Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2016 12:35:51 AM EDT
Hey all, its been a while since I've posted anything, but a couple weeks ago I was minding my own business in wal mart buying groceries for a spring break trip. As normal I had my 1911 holstered securely to my belt, no big deal: however, this time some knuckle headed older man (50's-60's) started to harass me about open carrying. Not the usual "what are you afraid of?" "Do you even know how to use that?" harassment, but trying to argue with me about the legality of it, yelling that I would be arrested, and generally making a scene in the middle of wal mart. I calmly offered a rebuttal to all his arguments, told him I would not be going to jail since I have a carry license and open carry is in fact the law, and generally tried to steer away from him. He went on to tell a manager and I happened to walk past right as he was doing so and just waved at the managers and went about my business. I have a couple questions for y'all though, what would you do in that situation, just leave and get groceries elsewhere or stand your ground and rebuttal even more of his invalid arguments?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had any negatives, only positive comments which almost always come from either older folks or females and it is a fantastic deterrent of money bums running scams in Quik Trip parking lots.

I see 2-5 people every day open carrying in Tulsa. ( 2-3 every morning at the Post Office).
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't had any negatives, only positive comments which almost always come from either older folks or females and it is a fantastic deterrent of money bums running scams in Quik Trip parking lots.

I see 2-5 people every day open carrying in Tulsa. ( 2-3 every morning at the Post Office).
View Quote

Now you've done it!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you did fine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't argue.. I would probably just walk away. If he continues to harass then contact the manager or cops.

ETA: OP, what Walmart?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:32:42 AM EDT
[#7]
It was the wal mart in Gainesville, Texas. I usually only get positive comments as well, on multiple occasions I've struck up conversations with people because I'm open carrying; however, this was the first time I've ever had the police threatened upon me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It was the wal mart in Gainesville, Texas. I usually only get positive comments as well, on multiple occasions I've struck up conversations with people because I'm open carrying; however, this was the first time I've ever had the police threatened upon me.
View Quote

Well there is your problem. You were in Texas...
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I see the same people every day at their P.O. Boxes getting mail with guns on their Hips. Postal Employees talk and deal with them without issue. don't even bat an eye. there is no 30-06 sign on the door.

Glocks, Sig's, a SW 66 4inch, 1911 and a NAA derringer clipped on a belt of a well dressed dude wearing slacks and a tie..

there has even been On Duty LEO's in there at the same time.. cordial chatter.. took place.. not a single word spoken about the handguns clearly visible. it was clear they did not know each other.

its the friendliest Post Office in town.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see the same people every day at their P.O. Boxes getting mail with guns on their Hips. Postal Employees talk and deal with them without issue. don't even bat an eye. there is no 30-06 sign on the door.

Glocks, Sig's, a SW 66 4inch, 1911 and a NAA derringer clipped on a belt of a well dressed dude wearing slacks and a tie..

there has even been On Duty LEO's in there at the same time.. cordial chatter.. took place.. not a single word spoken about the handguns clearly visible. it was clear they did not know each other.

View Quote

Of course not.  Those are only in Texas.  What the hell HTF are we in here???
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

30-06 is a generic term.. you know as well as I do that buildings prohibiting firearms are suppose to have signage.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#12]
30.06 is not a generic term.  It's Texas Penal code 30.06 giving exact description and wordage of how a "no firearms allowed" sign is to read.  If the sign does not meet those specifications it's supposedly not valid and can't be enforced.  These specific signs are not required in Oklahoma.   Oklahoma only states that that there shall be signs posted it does not give a description of the sign like Texas 30.06 does.  I'm not sure about Texas but government building such as the post office do not have to be posted since they are prohibited by law.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

