Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2015 10:28:31 PM EDT
take a look at some of the Retro shenanigans going on.

for you normal people a model 601 is the first producton M16 and those handguards (all the furniture) are a really ugly green paint over brown.

believe it or not, this is NOT a record price, a pair sold for more a couple years ago.

handguards

now you'd think a sight wheels a sight wheel, right? Well 601's had the "R" cast on it instead of on the receiver, so...

sight wheel

now the upper is different in a couple subtle ways, so...

upper

a few more items snuck by and are already closed, but here's what one member ciphered up.

For anyone interested in the count so far (just for info's sake for anyone considering a 601 build...or selling one off)...

1-14 barrel (1280.55)

Green handguards (1445.00)

601 stripped upper (555.00)

Steel gas tube (48.00)

Type B stock and PG (305.00)

Rear sight assy (585.00)
That puts the sale at $4,218.55 so far, with the ejection port cover, charging handle and (mostly 601) BCG still to close.

Let's face it, there is probably no way he could have sold the complete rifle for what he's getting for the parts.

and notice no where does it mention a Lower, let alone a transferrable RR (have to add at least a 1 to the front that total). it's gonna be a Nodak Semi almost certainly.

takes DEEP pockets to do it right.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to have a retro, a correct looking one, as the A1 upper on A2 lower I had was a fun rifle but I couldn't get past the lower or having to wait a long time to get the Nodak.  This was a long time ago when parts could be had for a reasonable price.  Now that the prices have went insane, and the health is in the crapper, I doubt that I'll ever get that hole filled.  Just crazy how guns and prices have went the last few years.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
no one has to go to that extreme, a SP-1 ($1,000- $1,500) makes a perfectly acceptable "Vietnam" 604ish rifle.

yeah, that's more than a new 6920, but it's SO much sexier.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, the SP1 is more sexy than the current M4 and A2.  I wish I had been smart enough to fall in love with them earlier than I did
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a big retro guy but if you have the money to spend and that's what you dig then what else can you do? The supply of legit vintage parts is always decreasing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
the hell of it is there are literally thousands of m16's both f/a and neutered "loaned" to local LEO's that are really unsuited to their task.

fixed stock 20 inchers aren't ideal for the urban environment. (let alone fitting in a squad car)

the line is LONG for people who would GLADLY trade 2 or 3 16 (or 14.5") inch 1-9 barrels (modern ammo) for those old clumsy 1-12 20 inchers.

nasty old fixed stocks? i'll trade you tactical stuff AND pay.

flattop uppers for your carry handles? (so you can use red dots/scopes, etc), hell yeah!

or I'll just buy your takeoffs. easy money, right?

what's that? can't do it cause they're not REALLY your department's? and the G MIGHT want em back someday?

i won't tell if you don't.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the hell of it is there are literally thousands of m16's both f/a and neutered "loaned" to local LEO's that are really unsuited to their task.

fixed stock 20 inchers aren't ideal for the urban environment. (let alone fitting in a squad car)

the line is LONG for people who would GLADLY trade 2 or 3 16 (or 14.5") inch 1-9 barrels (modern ammo) for those old clumsy 1-12 20 inchers.

nasty old fixed stocks? i'll trade you tactical stuff AND pay.

flattop uppers for your carry handles? (so you can use red dots/scopes, etc), hell yeah!

or I'll just buy your takeoffs. easy money, right?

what's that? can't do it cause they're not REALLY your department's? and the G MIGHT want em back someday?

i won't tell if you don't.

View Quote

I hear that. Tell you what, I'll swap you a carbine kit with a carbine RE/MOE stock, MOE handguards, and a 14.5" flat top upper for that super gross A1/A2 stuff.

Imagine the killing you could make selling that stuff on the retro market.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#7]
You can still  build a retro rifle for fairly cheap, i think i have less than 600 in my 603 clone, i still need to buy a Nodak lower for it but i will still be in less than $800.  The parts kits are starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel though so i would buy a kit while you still can.  Once you venture outside of the 603 rifles though the retro world does get fairly expensive pretty quickly.

My 603 and 607 clones.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I miss my SP1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top