Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ganoman21:

Thanks for the fast reply!  So for the lower, I meant replacing it with a polymer lower receiver, but since that's the part of the rifle that's registered, I guess that would be a no-no since it would now have the manufacture date of the new lower receiver, and subject to new CT regs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pedorrero79:
If I were to purchase a pre-ban AR from a local shop in CT, what changes/modifications can be made (if any) and still remain legal?

-Replace stock with collapsible stock? No problem
-Rechamber? You mean like a different caliber upper? If so, no problem.
-SBR? May be a problem. I think the jury's still out on that at BATFarts.
-Suppressor? No problem, this is treated differently than a rifle.
-replacing/repairing action? You talking a new trigger group or lower parts kit? Shouldn't be a problem.
-Updating lower? (pretty sure this is a no) Pretty sure I don't know what you mean by that.

Totally new, so thanks for understanding.

Thanks for the fast reply!  So for the lower, I meant replacing it with a polymer lower receiver, but since that's the part of the rifle that's registered, I guess that would be a no-no since it would now have the manufacture date of the new lower receiver, and subject to new CT regs.

No, you can't do that, and you're correct.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Kris's Vector Rifle. Legal?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#3]
GSG-5, how can I get one? Or just simply no?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:

Gunbroker?  JoJo's?  NGX?  Delta Arsenal?

22.LR with a fixed stock, non-threaded barrel, no bayonet lug, etc.
---Pistol grip and detachable magazine is fine
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pi_the_mixer:

1994 gun law for rimfire? That sucks... but something is still better nothing I guess. Thank you for your response Andrapos!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]

1994 gun law for rimfire? That sucks... but something is still better nothing I guess. Thank you for your response Andrapos!
View All Quotes

If you know where to look or IM me you can have a regular PreBan AR for around or just over 1k
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sardo_67:

If you know where to look or IM me you can have a regular PreBan AR for around or just over 1k
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sardo_67:

Thank you for the head up... I was able to snatch 2 nice billet lower receivers before that day. Just got the paper back for my very first SBR.

I looked it up a little more and now I want the HK MP5 A5, but this thing has threaded barrel for the fake suppressor and collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:27:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikehikes] [#8]

SBR Ares SCR 10.5 inch barrel. Is this CT legal with a removable muzzle device? Or would you need a pinned and welded muzzle brake/supressor mount?

Obviously all  NFA rules followed. Is the ATF requiring Aw registrations on SBR applications that are not AW's?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:42:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrapos] [#9]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Less than 12" barrel classifies it as a pistol/handgun in CT.  Get it to +12" barrel with +30" overall length and it could be legal if not on the named ban list
View Quote

Would that count for registered post ban ARs? Hypothetically ATF approves a form 1 but you still need 12+ inches for the state?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#11]
any links to exceptions?

ie more specifically, in the military getting stationed in CT.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:
any links to exceptions?

View Quote

IIRC military is good to go as long as you are active. Once you are done in the military you have 90fays to register (if you decide to stay)
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IHTFP08] [#13]
Originally Posted By Tbr1806:

IIRC military is good to go as long as you are active. Once you are done in the military you have 90fays to register (if you decide to stay)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:
any links to exceptions?

can you point me in the direction to read the law myself? I cant find anything. It's only for 6 months, I just like to read it myself rather than rely on second hand info.

ETA:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0001.htm
"Members of the military who move to Connecticut, after October 1, 1994, have 90 days to get a certificate of possession for any legally possessed assault weapon (CGS §§ 53-202d(b))."

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616
"Who may possess Assault Weapons in Connecticut?

Law enforcement and military personnel may possess Assault Weapons in connection with their official duties"

I can't find a blanket military exemption. And what exactly constitutes official duties? I interpret supporting and defending the Constitution as my 24/7 as my official duty.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey gang, just getting into the AR game myself. I am going tomorrow to pick up a colt sporter HBAR. I've been reading this thread and ones like it for days but I can't find the specific answer to my question, hoping you guys can help.

