Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2013 5:16:05 PM EDT
Anyone old enough to remember?

I've got stripped lowers, but not enough uppers.

Am I going to be building rifles in the parking lot of the DPS in middletown, swapping parts out?   Concern is that they will be registering AW's based on their feature count, and lowers are feature-less.

Also, where did they do the registrations?  DId you have to go to Middletown?  Do you show up with a trunk full of guns?  DId you just mail it in?   If so, could I just mail in a bunch of registrations for AK flats and 80% receivers?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The firearms regulated by the 1993 law were, to my knowledge, all shipped exclusively as complete firearms. As a result, I doubt that is an issue that would have come up.

By all accounts, when interpreting/ applying the later feature ban (and exemption for  preban firearms), the applied standard has been by the receiver...as I believe most of us are familiar.

I think we would really be charting into new waters.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
iirc, you filled out the form, got printed at the nearest barracks, & I believe you just mailed it all in. They tore off 1/2 the sheet and sent it back. Don't recall ever presenting iron. The # was eventually added to the registry.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Im getting sick just thinking about it
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
You had to fill out paperwork and show that piece of paper that comes with a sale...

Never presented actual firearm

Your thumbprint was taken on piece of paper... Along with serial number of the weapon and your personal info.

You retain this as evidence of registration.

You have to see this thing... Looks like a 4 year old made it in art class...
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You had to fill out paperwork and show that piece of paper that comes with a sale...

Your thumbprint was taken on piece of paper... Along with serial number of the weapon and your personal info.

Pain shared his a few times.  Agreed.  Kinda silly.  

Concern is obviously what they will require now.

I don't have any paperwork on a lot of stuff.  Fuck this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you know,there are other states outside this gheeeeeey NE area that has this weird stuff...i read about it once... its called freedom. lets all go find it
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What if I remove the gas tube and weld up the hole in the barrel and turn my AR into a bolt action rifle, would it be an assault rifle then??  
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
What if my AR fell off my boat into a PVC pipe located somewhere within 100 miles of my residence?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall the DPS would send you a form or it was at the police dept. It looked like a employment history as you were looking for a job. The first question was "Why do you own an assault weapon?" (in bold letters).
To complete the form properly, you needed a sales receipt, send in a fingerprint card provided by the local police. Then you mail all that crap in to the DPS. It didn't cost anything, just they would bust your balls at the police dept as they were to busy today and to come back next week for your finger prints. (The cops didn't want to be bothered as it only created more work for them.) Several months later, you got a notarized form back. I kept the original in my safe, a copy was rolled up and stuffed inside the butt of the rifle.
I don't even know if you didn't have a receipt and filled out that form, if they would even accept it. The state is that fucked up back then, and today even worse!

You know guys, I'm not in the mood to do all that BS over again. If they go 1 feature, that's around 10 guns here which are threaded for silencers or AR15s.
Great I'll be at the police station all day getting 10 sets of prints done this time.

They won't confiscate the guns, that would draw blood. But they are looking into drying up the supply ASAP. That would be harassing us using tactics like fees, forced registrations finger prints etc, so people get out of it.

Here is that old form... The gun here was sold to a FFL (which sold it out of state). I then went into buying only pre ban lowers and I built a nice collection of AR15s. As I get older I like AR15s more and more as the recoil doesn't beat me up as much. They are cheap to shoot too.
But I do switch to real guns a few times a year (Garands and 06 Bolt guns just to switch it up a little)

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 3:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks pain.  I was reading a bit into I and It looks like you could do a sworn affidavit in lieu of a missing receipt.  Who knows what that entails..... Maybe a notary public....?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 3:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What if I remove the gas tube and weld up the hole in the barrel and turn my AR into a bolt action rifle, would it be an assault rifle then??  

No, because the ban only applies to semi-auto's. One of my AR pistols is converted to single shot.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:49:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to think the DPS-3-C would be a good enough of a receipt.  I mean who is going to a receipt on a private sale, when you have a record of the transfer.

Quoted:
Thanks pain.  I was reading a bit into I and It looks like you could do a sworn affidavit in lieu of a missing receipt.  Who knows what that entails..... Maybe a notary public....?

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall the DPS would send you a form or it was at the police dept. It looked like a employment history as you were looking for a job. The first question was "Why do you own an assault weapon?" (in bold letters).
To complete the form properly, you needed a sales receipt, send in a fingerprint card provided by the local police. Then you mail all that crap in to the DPS. It didn't cost anything, just they would bust your balls at the police dept as they were to busy today and to come back next week for your finger prints. (The cops didn't want to be bothered as it only created more work for them.) Several months later, you got a notarized form back. I kept the original in my safe, a copy was rolled up and stuffed inside the butt of the rifle.
I don't even know if you didn't have a receipt and filled out that form, if they would even accept it. The state is that fucked up back then, and today even worse!

