Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2013 10:03:55 AM EDT
Updated information on the DESPP Firearms page.
http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616

Direct links...

(Updated) List of Assault Weapons
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/assault_weapons.pdf

Assault Weapon Certificate Application
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/dps-414-c_assault_weapon_cert.pdf

Assault Weapon Transfer Form
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/dps-415-c_assault_weapon_transfer.pdf

Here are the Instructions for the assault weapons certificate application...
1. Type or print all information in both sections. (Must be legible or it will be returned)
2. Submit proof that you purchased this weapon April 4, 2013 in addition to one of the following: a DPS-3, or sworn affidavit that the specified assault weapon was purchased in compliance with state and federal laws.
3. Thumbprint is required for application to be processed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for finding this.  Besides the obvious typo that will have to be corrected, this is actually a really good form (i.e. it does not require you to specify the accessories to the rifle -- hint, hint).
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Submit proof?  Ha...oh here we go this should be good.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Form is already screwed up. I can only register it if I purchased it on April 4, 2013, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Form is already screwed up. I can only register it if I purchased it on April 4, 2013, I guess.

Yup -- that's the obvious typo that has to be fixed.  With regard to the "proof" requirement, just submit a sworn affidavit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure its because of the typo on the form, BUT...that is now how it currently reads:

Submit proof that you purchased this weapon April 4, 2013 in addition to one of the following: a DPS-3, or sworn affidavit that the specified assault weapon was purchased in compliance with state and federal laws.

Proof in addition to one of the following:  a DPS-3 or affidavit

I'm sure it's just a bad form right now...
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Why does it say show proof it was bought by April 4th IN ADDITION to a DPS-3 or affidavit.
If I bought a rifle years ago and don't have a DPS-3 then how can i show proof other than my sworn affidavit.
Makes no sense
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Because the language of the law is screwy, they probably did not know whether to say "by April 4, 2013" or "before April 4, 2013" and just put it out before getting legal clearance.  As the form is worded right now, onyl people who purchased yesterday could submit the application.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep that "submit proof" in addition to "one of the following: a DPS-3" will be a problem for more than a few people, especially if they are sticklers on it.

Also missing from the form is the fact that the bill stated they were supposed to add a section for LCM's on it.

Sec. 24
(b) In addition to the application form prescribed under subsection (a) of this section, the department shall design or amend the application forms for a certificate of possession for an assault weapon under section 53-202d of the general statutes, as amended by this act, or for a permit to carry a pistol or revolver under section 29-28a of the general statutes, a long gun eligibility certificate under section 2 of this act, an eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver under section 29-36f of the general statutes, as amended by this act, or any renewal of such permit or certificate to permit an applicant to declare possession of a large capacity magazine pursuant to this section upon the same application.

Fun times ahead...
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
So...

Purchase by/on April 4th?

Or

Take transfer from your FFL by/on April 4th?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
yeah I saw that as well.
If this stays as is alot of people who were gifted rifles or who did cash FTF sales are going to be left without a chair when the music stops.
I am hoping this is just a first draft that some clerk was rushed into getting on their website.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Where are we supposed to bring this certificate and our guns? Local PD, State Police, DPS?

Edit: Also FTF sales were legal before April 4, 2013, with no paperwork, right? How is that going to be handled?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep that "submit proof" in addition to "one of the following: a DPS-3" will be a problem for more than a few people, especially if they are sticklers on it.

Also missing from the form is the fact that the bill stated they were supposed to add a section for LCM's on it.

Sec. 24
(b) In addition to the application form prescribed under subsection (a) of this section, the department shall design or amend the application forms for a certificate of possession for an assault weapon under section 53-202d of the general statutes, as amended by this act, or for a permit to carry a pistol or revolver under section 29-28a of the general statutes, a long gun eligibility certificate under section 2 of this act, an eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver under section 29-36f of the general statutes, as amended by this act, or any renewal of such permit or certificate to permit an applicant to declare possession of a large capacity magazine pursuant to this section upon the same application.

Fun times ahead...