30-06 is a generic term.. you know as well as I do that buildings prohibiting firearms are suppose to have signage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are buildings that are prohibited places and markings are not required because it is up to the individual to know the law.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There are buildings that are prohibited places and markings are not required because it is up to the individual to know the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With that being said, 30.06 & 30.07 signs ( or any standardized sign) would be convenient. No more of that printed out "no open carry" bull shit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only good things about Texas are the stronger beer, 30.06 &30.07 signs, and of course South Padre Island during spring break.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:25:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Only good things about Texas are the stronger beer, 30.06 &30.07 signs, and of course South Padre Island during spring break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not so sure about the signage.. My understanding is that In Oklahoma, If I carry into a business that is posted and they ask me to leave and I do, that's the end of it. In Texas its an automatic class C misdemeanor with a $200 fine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm not so sure about the signage.. My understanding is that In Oklahoma, If I carry into a business that is posted and they ask me to leave and I do, that's the end of it. In Texas its an automatic class C misdemeanor with a $200 fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard the same. That you can just leave if asked, but if you don't it's "trespassing" and at that point you could get into some trouble. I've heard that some people who conceal carry and don't always go back to the truck to disarm and no one is the wiser.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've heard the same. That you can just leave if asked, but if you don't it's "trespassing" and at that point you could get into some trouble. I've heard that some people who conceal carry and don't always go back to the truck to disarm and no one is the wiser.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have also heard people say something like "concealed is concealed"...

I also heard a guy talking about how they fully support private property rights but if the business owner doesn't' take it more seriously than to just put a sticker on the door, then he isn't really serious about customers security and so they, "the carrier" ignores the sign and carries anyway.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
30.06 is not a generic term.  It's Texas Penal code 30.06 giving exact description and wordage of how a "no firearms allowed" sign is to read.  If the sign does not meet those specifications it's supposedly not valid and can't be enforced.  These specific signs are not required in Oklahoma.   Oklahoma only states that that there shall be signs posted it does not give a description of the sign like Texas 30.06 does.  I'm not sure about Texas but government building such as the post office do not have to be posted since they are prohibited by law.
View Quote

and yes.. 30-06 is a generic term used by a lot of people for any NO FIREARMS ALLOWED signs in Oklahoma.. you are correct in the fact that those signs do not have the same meaning as in Texas. but the term carried over and is used by many.

it is my understanding that prohibited buildings still have to be posted....they have a responsibility as well for making sure no Firearms are on the property.

at my P.O.
nobody seems to give a shit. LEO's, Postal Workers and the Citizenry at large.
everyone just smiles and waves.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is my understanding as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have never seen even an imprint of a gun in the post office.  I am so damn paranoid about the feds that I park across the street, off US property with the guns locked in side the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have never seen even an imprint of a gun in the post office.  I am so damn paranoid about the feds that I park across the street, off US property with the guns locked in side the vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen an armed security guard in line but I think most people assumed he was a cop.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#23]
and yes.. 30-06 is a generic term used by a lot of people for any NO FIREARMS ALLOWED signs in Oklahoma.. you are correct in the fact that those signs do not have the same meaning as in Texas. but the term carried over and is used by many.
View All Quotes

Strange must be a location thing.  I've never heard of signs in my part Oklahoma referred to as 30.06 only gunbuster or no guns signs.

it is my understanding that prohibited buildings still have to be posted....they have a responsibility as well for making sure no Firearms are on the property.

The only place I can find in Oklahoma law that mentions signs is under business owners rights:

C. A property owner, tenant, employer, place of worship or
business entity may prohibit any person from carrying a concealed or
unconcealed firearm on the property. If the building or property is
open to the public, the property owner, tenant, employer, place of
worship or business entity shall post signs on or about the property
stating such prohibition.

However the first section under prohibited places is:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or
leased by a city, town, county, state or federal governmental
authority
for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

Most US Post Offices still operates out of Federal Gov. owned or leased building if I'm not mistaken.  Outside you are good to go.  Inside not so much.

Schools are not posted, and I have been to State and Municipal buildings that were not posted, however most are.  Even if they are not though it is still a misdemeanor (at least until November) law is changing to only a trespass if you refuse to leave. Unless it's a detention facility, courthouse or K-12 school then it's still a misdemeanor.

at my P.O.
nobody seems to give a shit. LEO's, Postal Workers and the Citizenry at large.
everyone just smiles and waves.

Good deal.  Just trying to let you know there are probably many post office locations that might not feel the same way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wha?  Details, please?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wha?  Details, please?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wha?  Details, please?

Have you never run into someone at an interstate gas station with a sad story about how they were trying to get home and ran out of gas, money, etc..?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Have you never run into someone at an interstate gas station with a sad story about how they were trying to get home and ran out of gas, money, etc..?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wha?  Details, please?

Oh, yeah I have run into that.  I thought since Quik Trip was specifically mentioned, it might be something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top