You know guys, I'm not in the mood to do all that BS over again. If they go 1 feature, that's around 10 guns here which are threaded for silencers or AR15s.
Great I'll be at the police station all day getting 10 sets of prints done this time.

They won't confiscate the guns, that would draw blood. But they are looking into drying up the supply ASAP. That would be harassing us using tactics like fees, forced registrations finger prints etc, so people get out of it.

Here is that old form... The gun here was sold to a FFL (which sold it out of state). I then went into buying only pre ban lowers and I built a nice collection of AR15s. As I get older I like AR15s more and more as the recoil doesn't beat me up as much. They are cheap to shoot too.
But I do switch to real guns a few times a year (Garands and 06 Bolt guns just to switch it up a little)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/500magnumnut/gun%20room/DPSFORM.jpg

As I said... It looks like a 4 year olds art work...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Oh does this state SUCK!

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, because the ban only applies to semi-auto's. One of my AR pistols is converted to single shot.

Yep, any AR without a gas tube is not a semi-automatic.  

Therefore:
Any AR stripped lower is not semi-automatic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, any AR without a gas tube is not a semi-automatic.  

Therefore:
Any AR stripped lower is not semi-automatic.

Ok.  Looks like we'll be doing parking lot builds if we have to present at registration.

If we don't have to present, I'll register lowers as rifles anyways.

I'm leaning towards compliance, as I want to be able to shoot my guns.   If I had a dozen, I'd think about registering some.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I've setup access to a friend's post ban upper just encase this happens. I'll just make several trips if I have to physically show a firearm.

As it stands, the only rifle in my arsenal ah, I mean collection I wouldn't have to registry is my 10/22.  I have zero paperwork for that considering I paid with cash and a handshake from a close friend.

Quoted:
Ok.  Looks like we'll be doing parking lot builds if we have to present at registration.

I'm leaning towards compliance, as I want to be able to shoot my guns.   If I had a dozen, I'd think about registering some.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've setup access to a friend's post ban upper just encase this happens. I'll just make several trips if I have to physically show a firearm.

As it stands, the only rifle in my arsenal ah, I mean collection I wouldn't have to registry is my 10/22.  I have zero paperwork for that considering I paid with cash and a handshake from a close friend.

Quoted:

I'd register it the. You can build it up to a 2-feature gun
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I had the same question. Just for info on the resulting clusterfuck this would be
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had the same question. Just for info on the resulting clusterfuck this would be

Yeah I don't want to register, but if I want to take my guns out of the safe........what choice do I have?

I am more worried about he police knocking on the door to check on firearms that were not registered, but are on a DPS-3, than I am of them knocking on my door about registered guns.

I'm keeping my mags though.  Fuck 'em
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah my wife is already giving me shit about registration and her not wanting to be a felon. then she tells me she's going to turn in all my mags, I told her I'd turn in her body parts in black plastic bags to the woods.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#21]
This is gonna be a slippery slope.  

IMHO, I will no longer be talking to my wife/family/friends about what I have/may have/ or had.

All it takes is one slip up and the Gestapo will be at your door, killing your dog and ass raping you because someone mentioned something to someone..

Welcome to 1984 people. Where your kids will turn you over to the Ministry of Love

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

IMHO, I will no longer be talking to my wife/family/friends about what I have/may have/ or had.

All it takes is one slip up and the Gestapo will be at your door, killing your dog and ass raping you because someone mentioned something to someone..

Welcome to 1984 people. Where your kids will turn you over to the Ministry of Love

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I have already instructed the wife under any circumstances to not discuss what we own,what she thinks we own or what we want to own in regards to firearms ,ammo or magazines.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Its terrible that it has come to this.This is the Constitution State and this is America we should not have to be subject to this Tyranny, men have died in foriegn lands to protect us from this, does that mean anything to any
of these people.VERY VERY SAD
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its terrible that it has come to this.This is the Constitution State and this is America we should not have to be subject to this Tyranny, men have died in foriegn lands to protect us from this, does that mean anything to any

Why do I feel Drones are flying above us

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they are.  (Or soon will be)

Once there is something like that Dorner dude out running around,  the use
Of them will be revealed in quickly collaring a violent suspect in the surveillance op, and all the sheep will be all "I sure am glad we have these drones...."

