Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2015 1:53:01 AM EDT
Anyone fish Hefner?  I was reading that it's stocked with walleye and crappie but it doesn't exactly look like much of a fish producer.  Now, I'm like most folks raised in the country and I love fried catfish and all the usuals like sand bass, hybrids...  However, there are two kinds of fish I've caught and eaten in Oklahoma that I absolutely LOVE.  Fish that I would sit in a boat or a lakeshore or even rock riprap all day and night to amass enough for a good old fashioned fish fry and that's crappie and walleye.  I might even hide in the shadows and club unsuspecting fisherman who came by with a stringer of those two kinds of fish lol.

Anywho, I've never heard of Hefner producing much in the way of a full stringer but maybe it is.  I've lived a couple minutes away from the lake for several years and never really considered a good place to fish, more of a big man made pond than a lake.  Any of y'all spend time fishing there and, if so, how is it for crappie, walleye and catfish?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was a kid. 40 years ago. If we couldn't' make it out to the ponds at the family farm, my grandfather would take me fishing there.. We caught a few.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some good fish in Lake Hefner and they aren't too difficult to catch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are some good fish in Lake Hefner and they aren't too difficult to catch.
View Quote

I don't think the floaters qualify as "good fish" lol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The key on Hefner is a boat.  I've fished all over the lake and that's the key.  Overholser is ok but no walleye.  If you can go to Lake Reno in El Reno and they have saugeye which is a cross of sauger and walleye, and catfish is big there--Dans uncle held state record there at one time.  Oh yeah, after the OKC trout thing at Woodson they release the trout at Hefner and you can catch them before the water warms and they die off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The key on Hefner is a boat. .
View Quote

Oh yes, the truth has been told!
You can catch lots of sand bass over by the aerators in the summer with plain white jigs. Also sauger and walleye are easy to catch trolling off the dam. Before my knee was replaced I would occasionally wade out south of the water tower in mid spring and catch hybrids. My largest was 15 lbs. He was caught in 4' of water with a rattle shad.
Dan told me how to catch catfish out there but I am not much for bait fishing. He says there are some good ones in Hefner. He advocates using a balloon to drift the bait along the bottom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top