Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2015 6:42:58 PM EDT
So, long story short the front brakes on my car need replacing but the price for having it done is nowhere near our budget at the moment.  The rotors don't need turning so it's a straight swap.  Is this something that someone with no experience on brakes can do themselves?  Does it require special tools or anything other than your standard toolbox stuff?

I REALLY need to get these things changed before something bad happens and having it done at the shop isn't going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can spin a wrench you can do it,

Get a jack and stands
lug nut wrench or socket and breaker bar
wrenches to remove the brake caliper, you might need allen wrenches or sockets depending on car.
new brake pads
a medium to large c clamp

Depending on how old your car is you might or might need axle grease and new seals if you need to repack the wheel bearings, most late model cars and trucks have a hub with pressed in bearings that do not need to be re packed'

Get a repair manual like a Chilton's for your vehicle, its not a hard job to do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
And if there is a specialty tool you may need, most auto parts stores have tool loaner programs....but like other poster said, pretty straight forward...remove, re-assemble in opposite of removal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
what kinda car?

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Google it. Someone, somewhere, has made a video of how to do it on your car.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Google is your friend for sure. If you're stuck, I can help out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#6]
1. Take off ONE bolt from the caliper bracket that holds the pads. Rotate the bracket up.

2. Take a C clamp and push back on the piston to allow the new, thicker pads to slide on. May be a good idea to take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir under the hood before you do this. Just remember to reinstall cap after!

3. Take some brake grease and smear on the backs and ends of the new pads or they will make noises like mating amphibians when you apply the brakes at low speeds. Like at stop lights. Replace old pads with the new.

4. Take C clamp off and then pivot the caliper bracket back down into place. Smear grease on the caliper bracket bolt before re-inserting. There's probably a torque rating if you have a torque wrench. Otherwise just goote-n-tight (insert German accent) works.

$50 is about what I've paid in the past for front pads. One time I was poking around LKQ pull your own part salvage yard. Apparently someone had bought some nice Gold series of some sort front brake pads VERY shortly before the car ended up there. Looked brand new. I walked out of there with them for $1 a piece. Plus the $2 or whatever it is entry fee.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#7]
what kinda vehicle is it,because some are a lot easier than others,I can do a jeep cherokee fronts in less than 15mins,on the trail in the mud.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what kinda vehicle is it,because some are a lot easier than others,I can do a jeep cherokee fronts in less than 15mins,on the trail in the mud.  
View Quote

My old CJ5 was a damn money pit that I got more wrench time than just about ay other vehicle I ever owned, all the damn time it seemed like I was working on it..lol
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It's already been said, but yes swapping brake pads and/or rotors is a pretty simple task.  AutoZone probably has the pads you need, get the ceramic pads (not the semi-metallic, unless you want visible dirty brake dust in your wheels).  Get rotors there too if you need them.  

I'm in SE OKC and don't mind doing a simple auto repair for someone, as long as they bring the parts and pizza.  

I actually did a coworker's front brakes about a month or two ago.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, should have included more information.  It's a 2002 Lincoln Continental CE (Collector Edition 1 of 2000 - DAMN YOU hail ).

We had a mechanic check the brakes for wear and he said the rotors where fine but the pads definitely need replacing.  So far I've learned that we gotta disable the air ride beforehand so I'm getting closer .
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sorry, should have included more information.  It's a 2002 Lincoln Continental CE (Collector Edition 1 of 2000 - DAMN YOU hail ).

We had a mechanic check the brakes for wear and he said the rotors where fine but the pads definitely need replacing.  So far I've learned that we gotta disable the air ride beforehand so I'm getting closer .
View Quote
How close to Tulsa are you?  If you're close I'll come and help you out.  Drop me a PM.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#12]
One of the best things you can do is do one side at a time so you have the other to look at as an example of what's going on.

This guy does breaks and rotors.  He also doesn't show you need to pop the lid on the break fluid tank under the hood and cover with a rag or compressing the piston is quite a bit harder.

Looks like the hardest part will be removing the tire.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Doubled... Might as well say that I have the tools needed for a break job as well.  Will bring my 16 year old son who I've taught how do do to help with the heavy work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Doubled... Might as well say that I have the tools needed for a break job as well.  Will bring my 16 year old son who I've taught how do do to help with the heavy work.
View Quote

I appreciate the offer but I'm in OKC.  Thanks for the video!
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

YW, busy weekend or I'd try and make it.

Tip:  Turn the wheel of the car so so you can get at things better.

I compress the breaks with a LARGE C clamp.  One with a quick release is even better and \ or ask if your autozone or o'rileys will loan you a caliper piston compression tool.  Especially if you don't have hand strength.

A bungee cord comes in handy to hang things out of the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top