I plan to grab a new upper receiver with a flat top and a few other bits and pieces, eventually culminating in two different upper sets. The original 22" 1 in 7, and a 16". My question is this, If the lower is a preban, which it will be, is it legal to have banned features (let's say a flash hider or collapsible stock for example) on the modified rifle? So could I put a new barrel and upper on the rifle along with the factory (non pinned) flash hider?

On a slightly separate topic, do magpul AFGs count as a vertical fore grip in CT?

Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:48:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Beetlebz:
Hey gang, just getting into the AR game myself. I am going tomorrow to pick up a colt sporter HBAR. I've been reading this thread and ones like it for days but I can't find the specific answer to my question, hoping you guys can help.

I plan to grab a new upper receiver with a flat top and a few other bits and pieces, eventually culminating in two different upper sets. The original 22" 1 in 7, and a 16". My question is this, If the lower is a preban, which it will be, is it legal to have banned features (let's say a flash hider or collapsible stock for example) on the modified rifle? So could I put a new barrel and upper on the rifle along with the factory (non pinned) flash hider? Yes, add whatever features you would like.

On a slightly separate topic, do magpul AFGs count as a vertical fore grip in CT?
On a preban rifle it won't matter anyway. Or are you talking about adding this to a post ban firearm to find compliance (a la. Mad Smith Style), or to a pistol?

Thanks in advance guys.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
In regards to the AFG, both. I settled on a magpul hand stop kit for my troy PAR, but for extra leverage the AFG was perfect. Some say being a pump it doesn't matter, but I'm pretty sure it still can't have a VFG. And shamefully I must admit I got awfully used to the AFG and thumb-over-bore grip back in my airsoft days..

Thanks so much for the super fast reply.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Are military exempt from the ammo purchasing restrictions too?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I want to make sure I have this correct....

So if I have a pre-ban AR and I want to SBR It, the form 1 creates a new firearm. So the fact that it's a pre-ban means nothing (because it's now a new firearm) and I would need to remove the flash hider and pistol grip and pin the stock for it to be compliant. Am I in the right ballpark here?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#20]

So if I have a pre-ban AR and I want to SBR It, the form 1 creates a new firearm. So the fact that it's a pre-ban means nothing (because it's now a new firearm) and I would need to remove the flash hider and pistol grip and pin the stock for it to be compliant. Am I in the right ballpark here?
View Quote

No, you can have as many evil features as you want on a pre-ban, even if you SBR it. But you will need to obtain a certificate of possession from DPS before the ATF will sign off on a form 1.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#21]

No, you can have as many evil features as you want on a pre-ban, even if you SBR it. But you will need to obtain a certificate of possession from DPS before the ATF will sign off on a form 1.
View All Quotes

Are they issuing new certs for prebans? I honestly don't know.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 2:17:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Well that certainly sounds harmless enough. I'll give them a call this week. The lower is a colt, so a preban status letter shouldn't be impossible.

Thanks for the great info guys.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mikehikes:

Would that count for registered post ban ARs? Hypothetically ATF approves a form 1 but you still need 12+ inches for the state?
View All Quotes
Less than 12" barrel classifies it as a pistol/handgun in CT.  Get it to +12" barrel with +30" overall length and it could be legal if not on the named ban list

Say what?  Are you saying that you can't form 1 a 11.5" or less SBR on a registered post ban AR?
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:24:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leon82] [#25]

Originally Posted By coloncommando:
Say what?  Are you saying that you can't form 1 a 11.5" or less SBR on a registered post ban AR?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coloncommando:

You can.

The problem would be if you don't have a pistol permit.

Aids cannons need a barrel over 12

He was referring to the Ares gun possibly being legal
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Ahh gotcha it would be considered pistol because of barrel length.  Pistol=pistol permit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:55:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zegermanznew] [#27]
Can someone provide me a link to the statue about carrying transporting a pistol to/from the range or place of business WITHOUT a permit?

Thanks

Edited: transporting
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By zegermanznew:
Can someone provide me a link to the statue about carrying transporting a pistol to/from the range or place of business WITHOUT a permit?

