Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Posted: 6/21/2013 12:11:02 AM
I wanted to gauge interest in a "rocket hub" project I was considering...

Mobile mini milling
- bench top mill complete with digital read outs
- assortment of drill bits and end mills
- assorted lubricants for multiple materials

Was thinking of funding options such as $50 for 2 day rental, $100 for a full week. It's an affordable option for guys looking to do some custom work without the major investment. It would be a CT only regional deal and would work on a first fund first served basis.

sardo_67
Game Changer
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 1:41:02 AM
Hmmm. Very interesting, how easy is this machine to use for the new guy and what types of things are being made with it. Mostly set up to finish the 80% lowers?
I did love my job, working hard is what K9s do…. I was born for it, I lived for it, and died for it; for my country….but mostly for you.
IDD Sgt Streaker (R556) KIA 11-15-2011 Helmand Afg
AR15BUFF
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 3:35:57 PM
I am in. Let me know the details and the funding. I can bring my own tooling.
We're all here because we are not all there...
blizzardmotors
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 4:06:28 PM
Originally Posted By sardo_67:
Hmmm. Very interesting, how easy is this machine to use for the new guy and what types of things are being made with it. Mostly set up to finish the 80% lowers?

I wouldn't want to speculate what people are using the mill for. Perhaps helping your daughter get a good grade in science class, maybe modifying an upper, or even finishing a lower. We all know what's legal and what's not. The peoject it to fund a mobile affordable milling operating. What you choose to use the mill for is up to you...
edgephoto
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 8:01:26 PM
Count me in!! I have some parts to build for my Jaguar.
zegermanznew
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 8:04:01 PM
Originally Posted By blizzardmotors:
Originally Posted By sardo_67:

I wouldn't want to speculate what people are using the mill for. Perhaps helping your daughter get a good grade in science class, maybe modifying an upper, or even finishing a lower. We all know what's legal and what's not. The peoject it to fund a mobile affordable milling operating. What you choose to use the mill for is up to you...

I think thats an awesome idea.

How to market it and reach your target customer is gonna be a fiasco, but its definitely unique and extraordinarily useful.
edgephoto
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 8:30:05 PM
Rent it and charge $500 or more deposit.
blizzardmotors
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 8:31:21 PM
Based on initial reactions, it sounds like there is at least some need/demand for the mobile milling. I will have to see if I can set up the project so that if by the deadline, if there are not enough funders, everyone will get their money back. If its close enough, I will just kick in the rest. I have 2 large machine shops on both sides of my shop, but any time I bring them something small to work on, I feel like I'm bothering them. I'm sure other guys are in the same boat, so that's why i thought a rocket hub project might be worth pursuing.

The only weary part is looking into liability insurance, if needed, in the event someone got injured from metal shavings in their eye or a cut up hand or worse. Also some sort of retainer, in the event the mill went missing or was destroyed. Long ago are the days of a handshake and responsibility for NOT wearing protective gear while engaging in dangerous activities...
edgephoto
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/21/2013 10:39:58 PM
You can add an umbrella liability policy onto your home owner's insurance which will cover you for being sued personally. Then you can also create a waiver to sign as part of the rental agreement.

If you don't get the project going by end of July I am probably going to buy a bench top machine to do my projects and then I may sell it after I am done.
zegermanznew
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/22/2013 7:33:34 AM
Originally Posted By edgephoto:
You can add an umbrella liability policy onto your home owner's insurance which will cover you for being sued personally. Then you can also create a waiver to sign as part of the rental agreement.

If you don't get the project going by end of July I am probably going to buy a bench top machine to do my projects and then I may sell it after I am done.

Couldn't you also just set it up as an LLC?