Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2016 5:41:41 AM EDT
I live about 12 miles west of Lawton. Boys want to go hog hunting. I've only seen one big ass hog out here where I live. Where's a good place to hunt guided or not in south west OK?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
go toward the Red River. loaded with them.

I know the name of an outfitter by Duncan who is very affordable for hogs. size wise its a crap shoot, but you can shoot a lot of hogs in one day.
PM me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:24:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of these "guided" or "paid" hog hunts are just companies leasing up all the land they can, buying hogs from trappers, unloading them onto the leased land and then charging folks silly money to shoot them.  It just doesn't appeal to me and it's probably the number two reason why the hog population problem keeps getting worse.  Obviously the pigs reproduction rate is the number one reason.   If landowners were allowing hunters and trappers to take hogs it would help control the population but they are getting paid too much by the folks leasing the land.  I can understand why landowners get nervous about allowing folks they don't know on their property to hunt pigs, it can be a huge headache if the hunters don't behave. However, the problem is only going to get worse, much, much worse the way things are going now.  You can't even make a dent in the population when too many people are making so much money by keeping the hog populations high for commercial hunting.

I saw a show recently about a hog trapper in Texas who sold some of his hogs (those that met the weight limits) to commercial meat processors but most of his pigs were purchased by the folks running "paid hunting" operations.  Consider all the hogs purchased and placed for hunting then add the natural numbers created by natural breeding and the only ones that win are the folks who profit by keeping pig populations on the rise.  There's always folks wanting to hunt hogs both locals and people from hogless states but no place to hunt because the land has been leased up for "for profit" hog hunting operations.  So these folks are either out of luck or forced to pay ridiculous fees to come onto leased land and shoot these stocked pigs.  Granted there are some places around the states where you can find feral hogs on public land but those areas are tiny in comparison to the overall locations where feral pigs are found and are usually well stocked with other hunters.  In my opinion, the biggest mistake the states made in the pig wars was to allow hog hunting to become a business.  

Or I could just be bitter because I don't have any access to a place to hunt hogs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Posted by Brandi;
Most of these "guided" or "paid" hog hunts are just companies leasing up all the land they can, buying hogs from trappers, unloading them onto the leased land and then charging folks silly money to shoot them. It just doesn't appeal to me and it's probably the number two reason why the hog population problem keeps getting worse. Obviously the pigs reproduction rate is the number one reason. If landowners were allowing hunters and trappers to take hogs it would help control the population but they are getting paid too much by the folks leasing the land. I can understand why landowners get nervous about allowing folks they don't know on their property to hunt pigs, it can be a huge headache if the hunters don't behave. However, the problem is only going to get worse, much, much worse the way things are going now. You can't even make a dent in the population when too many people are making so much money by keeping the hog populations high for commercial hunting.

I saw a show recently about a hog trapper in Texas who sold some of his hogs (those that met the weight limits) to commercial meat processors but most of his pigs were purchased by the folks running "paid hunting" operations. Consider all the hogs purchased and placed for hunting then add the natural numbers created by natural breeding and the only ones that win are the folks who profit by keeping pig populations on the rise. There's always folks wanting to hunt hogs both locals and people from hogless states but no place to hunt because the land has been leased up for "for profit" hog hunting operations. So these folks are either out of luck or forced to pay ridiculous fees to come onto leased land and shoot these stocked pigs. Granted there are some places around the states where you can find feral hogs on public land but those areas are tiny in comparison to the overall locations where feral pigs are found and are usually well stocked with other hunters. In my opinion, the biggest mistake the states made in the pig wars was to allow hog hunting to become a business.

Or I could just be bitter because I don't have any access to a place to hunt hogs.
View Quote

This was so helpful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This was so helpful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Posted by Brandi;
Most of these "guided" or "paid" hog hunts are just companies leasing up all the land they can, buying hogs from trappers, unloading them onto the leased land and then charging folks silly money to shoot them. It just doesn't appeal to me and it's probably the number two reason why the hog population problem keeps getting worse. Obviously the pigs reproduction rate is the number one reason. If landowners were allowing hunters and trappers to take hogs it would help control the population but they are getting paid too much by the folks leasing the land. I can understand why landowners get nervous about allowing folks they don't know on their property to hunt pigs, it can be a huge headache if the hunters don't behave. However, the problem is only going to get worse, much, much worse the way things are going now. You can't even make a dent in the population when too many people are making so much money by keeping the hog populations high for commercial hunting.

I saw a show recently about a hog trapper in Texas who sold some of his hogs (those that met the weight limits) to commercial meat processors but most of his pigs were purchased by the folks running "paid hunting" operations. Consider all the hogs purchased and placed for hunting then add the natural numbers created by natural breeding and the only ones that win are the folks who profit by keeping pig populations on the rise. There's always folks wanting to hunt hogs both locals and people from hogless states but no place to hunt because the land has been leased up for "for profit" hog hunting operations. So these folks are either out of luck or forced to pay ridiculous fees to come onto leased land and shoot these stocked pigs. Granted there are some places around the states where you can find feral hogs on public land but those areas are tiny in comparison to the overall locations where feral pigs are found and are usually well stocked with other hunters. In my opinion, the biggest mistake the states made in the pig wars was to allow hog hunting to become a business.

This was so helpful.

that's her style...
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree, not helpful at all.

Was just in a ranting mood I guess.  My apologies
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
see, daylight good, 1AM is sleepy time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top