Progress marches on.   Think 50 years down the road.  Do you think there will be less drones then?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Back to the original question, the lower is the gun just like today.   Name of lower along with serial number will determine what it is and if it is a preban.  I think they will get rid of the preban status. That will piss off many who invested extra money on them.
Its ok, l won't give in to these spineless cowards!
Just dig in, it's only going to get worse from here.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I highly doubt they will do away with preban status. There are many other prebans besides ar15s that would be destroyed from a value and collector viewpoint if they were to be made to be compliant with changing laws. I can guarantee that no one will be modifying my preban Norinco Underfolder.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#29]
As luck would have it I recently secured two Northtech billet stripped lowers.  LPK on it's way and good shot at BCG.  Of course not shopping for upper and barrel. Should the new regs/ban is the concensus of this group that receivers can be registered?  All I have is my FFL transfer papers and invoice for the stripped lowers.   All thoughts appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I highly doubt they will do away with preban status. There are many other prebans besides ar15s that would be destroyed from a value and collector viewpoint if they were to be made to be compliant with changing laws. I can guarantee that no one will be modifying my preban Norinco Underfolder.

After the law is passed, you won't be able to transfer them in-state anyways.    Don't know how that is going to affect collector value.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As luck would have it I recently secured two Northtech billet stripped lowers.  LPK on it's way and good shot at BCG.  Of course not shopping for upper and barrel. Should the new regs/ban is the concensus of this group that receivers can be registered?  All I have is my FFL transfer papers and invoice for the stripped lowers.   All thoughts appreciated.

should be fine.  however we don't have a crystal ball.

Lowers are featureless, so there is no reason to register them.  However, you want to be able to register them so that after they are finally built up, you can take them out of the house.  If that is the case, you can either try to register a featureless "firearm", or stretch the truth to include details of a finished rifle on the registration.  If for whatever reason, you have to physically present your guns to these control freaks, you might have to swap parts around and get in line a few times.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Guess I am going to have to speed up my parts purchasing!
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#33]
It's a nib Norinco 84s Underfolder. I'm not sure if I will ever fire it. But in my opinion it is a collectible throughout the country.

My intentions were to keep it as a piece of history and leave it to my son. Maybe I'll shoot it someday, but I sure as hell will not be modifying it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's a nib Norinco 84s Underfolder. I'm not sure if I will ever fire it. But in my opinion it is a collectible throughout the country.

My intentions were to keep it as a piece of history and leave it to my son. Maybe I'll shoot it someday, but I sure as hell will not be modifying it.

Yeah, that certainly does have collector value in any free state.

Unfortunately most of our preban AR's are worth shit outside of CT/MA.  Exceptions being the 6521 and the guys with SR-25's.  Of course, sporters are collectable now, but those are not transferable within CT like the others.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 3:44:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have a norinco84, very nice rifle . Get mags while you can, expensive though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No offense by do you think any of these people give two shits about collector value? They are chasing multi nationals corps out if the state left and right through their failure to create a stable economy and tax structure. We have had a brain drain going on for decades and all the while everything about living and working here has gotten more expensive. Connecticut's financial situation is in a lot worse shape than anyone is willing to admit.  

We should put up sign on the border that reads: Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'd like to think the DPS-3-C would be a good enough of a receipt.  I mean who is going to a receipt on a private sale, when you have a record of the transfer.

Quoted:

I don't understand why the DPS-3-C isn't considered registration because that's basically what it is.  Every time you make a purchase in this God forsaken state a copy of it goes to DPS.  Surely they have to be filing that shit some place or creating a data base from it.  As far as I'm concerned that was/is my registration.  They know what I've bought and roughly where it is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 3:26:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Of course it's registration.  They don't specifically say it is, but it's registration.  Now they're pushing for total registration of every gun in the state.  Annually.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand why the DPS-3-C isn't considered registration because that's basically what it is.  Every time you make a purchase in this God forsaken state a copy of it goes to DPS.  Surely they have to be filing that shit some place or creating a data base from it.  As far as I'm concerned that was/is my registration.  They know what I've bought and roughly where it is.

Well, call it whatever you want.  I'm not saying that I disagree with you either.

The point is that if you want to take certain guns that you already own out to shoot after 2014 in CT, you will probably need to register them same way as we did with named assault rifles in 1993 and 2003.  Otherwise you would be in possession of contraband.   Right now you can own many guns with or without a DPS-3 and not have it contraband.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#40]
The main differences between using the DPS-3 as the method of registration, and what they are proposing in 1076 are; background checks, being judged "suitable", and the fees they want to you to pay for the rifle permit and registration card. Not to mention they want you to pay a fee, have the background check and be judged suitable each year when you renew the registration cards on each of your firearms.

