Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of looks like a mountain lion to me.  Plenty of sightings occur around central Oklahoma.  Not "frequently," but certainly not extremely rare...

Steve
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
its a dog.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
wingman --

Reading your post, where you were talking about the "wide stance of the front legs," I think we are seeing the image differently.  To me, the animal is angling away from the camera.  Here is an edited picture, showing what I see...

For reference, here is a pic of a mountain lion for comparison purposes.

One giveaway, to me, is the black-tipped tail that is common on a mountain lion, and which is, in my opinion, obvious in the game cam picture...

Steve

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
wingman,

You make a very good point about the way the animal is holding its tail.  I agree that all pictures of mountain lions I've seen have them carrying their tail with that "bow" in it, like my bottom photo showed.

The only time I could imagine the tail being carried "straight" like that is if the lion were "stalking" prey, which is unlikely to have been the case in that game cam photo.

But, you make a couple of good points as to why it may be a dog, not a mountain lion.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You are right -- it does look like a pointer "on point..."

Steve
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#9]
choot it!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had a very tense meeting with a mountain lion in the wild.  Still gives me the willies when I think of it.  I've also had friends who kept multiple mountain lions as pets...  Yeah, like sitting on the sofa while a full grown lion roams around the living room and then chooses to stand inches in front of me staring at me while the owner says "Just don't stare at her or make any sudden movements and you'll be fine".   No problem there, I'm too damn nervous to move, breathe or blink.  

To me the picture looks more like a dog or something with mange.  I'm no expert but from what I've seen in captivity and in the wild, they tend to walk with their tails hung low, almost touching the ground while canines tend to keep their tails more upright.  No matter what, the photo isn't good enough to say one way or the other definitively.  One thing for sure though, there are more cougars in northern Oklahoma than our state biologists think.  Whether they are the result of wild cats moving north on their own or from being released by folks who illegally took young ones in for pets and then couldn't control them or didn't want to risk getting caught with them, they are there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh. And I vote Mt. Lion.

When is the last time you've seen a buckskin-colored dog with a black-tipped tail (with multiple inflection points, no less) and the high shoulder blade bump of a cat? I ain't seen um.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That. Is. Awesome!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Might be a possum exposed to radiation.  Where's the closest nuclear power plant?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top