Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2017 12:09:18 PM EDT
Who does this here in OKC?

I have an AR barrel that I need coated (it's stainless and I want matte black) and Brownells charges more for shipping than they do for their aerosol products.

I'd like to keep cost below $30.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#1]
There is Harsh Firearms, they are well respected by folks who've used them but I have no idea what they cost.   I saw a new place advertised on Armlist and looked at their site but their prices seemed higher than a cats back to me.  Might not actually be too high since I don't really know what the going rate is elsewhere.  I don't remember the name but you can probably find their ad on Armslist OKC.  If it were me I'd probably go to Harsh just because they have earned a good reputation and have been in business for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Brandi.

I did request a quote from them and the cost to cerakote a bare barrel is $60. That was quite a bit higher than I was expecting so I have to pass at the moment.

As a side note, Brownells is out of stock on their matte black Aluma-Hyde II (for the next month or so), so I googled "matte black epoxy paint" and came up with VHT Satin All-Weather Epoxy Paint for $8 a can at Advance Auto. I'm going to give it a try in lieu of the Aluma-Hyde and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I have to strip it and start over.

VHT Epoxy Paint
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
When you go to Advance Auto...check out the VHT Chassis paint. I bought a bottle of it to refurbish my smaller drill press and my lathe....very impressive paint. It is thin, and it has to be durable given the nature of chassis.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Brandi.

I did request a quote from them and the cost to cerakote a bare barrel is $60. That was quite a bit higher than I was expecting so I have to pass at the moment.

As a side note, Brownells is out of stock on their matte black Aluma-Hyde II (for the next month or so), so I googled "matte black epoxy paint" and came up with VHT Satin All-Weather Epoxy Paint for $8 a can at Advance Auto. I'm going to give it a try in lieu of the Aluma-Hyde and see what happens. Worst case scenario, I have to strip it and start over.

VHT Epoxy Paint
View Quote

That's more expensive than I would have guessed.  I have some guns I'd like to have cerakoted but I'd have to rob a bank first at those prices.  Although, it would be a good place to hide the crime gun lol.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When you go to Advance Auto...check out the VHT Chassis paint. I bought a bottle of it to refurbish my smaller drill press and my lathe....very impressive paint. It is thin, and it has to be durable given the nature of chassis.
View Quote

In reading the labels, I'm 3/4 convinced that the two are the same product in different packaging.

I sprayed a test piece on a galvanized light switch plate last night and it's a good match for the consistency and sheen of aluma-hyde. It seems to harden a bit faster too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Hope it works out for you. All my tools and power tools were in storage for a few years and the iron tops and various other pieces became rusted, so i have been rehabbing all of them, with the lathe being last one. I used Rustoleum before, and it came out ok i guess, but it isn't as durable as what i have found with the VHT. The VHT feels harder on the surface once it cures all the way. So i will be hooked on that stuff for future paint needs on metal. Was originally going to use the engine paint that requires oven time, but after reading their website, opted n the roll bar & chassis for this need.

If you can, when you're finished with the rifle, post a pic, would like to see how it comes out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: If you can, when you're finished with the rifle, post a pic, would like to see how it comes out.
View Quote

Will do. Since I won't have the replacement nozzles for my Earth Brown Aluma-Hyde until next week and it takes a week or so for the epoxy to cure, It'll be a couple of weeks before I can post up photos of the assembled rifle, but I'll try to post a photo of the barrel over the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The upper receiver and hand guard will be painted AlumaHyde "Dark Earth". It won't be fully assembled until I paint it and the paint cures, but here's a teaser:

Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I had mine done by Calamity Arms out in Yukon. They did a good job in my opinion and communicated quite a bit to make sure the job was completed the way I wanted. Here is a picture of my rifle:

They cerakoted the muzzle brake, barrel, scope and bi-pod.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a sweet rig!

Calamity isn't much less than Harsh.

I'm beginning to think that cerakote (applied by others) is just too expensive for my use. I'll go for the Brownells baking lacquer or Alumahyde II for the things I need.

FWIW: I painted the barrel with the VHT yesterday afternoon and baked it (not req'd) for 45 min @ 170*. There was a small cut in the masking tape where I masked off the gas block area and some of the VHT got on the barrel. After the barrel cooled, I was NOT able to scratch the epoxy off the barrel with a fingernail. I haven't tried a razor blade yet. I'm encouraged by the results.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks! Funny thing is, I bought the rifle because it was a good deal and never intended to keep it.. ended up switching some things around, adding stuff and then cerakoting it and it's now one of my favorites.

I agree, cerakoting isn't cheap, but I also don't plan on doing it a whole lot so it didn't bother me to get this one done right.. I would be interested in seeing some pics of how yours turned out (final copy). I could always be down for trying that in the future!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a good pic of the lower:

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]
my first attempt at Cerrakote.

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]
cnjarvis, the lower turned out very clean.. good job!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
cnjarvis, the lower turned out very clean.. good job!
View Quote

Thanks.

Here's a pic of the barrel.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, so here 'tis:

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks awesome, would never guess it's not a professional paint job.  I'm guessing it's for poking holes in paper or pesky critters?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks! Guess that makes me a Rattlecan Renoir.

Yeah, it's for paper-punching and 4-legged varmints and predators. At least I hope so. Its first trip to the range was Saturday morning and the results were less than spectacular. Best group of the day was with 55gr. Hornady FMJ's over TAC. Group size was 0.955". I was really hoping to shoot much better than that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top