Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 8:06:42 AM EDT
Looking for work opportunities and the ammo plant at McAlester keeps popping up. What's the area like? What's the weather like in summer and winter? Good place to raise kids? How's the cost of living?  Anything else you could chime in about would be great.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm really familiar with the Eufaula area, which is right up the road. The weather is about what you would expect for Oklahoma, with high in the 90's or 100's during summer months. Oh and don't forget about the humidity being factored in, which can make it feel 20 deg. or so hotter. It sucks. For instance, the high for Mcalester is 97 today and the heat index will be 106. Typical from July-August. Winters can see snowstorms and ice storms, although nothing significant happens very often. When it does (Ice storms), power can be down for a couple of weeks. One time there were places where every power pole was snapped for a mile at a time. I can't remember the year that happened, 2007 maybe? It was declared a state of emergency and lineman crews had to be called in and contracted out from across the nation. I talked to one guy that said he was from the North Carolina or Tennessee area. Most winters haven't seen much snow lately at all. Disappointing

Not sure about McAlester, but Eufaula seems to be a bit of a sleepy town. It's nice there and I always feel safe there. Way safer than Tulsa, but there isn't really anything to do besides go to the lake or Braums. People are very friendly. There is a area or two around it, specifically about 8 miles to the west, that is way more sleepy and kind of decrepit and I've heard from more that one person that it's bad about people making meth. All it is out there is hay fields, ranchers, older retired people that don't have to depend on being close to a big city with employment, and some people that want to be isolated to make drugs. For me things seem to slow down the further south of Tulsa you get. There just isn't as much going on.

From my grandmother's property you can hear explosions every once in a while. She said it's from the ammunition plant. I never could figure out if she was serious or giving me a hard time.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up there and my grandfather was head of Ammunition Disposal for years. my family still lives there and I visit routinely ( almost every weekend from Sept - Jan)

good schools
small town
close to Dallas and Tulsa
Lake EufaulAAAAAAAAAAAAA

come to Tulsa for any major medical care, though.

I have several friends that currently work at the base, they work their asses off. the base is a neat place.

PM me for any questions. I have dozens of friends and family there.
I have thought about moving my laboratory there after my son graduates High School. I miss small town life. my biggest mistake was not moving back right before my son was born.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't add much to what has already been stated but the Ouchita national forest is less than an hour away. Eufaula Kerr Wister and Sardis all within a couple of hours if you like to fish. We hear the demolition blast over here by Fanshawe. So if hunting and fishing is your thing it's a good place.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't add much to what has already been stated but the Ouchita national forest is less than an hour away. Eufaula Kerr Wister and Sardis all within a couple of hours if you like to fish. We hear the demolition blast over here by Fanshawe. So if hunting and fishing is your thing it's a good place.
View Quote

you can feel the blast at Fanshawe?

damn. I had no idea it carried that far. they can only blast on certain days under certain weather conditions.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you like Italian food, Krebs is right there with several great Italian restaurants, as well as Italian grocery stores that carry a lot of Italian specialties.
View Quote

I prefer Rosanna's for Italian. get the Lamb Fries, but the Fried Chicken is the best in town and they give you lots of it. Lovera's Grocery is still rocking away. good stuff and they'll turn a deer into fantastic Italian Sausage for a bargain price. Matter of fact, I might go home Saturday to get some Lamb Fries and Ravioli.

now one of the best lunches in town besides Rosanna's is the Old Allens Market downtown by the railroad bridge on Washington.  they make a Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich that is the best I've ever had. day in, day out. their lunch deli is the bomb. I pretty much stop by every time I'm in town. they also have the best steaks - cut to specs.

sadly, Ball's BBQ has closed. but there are others.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

damn. I had no idea it carried that far. they can only blast on certain days under certain weather conditions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During the winter you can hear the windows shake in the barn. Tuesdays and Thursdays  are when you can feel it and they have a certain time frame. Then after lunch the coal mine does their thing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you like Italian food, Krebs is right there with several great Italian restaurants, as well as Italian grocery stores that carry a lot of Italian specialties.
View Quote

The best!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The best!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best!!!

I used to work in Alderson and live near Eufaula, Lovera's was a 2-3 day/wk stop for me.  Roseanne's for lunch and a steak for dinner, my stomach wanted nothing.  

McAlester is a good town, but Id rather live in Eufaula.

Quoted:

From my grandmother's property you can hear explosions every once in a while. She said it's from the ammunition plant. I never could figure out if she was serious or giving me a hard time.

She's correct.  McAlester AAP dets old ordnance just about every day at 10:00.  You can watch it from the hills West of Kiowa.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I used to work in Alderson and live near Eufaula, Lovera's was a 2-3 day/wk stop for me.  Roseanne's for lunch and a steak for dinner, my stomach wanted nothing.  

She's correct.  McAlester AAP dets old ordnance just about every day at 10:00.  You can watch it from the hills West of Kiowa.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best!!!

Quoted:

I grew up with the guys and gals who own Rosanna's, great food, great people. very underrated. best fried chicken in town by far.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top