. You may load your magazines to full capacity even when off duty.

Q: Am I subject to the laws regarding the transportation of assault weapons (i.e. unloaded and in a locked case separate from the ammunition) while on duty?
A: No. You are exempt from the transportation laws applicable to assault weapons.

Q: How about when I’m off duty?
A: The same exemption applies.

Q: As a sworn and certified law enforcement officer am I able to buy an assault rifle as my personal weapon?
A: Yes, you may. However, in order to do so you must first obtain a letter on your department’s letterhead authorizing such purchase and stating that the weapon will be used in the discharge of your official duties as well as off duty. The letter must also contain the following statement: “A records check indicates that (your name) has not been convicted of a crime of domestic violence”.

Q: Do I have to register my assault weapons and declare my large capacity magazines by January 1, 2014?
A: You may do so if you wish to. Under the law, you are not required to register your assault weapons or declare your large capacity magazines at this time. However, upon your retirement or other separation from law enforcement, you must register your assault weapons and declare your high capacity magazines with the DESPP not later than ninety (90) days from the date of retirement or separation.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Text from Pre-Ban Assault Weapons pdf.

THE BASIS OF C.G.S. SEC. 53-202m ENABLING TRANSFER OF PRE-SEPTEMBER 13, 1994 ASSAULT WEAPONS

1. Sec. 25(E) of P.A. 13-3 amended Sec. 53-202a to read: “Any semiautomatic firearm regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D) [an extensive list of banned firearms by name], of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following criteria: [Thereafter follows the long list of indicators]. Sec. 25(F) added to “parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon or combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be assembled.”

2. Sec. 23(E) or P.A. 13-220 amended subparagraphs (E) and (F) of P.A. 13-3 to read: ”Any semiautomatic firearm regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D) [of P.A. 13-3], inclusive, of this subdivision and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following criteria: [the long list of indicators set forth in P.A. 13-3].

3. Sec. 11 of P.A. 13-220 amended C.G.S. Sec. 53-202m (effective from passage) to read: “Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53 202j, inclusive, as amended by this act (See 1 and 2 above), SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes , revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994”.

Ipso Facto, the above amendments (1) and (2) to Sec. 53-202a which include the language “regardless of the date such firearm was manufactured” have no effective impact on the plain language of Sec. 53-202m since it clearly state that “any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, as amended by this act (P.A. 13-220), shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon. . . provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I must say, SBHaven continues to provide an outstanding service to the members of this forum.

Thank you very much for going above and beyond the call to give up your time and effort to keep us informed.

Knowledge is power

And it goes along way towards dampening the helplessness we feel at times.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm curious if the LEO exemption also applies to .mil and the other exempt parties.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I must say, SBHaven continues to provide an outstanding service to the members of this forum.

Thank you very much for going above and beyond the call to give up your time and effort to keep us informed.

Knowledge is power

And it goes along way towards dampening the helplessness we feel at times.

View Quote

This. And I have said it before, any time your down by the sub base SB, IM me, the beers on me!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
This needs to be a sticky!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks SB!
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious if the LEO exemption also applies to .mil and the other exempt parties.
View Quote

More or less, yes. Military and other exempted parties can buy/possess those items that we mere surfs/peasants cannot. However they may still be required register the large capacity magazines and or assault weapons. The law gets a bit confusion on the exempted peoples issue and who has to register and who doesn't until they are separated from the exempted job or retire.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#9]
It appears SLFU updated their webpage mentioned in the OP to include this information.

FFL Large Capacity Magazine Transfer to Dealer Form - DPS-417-C1  

Effective January 1, 2014; Federlly Licensed Firearms Dealers must submit this form for any
LCM(s) taken into inventory from a private individual.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Modrapos

Sticky this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top