Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2015 12:34:37 PM EDT
Started learning to forge recently.  I need coal for my forge.  Charcoal has been working fine but it burns up quickly.  Thanks in advance.

Mike

I made this Saturday.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet.

Check your stocking?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet.
Check your stocking?
View Quote

Damnit, too slow. LOL

Pretty cool railroad spike knife, especially for a first project!

I've never heard of anyone buying coal around here.  I know it's common still up north where homes are still heated with coal or oil furnaces.  Growing up we could find it anytime you wanted and plenty of it by walking the railroad tracks but unless you are near tracks where coal trains frequent that won't help and probably wouldn't be enough to feed a forge.  I gotta believe it's available out there, I'd just check the Yellow Pages online.  If there's places selling it, you'll find them there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your local farmer's coop.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sweet.
Check your stocking?
View Quote

HAHAHAHA that's what my Wife said!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Damnit, too slow. LOL

I've never heard of anyone buying coal around here.  I know it's common still up north where homes are still heated with coal or oil furnaces.  Growing up we could find it anytime you wanted and plenty of it by walking the railroad tracks but unless you are near tracks where coal trains frequent that won't help and probably wouldn't be enough to feed a forge.  I gotta believe it's available out there, I'd just check the Yellow Pages online.  If there's places selling it, you'll find them there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sweet.
Check your stocking?

Damnit, too slow. LOL

Thanks my friend. This is turning into a trick. Finding this shit is almost as hard as finding 22lr!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI  
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
try this or maybe this (mail order).

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You could try a horse shoe supply (Farrier) There are some in OKC and around.  Call the farrier school -  1.405.288.6085

Or just call a local farrier in your area and see where he gets his.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
try this or maybe this (mail order).  
View Quote

Thanks sir.  Thats a big help.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check with a local blacksmith, if they still use a coal fire they could tell you where you could buy some.  Probably most are using gas fired furnaces these days.
View Quote

I tried to make mine a gas burner. It just didnt get hot enough.  Charcoal is working to get the thick Railroad Spikes hot, BUT I would guess coal burns longer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
pheonix coal company buy bagged or pick it up at the mine neer Oologah
I think about $150 a ton
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think about $150 a ton
View Quote

I came here to post this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think about $150 a ton

Since when does Oologah have a coal mine?  There's tons of coal shipped in there to power the PSO plant but I've never heard of a coal mine anywhere near that area.  Granted it's been a long time since been in that part of the state, did they start a mine there?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I don`t think they are in business anymore,oolagah converted to a gas plant,EPA mandate...
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think about $150 a ton
View Quote

Wow!!! That's awesome! Thanks guys. That will be a HUGE help.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don`t think they are in business anymore,oolagah converted to a gas plant,EPA mandate...
View Quote

At least it's a start. They may know someplace else to get it if they don't have it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
At least it's a start. They may know someplace else to get it if they don't have it anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

now GRDA in pryor is still coal fired,and lots of coal trains still run through there.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Oklahoma still has a few very active mines in place.

for educational purposes
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Hmm. I live in the Oologah area. Not sure where that mine is.

I do know there is a large area that has a tall brim around and a tall chain link fence just west of town. Maybe that's it?

I could try to scout around for you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hmm. I live in the Oologah area. Not sure where that mine is.
I do know there is a large area that has a tall brim around and a tall chain link fence just west of town. Maybe that's it?

I could try to scout around for you.
View Quote

Phoenix Coal - check out all the pages
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
MINE LOCATIONS                                    
       Phoenix Coal Company has mine locations in the following areas:

Alluwe, OK (near Chelsea, OK) is the location of Phoenix Coal's Kelly Ranch mine producing low-sulphur/compliance coal.

10 miles north of Claremore, OK is the location of Phoenix Coal's  Bradshaw Mine higher-sulphur coal.

Garland, KS is the location of Phoenix Coal's Garland Mine producing a washed coal product.

