Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2016 8:09:54 PM EDT
Going to be making the trek down again for Thanksgiving this year to visit family. Figured I'd tote my rifle and go look for whitetail again.
Staying in Ardmore and hunting east of there on a couple plots I have access to.

Came home last year with a little doe.

Wondering how the population is doing? Last year they weren't leaving the woods due to all the acorns.

Any info would be great!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hunt in north OK, but my family came away with 4 deer last year. We saw a lot more than that plus a few big bucks (on game cams of course).
View Quote
We saw and heard them all over. But where I am the acorns were so thick, they stayed in the thick.

Had to creep around to flush them out. I left with a little doe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I am about 2 hrs east of Ardmore and one of the local Game Wardens said he is expecting it to be a great year for deer based on what he is seeing.  I've seen several doe and yearlings so far this year.  No bucks sighted yet but my wife and father in law have both seen a buck each while out driving from our house to theirs, which is about 2-3 miles apart.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have seen a few nice bucks and does, even saw a doe with two fawns.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I came across a decent size buck the other day in OKC but unfortunately it was either hit by a car or poached and dumped on country road because someone had cut the hooves and antlers off.  Very well could have been hit by a car and someone came by later and cut off the hooves and antlers because the body was intact and the backstraps were still on it so whoever did it came by after the meat was spoiled.  When I saw it it was ready to pop after too much time in the Oklahoma heat.  Antler bases were pretty big though, I imagine it had a nice rack.  Sad.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I came across a decent size buck the other day in OKC but unfortunately it was either hit by a car or poached and dumped on country road because someone had cut the hooves and antlers off.  Very well could have been hit by a car and someone came by later and cut off the hooves and antlers because the body was intact and the backstraps were still on it so whoever did it came by after the meat was spoiled.  When I saw it it was ready to pop after too much time in the Oklahoma heat.  Antler bases were pretty big though, I imagine it had a nice rack.  Sad.
View Quote
Bummer, that you didn't get to it first!

Thanks for the info all, I am getting excited to head down there in 7 wks or so.

Im not having any elk success yet here...I keep seeing HUGE ASS MOOSE...which I don't have tags for
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info all, I am getting excited to head down there in 7 wks or so.

Im not having any elk success yet here...I keep seeing HUGE ASS MOOSE...which I don't have tags for
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would LOVE to hunt moose.  I've always wanted a big ol' Bullwinkle over the fireplace.  I have a list of hunts that I wanted to do before the end.  Top of the list at #1 is bison/buffalo, #2 Moose, #3 Elk and then #5 feral hogs.  Won't be crossing any of those off the list it seems but meh.  

If you get anything post up some picks, I hunt vicariously these days.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would LOVE to hunt moose.  I've always wanted a big ol' Bullwinkle over the fireplace.  I have a list of hunts that I wanted to do before the end.  Top of the list at #1 is bison/buffalo, #2 Moose, #3 Elk and then #5 feral hogs.  Won't be crossing any of those off the list it seems but meh.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I will post pics for sure. Feel pretty good about the leases I have access to down there. Lots of critters...and hogs. If I get a cow elk or mule deer Ill cross post here.

Moose have been re-population in my area for several years. I hunt unit 38 here. Issue is the moose are breeding like crazy, but the CDOW is behind tracking the population.

I have see 4 moose while elk hunting this month.

CDOW being behind means that there are only something like 3 moose tags issued for my unit. Guessing there are several hundred elk and deer each.

Oh and here is something my old boss talked about for years. He wanted me to throw in on some meat, cause its not cheap.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about a bear? Maybe a Grizzly? Using only a 454 casull. I've always wanted a bear skin rug.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's ODWC, not DOW.
View Quote
Ours is CDOW

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I miss out every year . Have been looking for a place to hunt and to try out my black powder 45-70 shells on a deer , would love to get a doe to try and make venison haggis. If anyone knows of a spot or could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I miss out every year . Have been looking for a place to hunt and to try out my black powder 45-70 shells on a deer , would love to get a doe to try and make venison haggis. If anyone knows of a spot or could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
View Quote
I figure these are the  best places  to hunt.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:58:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What about a bear? Maybe a Grizzly? Using only a 454 casull. I've always wanted a bear skin rug.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I like bears too much to shoot one, unless it's trying to kill me of course.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I will post pics for sure. Feel pretty good about the leases I have access to down there. Lots of critters...and hogs. If I get a cow elk or mule deer Ill cross post here.

Moose have been re-population in my area for several years. I hunt unit 38 here. Issue is the moose are breeding like crazy, but the CDOW is behind tracking the population.

CDOW being behind means that there are only something like 3 moose tags issued for my unit. Guessing there are several hundred elk and deer each.

Oh and here is something my old boss talked about for years. He wanted me to throw in on some meat, cause its not cheap.

http://www.thbison.com/hunt.shtml

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.thbison.com/hunt.shtml

I've seen that before.  It would be awesome but more geared towards those with big bank accounts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always wanted to try haggis.  Most people turn and run at the name but being part Scottish I figure I should at least try it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I always wanted to try haggis.  Most people turn and run at the name but being part Scottish I figure I should at least try it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok that looks a little, interesting....  I had to look it up.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've seen that before.  It would be awesome but more geared towards those with big bank accounts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah pretty pricey. Bet the meat is great tho.

I have some yak in my freezer now. Deliciousness!

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#20]
We were talking about going down to SE Oklahoma to visit the inlaws for the weekend of thanksgiving, and I had secretly plotted to get some hunting in as well.  That got nixed when the apartment complex decided to tell us they are upping our rent in December.  So instead, we will be moving,  We may end up back down there, depending on the land situation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

We were talking about going down to SE Oklahoma to visit the inlaws for the weekend of thanksgiving, and I had secretly plotted to get some hunting in as well.  That got nixed when the apartment complex decided to tell us they are upping our rent in December.  So instead, we will be moving,  We may end up back down there, depending on the land situation.
View Quote
Bummer no whitetail hunting. Good luck with your move.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Should be good. I'm in South-Central Oklahoma and usually spend at least one day a week in the woods year round. We had a mild winter, wet spring and fairly mild summer and it seems all things mammal around here have prospered. We have lots of hogs and deer in the usual places. Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Should be good. I'm in South-Central Oklahoma and usually spend at least one day a week in the woods year round. We had a mild winter, wet spring and fairly mild summer and it seems all things mammal around here have prospered. We have lots of hogs and deer in the usual places. Good luck to you!
View Quote

Thank you for that info. I am feel pretty good about whitetail, and the bonus would be a piggy(s)!

Had some pigs scare me off my feet last year...those things are LOUD when they get spooked out of the bushes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've heard rumors of 800lb+ piggies in some areas of OK.

View Quote

Oklazilla's?  They were probably just big foot youngun's rooting around for snacks in between terrorizing folks lol.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know what part of the state you are in but if you can make it out to Black Kettle WMA for gun season I suggest that.  It's a fairly open area but if you study google maps you can see a lot of natural choke points to set up on.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Oklazilla's?  They were probably just big foot youngun's rooting around for snacks in between terrorizing folks lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard rumors of 800lb+ piggies in some areas of OK.

Bet they taste terrible

I want 8 100lbs piggy's right??
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't know what part of the state you are in but if you can make it out to Black Kettle WMA for gun season I suggest that.  It's a fairly open area but if you study google maps you can see a lot of natural choke points to set up on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we talked about this spot last summer

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top