That is a good catch.  If you have a BX-25 magazine, it is not being used in an AW.  So does the law require that you register your 10/22 as an AW jsut so you can declare the magazine?  Charlie Foxtrot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Just looked. They updated the form.

Type or print all information in both sections. (Must be legible or it will be returned)
Submit proof that you purchased this weapon on or prior to April 4, 2013 in addition to one of the following: a DPS-3, or sworn affidavit that the
specified assault weapon was purchased in compliance with state and federal laws.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sec. 24

Fun times ahead...

That is a good catch.  If you have a BX-25 magazine, it is not being used in an AW.  So does the law require that you register your 10/22 as an AW jsut so you can declare the magazine?  Charlie Foxtrot.

They are going to have to have an LCM only form or something due to all the LCM handgun that will NOT be registered.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just looked. They updated the form.

Type or print all information in both sections. (Must be legible or it will be returned)
Submit proof that you purchased this weapon on or prior to April 4, 2013 in addition to one of the following: a DPS-3, or sworn affidavit that the
specified assault weapon was purchased in compliance with state and federal laws.

still not really a feasible request.

it should read:

Submit proof that you possessed this weapon on or prior to April 4, 2013 via one of the following: a DPS-3, or sworn affidavit that the
specified assault weapon was obtained in compliance with state and federal laws.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Multi going in every caliber box... or a list of every caliber you can stuff through an AR mag well.

ETA: Since they wont be selling many guns I would not mind paying my dealers to dig up and confirm proof for any I can't find.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit,
I purchased a firearm from Forest and Field over 5 years ago they are out of business how do I get proof that I bought it from them.The state has on file it was transfered from them to me.
And what about the guys who did FTF transfers or were gifted firearms.
These ass clowns know what was purchased and when (If done through a gunshop/FFL ).
Fuck them for making everyone jump through hoops.

And to bitch a little more because I want to...Why the fuck should I give them my SSN# they will have my Pistol Permit(I assume theat is Operators #) I dont put it on any form when purchasing a firearm why does it have to be on this form.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Actually, I looked at the law and it looks like we both missed something.  Section 24(a) requires declaration of an LCM

(a) Any person who lawfully possesses a large capacity magazine prior to January 1, 2014, shall apply by January 1, 2014, . . . to the state to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection to declare possession of such magazine. Such application shall be made on such form or in such manner as the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection prescribes.

Section 24(b) provides the language about forms but the first couple of lines are important (things in brackets are my comments):

(b) In addition to the application form prescribed under subsection (a) of this section [that is the LCM declaration], the department shall design or amend the application forms [plural] for a certificate of possession for an assault weapon under section 53-202d of the general statutes, as amended by this act, or for a permit to carry a pistol or revolver under section 29-28a of the general statutes, a long gun eligibility certificate under section 2 of this act, an eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver under section 29-36f of the general statutes, as amended by this act, or any renewal of such permit or certificate to permit an applicant to declare possession of a large capacity magazine pursuant to this section upon the same application.

So it looks like you will be able to declare LCMs separately or on an AW application (i.e. "in addition to").
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Multi going in every caliber box... or a list of every caliber you can stuff through an AR mag well.

Absolutely critical.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm so fucking confused. All of my ARs started life as a stripped lower. All bought pre 4/4/2013. When I fill out this certificate do I-
•Just list the lower's S/N or the complete configuration?
•Can I print this form off and mail it in, or do I have to drag all my guns somewhere?
•Is a sworn affidavit the easiest way to prove I purchased before 4/4?
•How the hell do I obtain a sworn affadavit?
•Who fingerprints me the local PD?
•Can someone once and for all tell me if I'm allowed to have an adjustable stock now or these soon to be registered AW's, I heard about 10 yes' and 10 no's

Please someone smarter than I help me before I have a fucking stroke
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, first Breath

This is only day 1 (after the signing)  it is going to take time, and we have plenty.  

I think the best thing for everyone is to get off the .net this weekend and go out and enjoy yourselves.

The only thing you have to concern yourself with right now is to only have 10rds in your carry gun OUTSIDE your home.

Don't worry, this will all be worked out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm so fucking confused. All of my ARs started life as a stripped lower. All bought pre 4/4/2013. When I fill out this certificate do I-
•Just list the lower's S/N or the complete configuration?