10 miles north of Claremore is Oologah for all practical purposes.
View Quote

there are strip pits all over that area and around the lake.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you called Jantz?  They may be able to direct you to someone that is semi local in the OK area.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
MINE LOCATIONS                                    
       Phoenix Coal Company has mine locations in the following areas:

Alluwe, OK (near Chelsea, OK) is the location of Phoenix Coal's Kelly Ranch mine producing low-sulphur/compliance coal.

10 miles north of Claremore, OK is the location of Phoenix Coal's  Bradshaw Mine higher-sulphur coal.

Garland, KS is the location of Phoenix Coal's Garland Mine producing a washed coal product.

10 miles north of Claremore is Oologah for all practical purposes.
View Quote

I am going to be over that way during fall break. I will pick some up then.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#26]
If there is a railroad track near by you might walk it and see if you can pick up a few lumps. Most of the farriers I know use gas. Farrel Cooper used to sell Lump coal from the laredo mine but shipping is a pain. Make your own charcoal out of the densest wood you can find hickory will last a bit longer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If there is a railroad track near by you might walk it and see if you can pick up a few lumps. Most of the farriers I know use gas. Farrel Cooper used to sell Lump coal from the laredo mine but shipping is a pain. Make your own charcoal out of the densest wood you can find hickory will last a bit longer.
View Quote

No railroad tracks close to me out here.  I will check on Farrel Cooper.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Check one of your local barbecue shops outs. They might let you have charcoal out of their smokers.
My father-in-law has a coal/wood stove in his shop. He bought coal from his coop to use to heat his shop a few years ago when we first got married.
He now uses wood from the land clearing he hires Mexicans to do.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Check one of your local barbecue shops outs. They might let you have charcoal out of their smokers.
My father-in-law has a coal/wood stove in his shop. He bought coal from his coop to use to heat his shop a few years ago when we first got married.
He now uses wood from the land clearing he hires Mexicans to do.
View Quote

Thanks. I will check there as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Phoenix Coal Sales Inc

Phoenix Mining Company                                        
                               525 South Wilson St
                               Vinita,                                OK 74301                                                                  - View Map                                                            
                                                                       Phone: (918) 256-7873
                                                             Web: Phoenixcoal.com

Phoenix Coal Sales Inc

A privately held company in Vinita, OK.                  

More Details for Phoenix Coal Sales Inc

Categorized under Bituminous Coal and Lignite-Surface Mining. Our records show it was established in 1993 and incorporated in Oklahoma. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $2.5 to 5 million and employs a staff of approximately 10 to 19.

http://www.manta.com/c/mm0f20z/phoenix-coal-sales-inc

View Quote

I am going to be here in like 3 weeks. That'll work. Thanks Wingman.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It occurred to me that they probably wouldn't be set up to do any sales at the mine sites, so I went back and looked for sales and posted what I found.  No idea what their minimum sale is, you might want to call them to check it out if you have to go out of your way to get there, but you may be close to them anyway.
View Quote

Roger that. Thanks again sir.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I went to Thomas Day Out (Thomas the Tank Engine) at the Oklahoma Railway Museum in Oklahoma City today.  There was a 15' x 15' pyramid pyle of coal there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It occurred to me that they probably wouldn't be set up to do any sales at the mine sites, so I went back and looked for sales and posted what I found.  No idea what their minimum sale is, you might want to call them to check it out if you have to go out of your way to get there, but you may be close to them anyway.
View Quote

they sell it in 50lb bags. the office will know where to go to.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Geez, do you think we can stretch this thread into 4 or 5 pages?
What an exciting bunch this group is!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#37]
3 pages tops...
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Geez, do you think we can stretch this thread into 4 or 5 pages?

What an exciting bunch this group is!
View Quote
well we could always start p&m ing about the horrible rapacious coal companies and the need for clean eco friendly fuel sources.

get some S started just to artificially liven up a thread.

or i could just go clean a rifle I just shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top