Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2011 8:46:58 AM EDT
Did Forest and Field close? I drive by the place everyday(around 5:15 pm) and for the past 2 days the security shudders have been down and no cars in the parking lot.Just wondering if anyone heard anything.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I just tried the phone number and it says the number is no longer in service. Guess they are done.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Website says range is under renovation, and that the store is reorganizing and everything was on sale.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Last I heard that piece of shit theif Scott sold the place a few months back. I hope the new owner didnt buy into a train wreck.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah Scott sold it awhile ago (back in Feb IIRC). I know they had a fire in the range and were looking to get it repaired. I hope the place does not go under. It was nice to have a range right around the corner from my house.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
well, the phone # being disconnected is a big
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
All of their numbers have been disconnected.

The current owner bought into a horrible lease and a terrible reputation. I don't think the building owner cares if the store survives as it will be rented to a new tenant in no time.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
They were supposedly going to reopen the range as "The North East Training Center" and have both regular memberships and high-priced super-duper memberships.

See http://www.forestandfieldnorwalk.com/NETC

But I have no specific knowledge about their current situation.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Buddy of mine just got a response to an e-mail sent to Forest and Field.
They are temporarily closed due to work being done on the range and a pending legal issue.And that they will re-open in mid-August.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine just got a response to an e-mail sent to Forest and Field.
They are temporarily closed due to work being done on the range and a pending legal issue.And that they will re-open in mid-August.

got the same email. Mine also said that customers with items on order and layaway (including class 3) will be called when their items is ready.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope their legal issue winds up with the old owner in prison. Scumbag stole a garand from me. We agreed with paper work provided from SA it would be listed for 2500 he listed it for 1250 even though I told him I refused to sell it for that. He got the paper work , raised the price to 2500. I went in on an off day when an employee who didnt know it was mine was there and saw the 2500 price tag. then he sold it for 1250? I hope he burns in hell
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#11]
That is pretty shitty. I knew Scott was a douche nozzle but I had not idea he wa a thief as well.Did you pursue I
T legally?
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 3:58:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Posted on ARF and a few other boards. Without actually finding the buyer there was no way to prove anything. I wish I had taken a cell phone pic of the price tag on the rifle or found the buyer to see what they actually paid. We truely loved the rifle and only justified selling it to fund another toy/project. I've since bought an M1a built by Clint Fowler to fill the gap. So I guess its water under the bridge.

I still wouldnt piss on the man if he was on fire though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I still wouldnt piss on the man if he was on fire though.

i think you just made my morning...
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#14]
definitely want to see F&F stay in business and reopen.  the range was good, their advice regarding weaponry was valuable too
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Word is the shop is now officially kaput.  

ATFE supposedly has the consignment and pending NFA transfer items, per a gent who spoke with Norwalk PD.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#16]
yeah I figured they were done when they "closed for remodeling the range".It made no sense to close the whole store to just to remodel the range.I think it was shitty that 4 days before they closed they tried to sell me a suppressor though. I would of been out 800 if I had done it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Something does not compute here - new owners must have paid an arm and a leg for the place, only to have the doors shut for good less than a year later?

What is really going on here? Is it just a landlord-tenant dispute or something else?

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#18]
The 2nd or 3rd hand info I heard was the new owner(s) had a large loan when he (they) bought the biz & couldn't cover it.  Allegedly there is a small group of people putting together a proposal to buy it.  I don't know if they're going to try & buy the business or just the lease.  Don't know who owns the property, but I'm sure it could be researched if I was motivated.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I certainly did several years' worth of firearms buying in 2008-2009, and there must be many more just like me who won't be doing much more than buying ammo and maybe some accessories for a while yet to come, so it's entirely possible that business tailed off right when the new owners bought the place.

It's a shame - I had an idea for an ancillary business service that could have worked nicely with their range business, but never had an opportunity to discuss it with the owners.

I'll have to keep an eye on things over time - maybe it can be brought back to life by someone with deeper pockets.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I heard a bunch of things about why and how it got closed down, but either way, th enew owner that took over a while back should have changed the name as too many people know 'Forest and Field' to be synonymous with bad service and high prices.

www.ctguntalk.com - CT's own Firearms related Discussion Forum.