Thanks

View Quote

I'll see if I can find it but IIRC, you cannot transport a pistol without a permit. They are allowed to be carryd in home or in your place of business but cannot even be transported between the two.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#29]
There is language allowing some transport with an eligibility cert.

Transport without any permit I'm not sure. I'm going to guess in your home only
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Best I could find is the 2011 General Statute 29-35a.

That is the one that says you can transport so long as it is unloaded and in a separate vehicle compartment, or if there isn't another compartment in the vehicle, unloaded and locked inside a container etc.

Can you really not at all, now? Thats retarded if true.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#31]

I'll see if I can find it but IIRC, you cannot transport a pistol without a permit. They are allowed to be carryd in home or in your place of business but cannot even be transported between the two.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zegermanznew:

Thanks

I know they can't "carry" it, but not even transport, too? That'd be un real. How would one get it to work? UPS? ha!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#32]
What does the state consider "permanent" regarding magazines?  

Pop rivets, or magblocks? Or magblocks with pop riveted base plates?

I'm looking for 10/30's and I found some from charliecoopers and jestice and hartatac. Some offer epoxy over baseplate, and some are just a simple rivet.
I wonder what the state defines permanent as.  And what is acceptable.  
Then if you look at it this way a simple roll pin is permanent. Pinned flash hiders are a permanent way of extending the barrel length to 16 from 14.5...

Anyone know what the state says is acceptable on 10/30's?  I have hexmag 10/30's now but the OAL width is wider than pmags and fight very tight in my PWA.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gordo556] [#34]
That's good to hear.  I wish we could find out from the state somehow what is acceptable under the law.

I'd hate to be "that guy" to email them and then get it ruined.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jgreen2193:
That's good to hear.  I wish we could find out from the state somehow what is acceptable under the law.

View Quote

I just spoke with a local FFL who tried to get an answer out of them with no luck. If he couldn't get an answer, I don't think you will.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Writing laws in clear English?, lol. They made it vauge for a reason.

They didn't seem to have a problem defining a LCM or so called salt weapon.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#37]

I just spoke with a local FFL who tried to get an answer out of them with no luck. If he couldn't get an answer, I don't think you will.
View All Quotes

10-32 thru bolt with a nylon threaded lock washer?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Just because im new to all of this I figured id ask, been searching and cant get a definite answer.

22LR AR variants are NOT GTG correct?  

Been tossing around the idea of getting one if there are ways to have a cheap fun gun to go and shoot without my wallet being set on fire.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#39]
If they meet the 2 feature criteria they are legal.

So detachable mag, pistol grip only
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok that makes sense, I actually looked everywhere but any of the MFG websites.  Just noticed S&W make a CT legal version.  

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#41]
You can buy a stag 22 ar that's all milspec. Including upper and lower. But it's modified where you cannot shoot centerfire without switching parts. Swapping the extension tube and shooting centerfire with it puts you at risk of getting caught and breaking the law within this state.
You can buy a smith wesson mp15-22

Rimfire rifles are AW's if they have 2 evil features ALONG WITH a detachable mag.  So if it has a pistol grip only that is the ONE allowed evil feature. One more feature and then it's labeled as an AW.  
Look at the feature list for further understanding what the features actually are.  They are all ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#42]
You can buy a stag 22 ar that's all milspec. Including upper and lower. But it's modified where you cannot shoot centerfire without switching parts. Swapping the extension tube and shooting centerfire with it puts you at risk of getting caught and breaking the law within this state.

