Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2017 5:06:02 AM EDT
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a complete lightweight upper minus BCG and CH or put one together piece by piece.  What can I expect to pay to build an upper minus the cost of the barrel and handguard?  I already have a complete lower and a handguard and the barrel is still up in the air.  It's going to be a flattop lightweight home defense gun with a 16" pencil barrel sporting an F marked FSB and a simple Magpul MOE carbine handguard.  I'm going just as inexpensive as can possibly be without sacrificing quality.  Since I've never built an upper before and honestly I'm pretty overwhelmed looking at all the different prices and brands of parts out there I figured you guys would have a pretty good of idea of what an upper build would cost give or take.  That's sans the barrel and handguard of course.  Doesn't have to be an exact figure just a reasonable guess from past builds you've done.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Its not hard with the right tools. Check this out..

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/build-an-ar-15-tools-and-materials/

If you not going to build it your self, I would just buy one complete...
You will spend money on the tools necessary so if you only plan on doing this once I would again just buy a complete barreled upper..
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't help you with the cost, prices float around so much any build more than 3 or 4 months ago probably won't help you.

So my question is, are you wanting a flat top or an A2 carry handle style?

IMHO if building a flat top, the upper receiver is so simple all you have is the spring loaded dust cover and the bolt pusher.

If you are looking at a A2 style with rear sight, I'd definitely buy that already assembled, all those little parts in the rear sight are a pain in the butt.

Either way, already assembled upper receivers, no barrel etc, are already pretty cheap.
View Quote

It'll be a flat top.  I can't afford a full upper at the moment unless it's really, really cheap (inexpensive) which is why I'm considering the build a bear route.  I already have the complete lower and the handguard which means I just need everything else.  The only requirements are flat top, pencil barrel, carbine length gas system (requirement for the handguard so it's non-negotiable).  An upper like that is both rare and expensive which is why I'm thinking I may just have to build it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its not hard with the right tools. Check this out..

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/build-an-ar-15-tools-and-materials/

If you not going to build it your self, I would just buy one complete...
You will spend money on the tools necessary so if you only plan on doing this once I would again just buy a complete barreled upper..
View Quote

Hmm...good point that I hadn't considered.  I do have all the tools necessary except the receiver blocks, roll pin punches (I have the regular punches),  nylon/brass hammer, torque wrench (I have the Wheeler FAT wrench though) and head space gauges.  So...yeah...that's an expense I hadn't planned for.  I could probably borrow some things but I don't know about all of them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

That would be a good deal but it's a mid length gas system which won't work with my handguard on this build.  

I still need to get my handguard for my 6.5 Grendel and a scope for my 10/22 which is going to be about a combined $330 and I have exactly $600 which means no matter how I work this I'm not getting a full upper.  I can either use the left over money to buy a barrel and a few other parts for a future build or I can just give up on the lightweight AR build and spend the extra money on something else I need.

I've been thinking about selling my blued Blackhawk Convertible .45Colt/.45acp and buying a stainless .45 Colt Blackhawk Bisley, which is what I wanted when I bought the blued model.  I love the blued gun, it's like new but my heart is set on a stainless Bisley Blackhawk .45 Colt.  I love having the option of shooting .45 acp and .45 Super in the same gun as .45 Colt but I'd rather have a Bisley so maybe that's what I should do.  With the money I can get from selling my Blackhawk and another $250 I can afford the Bisley.  Decisions, decisions, decisions......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top