Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 12:49:46 AM EDT
Hey guys I just got word from my hunting buddy that we have access to some land to hunt near Davis. We live about 10-15 miles south of the Red River, so the drive isn't going to be terrible. And being from Texas yall probably don't want to help lol.

First question is how is the hunting in that area?

Second we are going to be bow hunting and would like to carry handguns with us. Is this a no no even on private land? We do not have License to Carry.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not hunted around Davis. I don't think it's a good idea to carry handguns while hunting without the CCWP. Oklahoma honors Texas permits. Most people will tell you go for it but I say what's your excuse for not getting your permit?  On private land you will probably not have a problem. Good luck I hope y'all have a good time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
no one will give you any grief, but you are suppose to have a CCW to carry a pistol while bow hunting.  be sure to buy all the necessary licenses and tags.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as you have either a Texas or Oklahoma carry permit you can carry a handgun during bow season.  If you don't have one of those it's a no no and the game ranger will most likely tag you for hunting with illegal means whether you are hunting with it or not.  However, if you are bow hunting in a season where using a handgun is legal means of taking you are good to go (assuming the handgun meets the legal requirement for hunting that season of course).  

Hope that helps :)
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys

Hopefully soon we can get up there to look at it.  

Next question is there a big population of hogs around Davis? Can we hunt hogs with guns during bow season? How about after season do we need additional licenses? I have looked at the ODWC site and I was wondering if yall can clarify their wording.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:00:51 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly, if you are hunting hogs during the season of another critter, deer for example, you have to carry the tag/license for that species and are limited to the legal means of taking that species.  So you could hunt hogs during deer archery but you'd have to use a bow and carry the legal paperwork for deer as well.  That's just so you don't have folks out there "hunting" deer but saying they are just hunting hogs.  I haven't looked at the regs in a couple years but I believe that's the case.

I don't know anything about the pig population in that area.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, if you are hunting hogs during the season of another critter, deer for example, you have to carry the tag/license for that species and are limited to the legal means of taking that species.  So you could hunt hogs during deer archery but you'd have to use a bow and carry the legal paperwork for deer as well.  That's just so you don't have folks out there "hunting" deer but saying they are just hunting hogs.  I haven't looked at the regs in a couple years but I believe that's the case.

I don't know anything about the pig population in that area.
View Quote

Thanks I was thinks that was the case which isn't an issue. I just don't want to show up and the place be over ran with them. I wonder how hard it's for a non res get a depredation permit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top