According to the current form, a description of the configuration is not required

Quoted:
•Can I print this form off and mail it in, or do I have to drag all my guns somewhere?

Neither the law nor the form provides clarity on this yet.

Quoted:
•Is a sworn affidavit the easiest way to prove I purchased before 4/4?

I am not giving you legal advice but my opinion is yes.

Quoted:
•How the hell do I obtain a sworn affadavit?

I am not giving you legal advice but my opinion is that they are easy to make.  I am sure you will see an example pop up soon -- and in any event prior to 1/1/2014.

Quoted:
•Who fingerprints me the local PD?

While the law is silent on that, the form includes an affirmation that the "fingerprint is true and correct."  That implies that you can do it yourself but do not be surprised if it gets rejected and they say "come on down so we can do it."

Quoted:
•Can someone once and for all tell me if I'm allowed to have an adjustable stock now or these soon to be registered AW's, I heard about 10 yes' and 10 no's

I am not publicizing an opinion on that yet but sit tight while the legislature completes its session.

Quoted:
Please someone smarter than I help me before I have a fucking stroke

It's a big shit sandwich and we all have to take a bite.  More answers will come in the next few months.  For now, just remember to download your mags when you leave your house and keep your rifles in their current configurations.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The only thing you have to concern yourself with right now is to only have 10rds in your carry gun OUTSIDE your home.

Why? Where in the bill does it mention one is forced to carry 10 rounds outside their home when the bill was signed into law? Have you "declared possession" of your LCM under Sec. 24 of the bill/Public Act No. 13-3?

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#24]
The form indicates (ETA: IMPLIES) that you have to go down to the police with your weapon so they can verify the information you put on the form - or that is how I interpret the "verifying officers signature" block -

Guess a notary public can do a sworn affadavit?

Local PD can take the prints, or it's probably done when you go down to have the police verify the info on the form.

Unbelieveable.  America 2013 (although this happened in CT before.  I am from NH - never went through this BS before)

I bought my HK USC in NH years ago - that is problematic -
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The form indicates that you have to go down to the police with your weapon so they can verify the information you rput on the form

?
Where does it say that?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The form indicates that you have to go down to the police with your weapon so they can verify the information you rput on the form

?
Where does it say that?

that is how I interpret the "verifying officers signature" block -

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The form indicates that you have to go down to the police with your weapon so they can verify the information you put on the form - or that is how I interpret the "verifying officers signature" block -

Where does it say that?  The closest I can find is the line for the officer's signature: "Signature of Officer verifying information."  It could, I guess, imply that the office is literally and physically verifying the information but I doubt they want thousands of people marching down to DESPP with rifles in hand.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The form indicates that you have to go down to the police with your weapon so they can verify the information you put on the form - or that is how I interpret the "verifying officers signature" block -

Where does the form make that statement? The form only states; "Signature of Officer verifying information." it makes NO mention (that see) of bringing the firearm with you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does it say that?  The closest I can find is the line for the officer's signature: "Signature of Officer verifying information."  It could, I guess, imply that the office is literally and physically verifying the information but I doubt they want thousands of people marching down to DESPP with rifles in hand.

Why not?  That would add to the inconvenience and harassment of the gun owner, right?  That's what it is all about -

How is the cop going to verify it? Looking at what you provided, or looking at the weapon, or both?

But I should have said the form "implies" - sorry -
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? Where in the bill does it mention one is forced to carry 10 rounds outside their home when the bill was signed into law? Have you "declared possession" of your LCM under Sec. 24 of the bill/Public Act No. 13-3?

You are correct.  Good catch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?  That would add to the inconvenience and harassment of the gun owner, right?  That's what it is all about -

True... true..

but that is not what I think (IANAL) that area is for. That is just the "sign off"

There was a thread on here not too long about about the last registration... brb, gonna see if i can find it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Firearms & weapons are PROHIBITED in DPS HQ.  There is no way, short of them setting up a tent in the parking lot, that they are having people bringing an AW into that building to register it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IANAL...but....that sounds like trouble to me.. BUT if that is how you read it and want to be a test case...
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How is the cop going to verify it? Looking at what you provided, or looking at the weapon, or both?

