Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2016 2:12:31 AM EDT
I have been reading some of the threads in gd today. Mostly about people complaining about gun laws in other  states and it just reinforces what I have known all along anyway. OKLAHOMA IS THE GREATEST STATE IN THE UNION. Not just because of gun laws but for a lot more reasons as well so please feel free to share about why you love this state so much.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#1]
OK really is hard to beat. Not only do we have very few gun laws, but it's easy to find FFLs who do transfers for cheap cheap cheap. The few ranges we have cover most of what you'd need and the membership costs are again, cheap cheap cheap.

I have been on the fence about moving out of here for work and I always get hung up how some folks in other states are paying upwards of $45 PER GUN to do xfers in other states. Ridiculous!

On top of that, it's damn easy to find cheap 100% gasoline here. Go anywhere west and you're stuck with E10 or even E15. I guess some states have laws about some minimum amount of ethanol in any gas sold.

Let's see what else... not much population density, even in OKC or Tulsa. Seems we value our personal space here.

Home prices are SANE. $75-$100/sq ft means you can afford some peace and quiet on a very modest salary. Our neighbor to the NW, Colorado, is currently suffering from home prices double or even triple that, but the salaries there are probably only 15% higher on average. Again, ridiculous!

Few more things... we have Cox cable, which apparently is pretty damn good compared to states with Comcast or Time Warner. The other would be that we have this wonderful concept of a Tag Agency which means the DMV is left for serious things. I don't know why other states stick to the DMV model where you have to set an appointment a week out and then wait 2 hours just to renew tags. They also have to do things like safety and emissions checks, which I thank God we got rid of. Pretty much 100% of the time I pop by a Tag Agency during lunch, I can get my stuff handled in 10 minutes.. easy in and out.

My only few gripes: Dating scene seems to suck state wide. Guess that tends to happen when family values favor getting married early. Also wish we had some BLM land for long range shooting and dirt bike riding. These are trade offs I'm willing to accept for the positives I listed, though.

As you can tell I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#2]
All great points. I live in the north eastern part of the state and live 20 minutes from 2 really good lakes with plenty of good fishing and public hunting and an hour drive from the best spoonbill fishing in the world. I traveled for work for a lot of years and I feel safer in Oklahoma than anywhere I have ever been. I was born here and hope to spend my last days here as well. Oh and my gun club is 2 miles from my house and dues are 50 a year including free targets. 200 yards max but I cant complain.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Native Okie here, Stillwater.  I have to agree with you OP, though having lived in Texas now for 15 years, I'd lump them together in their awesomeness.  I'd be happy to live and die in either.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I do love the gun laws in this state.

I hate it how we can't afford new roads anywhere except for OKC and Tulsa, the rest of us have to drive on shitty roads while OKC erects ugly ass bird art over the new interstate.

We can't afford to take care of our mentally disabled or our teachers. The only thing they can come up with is more taxes. Why not give the state representatives and governor a pay cut? Probably cause THEY don't want to "suffer" and pass it on.

Other than that, I love my state. Born and raised in NW Oklahoma. Wouldn't change it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I do have to agree on crappy roads. They are terrible. Nationwide I think we are taking better care of convicts than veterans, seniors,  and mentally handicapped. That really ticks me off. I think our state has its problems just like everywhere else but lts still the best
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
but we paved paradise and put up a parking lot. (literally)

thanks, Mick.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#8]
GODS COUNTRY OKLAHOMA !...........
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hate it how we can't afford new roads anywhere except for OKC and Tulsa, the rest of us have to drive on shitty roads while OKC erects ugly ass bird art over the new interstate.

We can't afford to take care of our mentally disabled or our teachers. The only thing they can come up with is more taxes. Why not give the state representatives and governor a pay cut? Probably cause THEY don't want to "suffer" and pass it on.