Rimfire rifles are AW's if they have 2 evil features ALONG WITH a detachable mag.  So if it has a pistol grip only that is the ONE allowed evil feature. One more feature and then it's labeled as an AW.  
Look at the feature list for further understanding what the features actually are.  They are all ridiculous.
View Quote

I would honestly just keep it rimfire, I have no issues with it and have alot of it already!  I just figure this would be a fun thing to shoot and it be cheaper to buy and fire than a preban.  I will have to look at the feature list before I start adding any parts to it.  Looks like the CT version of the S&W M&P 15-22 has a pistol grip and removable mag, so im out of features already!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By plinker8:

I would honestly just keep it rimfire, I have no issues with it and have alot of it already!  I just figure this would be a fun thing to shoot and it be cheaper to buy and fire than a preban.  I will have to look at the feature list before I start adding any parts to it.  Looks like the CT version of the S&W M&P 15-22 has a pistol grip and removable mag, so im out of features already!!!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By plinker8:

Yes
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:27:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: loote] [#44]
I have a question. My father has two .22 long rifles he would like to give me. They have been at his house unused and untouched for years and he doesn't have a CT pistol permit or any other permit. I have a CT pistol permit. If he wants to give these long guns to me, do I have to file paperwork to legally posses these guns if I take them off of his property? Can I take them off the property if I am "borrowing" them with his permission? Is this area of the law with regards to long guns realistically enforced? Per the instructions below:

On or after April 1, 2014
The buyer cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms.
Buyer must present the seller one of the following; a valid long gun eligibility certificate, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver, or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver.
Call DESPP (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 for an authorization number.
The buyer fills out a DPS-67-C form and the seller retains it for 20 years.
The seller fills out DPS-3-C form (4 copies total). The seller retains the original (for at least 5 years). One copy goes to the buyer at point of sale/transfer. One copy goes to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. The final copy goes to the chief of police or the warden of the borough or the first selectman, of the town in which the buyer resides.

The DPS-3-C form asks for the sellers firearms permit #. My dad does not have any permit, but I believe he is legal in owning these guns since they never leave the property. Is he legally able to transfer the guns to me without holding any permit even though the form asks for it? I would like to possess these long guns in accordance with all state and federal laws.

Thanks,
Loote
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:16:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#46]

Originally Posted By loote:

I have a question. My father has two .22 long rifles he would like to give me. They have been at his house unused and untouched for years and he doesn't have a CT pistol permit or any other permit. I have a CT pistol permit. If he wants to give these long guns to me, do I have to file paperwork to legally posses these guns if I take them off of his property? Can I take them off the property if I am "borrowing" them with his permission? Is this area of the law with regards to long guns realistically enforced? Per the instructions below:
On or after April 1, 2014

The buyer cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms.

Buyer must present the seller one of the following; a valid long gun eligibility certificate, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver, or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver.

Call DESPP (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 for an authorization number.

The buyer fills out a DPS-67-C form and the seller retains it for 20 years.

The seller fills out DPS-3-C form (4 copies total). The seller retains the original (for at least 5 years). One copy goes to the buyer at point of sale/transfer. One copy goes to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. The final copy goes to the chief of police or the warden of the borough or the first selectman, of the town in which the buyer resides.

The DPS-3-C form asks for the sellers firearms permit #. My dad does not have any permit, but I believe he is legal in owning these guns since they never leave the property. Is he legally able to transfer the guns to me without holding any permit even though the form asks for it? I would like to possess these long guns in accordance with all state and federal laws.
Thanks,

Loote
View Quote

Too bad your father didn't give them to you before 04/01/14. Back then face to face transactions were OK and there was no registering so state would not have to have been notified.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Are hand stops GTG?  I know vertical grips are not, just havn't seen any info on the stops.  Cant see why they wouldnt be GTG but this state always surprises me
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I think they are OK on a pistol per the atf and not a vertical grip. But who knows what the state thinks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Leon82:
I think they are OK on a pistol per the atf and not a vertical grip. But who knows what the state thinks.
View Quote

Gotcha, thank you
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I've applied for a position in CT.  Most of my toys would be illegal there so they will stay at my current residence or safely stored elsewhere.

The way that I'm reading things a solid stock Mini-14/30/6.8, an M1 carbine, or basically any "standard" stock rifle is ok as long as the magazine is under 10 rounds, has no evil features, and it's not specifically forbidden on the lists?

Would a VZ58 with a pistol grip, pinned (mag pinned in rifle) 10 rd magazine, solid stock, no bayonet lug and permed muzzle break be gtg?  (you load it with stripper clips like an SKS)
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top