Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2015 11:40:26 PM EDT
Are there any archers in here? Specifically anyone with crossbow knowledge? I am tired of not being able to get out during gun season but maybe 1 day because of my job...so I bought a crossbow. I have a little over 2 months to figure out what I'm doing.

I remember Dan suggesting a good pro shop in South OKC before when I had a question.  It's too bad I can't remember squat right now and search sucks without a membership.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't remember the name of the place on the south side but we went there and couldn't get any help.  One guy was too busy flirting with some chick who came in to see him.  She had no interest in archery and neither did he while she was there.  The only other guy there was in back working on bows and didn't seem to mind that several customers had come in, got blown off and walked out.  Nah...everyone recommends them but I won't go back.  The archery staff at H&H was way more helpful and are always willing to help.  I'd go there.

I've shot recurves and compound bows a fair bit but I have no experience with crossbows.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Oklahoma Archery, IMO not the best place to go.  As much as I hate H&H their Archery department has always gone above and beyond for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I took a niece to Oklahoma Archery and they fitted her out with a nice recurve. Of course archery was in vogue with young girls a couple of years ago because of The Hunger Games so they had a good market and treated their customers well.
As far as crossbows go, check out Natchez Shooters Supply. Sometimes they have discontinued models at a huge discount.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of crossbow?  How fast is it rated?  Buy extra bolts you're probably going to lose a few.  Several of the crossbow companies suggest using mechanical broad heads as when they are closed they are the closest thing to a field point in accuracy.  The fixed style broad head can cause the bolt to drift off point of aim at longer ranges.  Shoot it at ranges from 10-40 yards to learn your marks.  Get some string wax, looks like a tube of chapstick.  Don't leave the string drawn back for long periods, NEVER DRY FIRE ANY BOW OR CROSSBOW.  

Thats what I've learned from purchasing one last year.  My father in law hunts archery probably one day a week during the entire season except rifle and black powder, that's the basics he's told me.  It's helped me out so far.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a Barnett Jackal. The box says it will shoot 315fps. Swhacker makes a version specifically for crossbows but I haven't found any in stock yet. I took it to Wilshire and sighted the red dot that came with it to the field points that also came with it. I didn't have a real rest so I propped my foot up on the leg of a chair and rested my elbow on my knee.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Archery has nothing to do with a crossbow
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a bow and string attached. Close enough.

I'm not looking to be an "archer". I just want to hunt and my job gets crazy hectic around rifle season. Last year I only had time to go out once. October, early November, and after Christmas into early January are easy times for me to get away for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Obviously crossbows don't require anywhere near the skill a traditional or even a compound bow require but they are definitely a member of the "archery" family.   Many archers turn their noses down at crossbows because they don't require the skill of other types of archery and I've always been the same.  Hunting with a bow is, in my opinion, the ultimate type of hunting.  Crossbows were always great alternatives to a bow for folks who physically unable to use a bow so able bodied folks using them during archery season tends to irritate many bow hunters.  In the last few years crossbows have become extremely popular with able bodied hunters and it will likely be no big deal in several years but until then many bowhunters will consider them "cheaters".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top