Don't forget that those who move in to CT with firearms that were legally purchased in other states will not have those firearms "registered" via the DPS-3 forms.

I don't think that most gun owners in CT really understand what 1076 inflicts upon them, and how their currently legal property could be confiscated if they don't register it, are denied registration, or fail to renew the registration each year on each firearm.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#41]
By the looks of which way the wind is blowing  they'll ban sling shots, pop tarts, lunch boxes and suspend our kids from school for drawing the State of Florida because it looks like a gun. I've been trying to read all this sh!t but it literally makes ones head fall off...perhaps their intention...drive us loonie with loonie laws written and voted for by law makers named Senator Looney.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they are! and if not yet, they will be.

Link Posted: 3/12/2013 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And we wondered why our dads and grand pa's always told us "never volunteer information". During the Great Depression my dad told me a lot of the wealthy class would dress like the rest and drive cars that were crappy just to protect themselves from Progressives. When all the signs are right in front of us that a crisis situation is about to arise like a Katrina...it would be best not to advertize to the neighborhood that you have food, water and supplies for a rainy day. Well guys...the sh!t is raining down and its about to hail.

Link Posted: 3/12/2013 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah my wife is already giving me shit about registration and her not wanting to be a felon. then she tells me she's going to turn in all my mags, I told her I'd turn in her body parts in black plastic bags to the woods.

My daughter bought me some 30 round mags for my birthday. I told her don't say anything to mom
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I don't want to register, but if I want to take my guns out of the safe........what choice do I have?

I am more worried about he police knocking on the door to check on firearms that were not registered, but are on a DPS-3, than I am of them knocking on my door about registered guns.

You just opened up the can o' worms.

This registration scheme gives the CT Gestapo the "legal" authority to kick in doors all across the state.

And those Union whores will do it, too.

Don't think for a second that you're going to go on TV afterwards and play victim.  The media will have you painted as a lunatic before you even get a chance to bump your head while getting shoved into a cruiser.

Link Posted: 3/12/2013 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This registration scheme gives the CT Gestapo the "legal" authority to kick in doors all across the state.

Don't think for a second that you're going to go on TV afterwards and play victim.  The media will have you painted as a lunatic before you even get a chance to bump your head while getting shoved into a cruiser.

They would still need a warrant.
It could go very bad trying to kick doors and confiscate property- kicking in doors would escalate and increase the distrust level of government drastically! If done, it could be the beginning of a national conflict between the people and the state.
There will be no kicking in of doors- policemen do not want to be shot at by law abiding citizens because our state legislature wrote a bunch of shitty laws. The police do not want to be used as tools by frumpy lesbian and demasculated male legislators!

If arrests were made regarding high cap mags, it would be done during an arrest for something else. My guess is that it would also be used to guarantee that you would take a plea.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It could go very bad trying to kick doors and confiscate property- kicking in doors would escalate and increase the distrust level of government drastically! If done, it could be the beginning of a national conflict between the people and the state.

There will be no kicking in of doors- policemen do not want to be shot at by law abiding citizens because our state legislature wrote a bunch of shitty laws. The police do not want to be used as tools by frumpy lesbian and demasculated male legislators!

If arrests were made regarding high cap mags, it would be done during an arrest for something else. My guess is that it would also be used to guarantee that you would take a plea.

They'll have warrants when they present a pretty little document that says you bought something, but suddenly you didn't register it.  ]

While yutes continue to blow each other away in New Haven, they'll parade your ass on the 6 o'clock news like they just stopped the next water tower shooter.

We aren't welcome in CT.

Link Posted: 3/12/2013 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They'll have warrants when they present a pretty little document that says you bought something, but suddenly you didn't register it.  ]

While yutes continue to blow each other away in New Haven, they'll parade your ass on the 6 o'clock news like they just stopped the next water tower shooter.

We aren't welcome in CT.

I have no where else to go!
This is it for me

I think I just saw a black helicopter drone wizz by
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I wonder what happens when they kick my door in after I have moved all of my firearms to another state that I can legally possess in?  Huge law suit is what I'm thinking.  After they blast my door in at 10pm and scare the shit out of my four year old somebody is going to be held accountable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder what happens when they kick my door in after I have moved all of my firearms to another state that I can legally possess in?  Huge law suit is what I'm thinking.  After they blast my door in at 10pm and scare the shit out of my four year old somebody is going to be held accountable.

That will not happen
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top