Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2017 2:27:14 AM EDT
Got to get a little range time yesterday, for the first time in a long time.  My spine is wrecked and I'll pay for it for another few days but it was fun and worth it.  Shot my Beretta 92A1 for the first time in around a year and, damn, that gun shoots sooooo well.  It's so accurate and sweet to shoot I frickin' love that thing!  I've not shot any other in the 92 series, maybe they all shoot that well but the 92A1 is just a fantastic gun.  Granted it's tweaked a tiny bit with the addition of the "D" spring to decrease the double action trigger pull but otherwise it's completely factory mechanics-wise.

My STI Elektra has considerably more recoil, being a .45acp, but it's just as accurate and insanely sweet to shoot.  I tried two consecutive instinctive shots without aiming at 15 yards and put both shots directly in the middle of the bullseye!! It was absolutely amazing!! Probably couldn't do it just once again if my life depended on it but was pretty awesome at the moment lol.  I don't know if all STI's guns shoot that well but I suspect they do.  I can't imagine even more expensive 1911's shooting any better and that's high praise considering how well those other guns shoot.

Finally got to test fire my M&P40 after installing the Apex Tactical DCAEK kit.  I was both impressed and disappointed.  I was impressed how smooth the trigger was not compared to the crapstick it was before the DCAEK but very disappointed how heavy the trigger was.  The gun definitely shot better but that's not saying much since it was horrible to start with.  Even with the smooth trigger the pull weight was so high it made shooting accurately difficult.  I really hoped that the kit would fix all the guns problems it's just not performing anywhere near it's actual potential.  Next project is to find out how to lighten the trigger significantly and see if that improves the guns accuracy.  It's a great gun, excellent ergonomics and great potential but those boneheads at S&W really released the original with a truly shitty trigger.  They should have recalled every stinkin' one of them and installed a redesigned trigger system in them .  Hopefully after I lighten the trigger it will shoot as it's supposed to.

To end the day I took out the HK MP5 SD 22 for the first time in at least a year and half.  It had been so long I was considering selling it.  Since I already have three .22LR long guns, without the MP5, I decided to bring it, shoot it and decide whether I wanted to keep it or not.  Just a few shots into the first mag and I was smiling ear to ear.  I remember why I love that gun so much again!  Mines equipped with a top rail where I have a Vortex Strikefire installed (Gen 1 with the magnifier and the red or green dot).  It is AWESOME to shoot!!! The Umarex/Walther model (which mine is) has the same weight/balance etc as the real thing except caliber and is more fun than flogging frogs!! I'm definitely not selling .

Anywho...not exciting stuff but as dead as this place is it surely counts as riveting reading lol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The DCAEK is the Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit, that's the kit with a heavier trigger for safety, they make a competition kit with lighter springs, or you can buy the springs separately in kit #100-065 Competition spring kit for $25.95
https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Category?categoryId=20
View Quote

Yup, I knew that going into it but the competition kit wasn't recommended for a carry/home defense gun.  From what I read the trigger weight with the DCAEK is supposed to be the same weight or just a tiny bit heavier than stock but it definitely feels much heavier than the stock setup.  I can't say for sure since before the DCAEK it was so gritty you couldn't guess the trigger weight worth a darn but it sure seems much heavier now.  I'm going to try putting the stock factory trigger spring back in while keeping everything else from the DCAEK installed.  A lot of folks say just putting the factory spring back in with the DCAEK reduces the trigger weight considerably.  If that doesn't work I'm going to do just what you said and buy a lighter spring kit.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying a PC CORE at the time but this was the only one I could find during the big ammo shortage when .40S&W was all that was available.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
What did you hit the range with?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:27:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]

That's a nice setup...exactly what I should have done.  Once I get the trigger sorted all I need to do is get the slide milled for an RMR and buy a 9mm conversion barrel for it.  After that she should be a sweet shooting M&P40/9 Pseudo-CORE.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pure awesomeness
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pure awesomeness
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pure awesomeness

I was positive it wasn't modesty!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pure awesomeness

Indeed...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top