Other than that, I love my state. Born and raised in NW Oklahoma. Wouldn't change it.
View Quote

Well, now let's be fair. The roads in Tulsa suck, too.  And the ones that don't are usually paid at least in part by the various Indian tribes to be kept up or repaired.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep wondering why I stay here.  Heat in the summer, cold in the winter.  Tornadoes, floods, droughts, earthquakes,Ice storms and even an occasional blizzard and one hurricane.  I just can find any place better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:05:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I keep wondering why I stay here.  Heat in the summer, cold in the winter.  Tornadoes, floods, droughts, earthquakes,Ice storms and even an occasional blizzard and one hurricane.  I just can find any place better.
View Quote

I feel like compared to most states, we're a closer bunch because of the tornadoes that rip through and F up everyone's S. The people here are a lot more genuine and friendly than in other states.

And the crazy ass weather makes us hardened.

95% humidity? no problem!
112*F? no problem!
5*F and ice storms? no problem!
140mph winds? no problem!
softball sized hail? no problem!

You can get by in OK without ever needing to buy skin lotion. Can't do that anywhere to the west of us.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, now let's be fair. The roads in Tulsa suck, too.  And the ones that don't are usually paid at least in part by the various Indian tribes to be kept up or repaired.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing I do like about OK roads is the nice, tall speedbump they put right in front of a bridge. A smooth transition would just be weird.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Apparently OK was thought of highly enough by our ancestors. I believe it went something like this: "Lets herd all the natives into this part of the country. The part nobody wants!"
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
AMEN ! GODS COUNTRY!.OKLAHOMA !..................
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Then when they opened it up, people couldn't wait to get in, the Sooner's were born.  My family came here about 1886, my Great Grandmother was Cherokee.

Photo taken in 1890 at Skullyville Indian Territory, my Grandfather is the little boy in the lower center of the photo, he was born in Skullyville Indian Territory, I have forgotten exactly what he told me, he was born in either a dugout or a soddy, a sod house, I just can't remember which he said.

http://wingman26.com/images/family/owensfamily.jpg

View Quote

My great grandmother on my mom's side was born in Vinita in October of 1907.  If you'll recall your Oklahoma history, Oklahoma did not become a state until November of 1907.  Before statehood, from May 2, 1890 until November 16, 1907 there was Oklahoma Territory, which was mostly the western half of the State (although it did include some of central Oklahoma and even a little bit of Northeast Oklahoma, including what are today Osage and Pawnee counties.  The South-Central and Eastern parts of the state (Chickasaw, Choctoaw, Seminole, Creek and Cherokee nations) were still "Indian territory".  Vinita is in Craig County, which was part of the Cherokee nation.  So my great grandmother was born in Indian Territory, although only just.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One thing I do like about OK roads is the nice, tall speedbump they put right in front of a bridge. A smooth transition would just be weird.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I agree with that. Last September I was pulling my boat behind my camper, went over a bridge so rough the hitch ripped off the back of the camper and off went my boat into the ditch at 65 MPH.

I owned that boat for approximately 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I love this state for what it is, not what it isnt. While the rest of the country is begging for Varget I can drive into Tulsa tomorrow  and find it at three different places. I can make a day out of chasing Spoonbill and hit them at three or four different lakes  in a day.  Oklahoma has the friendliest  population of anywhere I have ever been. I see Bald Eagles all the time certain times of the year. Hell look a couple of threads down and see the awesome elk that one of us took right here in our state. We share borders with really good neighbors. And we have the Oklahoma City Thunder. THUNDER UP OKIE BROTHERS AND SISTERS!
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#20]
While I agree OK is the best State in the Union. I don't base our 2A success of other states. I base them off of the U.S. Constitution and OK false vey short of being 2A friendly as does the Federal laws.

I know there is nothing OK can do about Federal laws but they can do something about infringements at the state level. Do away with SDA requirements and make it where anybody can carry in whatever manner they choose. That would be a good start.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
While I agree OK is the best State in the Union. I don't base our 2A success of other states. I base them off of the U.S. Constitution and OK false vey short of being 2A friendly as does the Federal laws.

I know there is nothing OK can do about Federal laws but they can do something about infringements at the state level. Do away with SDA requirements and make it where anybody can carry in whatever manner they choose. That would be a good start.
View Quote

A couple of points of interest on that topic:

1) There was a point in time (before 1868) when the US constitution was considered limiting only to the Federal government and not the States. This was the way things were originally intended to be when the US constitution was adopted.  

2) Oklahoma's gun laws are consistent with Oklahoma's constitution, which specifically allows the state to regulate the carrying of weapons.

