Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 9:30:48 AM EDT
Every time I go home to New England (I'm from CT) I miss the weather, people, food, and I realize how much I hate living in the defense bubble that is northern VA. Don't get me wrong, I love love love the money, but I'd rather have quality of life over money. Obviously the selection of states is limited. Pretty much narrowed it down to Vermont. Some of the best gun laws in the country, awesome outdoor life, and not over populated. I would rather have a smaller more personal home with a fireplace, character, and 15 acres of land than a massive townhouse with neighbors in fart distance in every direction. I want to wake up and go hunt in my backyard or just let the dog run as he pleases. I'm sick of traffic and how it dictates when I leave my home. I want to actually have meaningful conversation with neighbors without the snooty, "ooohhh how much did that cost" bullshit. I actually want to build friendships on kindness and helping each other out.

As far as work is concerned, wife is finishing an MBA from Maryland, we're both cleared to the top and I have a degree in Intelligence to boot. Obviously that kind of work doesn't exist up there, but she'll have the MBA and experience, I plan to get my Real Estate license or use any of my other "skills". Again, it's not about the money as much as it's about the quality of life. Considering the Burlington area or maybe Montpelier.

Any feedback or suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Good choice to return to New England!

Thoughts:
Suppressors are not legal in VT if you currently own any or plan to own any.
VT has an income tax that can get quite high (I think it tops out at 9%).
NH has no income tax.
VT property taxes are lower than NH's but the overall tax burden is lower in NH.
Keep in mind, too, if you decide to live in VT and work in NH that you will still pay VT income tax.
VT has CCW with no permit.
NH requires a permit to carry, but it is $10 for 4 years.
Political climate in VT is a strong blue in most elections while NH was a "swing state" in the last election.
Depending on where you are in each state you really can't go wrong with ME, NH, OR VT in my opinion, but the tax situation in most favorable in NH.
You mentioned Burlington, are you familiar with the area?

Good luck on whatever you decide and feel free to drop a line here if you have any specific questions about an area. I'm sure someone here will be able to help.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good choice to return to New England!

Thoughts:
Suppressors are not legal in VT if you currently own any or plan to own any.
VT has an income tax that can get quite high (I think it tops out at 9%).
NH has no income tax.
VT property taxes are lower than NH's but the overall tax burden is lower in NH.
Keep in mind, too, if you decide to live in VT and work in NH that you will still pay VT income tax.
VT has CCW with no permit.
NH requires a permit to carry, but it is $10 for 4 years.
Political climate in VT is a strong blue in most elections while NH was a "swing state" in the last election.
Depending on where you are in each state you really can't go wrong with ME, NH, OR VT in my opinion, but the tax situation in most favorable in NH.
You mentioned Burlington, are you familiar with the area?

Good luck on whatever you decide and feel free to drop a line here if you have any specific questions about an area. I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

Thank you very much. Ok, so similar gun laws? NH needs our votes and the overall tax burden is less in NH? Overall numbers matter the most. We have a few vehicles, want a decent sized place, but land is the key say around 10-20 acres. Given what I mentioned for our job industries you think it would be a doable transition? I know salaries won't stay the same, but in terms of finding something?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#4]
She might be able to find a job that would utilize her MBA up there in Burlington. You could also consider something closer to the south and finding a job in Albany, NY or MA. I hate to suggest having to drive to each place, but the job selection is much greater over there than it most likely would be here. Just off the top of my head for "big" places down here, I can think of Mace, Energizer, hospitals..etc. Resort work and health care are the top 2 job industries in this state. It shouldn't be hard to find a real estate gig, they're all over the place.

As for taxes - I found when I moved from NY I had higher deductions, mainly in SDI (500% of what I was paying before). State\income taxes seemed to be about the same. Property taxes aren't too bad comparatively, neither are sales taxes. As noted before NH doesn't have income or sales tax except on prepared food, but I did notice in my search the cost of living was higher than where I am now for much of the state. Of course, you may experience something different.

As for firearm laws, either way you go you can't beat it but I love VT's laws. I can't vouch for NH, but VT has state preemption, and the AG has shown to usually be on our side when it comes to this. A few years ago Rutland tried imposing OC restrictions, ended up arrested a couple people, and was told by the state what they were doing was illegal. The only place we can't carry is in state institutions or schools (and obviously the federal-restricted places as well). I haven't been hassled (yet, at least) by anyone while OC'ing here in town, and I'm almost 100% sure I am the only person who OCs around here; I've actually never seen anyone else OC'ing in the entire state. I would be careful OC'ing if you do move to Burlington though, it's home of the hippies\liberals and you will get the police called on you..a lot.

