Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2016 1:38:25 PM EDT
Hi all.

I was wondering if there are any good places to shoot (preferably outdoors) near Norman, aside from Lexington WMA's range.  Every time I make the half-hour drive to the Lexington range, it's packed full of shooters, and 90% of the time I don't even get to fire a round.  I have a new AR that I've only been able to shoot a couple of times due to this, a new .22 AR for my daughter that she has yet to be able to fire, and a brand-new 9 mm handgun for EDC that I want to get familiar with.  Finally, my wife is interested in learning to shoot and possibly getting her CCL, but -- again -- a place to shoot nearby is a big issue that is hindering us...

I know there's a gun club here in Norman, but it's kind of pricey for me at this point, and plus there's a waiting list for new members.  I think there's a kind-of-new indoor range in Norman over on Flood, I think, but I don't think it is conducive for AR practice.  Is there anywhere else nearby that I don't know of?  I sure do wish there was a way for me to use the Norman PD's range just south of OU Campus on Jenkins.  That'd be SO convenient!

Finally, as a long shot, is there anyone that owns land, or knows someone who owns land, that is conducive to, and safe for, some practice shooting?  It would be much appreciated!

Steve
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
LuckyDucky --

Didn't know about Big Boys in Mustang; can you shoot rifles there?

Tri-City I knew about; it would be my best option but for it being private...

Thanks for the info!

Steve
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the additional info on Big Boys...

Looks like a possibility, for sure.  From the webpage link you provided, I see they do rent ARs, so apparently -- as you said -- I could shoot my AR there.

Probably not too much farther away for me than Lexington, too.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Big Boys has a nice range. No steel core ammo though, anything that attracts a magnet is not allowed to be fired, so tula is likely out too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a range called Fouled Bore precision out SW of Norman. The only info I can find is on their Facebook. They have a 1,000 yard range but also say they have other ranges. I think it's public. I've never actually been there but I'm very very curious since the last time I was at Lexington I was down range during a cease fire and a kid was playing with his loaded .22. Anyways, check their Facebook
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Very interesting... Justin Watts sounds familiar too...
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.fouledbore.com/

Fouled Bore Precision LLC
737 County Rd. 1470
Ninnekah, OK 73067

South of Chickasha

View Quote

I wish someone would build a similar range closer to OKC.  I would really like to learn how to shoot long distance but at $30 per range day I'd have to learn it all in one or two trips lol.  Ranges with that kind of distance are sorely needed all over this state.  Can't be a nation of rifleman without the ability to train folks to shoot past 30 yards.  Last year on Shooting USA they were doing a segment on the opening of the new CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park (aka the most modern and advanced rifle, pistol and shotgun range in the United States).  The show host talked about how the CMP plans to open similar ranges all across the country and the next in line was to be built in OKC.  Unfortunately, I haven't found anything about that since so I'm guessing it's still very hush hush and he probably wasn't supposed to leak that information.  Hopefully what he said was true and they do that because it's sorely needed.  The one in Talladega is amazing, not only with very nice long rifle lanes but they are also all equipped with cameras so each lane can see where they are hitting on the monitor without having to walk down range.  Walking back and forth on a thousand yard range lane wouldn't leave you much time for shooting lol.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Everyone --

Thanks for all the additional info.  Sounds like a number of places in central OK, with possibly another on the way.  Most are quite a good distance from east Norman, but at least there are a number of other options...

Steve
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#13]
there's a indoor range in shawnee, maybe wingman can pony up some details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top