"SECTION II-26
Bearing arms - Carrying weapons.
The right of a citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power, when thereunto legally summoned, shall never be prohibited; but nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from regulating the carrying of weapons."

You want Vermont/constitutional carry in Oklahoma?  You may have to have a constitutional amendment to strike the "but nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from regulating the carrying of weapons" language to make it stick.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1) There was a point in time (before 1868) when the US constitution was considered limiting only to the Federal government and not the States. This was the way things were originally intended to be when the US constitution was adopted.  

2) Oklahoma's gun laws are consistent with Oklahoma's constitution, which specifically allows the state to regulate the carrying of weapons.

"SECTION II-26
The right of a citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power, when thereunto legally summoned, shall never be prohibited; but nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from regulating the carrying of weapons."

You want Vermont/constitutional carry in Oklahoma?  You may have to have a constitutional amendment to strike the "but nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from regulating the carrying of weapons" language to make it stick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"SECTION II-26

I don't disagree with you.

My statement still stands. I just get tired of hearing how pro 2A Oklahoma is. When you compare it to other states then maybe it is, but if you are talking about our current gun laws in the context of the 2A of the U.S. Constitution then Oklahoma is far from being 2A friendly.

You guys keep being satisfied and we will wake up in 20 years and wonder where our rights have gone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My statement still stands. I just get tired of hearing how pro 2A Oklahoma is. When you compare it to other states then maybe it is, but if you are talking about our current gun laws in the context of the 2A of the U.S. Constitution then Oklahoma is far from being 2A friendly.

You guys keep being satisfied and we will wake up in 20 years and wonder where our rights have gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"SECTION II-26

Hey Smithy

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're not wrong, of course.  Here's the thing, though: to be truly compatible with the Second Amendment, Oklahoma would have to pass a law that requires every "able bodied citizens of the United States and all other able-bodied persons who shall be or shall have declared their intentions to become citizens of the United States, who shall be more than seventeen (17) years of age and not more than seventy (70) years of age" who is not part of the National Guard (organized militia) or "Oklahoma State Guard" (organized militia that exists in State law but not in the real world) to own a rifle, a full load of ammunition, and some other essential gear.

Such a law would be consistent with the Second Amendment.  Would you be in favor of the State requiring you to buy a rifle and ammunition?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're not wrong, of course.  Here's the thing, though: to be truly compatible with the Second Amendment, Oklahoma would have to pass a law that requires every "able bodied citizens of the United States and all other able-bodied persons who shall be or shall have declared their intentions to become citizens of the United States, who shall be more than seventeen (17) years of age and not more than seventy (70) years of age" who is not part of the National Guard (organized militia) or "Oklahoma State Guard" (organized militia that exists in State law but not in the real world) to own a rifle, a full load of ammunition, and some other essential gear.

Such a law would be consistent with the Second Amendment.  Would you be in favor of the State requiring you to buy a rifle and ammunition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you are speaking in regards to the Militia Acts. If so, then they did not require people to be armed. People already had the right to keep and bear arms. What the militia act did was give the president the ability to organize the non .GOV sanctioned militia.

On that note the militia that the 2A refers to is not the National Guard as we know it today. The militia is made up of the people, funded and equipped by the people, and controlled by the people. Having a militia that is in any way, shape, or form controlled or sanctioned by the government goes against the very spirit of the 2A. That would be the same as a militia that was controlled by Great Britain and that is what the Founding Fathers were sought to prevent when they wrote the 2A.

The Founding Fathers envisioned a civilian population that could keep and bear arms unrestricted by the government and who were able to organize to fight off any internal ( tyrannical governments) or external threats (foreign armies, threats from the frontier). Being in a well regulated militia is not a requirement to keep and bear arms. Keeping and bearing Arms is the requirement (so to speak) to being able to organize into a well regulated militia, because a militia without arms is an ineffective militia.

Anything that came after the BOR that limits, or makes requirements regarding the owning and bearing of arms is unconstitutional.

If there is a need for limitations, requirements, or changes regarding the 2A then pass an amendment.

Constitutional amendments, yes. Arbitrary laws, taxes, U.S. Codes, ATF letters, and anything that is not an amendment, absolutely not.

Shall not be infringed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top