Can imagine the safety clusterfuck that would create?  People didn't bring their rifle in when registering in '94 did they?  I don't know because I was only a wee lad back then.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Just had a thought. It appears everyone would have to drive to SPECIAL LICENSING AND FIREARMS UNIT at 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, Ct to register their AW's. What happens if someone cannot drive or doesn't have a car? How are they supposed to register their AW?

Even better what happens if someone doesn't have a right thumb?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#36]
OK, found it:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_26/519357_In_the_93_CT_state_ban__could_you_register_lowers_as_assault_weapons_.html

Pain explained the process in there.  Now, this was the old way...BUT i can't imagine they want ANYONE to EVER bring down a rifle to ANY Police Station
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?
Where does it say that?

that is how I interpret the "verifying officers signature" block -

My assumption is that the role of the verifying officer is going to be more like the role that they assume when you swear out a statement,
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OK, found it:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_26/519357_In_the_93_CT_state_ban__could_you_register_lowers_as_assault_weapons_.html

Pain explained the process in there.  Now, this was the old way...BUT i can't imagine they want ANYONE to EVER bring down a rifle to ANY Police Station

Direct link to Pain's post...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_26/519357_In_the_93_CT_state_ban__could_you_register_lowers_as_assault_weapons_.html&page=1#i5647796

I really don't look forward to having to get another finger print card from the NHPD. I had to pay for parking down there last time for my pistol permit, and go during work hours in the process.

I assume we would only need ONE finger print card for all of the AW one would register and not an individual card for each AW you plan on registering.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dannel personally throws them in jail and bangs them in the ass.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dannel personally throws them in jail and bangs them in the ass.

Good to know.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I assume we would only need ONE finger print card for all of the AW one would register and not an individual card for each AW you plan on registering.

The way the form is layed out now, you need a right thumb print on each application.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IANAL...but....that sounds like trouble to me.. BUT if that is how you read it and want to be a test case...

Its all open to interpretation. But here's the thing. If you interpret it to mean that you cannot carry an LCM until you "declare" it, which I assume means register it since its in the registration section, no one could legally carry an LCM since there are NO application forms for the LCM certificate. I'll bet there are lots of people carrying in public right now that could potentially be carrying an LCM illegally.

I suppose that may have been the intention of the idiots who wrote is abomination. Would make for an interesting court case if someone used an LCM in their handgun to defend themselves in public but hadn't registered it because the state didn't have the registration method in place.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its all open to interpretation. But here's the thing. If you interpret it to mean that you cannot carry an LCM until you "declare" it, which I assume means register it since its in the registration section, no one could legally carry an LCM since there are NO application forms for the LCM certificate. I'll bet there are lots of people carrying in public right now that could potentially be carrying an LCM illegally.

I suppose that may have been the intention of the idiots who wrote is abomination. Would make for an interesting court case if someone used an LCM in their handgun to defend themselves in public but hadn't registered it because the state didn't have the registration method in place.

That almost happened to an Arfcommer this afternoon.  Good thing he didn't have an LCM  
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That almost happened to an Arfcommer this afternoon.  Good thing he didn't have an LCM  

story to follow?

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Firearms & weapons are PROHIBITED in DPS HQ.  There is no way, short of them setting up a tent in the parking lot, that they are having people bringing an AW into that building to register it.

In addition to this, aren't AW only going to be allowed out of your place of residence to travel to and from a range?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#46]
So what happens when I want to drive through CT with my NH lawful EBR and mags to get to a 3-gun shoot down south and I get pulled over or get into an accident? Are they going to make me a felon?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So what happens when I want to drive through CT with my NH lawful EBR and mags to get to a 3-gun shoot down south and I get pulled over or get into an accident? Are they going to make me a felon?

Federal law trumps state law on interstate travel.  See 18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#48]

how would one register completed 80% lowers that were never serialized?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In addition to this, aren't AW only going to be allowed out of your place of residence to travel to and from a range?

It's slightly less restrictive than that standard.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

good eye.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top