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Word is the shop is now officially kaput.  

ATFE supposedly has the consignment and pending NFA transfer items, per a gent who spoke with Norwalk PD.

I'm guessing I'm the guy mentioned above. I finally managed to get in contact with someone who works at F&F and they still have the NFA transfer items. Norwalk PD has the stuff that was in storage lockers and on consignment (the first officer i spoke with said they had "everything" which was not the case). After a while this was basically confirmed by several desk officers at norwalk PD (who by the way were VERY, VERY accommodating and 100% professional, though it took several calls over several days to get through to someone with the details). This was about a week ago, and i havent been able to follow up as I've been in Canada (on vacation, not fleeing justice). I don't know much more in the way of details and I'd rather not feed the rumor mill.

If you have an NFA item with them, email the address on the site, you'll get an auto reply about the consignment items but someone will get back to you in a few days if you have a question/concern (this was my experience)
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#22]
And lower Fairfield county is down to 1 indoor range.

It just keeps getting worse here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Did anyone else see this story?  It connects FFOS to sale of guns to convicted fellons.  I for one appreciated the convenience of the location and for the most part had reasonable service (from Scott and the new owner), but if the allegations are true then I am very happy law enforcement did their thing.  

http://www.thehour.com/story/504506/2
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Unbelievable new owner buys the shop , runs it into the ground and then has a couple of illegal purchases to boot. I wonde who was the salesman that did the sales?
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Jesus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:49:11 AM EDT
[#26]
"Stamford residents Jamar Blackburn –– a convicted felon –– and John Davis purchased two handguns from Forest & Field, a hunting store on New Canaan Avenue in Norwalk, and then sold the handguns to Uzar, the indictment states. "

Some creative writing there it seems. Im guessing this John Davis person is NOT a convincted felon and is the one who actually purchased the two pistols while accompanied by Jamar Blackburn the actual convicted felon. Reporters like to say what they mean but twist things just enough for it to sound like a huge deal. This is the news papers spin on it and Forrest and Field legally sold thoose two guns not knowing it was a straw purchase. Im sure the Hour will never clarify that though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Stamford residents Jamar Blackburn –– a convicted felon –– and John Davis purchased two handguns from Forest & Field, a hunting store on New Canaan Avenue in Norwalk, and then sold the handguns to Uzar, the indictment states. "

Some creative writing there it seems. Im guessing this John Davis person is NOT a convincted felon and is the one who actually purchased the two pistols while accompanied by Jamar Blackburn the actual convicted felon. Reporters like to say what they mean but twist things just enough for it to sound like a huge deal. This is the news papers spin on it and Forrest and Field legally sold thoose two guns not knowing it was a straw purchase. Im sure the Hour will never clarify that though.

On another thread I made comment of the convicted felon as well. Did F&F really sell to a convicted felon and if so did he pass the background check, or was a background check even run on the felon if he really purchased the firearm? Or as you say is it merely creative writing by the reporter to make that claim when it may have been he was in possession of a firearm someone else bought at F&F?

So far no word if this lead to the shutdown or was unrelated to the shutdown. Either way hopefully those who had purchased items that were being held by F&F when they went under can retrieve either their money back or their items.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On another thread I made comment of the convicted felon as well. Did F&F really sell to a convicted felon and if so did he pass the background check, or was a background check even run on the felon if he really purchased the firearm? Or as you say is it merely creative writing by the reporter to make that claim when it may have been he was in possession of a firearm someone else bought at F&F?

So far no word if this lead to the shutdown or was unrelated to the shutdown. Either way hopefully those who had purchased items that were being held by F&F when they went under can retrieve either their money back or their items.

Totally unrelated to the shutdown. The shutdown was for financial reasons. I have this info from someone very close to the situation. I do not know the status of any NFA items, consignments, or cash owed to customers. I will try to find out. I do know that range membership monies are history.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#29]
After Scott ripped me off I stopped going there for anything. Even if I had to shoot in the cold. I was just pointing out reporters twist things to make their articles sound interesting etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top