Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2013 5:03:34 PM EDT
Ok so here is my question...before the new bill was signed into effect i was legally able to posses and purchase a long-gun and shot-gun but was disqualified from getting a pistol eligibility certificate and pistol permit.

Now since the new bill has been passed there is the new long gun eligibility certificate, which, in reading the new bill will now have the same requirements as the handgun eligibility certificate, which i was unable to obtain for a CGS 21a-279(c) misdemeanor charge which brings a 1,000 fine and a max of a year in jail.

So i was legally allowed to own rifles and shotguns before the law was signed, but am i now a criminal for owning rifles and shotguns and will i be able to get a long gun eligibility certificate? This bill is unreal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet is to wait it out and try again . Time can make a misdemeanor go away and come off your record
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have behaved for a number of years you can apply for an expungement. Then re-apply. How did you pass the instant background check but not the pistol permit check?
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing hunting license.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
you can keep your guns and get the ammo certificate
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ct.gov/bopp/cwp/view.asp?a=4331&q=508294
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have behaved for a number of years you can apply for an expungement. Then re-apply. How did you pass the instant background check but not the pistol permit check?

In Connecticut there are 11 misdemeanors that stop you from obtaining your handgun eligibility certificate and getting your carry permit, but those laws dont apply to rifles or shotguns in ct. I need to wait 3 years to try and file for my misdemeanor expungement or pardon. I passed background check because my conviction dosent keep me from legally owning a rifle or shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 1:56:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The way they worded it is sort of tricky. But it appears they ex post facto'd you. In the law they're basically saying anyone with one of the disqualifying misdemeanor convictions for handgun permits now can not get their eligibility certificate to BUY a long gun. Not possess, BUY. So you are legally allowed to own long guns still and keep the ones you've already bought, you just cannot get the eligibilty certificate needed to buy anymore after its required (starting April 1, 2014) You may be able to buy long guns until then.

This was a sneaky cowardly thing for the state to do. They should just let anyone with a conviction before Oct 1, 2013 get their certificate to keep buying considering they're still allowed to own them anyway.

This will probably have to be tweaked or cleared up more with the state in the next few weeks considering its going to affect a lot of people. Its unconstituional anyway to do this kind of ex post facto stuff.

But anyone who gets charged with one of those misdemeanors on or after Oct 1, 2013 and is later convicted will be ineligible to possess OR buy a long gun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#8]
So what happens if one had one or more of these misdemeanors out of state, and they were all annulled/expunged/sealed?  Does one even have to mention it on the rifle/pistol forms?

Seems to me that even if expunged, if one has to mention it, one will be denied for "suitability" reasons -
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]
This list of misdemeanors or excuses for being denied your 2nd amendment rights will continue to grow.... until only the elite, slimy politically connected or ultra wealthy can buy themselves the Right.

...wait and see, give the govt an inch and it will rapidly expand to a mile.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So what happens if one had one or more of these misdemeanors out of state, and they were all annulled/expunged/sealed?  Does one even have to mention it on the rifle/pistol forms?

Seems to me that even if expunged, if one has to mention it, one will be denied for "suitability" reasons -

Fairly certain if expunged you can swear under oath that you have never been arrested or convicted.

I think you may want to pay a small fee , have yourself finger printed at a local PD and submit a records request to the FBI for a detailed list of convictions. Actually see what is on your record, if anything.

This is what the local pd does when you submit for a ccw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top