The only two laws are related to Fish and Game, and those are no suppressors and no loaded rifles\shotguns in the car. An empty rifle on your passenger seat with a loaded magazine right next to it has been fine in my case, but again, your mileage may vary. We have no CCW\OC\handgun permits either, but NH's permit is $10 for 4 years and is required to be completed and sent back to you within 14 days, so that's not a big issue either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
CT has all of that and the jobs too.

...just find a preban
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

...just find a preban

property tax is a bitch in that state.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...just find a preban

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like NH has some defense companies. I might not have to make a complete career change. Anyone have any more information on this?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

...just find a preban

What jobs?  We have predicted negative job growth for the future.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe it's just my experience, but living in VT often means working in NH or MA. Unemployment in VT may be technically low, but there's more opportunity in those states.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seems like NH has some defense companies. I might not have to make a complete career change. Anyone have any more information on this?

Just off the top of my head:

Raytheon, BAE, Sanders, Juliet Marine, Wilcox Industries, Sig Sauer, And H&K.  There are many others, primarily in the  Nashua, Manchester, and seacoast areas.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
best wishes on your plans.

i graduated from md and live in ct.

i recently purchased a second home near stratton, vt a couple of months
ago and love it there.

unfortunately, i can't give you much in sites but i purchased
there for all the same reasons you listed.

one thing you didn't mention is do you do any snow sports.

i got my wife and 2 small boys into snowboarding a couple
of years ago and it's been incredible being able
to snowboard as a family.

cheers,

cl
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is in ME which would mean ME state tax, which I believe is always levied on joint income, even if spouse never sets foot in ME.  You would have to look into that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raytheon, BAE, Sanders, Juliet Marine, Wilcox Industries, Sig Sauer, And H&K.  There are many others, primarily in the  Nashua, Manchester, and seacoast areas.

Yup.  There is more than that too.

NH has a surprising amount of defense industry.  NH is also doing a lot to attract more to the state as well.  Mainly by siphoning off smaller defense suppliers and subcontractors from CT, MA, and NY.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Burlington and Montpelier are super liberal and wont get you the lifestyle you are talking about.  We dont have suppressors here which is something to consider.  We would love to have you but NH does edge us out in gun laws.  Politics and taxes too.  The National Center for the Study of Counter-Terrorism and Cybercrime is in Northfield, VT.  Would that be up your alley?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  There is more than that too.

NH has a surprising amount of defense industry.  NH is also doing a lot to attract more to the state as well.  Mainly by siphoning off smaller defense suppliers and subcontractors from CT, MA, and NY.

you reminded me that General Dynamics is in Burlington, VT
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
best wishes on your plans.

i graduated from md and live in ct.

i recently purchased a second home near stratton, vt a couple of months
ago and love it there.

unfortunately, i can't give you much in sites but i purchased
there for all the same reasons you listed.

one thing you didn't mention is do you do any snow sports.

i got my wife and 2 small boys into snowboarding a couple
of years ago and it's been incredible being able
to snowboard as a family.

cheers,

cl

I/we do. I've been snowboarding for 15 years....yeah, before they had fashion Also I've put thousands of miles on snowmobiles. The closing of route 84 in the mid 90's due to that massive snow storm saw my uncle and I snowmobiling up and down that highway. Yeah, part of the attraction to that region would be the snow. I like how it makes people slow down and appreciate the power of nature.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]

So this pretty much sold me on the idea

Reasons to come to NH

I'd list specific numbers, but I'd basically be re-writing the whole damn thing
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So this pretty much sold me on the idea

Reasons to come to NH

I'd list specific numbers, but I'd basically be re-writing the whole damn thing

nice find, just read off most of the list to the wife, i think we going to move and stay in NH, we planed on moving in 2 or 3 years but looking like we going to hang around for a bit after reading the list.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe it's just my experience, but living in VT often means working in NH or MA. Unemployment in VT may be technically low, but there's more opportunity in those states.  

well, i live in MA, and work in VT.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then move to VT already.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then move to VT already.

buy my house.  and make it so i have full custody of my kids.  then i will.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is in ME which would mean ME state tax, which I believe is always levied on joint income, even if spouse never sets foot in ME.  You would have to look into that.

My S-I-L is a tax preparer in the Portsmouth area.  This is absolutely true even if your home is in NH.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then move to VT already.

buy my house.  and make it so i have full custody of my kids.  then i will.

Why would I want your house? It's in MA.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top